/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Cavern editions
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X0dXyY-VFsA
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pressure
dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Official Dorf Fort theme song
youtube.com/watch?v=X0dXyY-VFsA

How do you do towers? Put the floor in the middle walls on the outside and then leave a hole for stairs?

Can you not build over floors or do you just use supports for that?

Reposting from previous thread.

in the init.whateveer file you edit the population cape. Just search it on google

d_init.txt

1) stairs on new level
2) floor over everything that was open space on the level below
3) walls in the farthest exterior corners
4) walls everywhere else
5) return to step 1 for the next level

Oh shit I think I misunderstood this stood this and the water keeps pouring in.

Put them to work or enlist them. Remember that you can pause whenever you want to make designations, queue up new jobs, set constructions to be done. Keeping a 100 pop fort busy enough shouldn't be a problem, you just need practice. Also, set a population cap.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pressure

#
Are you a baby-boomer? Do you hunt and peck like a computer illiterate retard?

No?

Then stop being a faggot and just start the fucking game. It's not going to kill you to open up the wiki and try out this FREE game for an hour or two. You're not going to catch autism just because you have to look at something you're not used to yet, and it only takes a few hours before you get used to it anyway. Think for yourself for christ's sake.

New to dwarf fortress, I'm about to start my second fort and I'm having difficulties.

I want a location that has river access, and a relatively large cliff face to dig my fort into. I want to go for a large 1 z level fort, or at least start with a lot of space on the same z level as the entrance.

However I can't move my embark space properly to include all these things since the Local map cuts off the important seconds I want to settle with.

I don't think there's a good answer. just look for another river junction

Huge dorf army

You may need a different river juncture, don't forget you can move/resize your embark location with umkh/UMKH

>tfw you accidentaly dump your whole gem stockpile in the volcano

Shem Machinestruggles the Crying Oranges of Gypsum, god of volcanos, lust, and family, accepts your sacrifice and will reward you with more fire imps

This is the best part of new people.

>uh, fuck, why is everything on fire?
>where did all these teeth come from?
>oh god do aquifers run out of water?

Gems for the gemgods.

>forgot i put a dumping zone in the ocean
>accidentally dump 3 silver ballista arrows

I would never play the ASCII either. Use a tileset and just play until you are used to the game. Its actually simple if you are ok with reading brief wiki tutorials

So using orthogonal tiles is the simple way to do it?

So I had a buncha dead gobbos come at me for a siege. Killed them even more dead, now the siege wont end. Ideas? I already tried rotting the bodies away with dfhack.

the only way to kill sauron

One of my Dwarves just went to the booze stockpile, stood on a barrel of booze for awhile, then died of dehydration. Both of his hands (among other body parts) bore scars. Did he lose the ability to even grasp a mug?

To control pressure? No, it's exactly the opposite. Orthogonal flows don't stop pressure at all. Orthogonal movement is what you're seeing in the posted screen shot. Diagonal flow does neutralize pressure.

Yes, it's a known bug. If you had forbidden all of your mugs he (and every other dwarf) would've just drank straight out of the barrel like in olden times.

whatever im taking the easy way out and dumping it into a cavern. that should work.

I like the mental image of a crippled dwarf with stubs for hands sitting in the food stockpile, grasping at a -microcline mug- in vain for a month and then dying

meanwhile sarvesh and his shithead wood burner cronies walk by every day, intentionally spill dwarven wine all over the floor and themselves themselves while drinking, laugh at him, and leave without helping

Someone light the Drew signal!

>You hear a distant grinding.
>A drawbridge has been lowered!
>You can hear screaming and it seems to be getting closer!
>A minecart with a burning goblin hurtles out of the tunnel across the recently lowered drawbridge
>skips across a pool of magma
>hits a carved ramp and hurtles into the air before smashing into a tree and setting both it and the nearby forest on fire

...hmmm, that was not the Drew signal, but I'm not pulling any more levers just yet.

Reading through the planned features to be added.
>Creation Myths and Magic Systems
>Magical landforms generalizing and/or replacing good-evil regions and the underworld
Does this mean stuff like geographically impossible landforms? Stuff like floating islands, rivers that flow from the ocean to the mountaintops, huge and abrupt cliff faces etc? Or just a less generic term for "good" and "evil" regions?

Why don't you ask Toady, he answers questions in the FotF thread

Maybe I will.

