How do you protect your car from floods?

How do you protect your car from floods?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z4-_bUQ_ApU
federalregister.gov/documents/2000/10/20/00-27038/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-interior-trunk-release
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I dont live in an area legendary for its shitty weather disasters.

by not living in a flood plain

Other than the dumbass remarks that have truth to them
And actual realistic answer would be to park your car on the highest point you can find ie: biggest hill or something and pray it's ok later
Better than just parking in the street.

Houston is legendary for floods?

Put it up on jack stands, that will give you a good foot or two at least. Could be the difference between totaling your car and driving the next morning.

Multi story parking structures?

Inflatable parking spot

Drive it up to the highest point possible and park it there, then come back to it after the waters dissipate

holy shit that 911 is rare as fuck

Don't park below or around sea level.

What is a parking garage?

Clearly, look at the state it's in now. I've never had to deal with a flooding in Ottawa just Ice storms and even those are preventable by putting your car in your garage.

Why didn't these faggots just park in a multi level parking garage? Concrete structure won't get damaged by wind and being several floors up prevents flooding. Every time a hurricane hits here in Florida I just move my cars to a garage.

houston fag here actually.
Parked my shit in hospital parking garage, but it filled up quick. I didn't wait til last minute i put it there a few weeks ago. I drove it a few times and I'd just drive over there in my beater, swap parking places with it, go cruise or whatever for a bit, then put it back. Now its fine, and my beater - my 88 ranger with a 2" lift is sitting here with water over its tires but its just high enough where water isnt getting into it.
Parent's cars is definitely totaled by flood damage im sure. Their idea was to park them both on the little 2' high hill in our back yard which is now fairl washed away and maybe a 1' hill now and both cars had water halfway up the doors.

I'd wager the top floors of a multi-level parking garage fill up pretty quick during a flood. The ones around here are full regardless, even without flooding.

imand this

there are lots of parking garage but they have been pretty much packed full from people doing the same thing for over a week now. Privately owned garages charging anywhere from $500-2000 for a spot in the last week.

>911

That isn't for rain weather jackass. It's a lift to store multiple cars. The rails are so each platform can roll farther down before getting lifted upwards.

Does it lift the car off the ground? Then it is a method of protection against floods, jackass.

>It's a lift to store multiple cars
what's your fucking point? apparently it fucking works

>a few weeks ago

Did Harvey even exist a few weeks ago?

It fails during high winds. Congrats not only is your car flodded. But now crushed upside down.

Drive a full size HD truck and park at a high point.

...also have full coverage insurance so if it gets flooded it gets replaced and it's not that big a deal.

Sure is summer. Do your research kid, the 964 is the name for one generation of 911s

yes, it was probably in the news a lot more for us than the rest of murica/the world.
It was originally slated about a month ago to hit but not be so bad and I wasnt worried, then about 3 weeks ago it increased to cat 3 and I went ahead and put it in the hospital parking garage. A few other people were starting to do the same out of caution and park in free garages.
Then when they came out and said it was going to be even worse and sit over us for awhile and got upgraded to a cat4 everything filled up within days.

Park in your grass as high as you can. if that doesn't work then max out your jacks and jack stands where you park it.

You keep on driving...
youtube.com/watch?v=z4-_bUQ_ApU

Buy a used shipping container and use a sealant on all the creases. Have an emergency sump inside if water gets in.

You're so full of shit, this is the first time it's been flooded in years. Don't opine when you don't know what you're talking about

options:
1) drive away, take a vacation
2) park on the next to top level in a tall parking garage at a mall or something
3) buy one of these and epoxy it shut, and run the fan exhaust/intake up a flagpole/tree/roof

Sandbags and a well built garage.
Also I live up a hill so if my house gets flooded shit is getting biblical

Can you even call yourself a car enthusiast if you don't have a car capsule to prevent your pride and joy from being exposed to normie air

Become an Arab

>not fitting floatation devices all around your car so it floats away to mexico
what are ya stupid?

