Is there a better body style for daily than wagon?

Is there a better body style for daily than wagon?
>slightly longer than sedan/hatchback; not enough to make a real difference
>supreme cargo space
>easiest access from rear
>when needed you can comfortably sleep inside after folding backseats and getting some pillows
>unmatched visibility, large rear windows
>can transport most things suburbian truckqueens use as an excuse for their fatass pickups
this month only i used mine to move one ton of scrap metal and it was easy peasy

Other urls found in this thread:

caranddriver.com/news/2018-mercedes-amg-e63-s-wagon-photos-and-info-news
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

By that logic I'd suggest big van or bus being better than wagon.

van/bus is a lot larger, sometimes too tall to fit under old bridges. they are also considerably slower and have higher center of gravity.

forgot to mention (OP here) - my shitbox is focus mk 1. great cheap daily, can reach 190km/h as well, i stick to 160 most of the time though.

imo there isnt, my third car will be wagon probably.

i had a coupe, sedan and it's time for something bigger.

Better looking as well.

>Is there a better body style for daily than wagon?
yes, an SUV.

>more upright/natural seating position
>body clearance mean avoiding kerbs etc is easy
>larger boot space than a wagon because extra height which is more useful than overall length
>easier to load cargo/children as you dont have to bend over as far
>often have AWD as an option for light offroad duties/snow use

there's a reason SUVs have become far more popular than wagons around the world.

wagons are cool for an interesting/fun daily with rarity, however ultimately for pure daily purposes a SUV is more practical

>way bigger
>barely any more ground clearance
>length is more important than height with carrying stuff

The only reason SUVs are more popular than wagons is because normies like staying higher on the road to feel superior. Otherwise there are limited to no benefits for practical purposes irl.

SUVs are for women and manlets who want to compensate for not being tall IRL by being tall on the road.

kys

>larger boot space than a wagon because extra height which is more useful than overall length
you couldnt be more wrong. try putting a fridge or any furniture inside SUV.

as much as I like my merc wagon I want to get a sedan as my next car because when you have a wagon everyone constantly calls you to moove shit around

Ask some payment for it, like a nice drink, lunch etc.

or I can just buy another wagon
>tfw get drunk and run out of shit to eat
>decide to go and buy some chicken
>rear seats were folded back
>1 friend gets in the back laying
>pull a mad skid and he rolls around like a barrel and hits his head and starts screaming

Vans or buses have compromised handling and are often uncomfortably large for tight roads and parking lots. The selling point of the wagon is that it does the same things as a sedan does but with more space and versatility.

>wider
>taller
>heavier
>worse rear visibility
>disgusting sliding doors
>boot isn't a hatch, if at all existent

>height is better than length
objectively wrong. height is useless with shopping cause you'll end up stacking shit on top of other things, and you don't need it to fit people inside the car.
>often have AWD as an option for light offroad duties/snow use
you don't need AWD to drop timmy off and to get the groceries. besides, most wagons worth owning have an AWD variant that's a bit more jacked up.

Sliding doors are based though, especially for your children in the back slamming them open.

>new gen wagon WRX never ever

You are correct.

SUVs are better than minivans for sure, but they are neither superior to a hatch/wagon nor inferior
there's a continuum of number of typical passengers and cargos that make any given type preferable for a different person

your average 20 something probably doesn't have much big shit to haul nor kids to ferry and probably benefits from mileage better

a family of five that often travels and hauls outdoor equipment and sometimes drives on some iffy roads probably needs a suburban

but this is Veeky Forums, so whichever type works better for the poster is the best and true and only

It's for gays.

>slightly longer than a hatchback
>almost 1,5 feet
>slightly

Jesus, burgerman does it again

I like large hatchbacks more nowadays, the Golf or Focus have a ton of cargo space with the rear seats folded.

>Wagon
Nope, no better car if you live in redneck fud flyover country. Come into a city for once in your life and you'll see how silly they are.

Then you can go home, cry, and pretend you never saw the city for your own mental health.

It's not because it makes us feel superior, it's because things are easier to see when you are higher up.

>Visit Nikko to go to the top of irohazaka
>Mfw the bus was driving faster than most the cars there
>Mfw you saw nothing but cliff when the bus turned corners
>Mfw they where driving manual the whole time
Dunno mate I've seen vans and busses that handle well too. The Mazda 5 my buddy had was a blast to drivea considering you don't see 6 speed manual minivans now days.

