/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

soundsense edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12544
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't make threads early next time.

>new thread at 739

I've never encountered this with oceans personally, but I have noticed that sometimes when crossing evil rivers it won't be listed as water stuck to my adventurer's body, but some type of disgusting sludge.

>He is one hundred twenty-two years old.

Oh

Nothing strange about that. Dorfs can get 150 years old.

Having problems with hobos and kobolds or hunters squatting in your Meeting Hall?

Well with our new Anti Squatting tiles you wil no longer suffer the sight of these pesky creatures lazing about. its made of the marble to give it that nice look but if you look closer on it you will see its covered in thousand small shark teeth s dipped in itching powder.
its so effective that even dogs wont be able to get a good nights sleep.
it requires a special cement to mixture to be properly attached to the floor that only we sell . but that's a matter for when your bought your first hundreds of these awesome tiles.

its even proven somewhat effective against children and elders too
Buy today and be part of our Haunted Beach competition tour.

>Require special shoes for walking on, we got em

>tfw the disappointment hits after you remember there are cities which actually install shit like this
>because fuck the homeless, if they don't like it they should just get a job, duh

Also I think I just figured out my spouse converter critters aren't working because I left out the [MALE] and [FEMALE] tags from the converters but left them in the spouses, so... fuck.

>DF will never have a challenge mode for people that are tired of a few 3x5 farms feeding 200 dwarves forever

First floor of my current fort.

r8.

But there is. It's called "nofarm mode". If that's not enough, you can add additional handicaps, i.e. noeggs, gathering, nofish, etc.

But what if i don't want to adhere to a bunch of self imposed rules and just want to play a game

Also for your fort

1. MASSIVE OFFICES, too massive.
2. Great tileset what is it?
3. Really love the windows over the open area. Looks great.
4. Very nice meeting hall.

Rate my library layout. I'm going to try and gather basically every book/scroll in my world.

Also, does anyone know if you can limit what books get stored where depending on what subject it's on? Like organising by the nine topics, with different wings for subtopics, etc.

Then DF is the wrong game. It just isn't very performance based at the moment. Some mods make it a lot harder, but that's it.

>offices
Yeah, the offices for the mayor, baroness and liaision ended up a bit big. I don't think the royal palace is too big, though.

>tileset
My own. You can download it here:
>dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12544
I've made a lot of changes to it since I uploaded it there, though.

>windowed open area
Yeah, that's the central shaft leading downward. It connect all fortress parts. I plan to let the shaft reach the first cavern. Of course, windows will separate the caverns from my dorfs.

>meeting hall
It's the upper floor of my tavern, actually. This is the public tavern, but it's getting a bit cramped, so I intend to make another, citizen only tavern.

>He's too dumb to set challenges himself

How is choosing to play challenge mode not "a bunch of self imposed rules"?

Sadly, all your books will end up in the crosses in pic related.

After a dorf writes or reads a book, they will always put it back in the closest bookshelf.

Is there a way to melt items held by dwarves? My militia insists on using the copper breastplates I buy for smelting from the caravans instead of the fancy steel ones I have, and since they ignore material designations in the equipment screen I basically have to melt them down to make sure they don't equip them.

However, once the dwarfs equip the item it can't be melted, even if I designate it the smelter will complain about not having any melt-designated objects.

Does anyone know a workaround for this, or do I just have to empty all my squads, melt all the items, and then refill my squads?

You could manually assign each specific piece of armour to each dwarf. If you can't be bothered to do that, then yeah I guess strip em and melt the copper shit.

You know, I never thought to try this--despite having the version of launch where instead of being able to fling people you wrestle, you can fling AND ride them through the air like Zangief--but if you do this and switch to the person you were riding, you just run around with your other unit on your shoulders just fine.

Can't jump with them up there, nor can you ride a minecart, sadly, but hey, still neat, considering I kinda expect to lose hold of them and just move out from underneath to leave them standing there.

not saying you are not right, but handling a hobo problem is difficult as fuck, from a political perspective

Yeah, but designing architecture and such specifically to eliminate any little bit of comfort, and indeed to appear hostile just by being there is such a shitty way to go about it.

