How often can Veeky Forums be wrong about Tesla?

hs.fi/autot/art-2000005339003.html

>400,000 km (250,000 miles) driven with one battery (still good)
>Range reduced from 400 km (250 miles) to 370 km (231 miles) => 7,5%
>Battery had a malfunction but got repaired
>Motor had been replaced once
>Power steering has broken once

This is from a 2014 Tesla.

Other urls found in this thread:

electrek.co/2017/03/31/tesla-model-s-fire-manchester-crash/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

400k km's over 4 years is nothing... The fact that it needed all that shit replaced says a lot. A modern new cheap ICE shitbox would make it to that easily with just oil changes. I bet that guy also drives like a grandma most the time and doesn't supercharge it. Floor it at every light and supercharge it and it'll go to shit pretty quickly.

>presented with facts
>gets the olympic gold in mental gymnastics

For a Tesla, do you consider getting the motor replaced analogous to getting your engine replaced? If so, 250k isn't very impressive.

Imagine if your gas tank got smaller the more you drove it

>250,000 in four years is nothing
KEK

it's sort of more like an expensive subframe swap

Did this fucking retard just say 250k miles in 4 years, (~63k/year) is nothing?

Jesus fucking christ you are stupid. I drive 100 miles round trip to work every day and I barely get half that.

He's right that the battery will go to shit a lot faster if you drive hard and use "supercharging"
This is basic lithium battery 101, it's a fact of the type of battery and no amount of muskhype can fix it.

ICE cucks simply can't compete

>CARS BREAK DOWN MORE WHEN MISTREATED

Ideally, fast charging shouldn't be "mistreating" your car

but in this case, unfortunately, it is

Doing it every once in a while is fine. When you start talking about repeatedly draining the battery as fast as possible for the purpose of repeatedly charging it as fast as possible you are then intentionally trying to damage the battery.

Welcome to life as a fleet vehicle... Which even a rental car tier car like a Kia can achieve.

Four years isn't a lot of time for issues to pop up. Let's see how many issues it has and the state of the battery at 10 years old with 250k miles. We'll see how "maintenence free" electric cars really are.

I'd be doing a fuckload more miles than that if I had an electric car with decent range. Driving from work to the mountains and back is over 155 miles and I could do that every day.

NO. I'm paying 6 figures for "the fastest car on the planet" and the ability to get xxx miles in 20 minutes or whatever. Using the advertised capabilities isn't intentional damage in the normal world.

>IM PAYING MONEY WHY CAN MY THINGS BREAK

Battery degradation isn't the main complaint with Teslas.

The core complaints are

>price. they literally do not compete with comparable cars. the model 3 reasonable equipped is twice the price of a reasonably equipped Accord
>range. I lived in the south and the fiancee's family has a lakehouse 1 hr and 45 min away. there's no charging stations between here and there and they don't have a garage. it's inconvenient/impossible for me to make this simple trip in a 50k (again, reasonably equipped) vehicle? not acceptable as a primary car. only works as a secondary daily driver to/from nearby work.
>gibsmedat. the entire company relies on gibs. if their prices are this bad with all the gibs, imagine what will happen when the gibs dries up. it happened in Norway and they stopped selling

I think they're a cool company. Just stop pretending that they're practical. They're rich people's play things still.

Also their core demo (young people) doesn't have a garage/driveway to charge in. Big problem.

250k miles over two engines, how long did the first one last?

for some reason this guy from the article reminds me of James May but he looks nothing like him

>Sample size: 1

Nice data.

>nowhere to charge
Buy a Tesla Powerwall©®™ and you can charge it at home

when tesla can make a civic sized competitor with a 300-400 mile range that takes no more than 20 minutes for a full charge and costs no more than 22k than ill start respecting them. otherwise theyre doing nothing but adding the premium to electric cars when 90s gm could make an electric car that looked like a saturn and was about to cement americas highest standard of living until (((they))) threatened to cut their credit flow if they gave the proleteriat the idea that they could one day own an environmentally friendly electric car

or you know, like, fucking plug it into an outlet.

Id rather have my gas tank get smaller than my HP get smaller

>One battery.
>Battery needed repairing
>Motor needed replacing
Yep Veeky Forums's Tesla shills were wrong that it was going to be cheaper to maintain.