Liftback coupe my dude

That looks shite

There are variations

Ah, a different shade of shite.

the absolute state of amerifats

>implying that pos can even tow a trailer

>this is what amerilards believe
Not him, but I shit you not, I've towed a trailer with furniture in a fucking corolla

fuck, meant

A mini MPV is better but a wagon is my second choice

enjoy your new transmission fuccboi

Enough for your babby tasks three times a year and as long as you don't approach it like a complete retard.

But of course Americans go about everything like complete retards and expect the equipment to compensate for it.

Found the hot hatch cuck.

No user, Stacy from calculus won't shag you just because your autistic pocket racer makes 200 HP to the front wheels. she feels far more comfortable in Chad's 4runner because they can sleep tight in the backseats.

cars sold outside usa usually have twice the tow rating of their american versions - go on give it a google.
americans are made to believe that anything smaller than a truck is completely incapable of towing.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Americans insist it's because of different requirements, which is true to an extent, but to an extent it's also true that regulation favors pickup trucks for reasons of protectionism of Detroit.

>be eurofag
>took my friend's truck (Ram 1500) to haul a load of roof gravel today
>roll up to weighing station at waste disposal
>4975kg (roughly 11000lbs)
Try that in your Passat wagon. I even got better gas mileage too.

If you are using your station wagon for hauling stuff, consider a renting small disposable cargo van, or using a trailer. Why you would ever ruin your daily by hauling scrap inside?

SUV vehicle dynamics are lacking.

I tow a trailer up to 750KG in my 1.2l Skoda Fabia Wagon with no problems other than it being sluggish. Towing furniture in a small trailer is easy whatever car you drive.

I don't really see a problem with the US's obsession with big trucks, honestly I really like them. They're comfortable, have a good driving position, and have tons of room inside. I have more a problem with the single person communters and clueless suburban soccer moms driving midsize SUVs and crossovers.

Do most Americans need a truck, no. Do most people need anything other than a Nissan Leaf limited to 40mph? Also no. People buy things because they want them, not because they need them.

>I even got better gas mileage too.
Things that didn't happen. Also how often in your life do you do such hauls for private purposes, and is it worth pouring money into a truck all year long for when a lot of material dealers and shops will deliver cheaply or for free?

>what are trans coolers?
kys

This. My wife drives a Mazda 6 liftback sedan and it's mindboggling what you can fit in there.

What makes a wagon shitty for a city?
I live in one, don't see a problem.

>4975kg (roughly 11000lbs)
You know what we call that?
Illegal as fuck unless you have a special license and the car is legal to carry more than 3500kg.

The only way his doings weren't illegal is if he was pulling a trailer and included the trailer weight in the numbers. No half ton truck in the world is rated for such a gross weight, let alone such a load capacity.

Same with pickups and trailers to be honest.

Oh, and another story from today
>Be driving to friend in said Ram 1500
>Pouring rain
>See buddy's kid on a bicycle, in a shirt and shorts, soaking wet
>Pull over into the shoulder
>Throw his bike in the back within 20 seconds
>Drive the kid home
Try doing that with a wagon. You have to fold seats, fit it carefully so you don't scratch the interior, and by the time you did that, you're soaking wet from all the rain.

>They're comfortable, have a good driving position, and have tons of room inside.
This. 90% of the time, they'r just cheap luxury vehicles with a good image.

That specific Ram 1500 has averaged 7.6km/l over it's lifetime. At current LPG prices (0.78/L), that's about 10.2cents per km.
A 2017 Passat averages about 13-14km/l according to Fuelly, let's assume 14. At current petrol prices here (1.64/L), that's 11.7 cpkm.

>How often do you haul?
Not my truck, but it gets used to haul roughly once a week. It's used to haul an 950kg (empty) trailer to six or seven events a year, that alone is enough to warrant it - there's no delivery service for that.

Given the tax loopholes that exist for these work vehicles, they are, in fact, cheaper to buy and operate than a bottom tier 3er diesel.

A Ram weighs 2700kg, trailer weighs 300, I had just under 2 tons of gravel in there, well below the weight limit of my combination. I've got a ''speshul license'' (BE), I'm required to know what my trailering limits are.

Except that you could convert a Passat to CNG as well, so the argument is moot. Also

>boohoo someone got wet, this sure made my truck purchase worth it

Also you basically towed as much as a diesel Passat would've been allowed to tow. 2000 kgs. Great job, applause for your hunk of junk shitbarge.