How much money does it cost to put up benches you can only lean-sit on, knobs on decorative walls to screw over skaters, spiked sections of pavement as though it was a pigeon problem being dealt with, and the ultimate goal is to passive-aggressively say "we're willing to spend time and effort, but we're fresh out of helpfulness, sorry, we'd say come back next week, but then you might actually come back... soooo... yeah." Is such a bitchy move.

Don't want bums cluttering up your pretty downtown? Put somewhere nearby where they could be just the slightest bit more comfortable than they would sleeping on pavement, they get a bit better night's sleep, avoid getting directly dehumanized, and hey you can even count it as helping others!

...nah, this hostile architecture thing seems like the way to go, sooner or later all the bums will wind up dying right?

Got stranded after we missed the last bus back from downtown once with the missus so while we were waiting for the first morning bus she took a nap and I acted as a chair/pillow, homeless dude offered us a blanket, I gave him our bug spray, he sprayed some on and went to hand it back... I'm like fuck naw man, we got enough cash for bus fare and a bottle of Off, you're keeping the damn bug spray.

Super derail though, but I guess it's easier to sympathize when you've been homeless yourself.

some of my militia dwarves are moving super slow, are they tired or is their equipment too strong for them or something else

You've been homeless before? In America?

b-but meph told me that being a "modern nomad" is the coolest thing there is, and that you can totally live a comfortable life without any money (even though he just happens to have a lot of money and contacts).

Personally I've always had romantic thoughts toward a nomad lifestyle, but I wouldn't take any rando internet faggotron's word for it, let alone meph's.

Why do you constantly drag meph's name into discussions just to shit on him. No one cares about that faggot to the extent you do, stop bringing him up where no ones talking about him.

A few times, longest stretch which wasn't deliberate was when I got stranded on martha's vineyard, wound up sleeping under a church porch until one of the job applications I was putting out had a bro that figured out I was stuck there and hooked me up with some hours at his ice cream parlor so I was able to get back home in a couple of weeks after that, got through the first several weeks off of weird luck and general handiwork where people would be amazed when someone just walks over and flips their bike upside down, hooks the chain back in, reseats the wheel in the rim, and they're like "oh I thought we'd have to get a new one, here's a $20" because MV is rich as fuck.

Had other periods in other parts of the country, Texas in the summer was fucking awful, that week felt way the fuck longer than bumming around MV for a month and a half. Longest stretch would be crashing in a tent out in a wooded area south of Louisville for like a year and a half? Found a decent job but it was like 12 miles down the road and I had no car, so biking back and forth all the time got old real fucking fast. Just made use of a couple of friends/my mom's shower to stay presentable for work, finally had to go back to crashing on couches when somebody went wandering way out through all the brambles and shit and slashed the tent up. I mean, I put it back behind that shit for a reason you know?

Yeah, the closest I ever got was the whole tent thing, and most of my traveling was in a sleeper cab of a big black freightliner cross country a few times.

America is beautiful, for the most part, but fuck the roads in Arkansas and Indiana, fuck everything about Illinois and Ohio, and does anyone know why Chicago and Maryland stink?

How's that tileset of yours coming along?

You're dearly missed on the forums.

(meph was relevant to the discussion, since a) he's related to the DF community, and b) he is a rich hipster who has fetishised an "ascetic" lifestyle)

What sort of stockpile should I put near my butchers shop?
Refuse seems to be the right one, but it looks like dwarves would dump bits of sentient creatures in there too, clogging it up.

Do you still get dwarf caravans when you're the mountainhome?

A year and a half of living in a tent in the woods?? How did you end up in that situation? what kind of job do you have now?

Yeah, you just can't negotiate trade deals.

