I know I'm gonna get reamed for this, but:

I know I'm gonna get reamed for this, but:

What does Veeky Forums think of rat rods?

Trash fad that ate itself. The entire point of a rad rod was that it wasn't supposed to be expensive and was supposed to be the owner doing the work. Now people pay shops 75k for rat rods. Not to mention alot of cars that should be restored are now being completely butchered because of the latest hot meme.

You mean like Steve Darnell?

Also way too many chopped Model A's.

this

I like them
This , except you mean it is supposed to be inexpensive

Stale meme. What was originally broke high school kids DIY modding their old shitbox to look like a racing car is now middle-aged men paying other people enough to buy a modern sports car so they can get a caricature of those old modded shitboxes.
Vaping inbreds with fart cans, pointless spoilers and CAIs are closer to the spirit of rat rodding than modern rodders are.

rat rods got rid of billet boydsters tho

boomer mobiles who pay shops 50k+ to chop up a restorable classic, then they put some cringe shit like skulls and bullets and women on them. A beat up 94 civic with a k20 is more ratrod than this ratrod trend cancer

/thred

real rats are cool

thing is though, i'm not wrong

They are cool. Fuck restoring anything.
It's gay
Have fun

Controversial opinion

I think a lot of those kustom cars that boomers and fat chicks in pocka dot dresses like actually have been made to look worse than they were originally.

Rat rods are more of a 90's thing than a 50's thing.

Hot rod building got more expensive so people started to make rat rods instead.

Real rat rods built in home garages with rusted parts and no fucks given are fucking awesome. Problem is that there aren't a lot of real rat rods out there anymore as stated.

Running a hot rod on a tight budget and DIYing a few things is alright, but things that are purposely made dangerously unsafe don't belong on public roads. Shit like this deserves to wander straight to the crusher, I don't care how old it is.

This. Also, rat rods first became a thing when REAL out-the-door performance cars didn't exist. Mostly teens and young men with older cars that would soup them up to sanic. Aside from nostalgia, they don't make much sense when you can buy used Mustangs for $5k.

/Thread

As others have said, this guy gets it. However when done correctly, it is awesome to have an incredibly short wheelbase truck with 50/50 weight distribution and a 600 horsepower big block coming in at around 2600 pounds

>Muh safety

Just take the bus.

I believe you're confusing hot rods with rat rods

I can never imagine personally buying one but I like them and I like looking at them at car shows and seeing the time and craftsmanship put into them.

A rat rod is a car you pulled out of the dredges and did the bare minimum to get it road worthy while adding your own personal style on the sheet metal repair.

sheet metal repair? what if its all plastic?

Terrible render.

zero appeal and indifferent.

>render

thats a real photo thats been heavily edited

getting rid of boyd helped

Brad is gay

Billet Boydsters were okay.

The problem was all the shitty attempts at copying that style where the car looks way too old to have big billets that were inspired by boydsters.

rat roids gave him cancer