E34 M5?

BMW Enthusiasts, found this for sale online for about $1000. E34 535, It's marked as an M5 and seems to look fairly like one, but after a bit of research it doesn't actually appear to be an M5.
Can anyone confirm this for me? Why would it be labelled like that and even registered with the submodel of M5?

Just curious to know if this guy doesn't know what he's doing and I can steal an M5 off him, or if it's just a fake M5 under the guise of a 535i.

people are putting fake M badges on literally everything are you surprised?

What confuses me is that it's not just an M Badge it literally says M5 and even registered into the government computers as a BMW 535/M5

doesn't look like an M5.
has he posted the VIN?

>look up e34 M5 images from google
>double check the differences to that shitbox

it ain't so hard to spot mistakes user, even 5yo children can do this!

As you can see the M Badge on your car is way too close to the 5 and the font / style of the 5 is complety different on yours, it's fake

I already concluded that it wasn't an M5, just wanted a second opinion as it is registered with M5 in the submodel bracket for some reason.

Ask for the vin code

That 7 should be an 8 user.

Since when are this kind of rectangular plates allowed in the states??

>states
>steering wheel position

This. Pretty obvious to pick an M cluster against the typical 7000rpm cluster.
Looks like a 535iS. It'd still be worth stashing away and hanging on to if you're handy with a spanner and can read a repair manual.
If it's a factory 5 speed manual I'd be jumping at it. Factory M30/Getrag 5 series Bimmers are getting Les and less common.

that's definitely a 5 from an older 5-series eg 540i or something. That is not the same font as an M5. If that was an M5, it would not be $1000

It would still be worth buying though, 535s have the M30 engine which is easy as fuck to work on.

Sup fellow kiwi user, it's a 535i sorry.

...and it's an auto :(
But is an LSD :)
I'd still buy it.

There's also a possibility that he's done a manual swap too.

Hey mate cheers for the info, what website is that? I just used carjam but it doesn't give nearly as much info.

grab the last 7 digits of the vin off carjam and punch it into bmwvin.com

Was the car listed on one of the FB sale groups?

This thread is why people put fake badges on their cars

Yeah mate, I can link it to you if you want to buy it I'm not too interested, was just really curious hence why I posted it here to get expert opinions on it.

100% not an M5. You can see in that photo t is an automatic - they never made an automatic E35 M5. Also the badge is wrong, it is literally the 5 from the 525i or whatever badge with an M stuck in front of it.

>Drive HECK

But those are New Zealand plates user