>Titan comes to the fort
>Beware it's webs!
>Send out my ragtag military, equipped with mostly bronze
>Feeling somewhat confident as they managed to take down a forgotten beast in the caverns with no deaths
>One dwarf did get his leg fucked up but he was alright after having a brief spell in the hospital and getting a fungiwood crutch.
>They all get webbed and die in seconds
>Panic and wall off my main stairwell from the rest of the fort
>I have plenty of food but I have no idea how to get rid of the damn titan on the surface
>Spend a couple of seasons constructing a little pit with spike traps I hope to lure the titan to with a useless pump operator
>An ettin comes to the fort
>Kills the titan then dies of his wounds
>Problem solved I guess

How the fuck are you supposed to deal with titans and forgotten beasts that can shoot webs?

I usually make a safe tunnel and a staircase into the caverns and station my dwarves one level under the cavern entry level.
The beast won't spot them until it's in hitting range and can't shoot webs downward and then my dwarves can stab it.

Legendary militaries can take them down fairly easily.
I've heard marksdwarves are good too.

Not when they get webbed, you need to station them in such a way they get the first hit in before the beast can shoot webs.

Gobbie popcorn makers don't work anymore. I have a turkey in one to test and filled it with silver nuggets, rocks and clothes and only the rocks did any damage (slight bruising) and everything else had "no force". I'm going to send a dwarf in there soon and test to see if they get skill-ups, seeing as an unarmored bird isn't getting hurt at all by it.

I might try with coins and bars next.

try it with live werebeasts and spiked steel balls next

>Queen arrives to my fort making it the mountainhome
>She has two daughters
>One of them had died a couple of years earlier at the hands of a goblin
>that same goblin was struck down by my militia commander a few years later
>just months before the queen arrived
>mfw

The emergent stories are kinda cool

Militia Commander had threesome with Queen and Princess quaranteed.

>One of them had died a couple of years earlier at the hands of a goblin
How? In warfare?

Or did she get kidnapped and then murdered after assimilating into the goblin culture?

Just curious.

I just looked it up, and apparently this is what transpired.

1. Queen has a daughter
2. Daughter leaves the mountainhome to come settle in my fort
3. Goblins come and siege my fort, one of them kills the Queen's firstborn
4. My military kill of the siegers
5. I become the new mountainhome a couple of years later

So if she hadn't died, they would have reunited when you became the mountainhome.

That's a downer.

I think I just found what I'm going to use as a royal artifact as well.

>undead slowly shambling towards fort
>configured my drawbridge wrong by accident
>decide to build a wall
>for some reason all the dwarves refuse to build

As with all constructions, the material used dictates which labor is required to perform the construction.

did you activate your burrows? if you did, you can't build outside it.

>As with all constructions, the material used dictates which labor is required to perform the construction.
this hasn't been the case for years.

only the "construction" skill is used, and all dwarves have it activated by default.

>mine tiddy vein
>as soon as my miners dig out the first layer this happens
do you guys think my 10 axelords squad can handle it?

I once had a goblin named Zolak in the legends stories that killed three monarchs with a crossbow during three different wars.

He retired and became a carpenter before being made back into a marksman to go into the wars that would lead him to kill all those royals.

His son became a scholar who went to join a human town to find a mentor. When he was rejected for an apprenticeship by one of the scholars he went into a raged fit and killed nine people.

Well, my chief medical dwarf got bitten by a werechameleon so I carved out a little nook in the hospital and walled her in to quarantine her. Sure enough, she was infected and transformed on the next full moon. I left her in there for a few months and went about my business as usual, planning to use her as a cavern explorer later on. Unfortunately she has now given birth and with just 2 days remaining until the next full moon I don't see any way to tear the wall down, retrieve the baby, and wall the mother back up before she transforms. RIP baby Tekkud, your time on this earth will be short and tragic. Hopefully your mother will dispatch you quickly and painlessly....

Gabaga...

HOLY SHIT!!!!

My former chief medical dwarf transformed while holding her child, never attacked the baby, and changed back into a dwarf! Baby Tekkud lives!

