/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Elona edition

>Competiton(s)
DCSS 0.20 Tournament starts on May 26th, so get your teams together!
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/upcoming-0-20-release-and-tournament

>FAQ and What to Play:
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Previous thread: Why haven't you made a new thread lately? Do your /rlg/ duty!

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/crawl/crawl/tree/stone_soup-0.20
crawl.develz.org/trunk/
pastebin.com/V7P5MGNR
twitter.com/AnonBabble

release 0.20 you fucking hacks

Well, /rlg/, just under 48 hours until the 0.20 tournament.

Time to get your teams together!

it's great for cloud mages including early game wizards

Remember when Dicks won inferno elona as an actual horse with limited slots

those were the days

/rlg/ Team, Serial Splatters
Add
# TEAMCAPTAIN Thaddeus
to the top of your 0.20 rcfile and respond to this post with your username.

There's a few pretty reliable ways - most of them take plenty of time, though. 120+ gardening plus skill boosts and artifact seeds will net you some pretty nifty stuff, and gardening levels incredibly fast as long as you're willing to feed it the plat.

The most common early-game source of non-fixedart gear is treasure maps - digging up buried treasure on a lucky day will always give you at least miracle gear. Gambling on lucky days will give you miracle stuff. Trading with adventurers. If you've learned pickpocketing through joining the thieves guild or wishing for it (I recommend a wish, honestly, that quest is a PITA) you can cheese adventurers by trading them a stack of cure corruption for their godly gear, then pickpocketing the 0.0 weight potions back. Chests from dungeons, especially on lucky days. Blackmarkets are pretty OK, but you have to have a few million GP to sink into them - they can generate living weapons and the ilk for you, though, so that's nice. I always prioritize getting two magic shops to level 200 over any blackmarket.

The best answer is really to just go for the fixed artifacts, though. Some monsters have an OK (~1/300) chance of dropping a special weapon - drakes, silver-eyed witches, et cetera. Go browse the wiki and see what fits your build.

Stuff like Blood Moon or Rankis are actually pretty great mid-game stuff, and they're incredibly, incredibly easy to get - you can get them by character level 20, easily, probably earlier. Use them as stop-gaps, and aim for one of the primary gear-generation methods - usually either heavy investments into shops or training up an crafting skill and crating a ton of spears/lightsabers/panties on a lucky day. With high (~150 skill) levels you'll get a bundle of {godly} stuff.

Oh, also - pets! Pets are really good for armour - not weapons, unfortunately, but a pet at soul mate and either carpentry or tailoring will give you a piece of ~miracle gear every morning, basically.

>177743543
Even the demi-gods are pretty clearable with some nudging and maneuvering, I think. Yeah, though - I'd only try to do really deep voiding or inner gods with a spellcaster: the grind is just too painful, otherwise.

Does anyone remember what his strategy was, anyway? I seem to remember that it wasn't just playing as a horse - I think he was doing it without pets as a ranged character, too.

No idea, you'd have to ask him or look into the ancient threads.

He used alchemical rain to kill everything around him with potions.

I just figure that even horse-mode inferno would fall under a truly dedicated grind - just gardening for twenty hours would get your skills incredibly high at no risk; slots or no slots, it's a lot harder to die with 3000HP in act one.
Which is why I think he didn't really do any of it.

just please
give me the fucking rune

>gardening
>cooking
>fishing

Shit like this makes me want to play Elona, but at the same time it scares me because I know that once I enter the abyss, I won't be able to leave.

Like that user who mined out a mountain and built his own city.

Dicks is as pure as our love for him

whats the best build for coq ??

This temporal fugue seems p. good

>Centaurs have huge HP

+10% HP isn't exactly huge, but it's not nothing, I agree.

Speed does work mostly in their favor, but there's lots of stuff that are fast and harmful to things without high defenses.

The biggest issue is strong monsters that attack from range (that you might accidentally land next to). Another early run splatted to a stone giant in Orc:1: mediocre AC and bad EV meant I couldn't do anything except try (badly) to run away.