I think it's mostly the latter, I can't remember, but I remember him talking in a couple FotFs about how "good/evil" biomes were very much a placeholder for more complex mythgen stuff

but I'm sure that long-long-long-term, if he's serious about making it possible to manage worms living in an intestine, worldgen and terrain will need massive and procedurally generated overhauls

Fixed it. Literally just set the game to nopause, leave it for long enough and then it fucks off. About a year and a half after everything was dead.

>inb4 we get zones with reversed gravity and your dwarves fly into the sun upon embark

morganite

haha page 10 lmao

weeping

Hmmm, so I know:

[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER]
[SPOUSE_CONVERTER]
[BIOME:blah]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:foo:bar]
[ORIENTATION:Straight:as:fuck]
Plus a
[CONVERTED_SPOUSE] caste makes my critters abduct and imprison people.

I checked the raws from a generated one with gm-editor and I can't figure out why it gets RIGHT UP to the point of doing it but just stops there.

Anyone had success getting a creature variation based spouse converter working? That's all I can think of that's fucking it up.

how far from goblins do I have to be to get seiged? will I be if I settle in the red here

>companions drown themselves trying to kill a turtle in a river

why did I embark in a damn swamp. Fucking alligators.

Modanon posting my shit as usual for the thread

dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

Base cookie race is now done, moving on to making the different flavours of cookie people.

Could you post the whole creature file somewhere? I feel like your problem lies there.

That was such an awful shop man why did you save it ;-;

No one ever bumps with my good stuff.

as long as your on the same continent I believe you will get sieges.

Check the neighbours tab when you're picking your embark location. Whatever civs show up there will interact with your fort.

It tells you in the neighbors screen if you can get sieged or not yes?

Is there a way to check an equivalent of the neighbors tab after I've embarked?

You have to be within 30 world tiles for a civ other than your native civ to reach you, or 10 world tiles for a necromancer to reach you. Beasts can reach your fort from anywhere in the world.

Nope.

Though you could copy your save, retire the fort then check. Or if you haven't saved yet you could just alt-f4 out and skip making a copy.

Yes. "c" from the main screen

I'll get it sorted up later, it's spread across several spots due to how it works out.

like i give a heck

This kills fps.jpg

I don't know whether this is phoebus or ironhand, but honestly, it looks awful.

the engravings are confusing as fuck, and hard to tell apart from the actual in-game objects.

and what's up with those colours? that cyan really looks out of place.

why would it? Im not getting any lag

wrong, looks better than ASCII or whatever you use

IIRC one tile wide hallways tank fps because all of the pathing calculation.

Dont quote me on that though.

I mean, I'm not going blind from it so it is an improvement on the default in that regard

bogen den horgen.

But that only shows who I've already interacted with, right?

Is there a way to export and import manager orders? Or copy paste?

I am always setting up a lot of the same orders, like always 10 of each clothing, beds etc. Its kinda tiresome to set up every time I start a new fort.

>When you dig up toady's spaghettiraws for night creatures and notice all its flaws
to be honest i doubt he is even aware of how messy that shit is himself because its rather old stuff and its still completely functional

Is there a way to turn off hunger and thirst in adventure mode?
Its becoming an annoyance mainly the frozen water everywhere and no snow and ice

Become a vampire or modify raw files.

Nothings bigger than Texas

deal with it worldgeners

You can always climb a tree or something and jump out to break a few limbs and start bleeding. Then drink your own blood. Or smash some critter. I always keep some blood handy to throw on the ground as they are infinite pools as long as you don't move.

testing

fuck hiro

r8 my library.

here's the first floor.

and here's the second floor.

Cocaine guy here

Im getting crazy trying to contextualize some stuff I investigated
Is there any colombian/peruvian user which I could talk to?

I need to know how leaves much does a coca shrub yields and/or how much does a coca leaf weights

Modanon here, i suggest using wikipedia or something similar when it comes to stuff like that or just copying the values from something similar if you absolutely cant find any info.

Hows the mod coming along apart from your current problem?

How do I modify the raw files to do that?

I've never been able to drink blood it seems only splatters that don't help thirst

>thirst
Equip a quiver. Then fill it with booze whenever you pass by a tavern.

>hunger
Just kill a large animal every once in a while.

Also, there's an exploit that gives you infinite amounts of any liquid. Just pour what you have left of it on the ground (it can be as little as one unit), and then immediately fill your container with it again. Your container will fill up completely, regardless of how much you poured on the ground.

I have browsed everything mane, wikipedia, vice, youtube videos about cocaine making, etc.

