Good beginner car

is that a good beginner car?

No.

I honestly can't think of a worse beginner car.

whats the 928 good for?
even the 931 is better

can you then post the best car for a beginner (in your opinion)?

the white 928 is cute
the brown color looks horrible

ford ranger. super easy to drive, very forgiving clutch
cheap to buy
rwd
just overall easy to drive

My 2nd gen ranger was by no means easy to drive.

>clutch bite point was non existent
>awful transmission
>the most vague steering I have ever felt
>super floaty suspension
>no power

But it definitely teaches you some shit.

really thats not average. but the shifter always hit my leg in 2nd gear.

any of the smaller 80's/90's trucks like the Ranger are good. the Nissan D21's and the Toyota pick ups are infamously reliable, have plentiful amounts of parts, and are piss easy to work on. cheap to buy too.

that and if you install a posi you can actually drift the things if you want.

not even Porsche fans like the 928

if you want a beginner Porsche then get a 944, but still not a beginner car

It may be a beginner *Porsche*, but it ain't no fucking beginner car.

Easy, just get a 3k Civic and put a few simple mods on it.

thats ok too. but probably has a rice tax

Just get a miata

tacoma is fine too

Find a volvo 240 on Craigslist for 500 dollars.

Used cars, especially American used cars, are usually nothing like they're supposed to be. I thought my '04 Mustang drove like shit until I replaced the clutch, shocks, brakes, steering rack, control arms, and swaybar bushings. All with cheap stock parts, not upgrades.

Feels like a totally different car now. It's actually fun. A Ranger is going to drive like ass until it's been overhauled.

>cleetus overtaxes the suspension on his muhstang by 300 lbs over the course of ten years
>completely ignores the underbody maintenance
>sells on craigslist to some Veeky Forumstist who spends more than the car is actually worth to make it driveable

God bless US car culture

range rover is a good starter car

A STARTER CAR???

E30

tt rx7 maybe

haha yeah bro just bought it off cl for a few hundred xd *adjusts glasses and vintage baseball cap*

its always been a good cheap simple car before its ascension into hipster status.

THIS IS NO STARTER CAR! THIS IS A FINISHER CAR!

Redpill me on these old babies

The engine and drivetrain are bulletproof and have more than enough power. Handling wise it's a lot like a Miata: light, nimble, a bit of body roll with the stock shocks/springs. Parts are cheap and readily available and r3vlimited.com is the holy Grail of forums.

tl;dr get an E30 and never look back

I always thought it was a weird rec once we got out of the '90s. Those Volvos have no power, ancient fuel injection, the manuals are fragile, the HVAC is hard to work on, and they rust like mad.

Something like a Camry will be ten times better and more modern.

ty user

I own a manual LJet 928.
If you buy a 928 at any price point be prepared to put $3k into it within the first month.
I wouldn't own a 928 as my only car. Mine was out of commission for around a year at one point when I was having clutch issues while having running issues.

Cant beat a Mini for a starter car

good starter car?

ford focus
maybe a shitbox but they're cheap shitboxes that will run for a while if you go manual

Yes you can. Its natural for it to eat oil. Its natural that you need to pay almost a grand for wheels with sensors becaus e.... you know germans

MR2

What the fuck, really? And to think I wanted to buy one cheaply hoping it's not too expensive to run.

kot

how is someone with no experience even supposed to drive that? wouldn't stalling flood the engine and leave someone stranded in the road?

were you even here when the 240 was the mememobile?

Saturn sl2

>Stupidly cheap
>Don't die
>Insanely easy to work on
>Come in manual

This. Just be ready for awful interior and people making fun of you. My dream beater is a S-series wagon with a 5 speed. Engines are reliable and easy to work on, the cars just look absolutely retarded.

Ford Ranger (manual)
Chevy S10 (again get it manual)
nineties civics and corollas

all good beginner cars

Flooding only happens on rotaries when you abruptly turn off the engine before letting it warm up.

>Porsche 924 / 928 / 944 / 968
I fucking love the looks of these cars and on top of that they are supposed to have both good handling and ride quality which would make them perfect sporty daily drivers which is exactly what I'm looking for. However they are more or less know to be the least reliable money pits out there and the fact that my cousin actually owned one of these about a decade ago and it's transmission got fucked in matter of months gives an IRL confirmation to their lack of reliability.

Yet, I find myself constantly browsing these fuckers on my local Craigslist equivalent and there always are shitloads of these available at prices I could afford. It literally feels like they are there just to tempt me. Sometimes I consider just biting the bullet and buying one of them but at least for now I have come to my senses before doing that.

Also I have a suggestion for a good beginner car for OP: Find a nice, well maintained Mercedes Benz 190/W201. It may not be the most interesting or sportiest car in the world but it is dirt cheap to buy, RWD, comes with manual or automatic, has better ride quality than almost all modern cars, is reliable as fuck and if you ever actually need spare parts for it they are easily available even in 3rd world countries and are just as cheap as parts for something like VW Golf.

i can confirm this
my parents had one while i was growing up
we were poorfags and it was our only car for a while
got it as a gift i think
numerous times wed get all five of us in it and make the trip from the bay area to the rogue valley and back in it
like 350 miles
it was miserable but the car never broke
interior was trashed
motor mounts were broke
struts were shot
mechanic told them he didnt know how it was still running
never put any money into it at all
after we were done being poorfags and my sister and me moved out he sold the thing for like $600 to a guy who was really into saturns
still ran

It's definitely no beginner Porsche either. The 928 was supposed to replace the 911 and it's completely stuffed with electronics that tend to fail and cost an awful lot of time and/or money to fix.

Think a 944 but twice the stuff to fail and twice the cost.

I'm in the same boat. I love the look of a 944 and know all about the great handling. A buddy of mine bought a Craigslist special a year ago, and never dropped a dime in it since then. Now he has to replace the brushings, suspension, and a new radiator. To be honest, all those things don't seem too bad, but it's all at once.

I had a 83 300TD a little over a decade ago. I honestly think they are even more money pits than a 944. Everything about a Mercedes is over priced, and those cars were over engineered and of course everything by the time you look at it will break.

Germans?

>old foreign car based on technology from the '70s made by company that specializes in mark-ups.

You tell us, OP.

Mini is owned by bmw