Still, to be fair to Centaurs, they're easy to get to and clear Lair, so that probably solves things for most good players. It's just that I now understand why they're an "intermediate" rather than simple species, per the character creation screen.

check twitter

It's incredibly addictive, really. I try to keep it under binds - every time I open the game folder I consciously ask myself "Do I really want to play this, now?" and weirdly enough I'm always kind of excited to do so. The constant progression is fun, investing in shops and getting skills and all the different ranking points.

I have no idea about this year's balancing changes but Esper, definitely. Sunder Mind and the light beam zap-zap is what I used - slam down every mut point into fresh mutations, since you get free mutation levels from Ego.

CoQ is for roleplaying

espers are OP
do anything with minmaxed ego, esper, and a lot of mental mutations (ideally get at least one of lasereyes or sunder mind for primary offence)
spend all the mut points you gain from leveling on gaining new mutations, since your fuckhueg ego will boost your mental muts to the level cap without having to spend any points on leveling them up

eventually achieve ultimate power

or if you want a build to carry you through earlygame take freezing hands + whatever (note that you only get enough points to level ~2 physical mutations at once, so try some onepointwonder things like 4arms or regen)

just max out freezing hands and use it to bully everything. it does tons of damage and at level 3-4 can freeze things solid for longer than its cooldown

>tfw your MR is such trash you have to use the necklace of bloodlust
Welp, at least it's ยจ+6 slaying now

You're meant to dump Dith for Mak/TSO on extended, silly boy
Dith is just a crutch until you get Statue Form castable

fuck i died in coq to being careless

was level 10 ~_~ almost back to town with the corpse

>he didn't buddy up with argyve and get the rod of recall first

Got mobbed by a pack of those ink slugs or w/e

Strange how slugs are faster than you!

Was getting good XP clearing the tunnel

>ink slugs
what
where

do rust wells first, red rock second
but if you make your character diesel enough it won't matter

presumably acid-spitting slugs

probably means ickslugs
iirc they have a nasty high-damage ranged attack

No, the acid-spitting slugs do. Ickslugs are the ones spawned by snailmothers, they have swarmer.

meant ick slug

think its more that they swarm, ignore av, and poison you
no ranged

HOLY FUCK
DITHMENOS WITH THE CLUTCH SAVE

No need to panic. No. Need. To. Panic.

nigga are you on level 71 without ?destruct or ?telelevel in your inventory

>365 hp

>three-hundred and sixty five (365) hp

it's fine as long as you have detection spells

i'd be concerned about all those useless points in wis+dex that could instead be in useful stats like str/con

It breaths!
You stand your ground!
You have died..

Are there any roguelikes that have a Mount and Blade vibe to them? Like there are competing factions that you can get mixed up in, and they'll fight each other even if you don't. I already know about Dwarf Fortress but it really isn't what I'm looking for.

>caster HP growth

why were we put on this earth, Chris, just to suffer?

355 is enough for base element wyrms with double resist

you wouldn't want to FIGHT them with that maxhp but it's enough to avoid getting oneshot

you just have to be careful when you detect shit like spacetime or balance wyrms

where is .20? fuck this tourney.

t. offline player

this.

fuck this obsessive online dick measuring

You can literally just download trunk since it's exactly the same as 0.20 will be but with an extra race and god.

beta is already out. compile it yourself, you nerds:

github.com/crawl/crawl/tree/stone_soup-0.20

what am i? a brain hacker?

or just download precompiled from here
crawl.develz.org/trunk/

last updated a week ago

all things for the Time Being, praise be

>when you get outplayed by zombies

>that sidebar organization
Yuck.

at least the caster classes come with higher than 100% exp penalties and lower than 100%, liferating to combo with your caster races having higher than 100% exp penalties and lower than 100% life rating (well, except yeek/imp which only have the bad liferating part but.)

Chris is bad at game design

WHEN ARE TILES AND CONSOLE FOR DCSS .20 GOING TO BE OUT

THEY SAID THEY WOULD RELEASE ON 24th

REEEEEEEEEE

Also is it a meme to suggest removals for everything fun in the game? Someone posted that they think Beogh should be removed today because its offensive.

probably ~5 hours

njoy faggot

Absolutely a meme.

