/CCG/ - Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

You're not using enough RTV, edition

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, shopping carts not so much.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality, Canadian or American.

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox

>Rust is a bitch, and not for the faint of heart; tread lightly and carry a rum and coke

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

Other urls found in this thread:

martiauto.com/martireports.cfm
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1972-pontiac-formula-firebird/6273661963.html
neworleans.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-ford-maverick/6262853713.html
mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-buick-skylark/6264815559.html
mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971-chevy-nova/6261798758.html
mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-el-camino/6265731320.html
dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/1964-chrysler-crown-imperial/6245033358.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you have a 1967-2012 ford and want to know what you're vehicle was from factory here is a resource I found : martiauto.com/martireports.cfm
I'll be getting this for my truck when I have some cash saved up. These people are licensed by Ford so all info provided is official.

I was bored, so I totalled the options for my Lincoln.

Base price: $13,067
Leather trim/full vinyl roof: $1,809
Power Glass Moonroof: $1,088
Right-Hand Remote Control Mirror: $39
Power Lumbar Seat (Driver's Side Only): $113
Tilt Steering Wheel: $81
Cruise Control: $140
Power Lock Group: $121
Power Vent Windows: $95
AM/FM Stereo Search with Quad-8 Tape Player: $407
40-Channel Citizen's Band Radio with Multi-Band Power Antenna: $321
Interval-Select Wipers: $40
Headlamp Convenience Group: $140
Illuminated Entry System: $65
Dual Wide Band White Sidewall Tires: $54
Conventional Spare Tire: $40

Total cost new: $17,620.00; or adjusted for inflation: $63,149.77

Good news is i got the camaro back together and it no longer leaks oil! (Still burns some but im picking my battles).

....but now the new water pump is puking water out of the left gasket... i threw in the towel and took it to a shop for them to deal with it (and to check my work while they have everything pulled off again).

I told my coworker to check the oil while i filled it up... he proceeded to rip the stick tube from the block... stuck it back in with a healthy glob of permatex and hope it doesnt cause any problems.

Part of me never wants to deal with this PoS again... the other part wants to keep it out of pure stubborness and spite.

>1989 Pontiac Formula 350
>Investigate spare tire kit that has not been opened in years.
>Includes a jack, ratchet, and CO2 tire inflator, all of which are laid in randomly.
>Take it all out to look at it.
>Can't figure out how it all goes back in and I'm missing the bolts referenced in the owner's manual.

>Part of me never wants to deal with this PoS again... the other part wants to keep it out of pure stubborness and spite.

Welcome to the world of classic car ownership.

Right? In 6 months im on my 3rd! The best one was a crusty 4 door dart. Fixed the master cylinder and never had a problem with it. Shouldve just kept that one.

Softly screaming.

I opened my trunk after a week of opening my car. Got a spare front tire (no rim), 6 floor mats (none match) and a starting pistol... not sure why that was there.

Other thing that made me fed up.
>new water pump was too thick for the power steering pump bracket, spent an hour filing it down while in the engine bay.
>went to adjust idle bracket on carb, immediately lost the little pin. Tried using a staple and a paper clip (they didnt work), found a piece of metal that would fix it then immediately dropped it and lost it. Finally got a rubber gromet on it that seems to be doing the trick. Got my lope back.
>still burning oil, decided to take it as a part of life and hope its not a crazy amount.
>every time i dropped a tool, had to climb under the lift. Always just out of reach.

A starting pistol? Hahaha. Did the fellow you buy it from seem like a racer or something? I know years ago that mailmen used to carry cap pistols to scare off dogs.

Just found this Chevelle. Can anyone identify the year for me?

Got it about 20 minutes ago.

Very old

Hot damn that view. What part of the country/what country is this?
It reminds me of Driver's car, which was a 1973.

Colonnade years, '73 to some late 70's year, I think '77 or '78.

Its in Nevada.