>Chink

>Take 9 hours to recharge fully
>Rabid Tesla fanbois are like It is ok when it is Tesla.

Hmmmm

And wait 2 years for it to recharge

Stay btfo, EV cuck.

spicy meme bro-hanson

wonder if she could drift

>-25c winters and +45c summers
Will electrics actually work here when they are shoved down the people's throat?

>implying the batteries capacity to deliver current won't also be diminished

Elon Musk™ doesn't want you to know that fast charging that deep battery cycles kills them as fast as driving a car without oil.

There're people doing 1000km (600mi) per day, each day. You can see cars for sale easily with 750k km.
And Tesla™ can't do even a quarter of that without breaking in half.

>Range reduced from 400 km (250 miles) to 370 km (231 miles) => 7,5%
>Battery had a malfunction but got repaired
>Power steering has broken once

In a 3 year old car, wtf? That is shitty

On an episode of the Grand Tour, a guy with no arms shows off his drifting skills. Turns out he's really good.

Paid Tesla™ shill, trying to sell us that it's perfectly normal for """""""maintenance free""""""" cars to have every component of the drive train replaced because it failed within 400k km.

My truck went 35 fucking years and 203,000 miles on all factory equipment, this shit isn't impressive at all.

"There are people that..."
Technically you're not wrong.
Just as me saying "there are people who use coolant instead of motor oil" is absolutely true.
But the number of people doing this is so low it's become statistically negligible.
So it holds no place in any serious discussion, other than a footnote.

Considering how much simpler/cheaper an electric motor replacement is (though I don't know how much Tesla charges for it), no. More like a head gasket replacement.

Yeah, should only be input/telemetry to unplug with a couple nuts/bolts.

Engines are a little harder to replace these days. Could probably do an electrical motor in the time it takes to remove the plastic shrouding.

The point being that brushless motors have literally one moving part, and if not for a bearing there isn't any mechanical connection. It's not justifiable that they last less than a complex ICE engine.

Ah, I didn't read further into the thread.
You're right. They really should over-engineer those motors. If a hub can last longer than I can, there shouldn't be much of an excuse.

Repairs to Tesla out of warranty are very expensive. In addition, most problems are not repairs so much as they are removal of the old assembly and replacement with a new assembly. This is a high cost (and profitable) approach for the service company.

Damage to the Tesla unibody is also quite expensive. Picture shows one with minor exterior damage resulting in $78,000 of damage via GEICO examination.

Because at the end of the day Elon Musk™ can say whatever he wants, but Tesla™ remains a premium toy for rich people.

>400000 km
>in 3 years

again, the core demographic of these cars are young renters living in silicon valley

they don't have driveways. they don't have garages.

Holy fuck the bootlicking.

>IITS TOTALLY FINE IF ELON MUSK TELLS ME MY CAR DOES A THING AND THEN MY CAR BREAKS WHEN I DO THE THING!!!!
>THIS IS ACCEPTABLE PLEASE FUCK MY ASS ELON

some stupid truckdriver drove into my father in-laws model x. Hood needs to be replaced.
rough estimation: 33K (yuro). is this at all a realistic number?!?
I was shitting my pants when i heard that.

You can buy a NEW sexy Golf GTI with that

Don't trust a repaired Tesla.
electrek.co/2017/03/31/tesla-model-s-fire-manchester-crash/

>car burns down because of a fender bender
Actually shouldn't the gorillian sensors have stopped the accident? Even my 12 year old Mercedes can do that and it's older than Tesla as a company

>they don't have driveways. they don't have garages.
Then they have no place to put a PowerWall. Those units are made to absorb solar power from electric arrays also purchased from Tesla. So that PowerWall is more expensive than necessary if you also don't get the corresponding solar power array to charge the PowerWall's batteries in the meantime. Using batteries to charge batteries feels sort of scammy.

It's why AAA auto insurance is raising insurance premiums for Tesla up to 30% more due to the increased repair fees. They are going up faster than inflation which suggests indirect collusion by the repair companies on raising repair costs. All it takes is an private industry tesla newsletter to post prices and the companies can all twig to that.