>Ring of Shaolin changed to ring of phasing
>Sword of jihad also get renamed
>uniques getting genderswapped for no reason
fucking SJWs get out REEEEEEE

how do I make roguelike, rlg?

Start with a game design document. Detailed information about the systems you'll have in place and how they'll interact. I'd recommend starting with a premise or style that hasn't already been beaten to death.

Once you've completed this, go to /agdg/ where they actually care.

>uniques getting genderswapped for no reason
like who

Just read the description of any you come across. I realized Snorg was now a female a few days ago.

Like half of them newfag. Didn't even bother to change the sprites.

Urug and Grinder off the top of my head

>tfw Grinder isn't a homosexual imp trying to date rape you anymore

I'm glad crawldevs stand on the right side of history. Deal with it bigot.

Hahaha, at last!

seconding this

>genderswapping an ugly-ass orc and a literal demon

what did they mean by this?

>working on an le alt right maymay roguelike
>different races will have different skills (blacks are strong, whites are intelligent, Jews can lie easily)
>going to post it on the crawl forum just to troll them

Will anyone even play it though? It's basically a game about the racewar.

or get something actually useful like force wall and create force cages around dangerous shit so they can't do shit

>Will anyone even play it though? It's basically a game about the racewar.

after you get banned from the crawl forums you could post it to pol and bant

um... urug is a strong womyn who dont need no beogh, you can't just call her ugly like that, sweetie

yeah forcewall is a good mutation
it just wont carry you through the earlygame alone like freezing hands can

genderswap is a best tho

>urug the orc feminist comes into view

vampirism true is so great

you're working on an elder scrolls roguelike?

it's literally just me and you, Thaddeus
ZChris13

>sweetieposting

favorite new thing, tbqh

>tfw you go into pan, but forget that lichform can't use holy weapons so you have no melee attacks in the cancerous pan realms
Oops.

just use bloatform dood

hey rlg

whats a good written guide to C:DDA? Something that goes into an order of operations to do at the beginning of a game?

hey dude I found a really good guide that goes into depth about order of operations and all that, check it out:

pastebin.com/V7P5MGNR

>wanting to play dda with spoilers

I got this >MiBe going. I found a buckler early and no decent two-handed long blades. I don't know if I should keep upgrade to an actual shield or play it safe with two-handers. Thoughts?

Shields are bloat, and they only exist for species that have bad strength and bad Armour/Dodging apts, along with bad weapon apts.

Trog will eventually gift you a good two-handed blade, as long as you don't overly pump XP into Shields.

You look to be pretty squishy right now. 2H might be kind of rough. Have you been through lair yet?

This guy is wrong. Don't listen to him.

Just using it as a spot for casuals who want to participate, so that's kind of expected.

Yeah I'm done with Lair. I got swamp and snake as my lair branches. Currently exploring late D in hopes of a better weapon. Trog gave me another scimitar of flaming with a higher enchantment

Trained long blades up to 16 just in case I need to switch. Minotaur apts are a hell of a drug

Clear D and run through orc if you haven't. Chances are you'll get your answer in orc. The great thing about bucklers is that the exp investment is so miniscule that there isn't a downside if you swap later.

>DrTm
>Gray scales
>Bladehands
>Ring of MP and staff of wizardy
>Mahklel

No one can stop me now!
pls no hydras in lair

>Makhleb
>being afraid of hydras
Don't throw yourself at them, but get a bit of invo up and if you have no choice you can spam Lesser Servant to make meatshields that'll keep hydras in place for a couple turns and possibly kill them if they don't have too many heads

EVOKE

WAND

you can kill hydras with bladehands no problem

Oh, and you can also just spam Sticks to Snakes. If you have enough Transmutations to use blade hands you'll get a fair bit of moccasins there

Don't understimate the few sources of spammable summoning left in the game. You can even kill panlords with Sticks to Snakes through sheer attrition

bat form retard

Evoke my dick dude

>your dick
>zero (0) charges

>Implying there are any wands left to evoke

nice try bloatposter

OK I'm done with Caves of Qud for today! What a frustrating game!

What do you do when ur caught in the open and being shot by something from out of vision? Guess u just die!