Roadtrip Advice, Toolkit, and MUSIC

So I'm competing in Hotrod Drag Week in about a week and a half.

I will be driving from Sacramento, California to Cordova, Illinois in my '84 Honda Civic, then actually competing in the event which is like another 1,200 miles.

What would you pack for tools, spare parts, and what music do you suggest? I don't have a co driver, so I'm solo'ing this bitch

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/16642612/#q16645796
twitter.com/AnonBabble

here's the car in question.

How did you get approved for the Civic kek.

I would being coolant, basic hand set of metric, spare belts and worst case scenario a head gasket and a waterpump

I don't have a head gasket but I do have a spare water pump. If this thing shits a head gasket, I'm fucked regardless. My engine is strong as she's gonna be though, I can't complain. Good compression, clean oil that it doesn't burn, and she doesn't overheat, even in 105 degree weather today.

Hey, were you talking to me in the /k/ thread? If so, where in Colorado are you?

How many miles on the engine since it's last rebuild? Do you take it on long drives often?(270-400 miles in a 72 hour time frame)

I would bring a gallon of premix coolant, 5 quarts of oil, top off your clutch, brake, power steering and washer fluid before heading out. Check to see that your battery is being charged while the car is idling, 14.3 volts should be around the right range. Check belt tension, check tire tread and pressure, maybe get an alignment if it's off.

GET A FULL SIZE SPARE TIRE! Nothing sucks like getting a flat on the freeway, and a compact donut will only let you limp in the slow lane until you find a tire shop. Change your flat with a full size spare and be back on the road instantly, no delay.

Bring a 2 gallon gas can in case you run out, sleeping bag for nights on the car, a case of water

slow piece of shit...i can smoke the fuck out of this in my 1994 EG hatch with a couple of simple mods:

- 10 point cage with Parachute
- 3 piece discontinued JoJo frontend
- spec-R full drag suspension
- Fuel cell with -8 lines from tank to motor
- 1 044 bosch pump
- 1200 rc injectors
- golden eagle sleeved block
- cp 10:1 pistons
- Eagle rods
- arp headstuds
- oem h22 headgasket
- Balance shaft delete
- competition clutch twin disc
- Port and polished head
- skunk2 valve springs and retainers
- Str cam gears
- crower stage 1 cams
- aluminium radiator with slim fan
- gsr transmission with itr lsd.
- qsd h2k intake manifold adapter
- k20 rbc manifold
- qsd throttle body spacer
- blox 70mm throttle body
- 4bar omni map sensor
- 6al msd with coil and cap. 3 step launch control
- hks bov
- Garret 102mm turbocharger.
- Custom t4 front facing turbo manifold with 44mm flange
- 44mm tial wastegate
- Custom water to air intercooler set up
- aem eugo wideband w/ gauge
- tuned on chipped p28
- 13 inch volks drag rims
- 2 15 inch volks rear rims
- arp extended wheel studs
- si cluster
- 150 shots of nitrous
im making 348 horsepower to the FRONT WHEELS because thats the only place the power should ever be

Ahh this pasta.

Funny thing is my friend just finished building his 397hp turbo Civic Del Sol, with just a few simple mods that cost him $20,000

It's got 190,000 on it, and I just took it within a 72 hour period 600 or so miles (180 miles at a time). Didn't overheat, didn't really care. I only have 60hp to play with though, so that does mean 40mph up hills.

>coolant or premix
Bringing a shit ton of water, and extra coolant lines incase my funky shaped, literally only used on this car lines burst.

>oil
Bringing two quarts due to weight, but she doesn't burn oil at all, so I think I'm good.

>clutch fluid
Spring actuated clutch, literally no fluid, kek. Also bringing a spare clutch

>brake fluid
Just replaced the master cylinder so we're good to go there

>power steering fluid
no power steering, no problem

>check batter for charging
battery charges no problem, but I bought an extra alternator just in case

>belt tension
all good, and I did the timing belt already, plus I have a spare belt (literally only one belt, it's to the alternator)

>full size spare
I am bringing two full size, DOT approved drag radials. I have to, because stupid race rules. If I get a flat, I'm putting those bitches on and going to the closest tire shop to get my shit patched.

>gas can
Gonna bring one but a new one, so I don't breath gas 24/7

>sleeping bag
Got that covered, literal boy scout

>water
yup

Oh yeah, and I had the tires replaced Saturday with a new set. I even got the guys at America's Tire to warranty my slicks for full replacement, the man men.

You sound like you know what you're doing, I wish you the best of luck in your travels fellow Honda hatch bro(I drive a 5spd '94 Accord Wagon with 220,000 on the clock, she's getting an EX motor with only 165,000 miles soon.

