Is it possible to write a trading algorithm that consistently beats the market?

Is it possible to write a trading algorithm that consistently beats the market?

Other urls found in this thread:

nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economic-sciences/laureates/1997/press.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't think it's possible considering inflation, you're always better off investing in your labor capital.

Yeah just make it buy low and sell high

I would do it myself but I'm to intelligent too get involved in making money

some dudes won a nobel prize for writing a derivatives formula to predict future worth of call options over any given time.

nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economic-sciences/laureates/1997/press.html

I think it was based on market rationality and subsequently failed but they made ridiculous amounts of money short term.

You could succeed where they failed.

kek

you're gonna get cucked, user.

>I would do it myself but I'm to intelligent too get involved in making money

fucking kek

not really, they just assumed the bond price would be dependant o past returns of similar bond . Which is good in 99% cases but when black swan event happens you are left with had in the cookie jar. Besides all ivestors use black-sholes ow

heh, almost got it
i just started looking into this recently, its not a forte

>I don't think it's possible considering inflation,

No, the market is too volatile for a predefined algo

>considering inflation
>market too volatile for trading

on which planet am i? clearly it's day time usa on Veeky Forums

>I think it was based on market rationality and subsequently failed

Probably because once you share a working strategy, a lot of people start doing it, then it corrects the prices of the stocks, making the technique worthless

the guy above mentioned that all investors use black sholes formula now. When I was looking into it, the mentioned the creators were competing with soros at the time and they didnt account for the global shocks (this was the 1980s?) and lost. its been a while since i had to remember sorry ahead

You're talking about LTCM I think. They failed when the lost $4.6bn in less than 4 months after the 97 Asian crisis and the 98 Russian crisis. Their strategy was convergence trading (arb trading) and worked for most asset classes that were traded on multiple exchanges.
Their strategy worked but arbitrage spreads widened way farther than what they thought were possible in 1998 and they lost their ass before the spreads tightened again. All in all, they would've been fine had they not be so extremely leveraged.

>1998 and they lost their ass before the spreads tightened again. All in all, they would've been fine had they not be so extremely leveraged.
but this begs the question, had they not been so leveraged, would they have earned the returns they did before the crash?
Obviously not, but this takes us into the impossible territory of guessing if it was the right strategy with their knowledge at the time- I'd say yes, but they got unlucky

there's literally millions of algos on the internet by people that tried and failed

but yours will work. you are special.

Fun fact: one of the founders of LTCm was John Meriwether former head of the domestic fixed income arbitrage group at (no defunct) Salomon Brothers investment bank which was the topic of Michael Lewis' "Liar's Poker".

i hanv't read Liar's poker, but sounds interesating, will give it a go!

bump

Also read "When Genius Failed", it's about LTCM.

/board