>If you are using your station wagon for hauling stuff, consider a renting small disposable cargo van, or using a trailer. Why you would ever ruin your daily by hauling scrap inside?

because i can, if you do it right it wont damage the car - putting some big cloth under all the shit. im not going to buy a big car just because i have to dispose of scrap lying around garden since forever.

>what is better than wagon?
nothing, it's perfect

>Try doing that with a wagon. You have to fold seats, fit it carefully so you don't scratch the interior, and by the time you did that, you're soaking wet from all the rain.
Takes me about 10 seconds in a Skoda Octavia Wagon and then you can just slide the bike in, instead of throwing it over a pretty high sidewall.

And scratch what? It's a wagon, not a luxery vehicle, it has textile seats with special shit on the back of the seats as they are made to be folded down and carry shit.

>body clearance mean avoiding kerbs etc is easy

if you have way too much trouble not curbing cars you should probably not drive

CNG isn't available here, and when it is, it's too expensive. LPG is the dominant alternative fuel.

A Passat 1.4 starts at 35K EUR without that LPG (2-3K), which would cost 239 EUR in road tax every three months after conversion.
A Passat 2.0 TDI starts at 41K EUR here, and costs 369 EUR in road tax every three months.
A Ram 1500 will cost you less than 40K for a loaded example with LPG, and costs 151 EUR in road tax.

The Ram can trailer 3500kg. Try doing that in your Passat. Also, try going from 0 to 100 kph in less than 6 seconds in a Passat.

You are treating your cars like junk. Might be fine on a second hand wagon, not fine on a year old car (for me at least).

>because normies like staying higher on the road to feel superior

Also fat people.

Lot's and lots of fat people.

also status symbols

uk roads are so shit people are also convinced they need an SUV to survive them

>You are treating your cars like junk. Might be fine on a second hand wagon, not fine on a year old car (for me at least).
It was €25k wagon, new.
It's gonna be used like a wagon.
It's made for it.

We've been "abusing" it for 6 years
A few scratches on the plastic here and there is all you can see. There is a giant plastic back in the boot, together with a plaid and some straps. It has had a couch and bed on the roof. Half my house interior, several bikes, oil, stones, sand, junk etc. inside.

The biggest damage it has is a small dent on the right rear door, from some idiot slamming his door against it. I would say it being used as a wagon isn't the biggest problem.

OP here my Focus is like 14 years old and as i said nothing bad will happen to it if you are not retarded

Wagons are used by plenty of poor people and hipsters here in the US, and usually by immigrants too. I always see then stuffed to the brim with their crap which often obscures their vision and makes them look like their living in their car, even if they're just moving or going to play in their shitty band.

I always think "Why don't they just get a truck or a van?". Can you wagonfags explain it to me?

>wagonfags
>posts picture of minivan

its literally been explained multiple times, read the thread before posting

Is the Caliber SRT4 a wagon or a 4 door hatch?

But bigger tires and more suspension travel helps big time on shitty europoor roads. I would gladly pay extra for fuel costs with an SUV if I lived there

I use the term wagon and hatch interchangeably. Youre autistic if you think otherwise. Technically, fox body mustangs, turd gen maros and firebirds and corvettes were hatchbacks

I dont care if its a super dope WRX or ST or RS, hatches look like minivans to me. Same aesthetic as a Scion xB and xA and every other van. Sedans with long hoods look best in my eye. Coupes better be super car fast to justify to impracticality of missing 2 doors and a useless backseat.

Yes, a sedan.

And then a cheap beater truck because you can afford a truck and have a garage.

>ruining your wagon's interior
>stinking up the cabin
Yeah wagons! Fuck beds! You can only have...I mean you only need one vehicle! Citycucks are sad.

Not really if you're in the market for a Sedan. Sedans are fucking stupid. If you want something smaller a hatchback is probably better for most people.

It would be nice if there were some cheap wagons in North America. All you got to chose from are $60k luxury wagons. So you might as well get a truck at that point.

No, best for daily is tiny sports car for yourself and big ass luxury SUV like a Range Rover for the wife and kids or stuff.

Towed a 1 ton trailer (thats 1.000.000 mg (notice the not a comma)) in a citroen berlingo. I just drove carefully and drove with as much foresight as a board of directors. 75 metal stallions propelled the french craft to unfathomable speeds, nearly exceeding 80 kmh (thats about 2,3 (notice the comma) lightyears a 1.44M years). Then the trailer started to wobble and I slowed down.

All in all; a great experience. Very learningful. Gave me great respect for the citroen. A car that can tow something 70-80% of it's own mass.