The best thing I can think to add is cash, keep enough to get yourself home, and keep it on your person at all times. You never know if some bullshit is going to happen and you end up getting the shit end of the stick. I was traveling in Georgia and the rental car company denied my cards because I was from California and their computer thought it was fruad.

I'm planning on at least $250 cash, and my card should be alright (Visa). If not, well, we'll figure it out.

Any pics of the Accord? Wagons are dank

Yes. And I'm in Denver.

Yeah I'm gonna run and get something to eat, I'll try to get a nice pic.

The 5th gen manual wagons are becoming pretty rare, and they only made a few hundred in the EX trim with manual trans. I bought it as an LX but I've been slowly converting it to an EX:
OEM Rear sway bar
OEM Ex 15" alloys
OEM roof racks
Not going to add ABS
Not going to convert rear brakes
Not going to add sunroof

Installed Ex tweeters in dash
Dolby Digital factory original tape deck

Chrome trim around windows that was only available on EX sedans.

Soon it will have the Ex Vtec motor and it will really be one of a kind.

It's my daily and my baby, I plan on driving for the next 20 years, if I have to shell put $10,000 for a complete teardown and rebuild I will, it's still cheaper than buying a fugly new car.

>central Colorado

Maaaaybe on the way back if I have time, but prolly not in the first leg. That's like a 3 hour detour from I-80, is it not?

Not sure. I70 runs through Denver though.

Two hour and twenty minute detour. Not gonna do that, fuuuuuck that, unless you were serious about the couch.

Yeah no problem by me, depending on the date. When are you out here?

September 7th or 8th, and then coming back on like the 16th or 17th. I'll have more concrete dates as the days go on.

Email me at this temporary email and I'll give you my number and email.

[email protected]

Lots of water for when you break down and get thirsty

Sent you an email my dude

I'll be bringing some, but I won't be bringing too much; I don't want to add too much weight. Literally no power kek

>So I'm competing in Hotrod Drag Week in about a week and a half.
If you re-read past posts by participants, you might see what kinds of break downs they had. I bet the main problem is a flat tire followed by overheating. You would have had an oil change to full synthetic so having old oil is not a problem. In terms of driving speed, having another driver means 24 hour driving.

In any "who gets there first" race, not driving 24hrs per day means you don't place or get into the first upteen positions. If other events go on at the finish line while the race waits for stragglers to arrive, you also miss out on them if you are last to arrive.

>What would you pack for tools, spare parts, and what music do you suggest?

AAA membership card is one of my favorite "ease of mind" items along with extra battery powerpack for the cellphone. AAA is no good if I can't reach them.

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/16642612/#q16645796

Bring a tire patch kit. If you get a flat and you're super far away from any tire place you don't have to worry about driving on the spare for a long time and having it blow out. New donuts are only rated for about 60 miles.

Make sure your spare is aired up to 60 psi. If you do it right your plug will last hundreds, if not thousands of miles. That will give you plenty of time to get it repaired correctly, plus you won't have to take up a ton of space with a full size spare like the other user said

>What would you pack for tools
Electric tire inflator and an accurate air pressure gauge. I don't like those goop type temporary repair cans since that makes a huge mess inside the tire. But that might be the only economic solution if you get a flat in a mountain area and need to drive (limp) out of there to the nearest town with a tire repair facility. That would be way cheaper than a tow. And even if you have AAA, limping to the next town would save on you using up your AAA tow limit.

I've had nails before that were slow leaks. I inflated the tire fast with the electric inflator and drove on another 20 miles, then stopped and topped off the air again since my TPMS let me see the dwindling air pressure as I drove. The TPMS were pretty accurate as they matched the readings from my handheld air pressure gauge.

make sure you have a good jack and stand. May have to really get under the car and that would help a lot more than the standard jack.

not going to win or even seriously compete, and thankfully this isn't a "who gets there first" type of race. Not a road rally, the road is simply a meat grinder. Plus, no co driver, so kinda boned there.

already a member and wouldn't dream of a trip without it.

I'll have two full size DOT approved drag radials so I have spares for sure.

I have a small legit wheeled jack I'm bringing, plus a set of two jack stands. I'll be good to go I think.

>So I'm competing in Hotrod Drag Week in about a week and a half.
Each time you make a major stop, update your Hotrod Drag Week trip and contest thread on Veeky Forums. The rest of us don't get to experience any of these long trip contests and want to know more about how the contests and contestants set up, get going, and maybe even encounter each other on the road if there are any waypoints.