1973 seems right. I got the VIN and it has a 3 in it which matches the year.

Hey, where are you stationed? Im about to fly out to my first cutter tonight. also might be buying a 72 firebird today. What year is your Camaro?

Im at ATC Mobile Alabama. Its a 1975 body with god knows what drive train.

What cutter and where?
What rate do you wanna go/did go?
Post pics and all if you get the firebird..im gonna take a guess, you just got out of basic/a-school, and youre spending your signing bonus on a toy?

You probably fudged some of the RTV during the process of shoving that bastard timing cover between the block and oil pan. The old school water pump design is kind of fucky, sandwiching the cover between the block and water pump. That shit really annoys me.

Okay, new question. Did Ford make Ranger XLT Explorers? Or was it Custom, Ranger, Ranger Explorer, and Ranger XLT. I've looked everywhere but still haven't found an answer.

Well its not leaking oil (that i know of) just water.

CGC Decisive, Pascagoula Mississippi

No firm decision yet, mostly looking at AMT and SK

Graduated basic on Friday with Tango-194, and yeah pretty much

Pic related is prospective firebird

Mind if I ask your rate/rank?
I forgot to in my last post

The car looks nice. But if youre looking at doing that (i was gonna get a 66 el camino, but it sold before i got out), i suggest waiting till you get here. Cars in gulfport/mobile are cheap and plentiful, plus there is a classic car dealer in gulfshores that has some very nice stuff.

SK is really easy from what i see, but AMT is also a good rate. Go AMT if you hate cutter life, never have to see it again.

Ive had a few friends on the decisive, seems like a decent ship.

I was X-Ray 193, who were your CCs?
Im going MST, so ill be at the "non-rate" resort for 2 years it seems.

So im just an idiot. Shop called and charged me $25 to fix my hoses and flush the system. I cant wait to get back behind the wheel until something else breaks.

I had BMC Heinze as my lead, and then
OSC Pullen
CSC Lynch
SK2 Botts

Fucking Heinze..... fucker was the reason i failed probation...

I had every intention of waiting until I got there, but im dumb and this is THE car I've wanted forever

No shit!?

How much do they want for it?

Ya. Guy hated me cause i hurt myself in week 3, then when i got on probation (70 of the 100 original W-193 got reverted), he failed me for the entire day cause i stepped back while checking my watch time. Honestlu though, best thing ever. I went to a much better company and actually learned instead of being beat.

Theyre asking 10.5k, 455 auto, fresh interior sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1972-pontiac-formula-firebird/6273661963.html

Heinze has a thing about green belts, we just got our asses beat until the end of week 6, then it was all cool. We started with like 94, gained 38 and lost 54

What an fuck

Hiroshimoot you are such a bastardo

I like the car and it seems like a good price (if its not fucked, which it just might be). But im telling you, for 10k, you could get some very nice stuff around here... but its not a 1st gen firebird...

Trust me, i know. He always would get on to me even though i spent all of basic on pain meds.
>tore IT bands in both knees
>hyper extended hip
>broke a rib
>ripped my left chest muscles
>wisdom teeth
>cape may crud.
But i refused to get put in RHE!

I went from worst company on the regiment to the most decorated company that earned its colors in week 5.

I know, total boot shit, but oh well.

What?

>What?
Well i was having trouble comprehending your conversation so i posted John Cena but then Veeky Forums image swapped me, luckily this time it wasn't an NSFW image.

Still worked out.

Yeah, I brought the crud how with me, in the form of walking pneumonia, so im working on getting over that right now

is your life really only worth that much?

weight savings just forget about it

I've never heard of the Explorer trim level, so I do not know.

Yeah, I know. The water passage runs through the timing cover, you know that, right? Not only do you have rtv the oil sealing portion, you have to rtv the two coolant jackets on the timing cover as well, both sides. That's why I say the old school design is fucky, there's literally four fucking layers of gasket just for a damn water pump.

