Lincoln LS Apreciation Thread

Recent purchase,
>2000 LS 3.9L DOHC 32valve V8
>5-speed auto w/select shift and hard shift kit.
>Factory Ram Air
>Alpine factory stereo
>16x7 rims
>108k miles, fourth owner.
>Leather everything
>All options except the sports package

Any other LS owner's out there? This is my first luxury car.
It doesn't have near the balls that my 4.6L SN-95 GT did, but the LS has spoiled me to death.

Seeking advice and suggestions as a new owner.
Had I known that neither Chilton's or Hayne's produce a manual I probably wouldn't have bought the car.
Currently seeking common parts recommendations, specifically quality A-frame sway bar bushings and/or quality coil packs.

Other urls found in this thread:

lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/threads/real-official-lincoln-ls-owners-guide-basic-tips-and-info.61616/
youtube.com/watch?v=538857MPzzY
youtube.com/watch?v=0sJhzk_KHRo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/threads/real-official-lincoln-ls-owners-guide-basic-tips-and-info.61616/
"1. Coils!!!!
The lincoln ls eats coils for breakfast lunch and dinner. Even through regular maintenance you might have coils and plugs go bad on you. Symptoms are check engine lights, misfires, dead cats and other problems if not taken care of properly. When changing these you might as well change the valve cover gaskets to prevent oil getting in the wells which probably damaged the coils in the first place. You should also change the spark plugs while you are at it, and remember to use good quality coils and plus otherwise you will have problems soon after you replace these. Be aware that any jerking, stuttering, or shaking can also be symptoms of a vacuum leak or bad pcv on top of the coils."

"2. Bushings!!!
The lincoln ls over time develops a hallow thud coming from the suspension. Most of the time it will be the sway bar bushings. In some cases it might be the axles, ball joints, control arms and others but check the bushings first as you may get other noises other then just the thud over small bumps. Inspection from a good mechanic or dealer (beware) would eventually find the culprit for the noise."

"Intakes!!!
The intake of choice for the ls is either the K&N intake intended for the thunderbird, or the kkn intake. Both offer pretty good performance and sound. Can either decrease or increase mpg’s as well, depending on how you drive. The most awesome thing about the intake is how it makes the motor sound."

Great car that has failed miserably against mighty German Big Threes and failed to make others to acknowledge LS is trying to be good as a previous gen German car.

picrelated: The 540 Lincoln keep "comparing" to the LS is the non-sport package version. So, what Lincoln has done is taken it's most sporting LS and compared it to the least sporting 540. A sport package equipped 540 will murder the top of the line LS in every category!

youtube.com/watch?v=538857MPzzY
youtube.com/watch?v=0sJhzk_KHRo

What the fuck happened to all of these? They were everywhere from the early to mid 2000s.

I assume they're parked in the garage's of eighty y/o women

They remind me of a nice car from the game Midnight Club 2, lusso xt or something.

cash for clunkers program

lincoln ls is a nice looking car.
i work for a ford dealer and people bring them in with lots of problems.
they are pos.
i would like to have one just because they are a nice looking car.

What are some of the most common issues?
Could many of these be avoided via routine maintenance?

I bought my LS in 2003. Not that I was bragging or anything.
The LS beat the non-sport package version of 540i in slalom, 0-60, emergency braking, and some other test.
People that are going to fork over the $$$ for a 540i don't give a fuck what a Lincoln does in performance testing.
Why I bought my LS was that I could not afford a 540i with all the options I wanted. Plus, sticker price on the LS was $45,000. and with all the dealer discounts it was $39,000. out the door. Lincoln is all but trying to pay people to take these things of the lot.
One salesman told me that the LS was a sleeper. Yeah, no wonder...when I think Lincoln I think of my grandaddy's car. They definitely do not target the right crowd for the LS.
Plus, most of the salespeople at my local Lincoln dealers are like 80+.
I am very pleased with my LS, and all-in-all it still seems a better car than the 318i I had test driven

If you read the fine print, it was a top of the line sport model LS with 17" super wide tires, against a non-sport 540 w/ 16's. We all know the 540 sport will pull circles around an LS sport any day of the week.

We get it, fuck off to a 540i thread.

I do recall repair issues becoming more common and more expensive, as the miles added up for LS cars. So, even Ford engineering was still pretty shitty in the long run.

- The V8 had no manual and unreliability issues.
- The V6 was rubbish.
- A door-latch break and had to dismantle the door to get it open, one needed plugs and coils and getting good stuff was a nightmare, etc. NOTHING was easy and NOTHING was cheap.

Niggers

Fuggg. So this is why I can't find a nice hemi Magnum

Not an LS owner, I have the turbo MKS, but the 540 is mentioned, and I'd buy a 540 over an LS because wagon.

I've always resented ford for not further developing this car further. They pretty much had an E39 5 series fighter on their hands. But they blew all of their development budgets on making a stupid boomer throwback trophy (thunderturd) and a ghetto-ready jaguar (s-type).

That is because Lincoln tuned the chassis and tires for stupid burgers. It could had competed imo if they had wanted to configure it so.

>They pretty much had an E39 5 series fighter on their hands.

It was pretty bad. see

>when I think Lincoln I think of my grandaddy's car. They definitely do not target the right crowd for the LS.
>They definitely do not target the right crowd for the LS.
>Lincoln I think of my grandaddy's car

That's why LS failed horribly. Ford rebadged it as Jaguar S-Type. It went well for awhile, but the terrible reliability killed it.

>when I think Lincoln I think of my grandaddy's car
mmmmhhhmmm

OP here.
Wish I was hearing more good things, I actually love this car.
The independent rear suspension is amazing, I've creeped and crawled down some of the gnarliest back roads around.

No suggestions a coils packs?
Are there any manuals out there other than the owner's manual?

Yes, I know it's not the fastest. But after having had an '03 SN-95 GT w/5-speed as a daily driver for two years, it's kind of nice driving something doesn't feel like it wasn't to brutally kill you every time the roads are the slightest bit damp.

The biggest killer of the First Gens is the hydraulic engine cooling fan. Or more properly the actuator for the hydraulic engine cooling fan. Usually they open circuit which causes the engine fan to stop working which leads to overheats and blown head gaskets. Nobody can seem to figure out how to diagnose this failure so they want to throw pump, fan, and hoses at it to fix the problem for thousands of $$$$ and if it needs head gaskets too then the car goes to scrap. Cooling fan actuators are still available for a couple hundred new, or you can chance a used one if you can find one. Seems they work in WJ Grand Cherokees too so they're not easy to find used. Occasionally an actuator shorts internally and the increased amperage fries the driver in the pcm. The pcm can be rebuilt but it's a pain to get done quickly. Figure the car's down a couple weeks at least.

as a 4.6 owner this image makes me ask nothing more than "why"
>mfw I can do a complete plug and coil change in fifteen minutes

This. Plus cost reduction. BMW had better shocks and more advanced things going on with bushings and geometry. BMW could provide better handling with near burger quality ride. For the LS to approach BMW handling, it would be too sriff, even by BMW standard.

Thing doesn't hold a candle to the real LS