That would totally be punctured by flying debris in 155 mph winds

not if it's inside your garage

easiest way, drive into a hospitals parking garage

>implying everyone has a garage
>implying that even if they did that houses haven't been completely torn to the ground in some cases
>implying that even if it didn't that the bubble was waterproof

get fucked retard

>"just let me order a shipping crate to my house right before this flood!"

And I'm the retarded one

>drive into container, cant open doors, die

>Single twig in the flood pokes it

Kek true

sunroof

only a mexican would turn their garage into an apartment

this guy died

You better hope you were stupid enough to pay for a sunroof and that you're not too fat to fit through it, oh and tough shit fucking your paint up by stepping on your roof and hood

fine, fold down your rear seats and go out the trunk

>implying even half of all cars have this feature

or just drive to the hospital and park in their parking deck and call a taxi

REALLY?
NO WAY MAN I'M GOING TO GO BUY A PLASTIC BUBBLE AND SHIPPING CONTAINER RIGHT NOW JUST IN CASE

it's the law for vehicles sold in america to be able to do this

why not just buy a boat?

lol no it literally isnt

Remove car battery top off engine and transmission fluid like full overflowing aka pickle engine remove plugs fill with oil and then reinstall. then when water receeds let the electrical system dry out completely and change all fluids. not sure how air bags will be affected though.

and i can deal with houston floods by garaging my car and staying home as well.

heres what id do if i lived in texas and a hurricane is heading right for us
>STOP!
>dont evacuate like the rest of the lemmings
>book hotel in same city
>park car in hospital parking deck
>call taxi to take you to hotel
>didnt even have to swamp the grocery stores like all the other stupid fucks because the hotel has food and water

>implying the hotel is going to be open
I'm not even in Houston and there's a bunch of shit closed, even though we're just getting constant rain here, no actual hurricane. (Austin)

hotels arent going to close

Wail, cry, wait for insurance.

federalregister.gov/documents/2000/10/20/00-27038/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-interior-trunk-release

Unless you have a mid or rear engine car, you will be able to do this

that is stupid as fuck

t. someone who has been through multiple floods in houston where it is currently flooding

>2017
>people unironically driving non-amphibious cars
Normies PLEASE fuck off

its stupid because you didnt think of it

Lol yes there has to be a trunk release but the law does not require that rear seats fold down you dumbass

i'm not trying to "gotcha" you or get into an argument, it's just that almost every modern car will be able to do this

>not everyone needs to evacuate. retards who leave near the common spots really never learn like manlets
>waste of money on a hotel that can flood, not all are higher up + getting stuck
>pay to park in a hospital garage
>taxis are pajeet drivers and smell like curry shit
>if you went to HEB before the store after 11pm you easily could have gotten shitloads of water/food/snacks/flashlights

>hotel refunds you due to flooding
thats another win

2 of my 3 modern cars can't do this is what I'm saying. You're just wrong. It's only possible in certain cars, not even close to the majority. It's a stupid argument anyways though

who the fuck cares, no ones going to use a shipping container that some underage autist thinks is some brilliant idea

i won't be wrong until you link to something that actually gives hard numbers. Every modern car I've been in can do this, Saabs, mercedes E Class, VW GTI, Toyotas, Infinitis...

That's my point lol

I simply don't give enough of a shit to do that user, Nice talking with you.

Not to mention literally every crossover, which are EVERYWHERE

>your car floats off and is stolen by melanin enriched gentlemen

By not living in America.

Houston flooded in 2015 and 2016. google Houston memorial day flood and Houston tax day flood.

those poor people from Katrina moving to a flood prone city like Houston. Where will they go next.

This is why I don't take jobs in Houston.

I left my truck outside to get btfo in the flood. Still drives kek

Based chebby

i noticed rams and chebbys are everywhere in texas, the only fags that drive f150s are the ones who never use them for any work besides stopping at starbucks for a latte on their commute

As a european I go for a 2 step strategy:

1. Insurance
2. Not living in a fucking 3rd world country

I mean, if you have gap insurance and really want to get out of debt, a flood could be a great opportunity for you.

>drive back out again