Not even a Lexus hood would cost $39,100 USD (33K euro). Sales tax is almost 10% in my USA state, so that hood repair would be approx $43K USD. Tesla really is a rich persons' toy. It's like one of those $15,000 baby strollers that rich people buy. It's pure extravagance.

As for accelerating to 60mph in a few seconds, I don't even have tires that would let me do that without squealing. Continental ExtremeContact DWS aren't good enough and those are pretty great tires already. For Tesla's tests, they must have doctored their tires with anti-slip traction liquid or something. Or maybe they pre-treated the city street they did their test videos on. Heck, if I knew they were regularly using a road, I'd go spray some vegetable oil on that ludicrous road.

The URL in that picture is useful in looking up other Tesla repair costs.

Tesla cars are so heavy, if they were on railroad tracks, I bet you might see a few sparks if they tried to brake hard.

>mfw all the Musk worship
>people seriously think that he designs this shit all on his own without a team of engineers
>people think that he's so much more intelligent than anyone in all the industries he's involved in, and that he's altruistic

I have no idea why men who are too insecure to deal with male pattern baldness seem to be the hot thing these days, but whatever

in a way this

in happy to see nissan,GM,BMW etc build electric cars. I fucking hate this bullshit notion in the world right now, about how everything has to be a fucking tech company.

he is the new steve jobs in almost everyway.

>When EVfags still don't have an answer for those of us who have the NEED to drive 300 to 500 miles within a day, in an SUV or pickup truck loaded with equipment, sometimes several times a week

Any battery would shit itself in no time flat, because supercharging would be necessary, since any time fucking around in the city costs me monis I could be charging to my customers, and 20 minutes is an eternity already

And before anyone pipes in, yes, changing drivers while doing a 4 to 7 minute fuel-up is a thing, if fatigue worries you so much

I used to easily hit 3-400 miles a day round trip and close to 800 on the weekends. You plebs dont drive anywhere

You people are a tiny minority, not even .1%.

Nice sources

>Tesla wants to make an electric big rig with a 300 mile range
I don't even know how that'll work, that charging times alone would be ridiculous and that range is pitiful

>Sample sizes of 1 now enough to prove a point on cars reliability

Couple questions:
1)Where did you get that number from?
2)How do you know how many people require a larger (SUV or pickup style) vehicle with a load capacity of, say, 400 kilograms or higher, for their daily duties?
3)Do the people that work matter?
4)Do the people whose work and life depends on us, those who travel to fix things, in our own vehicles, matter?

>how that'll work
I also thought about that for the longest time. About the only way to improve efficiency is to go the way of the diesel locomotive
The amount of energy required to move a 40-ton wall at 80 km/h is STUPID high. People don't realize just how much fuel those things guzzle just to get by EMPTY

The only way I see it working it it HAS to be with batteries, even with some fantastic batteries that don't need that much cooling, is replacing the engine, transmission, etc. as well as packing the whole "empty" area in the chassis with battery packs...and then make some of them quickly-replaceable, because you can't be dicking around with your truck either, unless you want to lose loadsa money

Of course, a thing that weighed what, 7 to 10 tonnes empty? Is now MUCH heavier, and basically a chemical bomb, too. Better hope it doesn't go off a cliff or twist it's chassis or it'll be a NASTY place to be, and a costly clean-up

I've seen alot more of various Tesla models here in Montana... And anyone who lives in Montana, knows that most of the LARGE cities are hundreds of miles apart... and not all of them have charging stations for Teslas

It's funny, because it's mostly old "I am entitled to everything" people who drive them, Who park like shit, and hog the fast lane going 70-75 mph (Speed limit here is mostly 80mph) and then flip you off when you try to pass them in the slow lane.

They are gimmick cars. The concept is cool, but once they can get better range on less charging time, the cost comes down, And they don't get totaled out after hitting a pebble in the road... they MIGHT be okay for a main daily driver.

Surprise, Teslas are just toys for rich people who want to feel morally superior to their neighbours driving S Classes, 7 Series, and A8s

That's always been the plan but looks like Veeky Forums has been a shill battleground to the point where realistic expectations don't matter anymore

Fully loaded semi's can get over 6 mpg @ 60 mph which isn't too horrific considering how much they weigh. That's highway of course, In the city it's a whole different story.