Depends on the demons, but my 40 legendary soldiers couldn't manage

She probably didn't see him.

Are they still disconnected? If yes, open up and make sure the babby gets away from her. If needed, you can use militia squads or burrows to get her back inside before the next full moon.

I mean, they're on the same square, I don't see how she could've missed the child. Anyways I tried taking down the wall and making a separate burrow outside the quarantine cell just for the baby but it wouldn't leave her mother. I guess she's just gonna have to stay in there for now...

As of version 0.40, all creatures have vision arcs. I'm not sure whether standing on the same tile counts being within someone's arc.

Did you try drafting her into a one-woman squad and stationing her? That way you can see if she brings the babby with her. If she doesn't, you can station and wall her in somwhere else.

That's the only chance to save the babby.

>Goblin siege arrived
>Send my 30 military dorfs off to fight them
>Kill about 100 goblins and trolls before we get overwhelmed
>They end up killing every single one
Welp, time wait out the siege I guess. Also RIP militia commander.

Nope, she brought the babby with her. I'm gonna try to lock her in my trap corridor on top of a bunch of cage traps and see if I can catch the baby in one of the traps on the off chance that it gets knocked unconscious instead of just getting killed immediately.

>3 years in
>no goblins seen

what do, only seen 2 kobold thiefs and cavern monsters and a forgotten beast

what's your population?
you might've embarked too far from goblins also

Acquire currency
It's really fucking hard to embark too far from gobbos so I guess you just have to step up your wealth game.

149 and 54 of those are children
2.3mil created wealth.

Although I haven't managed to find iron, only producing bronze and silver things

Good idea.

If you have a strong militia, you can also try to station her among them, so that they can jump her before she manages to harm the babby.

If the babby becomes infected, you can just keep it as a pet or something. At least you will have avoided the tragedy.

you're probably just too far from goblins then, or their civ is dead. I'd recommend checking that out in legends mode/viewer before embarking

Masterwork has Decaying Food option..
Just sayin.

Yeah.. I've been kinda slow on getting my military together this game. I have no military dwarves at all yet and the only weapons grade metals I've found have been copper and silver. I have a trap corridor and impenetrable above ground wall system with a completely sealable access ramp though so I can always just turtle for now if the goblins or necromancers decide to come.

Masterwork also has crash game function, heard it really adds up the difficulty.

ok, I will check out the legends viewer next time or when i retire this fortress

i think of plump helmets like the dwarf potato

plantable all year and extremely high yields

Hmmm, I had my spouse converters working properly once, but when I redid the creature variations I used it broke them somehow.

The goal was to have them get cursed, via the sphere/power tag combo gain knowledge of the various secrets I've got in place, and occasionally ambush and imprison folks to turn them into playthings.

They get cursed, head outside the town/fortress/whatever, and then they either make loops of taking over the site they left > fleeing > repeat, or they fart around for a while and get kicked to death by a camel or whatnot, or they properly abduct people, imprison them...

...and then just leave them in there, sometimes for hundreds of years until the poor fuckers die because their captor got kicked in the brain by a camel.

[NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER] +
[LARGE_PREDATOR] +
[SPOUSE_CONVERTER] +
[CONVERTED_SPOUSE] +
Valid conversion targets +
[LAIR:BLAH:ETC] +
Fully hetero to try and make sure they weren't abducting dudes as a dude +
[BIOME:WHATEVER] +
...something that I must be missing?

That one was just a matter of there being a nice thorny overgrown patch of woods like half a mile from where I was working, and enjoying being outdoors, and looking to get back in school but not sure exactly what direction I wanna take that in just yet.

>Masterwork has Decaying Food option..
*dfhack

You might as well say that MW has a "show fort in isometric view" just because it comes bundled with Stonesense.

It also has a quicksave option, ya sarcastic faggot.

Never knew that.

>It also has a quicksave option, ya sarcastic faggot.
Once again: that's a dfhack thing, not a Masterwork thing.