Well guys I'm going under the knife tomorrow and anesthesia. If on the odd chance I don't wake up, it's been fun with you guys. Really enjoy having all of you to chat with throughout the day when I'm bored/alone.

Oh. Well that's good.

Jesus dude is the military really worth that? Holy shit that sounds fucking awful. I feel beat up for 26 years old, but I'm not that beat up.

Can I have your Bronco if you die?

Its funny you ask that, because I actually thought about what people would get my cars. A specific friend or my parents would get the Bronco. Parents get the Crown Vic. Brother in law gets the Corvette.

Well, i need the training for an amazing civilian job, so worth it. Plus free medical.

Guess i have something different? My timing chain cover and water pump were completely independent.

Good luck!
Well, i had a pretty bad go at it (fell down stairs, getting fucked on the run, etc). But i was so hopped up on pain killers, it barely effected me. I couldve gone RHE (basically you do nothing, but stay at basic till youre healed up and then continue training) but im from an island in Texas, and the average temp at the time was just above 20... so i wasnt gonna stay. Everyone knows basic training is difficult, but nobody ever mentions the injuries.

Why are you getting surgery, anyways?

Good luck, man. Surgery really isn't anything to worry about. The recovery can be bad if they had to cut any muscles you use often, i.e. abs. One of the most difficult parts really is trying to piss before they let you leave.

It looked similar to my setup, maybe it's different. That still sounds pretty horrible, but I know I basically turn into superman when I'm doped up on opiates, nothing will fucking stop me because no pain.

Thanks guys. Its nothing major, just a septum plasty or some shit. My septum grew where it shouldn't have and is blocking my nasal passages by 90%, so they gotta cut it and remove the excess. I will however, have to have a spinal fusion as well in a couple years. That shit is going to suck.

Damn, good luck Ford friendo. Hope it all goes well.

Haven't posted on a while because my college blocks Veeky Forums for being a "hate" website.
I was reading hot rod and this guy found the same car as mine but a non ws6, in worse condition and 3k more than what I paid.
Feel good man

Putting things back together, lost power to my dash lights and tail lights. Fuse is fine, its the headlight switch. Yay. Im going to end up with almost a new car by the time im done

Fucking headlight switches on old cars man, seems like they always cause all kinds of lighting problems.

Oh hey, hows life?

Don't just replace it, take it apart and clean it all, make sure everything is contacting.
I did that on my 68 Continental, the Dashlights did not work at all.
I took it apart, cleaned all of the contacts and put a dab of solder onto the little arm that touches the rheostat for the dash light dimness and now they work. Or at least they did last time I worked on it

I disconnected it before sending the car to paint, lights worked but dimmer was bad, now putting everything back together all im getting from it are the headlights, no tail,brake,instrument,dome

you ever get tired of your lincoln Drac? I feel like I'm chasing my tail with mine. I recently replaced the dizzy, got it to run but it ran like utter shit. Thought I might have put the rotor in the wrong spot so took it out and moved it a tooth, now it won't fire at all... I get spark from the coil to the distributor, but nothing to the plugs. My mechanic is stumped too. Ignition coil is new and was working before. Returned the new dizzy, got a replacement, same shit. This all because I was trying to solve that stumble/misfire, and thought it might be the ignition module. TPS is new as well. I thought about putting in the old coil and see if that works, maybe the new high-output model is burning out the new distributors...

All this plus the fact random vacuum lines and electronics seem to go out on a weekly basis, I'm getting frustrated... all that's keeping me interested is that luscious ride and those cheap and readily available ferd parts

How is everyone, anyway? Baylor is back in my area, forgot what it was like to be surrounded by college aged grills.... lord give me strength

I took the time to finally beat my license plate bracket back into shape as well (the plate was just hanging down before). I don't know why I didn't do this months ago, it looks a million times better.

oh shit, good luck mang. Don't worry, it'll be fine and you'll be on cloud 9 while that morphine is in your system

>4th post in a row

All the time. I hate, HATE doing electrical and most of the electrical bits stopped working in mine. It's one of those things where I know the car is a money pit, but I don't care. Dang it, I'm going to make a daily driver out of it; even if I could have bought a virtually identical one for less.