An electric semi using glorified laptop cells is a pipe dream though. With batteries that aren't completely pathetic it's definitely possible. Allegedly these cells exist in laboratories but are still a bit sketchy. Were still another 5 years away at the minimum.

The industrial mining and heavy diesel-electric industries would be all over good batteries as most their shit is driven by electric motors already. Same with ships.

>The industrial mining and heavy diesel-electric industries would be all over good batteries as most their shit is driven by electric motors already. Same with ships.
>Same with ships.
>ships
You are a retard.

Do you have a source for that pricing? Most of the equipment in these car's (I know the battery for sure) are bolted to the subframe of the car, and it's not an easy task to replace them. Also what conditions was the car driven through? What times of year was it used? Was it all highway miles or a combination of city and highway?
Another big problem is that these Tesla are ludicrously susceptible to major damage with minor accident due to the major of the value of the car (ie the batteries) being bolted to the subframe. The biggest problems I see with this car are: 1. Lack of a reliable/affordable used market, since the batteries themselves can cost almost, if not just as much as the price of the car to have replaced 2. Safety of repaired vehicles, as I've heard reports (sorry for no source, kinda drunk atm) of them catching fire electrical motors and power systems are easy mishandled by a waged employee 3. The lack of production/replacement parts; Musk couldn't even meet his quota, nonetheless his massive overestimate, how do you think that he'll be able to keep up with a demand for spare parts or even just vehicles when the supply of lithium dwindles or hits a crash? I'm not sure why this isn't discusses, lithium-ion batteries are major drawback on these machines.

Sure, the price per mile these things can be driven is quite impressive, but I don't see them as being the future of transportation as they're not built to last. My car is over 20 years old, and even if I'm an idiot only changing the oil every 7,000 miles and my engine blows the fuck up, for less than $1500 I can have a new(ish) crate motor swapped in with only 40k on the clock. And not to mention the recycling process or the construction process of these batteries, they're incredibly bad for the environment, and depending on what state you live in, coal is the primary source of fuel for electric.

Musk can hype his fanboys all he wants, but electric cars have a long way to go.

>same with ships
>with ships

>I have no idea what I'm talking about but hopefully no one will notice!!1!

>floor it at every light and supercharge it and it'll go to shit pretty quickly

Same goes for any car

Holy fuck. Take your fucking meds. Don't you got some anime girls to post or something?

Millions of delivery and fleet vehicles don't have any issues doing it day after day.

>Millions of delivery and fleet vehicles don't have any issues doing it day after day.

They're not built like Tesla cars. These delivery and fleet vehicles were designed with servicing in mind. Tesla cars are mostly aluminum. They have various steel pieces bonded with adhesives and rivets to steel pieces. It's like a blocky jigsaw puzzle. Only some of the pieces are steel so it looks likes a blocky _patchwork_ jigsaw puzzle.

That mix of aluminum and steel behaves oddly in a crash. Everyone here should know that aluminum stretches and doesn't compress back into shape like steel partially does in a chassis jig. Thus those pieces have to be unwelded (cut out) or removed if bonded with adhesives (cut out) and replaced with new pieces. But what? It's a jigsaw puzzle. To get to bad piece 87, you have to remove good piece 83, damaged piece 90, 91, good piece 92, good piece 93. Removing 83 and 91 damages them, so those good pieces become bad in the attempt to repair bad piece 87. This fictional story is here to show you that repair of Tesla cars due to that patchwork aluminum unibody frame is problematic and expensive compared to a normal ICE car that doesn't have a frame that is both light and able to support half a ton of batteries in the middle of the car.

Look up on youtube the video of How It's Made Tesla for a documentary on tesla cars. You'll see how the motors are made, wound, and encapsulated. They aren't repairable in the traditional sense of rewinding motors. They simply have whole assemblies yanked out and replaced as the "repair".

>228 miles a day
>driving like a grandma

You know the article is from Finland, right? While we don't get just that hot summer days, 30°c in the summer is not out of the ordinary and - 30°c in the winter is neither. This guy uses it as a taxi. Nuff said.

>same goes for any car
>actually nah Teslas are different
Make up your mind

>a NEW sexy Golf GTI
>how can I get even more electrical failures than an all electric?