These misunderstandings are one of the biggest reasons that I hate MW.

Well the werechameleon doctor had another transformation without harming her baby, who clung to her the entire time even as the werebeast moved around. Perhaps infants who are clinging to their werebeast mothers don't get attacked during a transformation. I'm sure that once the infant becomes a child and moves about on her own that the mother would rip her to shreds during a transformation.

probably. in the event the baby turns to a child at the same time as a werebeast transition, your cage trap idea might just save the day

>15 year old fort
>have clear cut the entire caverns because saplings have no growth cap and everything is full of trees
I wish I still had the dfhack function to turn trees to ash.

I think I'll wait until after the next transformation and place cage traps on every floor tile in her sealed quarantine room. In other news, some faggy hippie showed up complaining about how I'm cutting down too many trees and about 40 elf zombies showed up and are milling about on the far corner of the map. Turtle mode has been activated.

>bitch about dead trees
>proceed to go to your tavern and drink booze made from dead plants

>built decent gaming rig a couple years ago
>i5-4690k plays all other games perfectly fine at stock speeds
>every time I play DF I get the urge to overclock my CPU for those small-but-delicious FPS gains

Does anyone else know this feel?

I do and I overclocked mine and gained no fps.

This scene would be great sketched out. Where are all our drawfags?

>99.99% of my artefacts are some useless junk items like toys, mechanisms or musical instruments

FUUUUUUUUCK you.

>mechanisms or musical instruments
>useless

This is why you train all of your useless dwarfs with no moodable skills to at least novice weaponsmith you dunce. Otherwise your woodcutters, potash makers, fisherdwarves, etc usually just default to making some useless craft item.

Kek, some Dwarven infant clinging to the back of a rabid werechameleon as it climbs the walls and catches giant mosquitoes with its tongue would make a great sketch.

No it doesn't. There's been a generic labor for constructions for like two and a half years.

I like that 2bh. I tend to make a big, trap-guarded artifact vault underneath my library.
first artifact in this fort was a gold figurine depicting the founding of the fort, pretty neat

Time for a 1x1 Tower of Babel

>mechanism or instruments
>useful

Come on nigger.

I dont cheat so i dont know which has no moodable skills.

I would much more prefer some axe, hammer or breastplate..

>hasn't gotten into dwarven machinery
>doesn't know about v-p-l
it's okay to be new and inexperienced, but it doesn't go well with arrogance.

am i noob if i use dwarf therapist

>>hasn't gotten into dwarven machinery

What the fuck are you smoking nigga ?
How the fuck artifact mechanism is useful when you can have shitload of them from the most basic stone ?

>>doesn't know about v-p-l
What does it even has to do with the topic at hand ?

only if it prevented you from learning about v-p-l, and made you unable to play the vanilla game.

as long as you still know how to play vanilla, it's okay to use quality of life utilities

t. non-therapist user

>How the fuck artifact mechanism is useful when you can have shitload of them from the most basic stone ?
For extra important machinery parts, it's cooler to use an artifact.

Also, artifacts are magma safe, regardless of the materials used.

>What does it (v-p-l) even has to do with the topic at hand?
It lets you see their skills, and thereby also which moodable skills they have.

>For extra important machinery parts, it's cooler to use an artifact.

Yeah im sure that it makes a shitload of difference when one of the 200 mechanisms i have in my traps is artifact..

>Also, artifacts are magma safe, regardless of the materials used.
Cool, if only magma safe stone wasn't so trivial to find..

>It lets you see their skills, and thereby also which moodable skills they have.
Say what ?
It lets you assign labours - what the fuck it has to do with moodable skills ?

It's not cheating to press v and look at what skills your dwarves have.

If the artifact isn't a weapon or furniture, the answer is no doubt always "It's mostly useless, but it can be cool or expensive to sell."

You're getting a free legendary thing for practically nothing, it's just that nobody said it'd be any good.

Can't sell artifacts bruh