Digital Displays

What does Veeky Forums think? In a luxury car they come off as super cheap...I prefer the a classic display.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Vt3HuO3YyY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Full on gimmick. Just give me a proper interface so I can plug my phone into the dash and control it through the center console, anything more is a waste of resources.

The digital dash on my S10 was pimp. That's just a bunch of led's/vfd's though. Most fully digital display dash's are laggy as fuck and look and feel like a old cell phone. Even in $100k cars.

too much lag

also nothing gets me harder than seeing the rev clock hand whatever the fuck it's called go up

Loved driving the new 2016 Civic 1.5t. hated looking at a digital imitation speedometer and tach. Give me real needles please

>rev clock hand whatever the fuck it's called
the...
the tachnometer?
user how do you not know...

>rev clock
MY SIDES

They're lame in any car that doesn't need them, but from what I understand some supercars rev up so fast that they need to use a digital display because a physical one can't keep up and would be inaccurate. This was true for the LFA and I'm sure a few other cars.

>some supercars rev up so fast that they need to use a digital display because a physical one can't keep up and would be inaccurate.

In fucking N with no load. A normal needle could easily keep up on a loaded engine. I can take the blade off my lawnmower and make it rev just as fast but it's irrelevant because there's no load.

I like having analogue needles for things like speed, tach, fuel and temperature. But a secondary digital display to show other information is nice to have

i think this is the perfect amount of comfy desu

analog rev clock digital speed

The rpm guage?
The rpm needle?
The tacho?

I've always thought the Sonic's cluster was neat. Reminds me of a motorcycle.

pretty sure thats what they were going for.

same with the headlights

Not a huge fan of Aston Martin's counterclockwise tachometer
I can understand the aesthetic though

These types of old digital dashes are great because it's the same shit as a normal gauge cluster, just with 8-segment displays, lines, and letters instead of round faces. You've still got sharp edges and natural curves and etc etc., and it's usually designed pretty simply- no extraneous gradients or backgrounds or what have you.

Shit like the OP image where it's just a digital screen showing a picture of some crappy-looking gauges makes me puke, not to mention how the font and background and etc are always ATROCIOUS. Just give us two gauges, you fucking cockheads. Why do I need a picture of the sky? Why can't you use a font that isn't fucking Arial Narrow? Why are all the gauges always italicized?

>be car company
>spend billions of money and months of time designing a car
>cant afford to hire a single decent graphics artist to design a good digital dash

>when the rev clock hits 1pm

Have had people repeated want to see the digital gauge in my JZZ30
My only issue with it is that the tachometer is really thin, so it's a little difficult to know what rpm you're at just from a glance

>tfw you sleep in too late and miss your rev

>shift up
>go back in time

>still the best

>miss a gear
>become your own grandfather

I drove some new Lexus is f sport and I fucking loved the digital tach. Am I a minority here?

>Luxury cars used to flaunt their gauges and dashboards as yet another piece of fine craftmanship and a selling point for why you got an expensive, exclusive car.
>Now everyone gets a screen. Everyone gets the same shitty screen. The poorest poor fag and the richest rich fag get the same faggy infortainment display that might display something engine related.

Depends how it's done.

I love it honestly just waiting until I can afford one.

>shift down
>go into the future

they look fucking retarded the only one that doesnt is the lexus lfa

I hope so.

The Lexus one is kind of basic it doesn't do navigation and stuff it's all engine/tach afaik.

which is the way it should be, the bezel is a nice touch instead of a generic looking lcd screen

automatic? gtfo

As I recall it's 10 speed auto or 6 manual. Don't think they're even out yet though.

always the manual

I love this car, too bad I can't afford one..

Close your capot, dude wtf?

>stall the car
>time stops

Would have bought this car but no clutch...

The damn things look outdated out of the factory.
What do you think?

Nice if they let you customize the interface, including gauge size, placement and appearance, as well as what gauges you want shown. And don't lag.

Otherwise they should be the minimum size required by regulation for backup camera output and/or take the place of the warning lights.

And either way it had better have a dimmer switch.

I prefer the classic digital display.

Look at built-in GPS units of the '90s and you'll know the answer.

>345ps RWD
>0-60 in 5.1 sec
>outperform GS450h
>totally ruined by crappy "muh world's first" lcd dash
youtube.com/watch?v=1Vt3HuO3YyY

Having extra shit on the gauge cluster is pointless because the steering wheel blocks half of it anyway.

Fuck my sides

Just makes it more expensive to replace. It's another step toward making cars disposable.

Got to drive a current-gen Audi A3 last week, those digital display really got better. I see no use in them except for looking fancy but saying they are laggy and look old isn't right anymore.

holy shit user thanks for that

a e s t h e t i c

My mom has a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit ed, and I like the display it has. I've hated nearly every single other modern one I've ever seen.

> tachnometer

kek

I like analogue gauges for revs, speed, temp, fuel, oil, and volts, with a small dot-matrix screen in the bottom center for messages like door open, miles to empty, compass, etc.

On older cars digital displays like work well. If done right, they can make a car look very futuristic, like the LFA's display. But those two exceptions aside, nothing beats analog. Specially for a luxury car.

That was such a marketing gimmick its not even funny. What about all the superbikes. They rev quite fast but still have analog clocks.

An LCD flickering in nanoseconds is sexier than a needle moving in milliseconds.

It's a perception thing, sure. It's still sexier and IMO matches the overall character of the car.

>Nice if they let you customize the interface
They'll get more "you caused me to have an accident" lawsuits if they have any options that remove the speedometer or shift it to a new position. Because of lawsuit potential, I can't imagine the car manufacturer allowing too many wild options.

That's not digital tho

Mercedes has always made shit gauges and displays. The only germans who do it right is BMW. Veeky Forums will never admit it, though.

waiting for this image

I like my srt8s backlit gauge cluster and vfd info, pic not mine but have srt8 2008

Porsche did it good: rpm meter is still classic in the middle, while the rest is digital and personalizable

>In a luxury car they come off as super cheap...I prefer the a classic display
I agree, it looks like cheap chink shit...which I guess is the point, gooks and hajis with more money than taste/brains are the main target market for this gaudy shit

Is it just me or does this make trying to navigate your map harder to do? It's seemingly too visually busy.compounded by being behind the steering wheel I imagine. Second probably isn't helped by the terrain color.
Or is it just a thing you get used to quickly?

Regarding the Audi I had no problem with the map. The display is rather large, filling the entire dash and the colors were okay as the resolution is fine. The Porsche display seems a little small though, but it's mostly there to show you the next turn I guess. You'll always have a big screen to your right as usual anyway.

So it's paired with the usual nav screen? Makes more sense then, wonder when more cars will start putting in HUDs or some such.

The map is kind of busy but the dials are right. It doesn't look like the text is out of place and saying "LOOK AT ME I'M DIGITAL", the only way you'd tell it was digital was that it wasn't fixed on certain displays.

It's like I'm looking at a fisher price videogame. There's a fake futuristic power up and down sound when you press the ignition too.

i fucking love this website

The "shift position" indicator is interesting. Kind of a cool readout, but anyone capable at driving stick should be able to know the gears by feel

I sat in one of these and I have to say any of the digital displays with nav are awesome.