FWD vs RWD

Why can't FWD be fun to drive?
my current car (03 VR6 GTI) is undoubtedly more comfortable to drive than any car I have had before and it is quick despite popular opinion. But the steering has a shit feel with even shittier feedback & torque steer. Corners always feel like I'm driving a snowplow.
Shifting always feels chunky, especially controlling speed through the downshift

The RWD cars I have had have never been fast, mostly turbo bricks and pickup trucks, but they have always been 100% more fun in the corners and on dirt roads.

is there such thing as a good FWD?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S7Lshplx2dM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why can't FWD be fun to drive?

Because you can't drift or kick the back end out. Yeah FWD's can be quick and nimble but going around corners without drifting them will get boring quick. inb4 some asian dude "drifting" a Civic or some kids lunch tray drifting. Having the end snap around whenever it wants isn't the same as controlling the rear wheels with power.

RWD is usually more fun desu

but fwd can be fun

left foot braking and cornering at insanely high speeds absolutely amazing

>my current car (03 VR6 GTI) is undoubtedly more comfortable to drive than any car I have had before
so is my mother's prius, but that doesn't make it fun

fwd cars are fun when they're light. there's no point in having a heavy fwd car.
you just need to put some metal trays under the rear wheels, handbrake on, and go to town.
or put it in reverse if you wanna do donuts.

Just another boi racer thread.

Because you've never driven a good FWD car.

>golf mk 1
>civic EK
>fiesta ST
>maybe ford Ka

I could go drive a fucking shitbox like the 4 cyl mustang and claim that RWD aren't fun to drive and i would be doing it wrong.

>Why can't FWD be fun to drive?
Because you don't know how to drive FWD.

>can't kick the back end out
Nonsense.

>can't drift
You mean long skidz? You can do long skidz with lift off oversteer.

rwd fags dont know how to drive and havent matured past the age of 15 and think sliding and doing skids are the epitome of driving enjoyment

I have driven in a km1 golf
the only time I was more afraid in a vehicle was in my friends Lada Niva

>Because you don't know how to drive FWD.
perhaps
>You mean long skidz? You can do long skidz with lift off oversteer.
lift off oversteer and the Scandinavian flick is is like fapping into a sock while kicking the rear end out at speed on a RWD is like drunkenly bringing a bar slut home and not wearing a johnny. Fuck it's fun and that roll of the dice ( my little bastard or the fuck is this rash) only makes it better

Rwd limits exceed the limits a fwd car can do. And once those limits are reached it oversteers, which is a lot more controllable/fun.

>I have driven in a km1 golf
>the only time I was more afraid in a vehicle was in my friends Lada Niva
So you are a fucking faggot that cant even handle a 110hp FWD shitbox? holy fuck you are pathetic.

driven IN one ... never driven one
not fun cars to be a passenger in

The Lada was leaking gas into the cab, was too afraid to light my cigarette
The Mk1 was like it was made from tinfoil, at least that's how it fealt from the passenger seat

Civics are fun.

t. Hondafag

>dude you can't have fun without drifting
Number one sign of a brainlet

i have owned all drivetran types

and currently have an AWD and a RWD vehicle

i have had my current RWD car the shortest amount of time, and its by far the most fun

the reason i say that is because i dont need to be going so fast in endangers my life while driving a RWD car and having fun

rwd=slow with style
awd=speed, grip, style
fwd=practical usable sensable

>be honda fag
>drive shit box with the worst possible drivetrain setup
>g-gu-guise it's f-fun I swear!

>lunch trays
>drifting

>Where are you going? Wait for me, I need to put my lunch trays under my wheels!

Oh look ANOTHER thread on Veeky Forums where people can't drive. As for your question OP, that's isn't a car made to be fun to drive, but so are most modern cars with their electric steering. But if you think pickup trucks are fun to drive with their awful suspension and steering, then you just have shit taste.

rwd is more fun. End of story. Stop trying to justify buying a "sporty" econobox that's main focus is mpg and practicality. If you don't own rwd or at least awd you bought a car that didn't have fun in mind from the minute it was conceptualized by the design team.

you're a fucking idiot, so there's that. Have you ever actually driven on a track before in your life?

awd is made to perform, not for shits n giggles

RWD can't make donuts as fast as FWD.

>slow
Maybe for you

>fwd=practical usable sensible, skids with style, too intelligent for normal RWD fuck boys to comprehend

FWD can be fun with the right setup

RWD will always be king of driftaroo tho

The biggest advantage FWD is being cheap and lightweight. The ideal FWD sporty car would be smol and affordable. Sadly pretty much everything in this category sucks recently.

Pretty much all moder FWD cars have open diffs, macpherson strut suspension, and lots of torque steer.

Shitty, macpherson strut suspension means the inside tire probably isn't happy coming out of a corner while the outside tire is sticking pretty well.
Now you try to apply throttle and the diff sends equal torque to each wheel and the inside wheel starts to loose itself, and because open diff, the outside wheel can't get traction.

The solution is to have good suspension like a classic saab, pre-2000's civics, aw well as accords and FWD A4's. Putting an LSD in there also helps.

Torque steer can be mitigate by balancing the drive halfshafts so they are equally stiff, or just make them the same size to begin with.
Mk1 Focus's FWD A4's, and SAAB 900classics do this right.

TL;DR FWD econoboxes don't suck because they're FWD, they suck because they're designed to be cheap turds.

A FWD car has to be
1. light
2. low center of gravity
3. mostly stabilised by the rear axle
4. LSD
to be fun.

A stiffer sway bar in the rear helps with accellerating out of cornere, especially with a open differential since it pushes the inner front tire down with thet rear inner tire that lifts more.
That is why semi trailing arm rear axles are common in FWD econoboxes, they tend to stabilise the rear more than the front sway bar and are cheap.

>most fun
>slushbox automatic
The only place for slushbox RWD is towing a caravan.

LSD allows more grip and even more drift capability via torque transfer (like in ). But it makes torque steer worse, lower torque steer depends essentially on suspension geometry as you've said (non or slightly negative scrub radius, equal lenght driveshafts, no toe variation across the suspension travel etc). Even american engineers managed to eliminate torque steer in the 60's...

youtube.com/watch?v=S7Lshplx2dM

McPherson struts are not necessarily bad either, some of the best handling fwd cars have them like the megane RS.

If you must RWD, at least do it right.

Aren't you some sour grapes loser that drives a shifty fwd sonic?

nah you still doin it wrong

I was lucky enough to drive a 4 wheel steering Prelude once, that thing felt like it was on rails.

>Prelude
how did you stay awake?