I've already made the descriptions and doses for all
the types of cocaine(I'm gonna make degrees of quality with different effects, so you can cut the cocaine)
I know how much pure cocaine and cocaine paste you can get from 1kg of leaves, and I know how coca harvesting works, but I need to know the production of coca shrubs and how many leaves make a kilogram

>generate world
>years from 100 to 500 go super slow
>starts speeding up after 500 until it reaches its cap at 700 and keeps going at nearly the same speed until the end

What happened?

fewer events, maybe due to a temporary decline in hist fig numbers.

It can be a bit tricky, blood that is splattered on something does not work, it needs to be a fresh pool of blod. You get them, say, when an arm is chopped of. The pools dissapear rather fast tough, so don't move at all when something start bleeding, just stop moving a pluck up that pool of blood on the ground and put it in your water bag.

bump my mans

why is this thread so fucking slow now, holy shit

A bunch of notifications just popped up informing people taking new positions (queen, baron, etc)
Why did it all happen at once though? I'm wondering what could have killed two barons and a monarch at the same time.
Still, it's cool to now have three barons and a queen in my fort.

I don't think it's because they all died at the same time, it's just something to do with how DF handles the succession. I've had that happen a few times too, 5-6 people becoming barons at the same time. I assume those positions were vacant for a while, maybe even before embarking

Ah ok, I thought some disaster struck that wiped out a bunch of forts.
I've only ever had the monarch arrive, should my fort convert into the mountainhome at some point? Will the nobility leave to take up their respective positions?

no, I think they'll all stay. not sure about the mountainhome thing, I assume it would follow the usual process, ie. needing 140 dwarves and X exported wealth/gifts or whatever it is these days.
but more immediately you'll just need to revamp your fort so you have nice rooms for them

>haulers
>military
>have backup dorfs for every occupation, you dont want your only brewer or armorsmith dying and then getting fucked over cuz of it
You should be happy to receive immigrants up until about 200 dorfs. You need every pair of hands you can if you're running a proper fort. If you're "operating on 30 dorfs" you're honestly doing something wrong.

kek

Yeah, sometimes the siege tag gets bugged and stuck, it usually clears itself up after "a while" but that also means that you get no caravans or visitors while the tag is still stuck so waiting it out can be kinda boring and shitty.

Right, it won't show any civs that you haven't interacted yet. Best option is, like others have said, to make a duplicate save, retire fortress, and check the location on the embark screen again.

Oh god, just imagining trying to navigate that as an adventurer in a populated fortress makes me cringe.

They do, once you get a lot of dwarves using it then it destroys FPS.

Additionally, one dwarf/creature will have to crawl on the ground for 2 creatures to pass each other on the same floor tile as well which is VERY fucking annoying as an adventurer because not only is the game running slow as fuck, you're constantly having to stand back up after passing dwarves, cats, donkeys, etc and crawling reduces your movement speed by 1/2.

I was checking out some succession forts on the bay12 forums and saw one guy set up a bunch of automated orders that would produce more shit when the number of those items in the stockpiles were depleted and stop once there were a certain number of those items in the stockpiles. I haven't really looked into how to do it but it looked pretty nifty.

It's a holiday weekend here in burgerland, people are probably doing shit with their families and friends instead of playing DF and shitposting on Veeky Forums. Or maybe they're all just hungover and still asleep.

Wait which holiday, what day is this?

>they're all just hungover and still asleep.
so? I just went partying yesterday with my friends, and here I am, delivering my shitposting duty
You guys really need to take more responsability in this
>/dfg/ needs you to shitpost for Toady

For a newer player it can be quite overwhelming to try and get a lot of the various industries up and running all at once and quickly enough to utilize all of your migrants. A self-sustaining fortress producing plenty of food/booze, furniture, and some trade goods is easily doable with 30 dwarves and that's what I usually shot for when I was a newb. It took me quite a while to get the hang of setting up shit like a metalworking industry, the military, textiles, etc.

It's Memorial Day weekend user, time to kick off the summer by drinking copious amounts of alcohol and eating lots of grilled meats, maybe even go hang out on the lake or something. (I have a boat but refuse to be on the lake during any of the big summer holidays because it's so crowded and there are tons of drunk retards flying around the lake making it kinda dangerous).

Do my starting tools and shit eventually break?

What do I need to make more tools?

>Do my starting tools and shit eventually break?
no, but you'll want more of them as your fortress grows.

>What do I need to make more tools?
weapon-grade metal, that is, copper, bronze, iron or steel.

Tools don't break due to use, they're good basically forever. Weapons and armor eventually break due to combat and regular clothing becomes tattered and useless over time requiring you to make extra clothes for your dwarves eventually.