>being awake at 3AM
it's a labor of love isn't it... If I sold my linc and my fury, plus the 15k or so I have in the bank, I could take that Celica waiting for me for 3k and use the rest to buy something real special. But I just feel obligated to revive these piles, they're like old dogs that have been in the kennel for over a year. Dammit, I haven't lost much money on cars yet, but I'm probably gonna sink thousands into these things. But it sure beats dumping 3k on the latest iDick 7 and Macshite Prick

It's ok, they're all dumb as fuck and have crushing debt and the general existential dread of their generation.

>why would you work on your own car user
>that's weird, just get the mechanic to do it
>what do you mean that costs money?
>I'll just get my dad to pay for it, he's paying for my psychology degree
>what's a fuse?
>you're supposed to change the oil?! no one told me that!
>your car is too loud user, why can't you just drive a nice Chevy Spark like a normal guy.

you're obviously right but I meant constantly being teased by shorts that would put jane of the jungle to shame. My gf likes my cars at least, and I do have a nice story about some grills in my apartment
>neighbors help me clean up when I ask if their doge took a shit at my door
>it wasn't them but somehow the topic of my old bel air comes up
>"you mean that's your car user?"
>"yeah, guess you've seen it around"
>"are you kidding? That's the only cool car on campus"
feels gud man

Not saying you're the type of man to cheat, but it ain't worth it man. Its never that great when you actually get to it though, from what I hear. Sister and her husband were swingers once upon a time, but lost interest because it all became lack luster and superfluous. It can be distracting though, I know what you mean.

>tfw didn't sleep
neet lyfe

I'm putting AC on my truck soon, extra load on the motor is going to kill drivability unless I make an upgrade. Truck came new with a horribly parasitic direct drive fan with no shroud. Cheapo electric fan is $114, cheap thermal clutch+mechanical fan+universal shroud = $98. Electric fan is likely to draw 25ish amps at full speed, my ancient alternator puts out 40 or so. Clutch fan won't draw amps obvs but it will only save about half as much power as the electric fan, and it's way bulkier than electric. But there's no wiring involved...

I wouldn't cheat, if for nothing else I would just feel horrible about it. But damn, I'm not gonna stop myself from looking. They're putting something in water these day (or maybe the cornbread and sweet tea)

I've been a chronic insomniac since my time in the Army.

Though, as of late, I've been working on a custom turbocharger setup for my DeLorean that works with my carburetor and it's been a real pain in the backside.

somehow it never occurred to me that such a futuristic looking car could be carbureted. Feels like multiport injection in a shoebox Ford, in reverse

I thought mine just didnt have a spare tire kit. Ill have to go look at this.

It wasn't. I converted it via Peugeot 604 intake and Motocraft 2100 carb. It was originally equipped with Bosch K-Jet.

The trim levels were:
Custom
Explorer
Ranger
Ranger XLT
Lariat (starting in 1978)

Well I'm alive, drugs are starting to work. Doctors couldnt get my veins, had to stick me five fucking times.

Won't be working on any cars for at least a week. Maybe I'll take this time to order my setup kit for re-gearing my front Dana44.

>Doctors couldnt get my veins
This is why I always use the same vein when I shoot up. Figure no matter how bad this one gets, the rest are all good

>not sure if serious

I'm no stranger to opiates because of my back pain, but that's a bit far for me.

Really miss my old cludged together junkyard Ford. Remember riding around in it as a toddler. First truck I started learning how to work on. It was just too far gone though.

what would a rough est be for getting a 390 bb motor running that hasnt been started in about 30 years but isnt stuck?

carb rebuild, fuel system cleanup, new fuel pump.

