What is so bad about automatic cars aside from the lower testosterone side effect?

What is so bad about automatic cars aside from the lower testosterone side effect?

No actual control of gear selection, they are heavy, and they suck quite a bit of power that could otherwise go to the wheels.
Historically, they have been less reliable and gotten worse fuel Econ than manuals, and had slow shifts, but they have become about equal (and in some cases surpassed manuals) in the most recent iterations.

Fpbp

/Thread

fuck you Fumika

I have a Corolla Altis 2017 and I think it's pretty good. I've been driving for only one year though and it's by far the best car I've ever driven so that might be why I don't see the downsides of it that much.
inappropriate

There's no disadvantages at all except for the car costing more. Manual is for poor people.

They're getting all the engineering attention while there are no mass market cars with good manual transmissions, even though they already exist for motorsport

>buy manual
>oh here have another fucking clunky synchromesh six speed
>why can't I have dogs?
>it's easier!
>why not sequential?
>it's what people are used to!
Nobody fucking drives stick and expects it to be easy or familiar anymore christ

>buy auto
>JA VOULD YOU LIKE MORE GEARS?
>ja
>JA WOULD YOU LIKE SEQUENTIAL SHIFTING?
>ja
>JA YOU WILL BE VERY FAST AT TRACK COMPARED TO GUY WITH SIX SPEED JA
>ja!

6 speed autos don't exist anymore. They're all at least 7 speed and all automatics are faster than manuals now, even the ones in shit boxes

That's what I was saying.

And we could have quick shifting 8 speed dogboxes right now making manuals faster than autos by merit of their lower weight and lesser drivetrain losses but we fucking don't. At least motorcycles are still good.

>Manual is for poor people
Way to generalize, asshat.

Auto boxes are for the elderly and disabled.

Ask dodge why the viper only came in manual.

/thread

I want to FUCK Fumika

This

Dog boxes are by no means good in traffic. It would drive like a piece of junk and the wear of stop and go traffic will be insane. Needless to mention shifting gets weird as you don't clutch really.
Sequential is also retarded but I guess could work. Personally I don't see the point in having to go through every gear.

This

priusfags detected

Eurocuck Trailblazer fag but whatever you say.

In my favorite car, the SW20, it is a death sentence to buy an automatic version (even though they came with like 130 hp only because no turbo).

Imagine this
>approaching corner, slowing down to go full throttle through corner
>intend to hold current gear all the way through corner and upshift at the end of your power band as you exit the apex of the turn
>fuck you, shit tier 90s auto upshifts before apex, or even worse, downshifts, transferring the weight to the front
>congrats
>you just entered the ***LIFT OFF ZONE***
>autistic ass auto shifts again
>weight transfers again
>snap

ur dead, kiddo

nothing personnel

Any attributes that are superior in manuals only cater to enthusiasts, other than being cheap to replace.

You can't really add power to an automatic without it shitting out pretty quickly. Basically if you buy an auto of anything you're stuck with the amount of power it came with.

from personal experience its the ease and cost of repair. A completely ruined manual transmission can be brought back to life where as a slightly busted auto transmission usually means a new tranny. My 09 lancer (i noe, shitsubishi) had some solenoid get stuck causing it to slam shift from Park to any other range. seemed like a simple repair for warranty but the dealer replaced the whole unit. Later that transmission started the whine of death and it had to be replaced again. Both situations called for a new transmission rather than even attempt a repair. Had it not been in warranty i would of been shelling out 4k for each incident.

Buddy of mine with his 5 speed wrx had his transmission rebuilt after exploding it.

Most consumer automatics don't have longevity and repair-ability in mind.

But motorcycles have sequential dog boxes and they do fine

Auto's are obsolete in cars unless you have a no torque shitbox. CVT gets more fuel economy. Weight isn't a problem if you put enough power behind the gearbox. If this was pre 2008 I would agree but soon gearboxes won't exist anyway.

>tfw got my first car today
who under \6 second club\ here??

False. In GM auto transmissions (aside from pisspoor 4L60E) you can push massive power and the only thing you have to worry about changing is the torque converter. I'v seen a stock 700r4 push 500 wheel hp on a drag strip and not blow up. (and that's a pretty old auto to boot)

>Wet clutches
>Lighter weight meaning less stress
>Stupid long gearing so no need to shift as much
>More experienced users that are willing to put up with low comfort
Dog boxes are loud and not as forgiving. They are also not exactly intuitive so selling a car with one would require teaching your buyers how to drive them. Also in general a double clutch is faster and smoother so why bother putting a tranny that lives on clutchless operation instead of going paddles.

It's really only car enthusiasts that take an almost elitist attitude over transmissions.
Manual transmissions provide a more engaging driving experience, as well as some other small benefits over a standard Automatic.

Automatics are changing though. For supercars and other hi power cars they have moved to DCT and other modern automatic transmission systems. Since having it all under computer control allows power to be put down on the road more effectively then a monkey at the wheel stomping a pedal and jiggling a stick.

you wrecked it in under 6 seconds?

Auto is for gentlemen.
>Sit down, stick it in drive and relax.

More expensive to maintain
Slow shifting and delayed throttle
Boring to drive

not as fun.
Thats it.

Kaoru is more up my league

0 to 100 under 6 secs

Why is Fumika so shit?
She ruined the entire episode.

Ok you CIA nigger first don't track my IP second fuck you and your Kanade slut

no ones buying cars except in china where the middle class is growing, so to factor in that people want jobs but cant afford to buy anything because these job "creators" dont want to pay any money, engineering shit to be thrown away preserves what jobs are still left

Manual for fun

Automatic for performance