This guy is literally retarded. Thats a rail grinder, not heavy breaking. Fucking autisfic motherfucker.

Right? If a train braked that hard it'll lock up it's wheels and fly off the track

There's no mind to be made up on certain things:
It's clear the tesla repair costs are high.
It's clear the tesla maintenance costs are high if something breaks down.
It's clear tesla prevents home mechanics from working on the cars due to security stickers and security paint over bolts, nuts, and sealed off access.

It's just that some tesla fans are trying to obscure things. Tesla cars were made with elon musk's attitude that cost of production be reduced without ease of maintenance by the consumer being a factor. It's clear that elon musk doesn't want consumers to maintain tesla cars.

>same battery
Needed repair
>did repair consist of any new cells?

engines and transmission wears. your car loses power and efficiency as you drive it.

Wow, congrats, every major functioning portion of the car failed and had to be repaired or replaced. Meanwhile my 20 yo luxobarge just passed 250K with no more than routine wear items, a radiator, fan motor, and some suspension parts.
Thanks for confirming Tesla is garbage.

>top lel
>get fucked

What will all the anti EV muslims of Veeky Forums complain about in 3 years ?

Why is everyone so pleased financing terrorism at the gas station ?

So let's see:
>1 battery replacement
>1 motor replacement
>power steering broke
All of the components needed to drive the car broke once in 400K km. That's pretty goddamn awful if you ask me, especially considering what those replacements cost with Tesla.

>driven at a lower rate than the tesla
>from a car maker that has been making cars for decades or over a century.

So, do we have any input from someone knowledgeable about these points?

Still waiting for an answer

One thing my buddy and I discussed a lot: how long is that battery going to last if, say, buddy supercharges his double-cab pickup in 3-5 minutes (because he's paying people to sit in there doing nothing, mind you), since that's about the time it takes for a normal re-fuel in here, and how much range can he expect down the highway and then back and forth in gravel roads, when he has loaded a welder, a portable cement mixer, a small diesel generator and 30-50 liters of fuel for it, plus 3 guys weighing in at 90 kilos each, shovels and an assortment of other tools

Lots of applications where electric could work, and lots where it needs to improve a whole lot, because it'll shit itself in no time (can't have battery packs overheating, even in our 40°C weather and carrying 600-900 kg of equipment/towing a Bobcat or similar, people need their houses built, that dam needs to get done ASAP, etc)

Forgot about a leak in fuel tank that costs what $50 to fix every 300 miles or so?

>loaded a welder, a portable cement mixer, a small diesel generator

Blue collar folk will not have an option but to drive gas cars for decades to come.

Well then, I guess most folk in Veeky Forums shouldn't worry unless they bend over for some forced love by the EPA/whoever the hell decides it's time to enforce "environmentally friendly" chunks of heavy metals propelling the cars of erryone

>remains a premium toy for rich people.
are you poor? Why are you here? Please leave you poor wagie.

That sounds spendy. Heavy duty/high torque/high HP electric motors don't come cheap. Google search shows Telsa apparently uses a 362 HP 3 phase AC motor, search on Ebay shows prices starting at $5k or better for a used version with similar power....

I'd also be interested to know how many times the battery pack has been quick charged/supercharged/whatever they call it.

I'm poor by amerifat standards since shitty euroslav so no Tesla for me but I'm after Nissan Leaf for DD, will keep truck and gf still has regular car if needed.

I'm gonna rip rear half of interior out, get rid of spare and usual stuff, hopefully it'll be zippy enough around town.

Only shit I'm kinda worried about it battery degradation due to heat since we have 3-4 very hot months during summer.

In the US everyone is rich apparently, since everything you need is to do is borrow money from your local bank and you're done.

Imagine your MPG going down the more you drove it.

You can launch a Demon at every stoplight if you choose. It's still going to fuck up the engine, no matter how well built it is for hard launches.

And it does, do you think your shitbox now gets the same mileage as when it was new?

Mine does, 15 years and 200k km yet I score 25 km/l easily with AC.

Reckless driving and poor maintenance however do not.

>Yeah it's pretty reliable, just had to change out the engine once, no biggie