Change the oil and antifreeze. (Change the oil again after it's run for a bit, like 500 miles or less)

Inspect the wiring for rodent adventures.

That's about it.

This. Don't even try it without replacing the fuel pump. It has gotten me multiple times. Also, it will be a good idea to drain and inspect the fuel tank, make sure it isn't rusted through. Also ensure the heater core and radiator haven't rusted through.

Didn't end up buying the firebird, had too much to fix for the price the guy wanted, disappointed, but whatever.

Now looking at

72 Maverick

neworleans.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-ford-maverick/6262853713.html

69 skylark

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-buick-skylark/6264815559.html

Crusty ass 71 Nova

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971-chevy-nova/6261798758.html

1970 El Camino

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-el-camino/6265731320.html

Any input would be appreciated, or if you guys stumble upon anything in the Gulfport area let me know, thanks.

That maverick is giving me a boner dude

Seconded, only light surface rust. The biggest downside is the 5.slow but w/e

Also that Skylark is noice

I know a lot of /ccg/ is based in TX so someone snap this up if I don't:

dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/1964-chrysler-crown-imperial/6245033358.html

Finally got it running just in time to go to the cruise

Mavericks are almost my favorite car buy they are an absolute nightmare to find parts for. Best of luck if you go for it

>he's never owned a C body mopar
you don't know parts purgatory until you've owned something junk yard owners have never even heard of

You know you can ghetto a lot of Chrysler shit together, unless you're talking about the K car C bodies.

the car is sound mechanically, the interior/trim is just completely gone and nobody nowhere has replacements

I tend to stay away from Chryslers. They're beautiful cars, but often a fucking nightmare to find parts for.

As a C body car owner, can confirm.
Pic is my car and brothers car

That's a beautiful car; but, you shouldn't pay more than $6k for it.

Good to here your alive.

Whats your guys experience with spark plug life spans. Going to pull my new plugs i put in a week ago and look at them tomorrow to see whats going on, make sure everything will continue to run smoothly.

I've done spark plugs at work with 120 000Km on them, seem that 80K to 100K is normal

Got a pic of the old plugs, going to get post the picture of the new ones tomarrow. This look like normal where tear for a 53 year car. Pretty sure they where replaced, not sure when tho. Must have been a while. I'am worried because I cant afford a rebuild right now.

If you're in the path of the hurricane, make sure to put your cars away fellas. Wouldn't want any broken glass

boy that interior is really coming together

thanks, shes pretty much at a point where i am fairly happy for DD status on the inside.She really just needs some paint, the brown/white is fucking with everything.

Looks on the normal to slightly lean side, possibly. I'm not super good at reading plugs, but it doesn't look like cause for alarm. Maybe a carb adjustment if possible.

I'll keep that in mind when i pull out a plugs tomorrow, Haven't had a signal stalling issue since the new plugs, hell I haven't even needed to use the choke when starting, just 2 pumps of gas, and slight pushing on the gas and she kicks into life no issue, its been pretty much night and day difference. Also the heat never goes past half temp after the thermostat/thermostat housing change, which is another big win.

Another thing ever since putting the lucus transmission fix, my amount of transmission fluid loss is nearly gone. Still loses some buts nothing compared to before. I was and still am fairly worried about the long term on that stuff though. Hopefully it all works out fine.

Comparison pic from the last one of the interior. Don't have pics of the other recent stuff I did at the moment.

65 beetle here, been my daily driver for about 4 years now . Completely restored a $400 shell that needed pretty much everything . Just converted her to 12v

Sounds like It's running like a top. I'd get another person's opinion on the plug, but I think it's safe to ride for now. The cars I repair on a daily basis, if the plugs look a little white, thats just how it is unless you can actually find something broken, not much adjustment on anything. Imterior looks good, btw.

Noice, any inside pics?

always wondered, how peppy is something like that on the road? Maybe pleb of me but I've always been thrown off by the fact the displacement is measured in CCs. Great restoration btw