HCCI

Is HCCI the next step towards an engine that can run on both gasoline and diesel?

I think it's a step towards running a gasoline engine like a diesel.

The question is if HCCI can allow an econobox to make decent power while hitting 50mpg.

>diesel

There is no such thing as diesel. What you and every other fuel naive person refer to as diesel should be correctly known as " compression ignition viable heating oils". "Diesel" can be petroleum based as our current paradigm allows...but it doesn't have to be as oxidated vegetable oils can also be run in a Diesel engine. Understand that the Engine is correctly known as a Diesel ans calling all compression ignition viable heating oils "diesel" spits in the faces of the chemical and mechanical engineers who worked tirelessly to give us the most advanced heating oil technology possible.
Thanks!

Nerd

Can modern diesel engines even run on most oils anymore? I wouldn't be surprised if these things were restricted to diesel fuel with some weird tuning just to get slightly better emissions.

Well am I glad this guy turned up to correct us and show us just how ignorant we are.

And to think, I could have spent the rest of my life calling diesel engines diesel engines and looked like a complete fool in front of everyone!

Thank you user.

Next time I hear somebody incorrectly refer to an engine as a 'diesel engine' I will make sure to correct them by informing them it is actually a 'compression ignition variable heating oil engine'.

back to where you came from, it's obvious

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Diesel, is in fact, Petrol/Diesel, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Petrol plus Diesel. There is no such thing as diesel. What you and every other fuel naive person refer to as diesel should be correctly known as " compression ignition viable heating oils". "Diesel" can be petroleum based as our current paradigm allows...but it doesn't have to be as oxidated vegetable oils can also be run in a Diesel engine. Understand that the Engine is correctly known as a Diesel ans calling all compression ignition viable heating oils "diesel" spits in the faces of the chemical and mechanical engineers who worked tirelessly to give us the most advanced heating oil technology possible.
Thanks!

>UHM ACTSHULLY
whatever nerd, diesel fuel as it is known today is a fuel which cannot be ignited with a spark but rather extreme compression

>invents good fuel for a diesel engine
>gets butthurt when it is called diesel fuel

>invents good fuel for a jet engine
>gets butthurt when it is called jet fuel

Diesel sucks though

The guy who invented the engine was named Diesel and he ran it on peanut oil.

My car has 15 years, if I dilute the oil in the diesel can I burn it safely?

this
i hope this stupid nerd closed this thread in shame

I've heard of a guy who ran his car on old oil from deep fryers from local restaurants. They were happy to get rid of it for no cost, he filtered it and ran his car on it.

you can run a diesel pretty well if you mix any vegetable oil with fuel
i think's it's only illegal because it's not emission tested
and vegetable oil is usually more expensive so it doesn't really make sense if you don't get it for free

If I recall correctly vegetable oils have too much glycerin and for the injectors is a problem as they clog with that.

that's why you mix it with diesel fuel my dad did it for a while (when he had a deep fryer) with his pathfinder and he has no injection problem yet
if i remember well you can get away with around 30% of vegetable oil or maybe less

That's the hippy way. I plan on eventually running my truck on a mix of at least wmo, or waste motor oil. Won't smell like french fries, less people use it, very common, and better lubricating properties.

*At least 50% wmo. Just gotta run it through a centrifuge first to clean it

>The guy who invented the engine was named Diesel and he ran it on peanut oil

Yes and in all due respect peanut based compression ignition viable heating oils should be collectively be known as "Carver Fuel" in honor of the man who invented the peanut, Rudolf Diesel didn't invent "diesel fuel" he merely adopted existing heating oils for use in his engine(which also in all fairness could just as easily be known as an "Otto" but I digress)

Plain filtering isn't enough?

Long story short, centrifuges filter to like under one micron, can be used over and over, and won't let big stuff through when they start to get full.

It's all just long term ideas. I'll have to have room to do it and set up some 300gal totes in a shed and stuff

No.

Hcci with petrol engines require a specific temp in order to properly work without misfiring and producing the famous knock.

Before Mazda and Miatacucks start flaming, what they are trying to introduce is a form of HCCI only when the engine is capable of, but not all the time. This could be either 10% oe 40% of the time we don't know yet

Well anything is better than 0% time spent in HCCI mode.

diesel engines are diesel engines, it's the fuel that is not "diesel"

you can't even read lol

Thanks, Stallman.

The principle claim Mazda has made is that the new HCCI engine is 20-30% more efficient than the current generation of Skyactive engines. It doesn't take a genius to deduce that this is probably while the engine is under its easiest load, cruising at high way speeds, moderate RPM, not under acceleration.
Cold starts, stop and go driving, and under heavy acceleration I imagine they'd be using spark.

Nope. Try that and you'll fuck up the injectors

Mazda supposedly has it but engines have to be built to withstand HCCI because it's very violent compared to ignition.