Oh, and it's not my car. I just borrowed it the one time a year I happen to need to move something heavy.

wagons are for absolute turbofaggots and if you like them you have no place discussing cars and should kys immediatelly.
what the fuck do you think you're gonna carry in a wagon? other than more bags of your husband's dildos there literally nothing you can carry without looking like an absolute retard and have shit sticking out the back.
too small to move furniture,you're limited to one piece or a couple smaller pieces and at that point it gets stupid, just hire a truck to move that shit. stop kidding yourself. a wagon is not practical.
it's ugly as sin and retarded, just like you if you buy one.
>inb4 summer autismos trying to defend their poor life choices
>inb4 some faggot having a meltdown because I insulted his ratmobile

why the fuck cares. When a 50-ton semi and a 1.4 ton sports car have to abide the same speed limit, something is seriously wrong with the legal stuff.

>Do most people need anything other than a Nissan Leaf limited to 40mph? Also no.

what

Shooting brake.

I just looked up people living in car, like most wagon owners

I read the thread
Its mostly just wagon owners trying to justify owning them. So I guess the answer to my question was "because wagon owners are idiots".

only if rwd, bc more weight to throw around in the back

>looking to get a wagon for >10k w/a manual transmission
>cant find one ANYWHERE

i've only driven autos so far and don't have a problem with them but now that i want a manual and every gosh darn thing is auto and it's going to take me forever to find something

I love wagons, I love them a lot.

But if I'm moving scrap metal, there is no fucking way that's going in my wagon. That's going to be tossed straight into the protected box in my truck where I don't have to worry about any damage at all.

The ability to be able to throw whatever the fuck I want back there without any risk of damage is great.

A 4 door hatchback.

patrician choice

>barely any more ground clearance

Real SUVs have enough ground clearance to work under without jacking. Not that crossover shit.

I can get under my Legacy GT wagon to change the oil without jacking it up, you need less room than you think. It has 6.1" of ground clearance.

>owner's manual and registration both list this as a wagon.
Of course most people opt for the 2-door wagon...

>Mercedes-AMG, frankly, doesn’t care whether or not everyone “gets” the idea of a 603-hp station wagon.
>This time around, that engine is a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V-8 rated at 603 horsepower and 627 lb-ft of torque.
>all-wheel drive and AMG’s nine-speed automatic transmission, ... is claimed to punt the E63 S wagon to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds.
>The new wagon’s top speed is electronically limited to 180 mph, 6 mph faster than before.
caranddriver.com/news/2018-mercedes-amg-e63-s-wagon-photos-and-info-news

The term SUV was first coined in the mid-90s. Everything before then was just called a wagon.

You're absolutely right OP. Wagon is the most practical, fastback is the sexiest, hatch is a good compromise

I will never own a sedan as long as I live

I like them yes but you ain't picking up no women in a wagon.

Literally dated a girl who dropped a guy because she found out he drove a station wagon.

Just get pic related. You get an attractive car with much more utility than a standard sedan. Not as much utility as a wagon, but girls won't think you're a boring cucked husband who has given up on style and fun.

if she dropped him it wasn't because of the station wagon. only virgins and idiots think chicks drop people for their car. and if they actually did, they're garbage anyways.

No, that's literally why she dropped him. She was dead serious. Said it was a major matter of taste incompatibility. She wasn't a materialistic girl. Just a southern girl who liked reasonably stylish and masculine men. I was driving an accord coupe at the time and she was fine with it. Just didn't like dadmobiles I guess.

>V90 CC
>not crossover

Wagons are ugs desu senpai

replaced my 99 chrysler 300m with an 08 passat 2.0t
its breddy good pals

That depends on what you want from your car.
The high rear end will certainly compromise aerodynamics and center of gravity.

That said, it is indeed better than SUV and a good choice for most applications.
When it is FWD and has a trailing arm rear suspension it has a huge cargo capabilty and decent efficiency.

pic related as a longer wagon would be a nice commuter:
>same fuel consumption as hatch on highway (3,8L gas /100km advertised, but more like 3,5L/100km in real life)
>huge trunk
>can sleep more comfotably in car

R63 AMG. 500hp
If a car could be a milf then is this it?

I really miss my focus wagon now. Thanks op. It was a stick and I brought it back to life. Hell of a $400 car. Used to treat it like a truck and stuff it full of whatever. Sold it because the rockers were gone and the floors were next (lolnewengland)

A mini minivan.

>Inb4 no (you)s
Here you go buddy