VW engineer sentenced to 40-month prison term in diesel case

reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-sentencing-idUSKCN1B51YP?utm_campaign=trueAnthem: Trending Content&utm_content=59a05e9b04d301050bce8161&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

>WASHINGTON/DETROIT (Reuters) - A federal judge in Detroit sentenced former engineer James Liang to 40 months in prison on Friday for his role in Volkswagen AG’s (VOWG_p.DE) multiyear scheme to sell diesel cars that generated more pollution than U.S. clean air rules allowed.

>Liang was part of a long-term conspiracy that perpetrated a “stunning fraud on the American consumer,” Cox said, as the defendant’s family looked on in the courtroom. “This is a very serious and troubling crime against our economic system.”

>Volkswagen has admitted that it used software to deceive regulators in the United States and Europe from 2006 to 2015.

>The ruse allowed the automaker to sell diesel-equipped cars and sport utilities without installing emissions control systems that could have compromised performance or posed an inconvenience to customers, prosecutors charged.

Discuss

it's okay when American companies do it though :-D but THOSE JERRIES arent allowed.

>james liang
>jerry

And the executives get away scott free again.....

This. Some marketing prick or supervisor probably said to the Engineer "I don't care what it takes, we need this horsepower and MPG regardless of what the law is." And the engineer took the fall because he wanted to keep his job.

>germans literally gassing americans

pottery

>for his role
Well then, how about sentencing either his boss or a dozen current, not former, engineers? Latter is a bit unethical, but losing them would at very least give a headache to the execs.

This isn't right, the engineer is just doing what he is told.
OF COURSE the execs aren't getting the hammer for this, BLAME the damn engineer who built it under THEIR rules.

seriously the fuck?
Half of America dailies around in some limp dick lifted 6.7l diesel Dodge and then they all freak out when a hatchback with a 1.6l diesel pollutes.

This. It's hypocritical and protectionist as fuck. Half the US passenger vehicle fleet (especially muh SUVs and muh trucks) burns more fuel and blows more fumes than a VW diesel. Americans drive needless amounts in the first place. Roughly half the population can rip their catalytic converters out with no one ever caring. If VWs were classed as SUVs the emissions would've been a-okay, but they're passenger cars so everything must be strict as fuck to protect SUV sales. It's completely laughable. Also it's been proven that pretty much everyone else cheats, too. VW were only caught first and received all the attention.

FCA was literally sued over Ram diesel emissions earlier this year but I haven heard anything in months was a planned $5 billion fine iirc

>I haven heard anything in months was a planned $5 billion fine iirc

>what is mafia

shits still ongoing apparently

fuckers getting together again in October for a conference

>Execs get payed so much because they carry all the responsibility, goy!
>Lolololo, it's all the engineers fault, I'll take my leave if you pay me another few millions!

Just because you're poor doesn't excuse you from doing illegal shit. If your employer asks you for that, document everything you can and leave. Also, don't even think of ratting them out to the authorities or media, because that shit will turn around and get your ass blacklisted.

If they ask you for illegal shit, just quit.

>VAG engineer under pressure to meet the demands of his corporate overlords makes an "unethical" decision for fear of losing his job because his bosses know they won't be punished.

The environmental council
of 12 has spoken all 45 pople who own diesel Volkswagens in the USA felt defrauded!

I think its more of the bosses of the engineer were in cahoots and they obviously aren't going to jail so they have to blame someone

it's not that it pollutes, it's that they lied about how much it pollutes.

Yeah that's pretty much what I mean.

There is no way this single engineer pulled wool over everyone's eyes.

They are too retarded to understand

talk about a fuckin' patsy

a car manufacturer lies? 1-800-come-on-now

no manufacturer has ever lied about, MPG, emissions, performance, or safety (looking at you tekata)

there was nothing new here
at least VW didn't kill anyone with a shrapnel bomb in the steering wheel of their cars

Sad. Wasnt this only good for the consumer though? Im not sure. But didnt we get better performing cars this way? Bad for VW but it was good for the consumer i guess. Unless youre a total faggot who thinks about EL GREEN VEGAN WORLD

Someone needs to make a meme ball saying

>when you ban the sale of diesel cars because of emissions but gas guzzling trucks and SUVs are okay because they are "light trucks"