Long story short

Long story short
I need to patch up the paint where 2 panels have been rubbing and left a to the metal hole in my paint

Long story
I have a ute and added a secondhand hardcover, didnt think to check the waterproofing and turns out both the front corners of the hardlid have been scraping on the body and left 2 scrapes about 2mmx15mm (1/8"x1"?)
I fixed the waterproofing yesterday and now it clears with ease... But now besides the issue of future rust, the hardcover no longer covers my idiot scratches

I need to know how to repair the paint so it looks okay (still a slightly hidden area) but more importantly protects from rusting as the side of a ute is one massive panel and is very expensive to fix

>ute in question

Ill get a photo of the marks when I leave in about 20 minutes

Are you the lad that bought the thunder sight unseen? Good to see you're still kicking around on here.

Yeah slowly repairing things and breaking other things

I'm sad that Americans invented these fucking things and they don't sell them domestically any more.

Australians invented these fucking things.
you think the el camino was the first ute or something? they have been a thing in Australia since the mid 1930's.

That's wrong though.

The FJ holden is the most iconic Australian car and it was designed in Canada.

The worlds' first "Closed Cab" Pickup truck was developed by Henry Ford in 1928, and whilst the Ford Model A (1927–1931) Roadster Pickup was produced in the United States from 6 years earlier, Ford is claimed to be the first company to produce an Australian "ute".

It's not wrong though ford made the ute because some old farmers wife wrote them a letter saying "Can you build me a vehicle that we can use to go to church in on Sunday, without getting wet, and that my husband can use to take the pigs to market on Monday?"

and also no, the FJ was based off the 48-215 and produced in Australia.

Produced in Australia and designed in Canada.

And you are wrong again, the 48-215 was designed by chevrolet but never sold in America because it was considered too small for Americans.

We just say we invented the ute though because we lack culture and cling to whatever identity we can find from the scraps of American consumerism and globalisation.

Look it up.

this really makes my dong go up

Okay I can find the article at the moment but the FJ was designed by an American when in Canada.

Aussies don't want to admit this because it's hard for us to acknowledge.

>Americans being this desperate for attention
just accept the fact that the ute was designed by ford Australia in the 1930's

Tell me this isn't a ute right here.

Stop WE WUZing.

The FX was the predecessor to the FJ. And the FX was also 15 years after the first coupe utility was produced and marketed, the idea of which was spawned in upside down convict land.
>t. Expat American living in Ausfag land

It's a pickup truck. Pickup=!Ute
Infact the Model A pickup truck was being sold, and continued to be sold along side the Model A Ute once it was spawned.

doesn't have a hard top roof so no, it's not a ute.

Case in point, a Model A pickup; And a Model A Ute;

How is it not a ute?

It's a car but with a tray on the back.

By that logic a holden one toner is not a ute.

Ute = utility coupe
It is a 2 seater based on a sedan chassis with a tray in the back
A pickup is based off an SUV

The defining factor of a ute in the traditional "coupe utility" sense is a singular bed/cabin body. He sets the difference between and Another example of utes and pickups co-existing I'm a single model run are the HQ-WB Holdens. Although the pickup option was simply marketed as a "1 Tonne" as the term pickup didn't have much relevance in Australia. Aus always referred to them as "cab-chassis".

Although these days the term "ute" is often misused to incorrectly label pickups as such. Another fun fact, the Falcon Ute hasn't technically been a ute since the XH.

It isn't, and was never marketed as one. The was literally the Holden Ute sold along side it.

But many utes have a different chassis to the sedan version so they can carrying more stuff.

This.
Going back to the Holden HQ-WB as am example, the Sedan and Wagon was a monocoque frame where the Ute, 1 Tonne and Panel Van were a BOF ladder bar chassis.

None the less, OP here
this is my fuckup
Top bit doesnt matter, thats the sailplane which the paint is fucked any way
But the tray I need to protect

When Laurence Hartnett (pommy bloke) applied for the first locally designed Holden built entirely in Australia, he requested that they use the design his local team made up, which had the wheel arches and the rest of the body all as one.
GM in America didn't like the idea ('separated' wheel arches were popular at the time) and sent down American designers to Australia who designed it, so the first entirely locally produced Holdens were designed in Australia... by Americans.

Laurence Hartnett pissed off shortly after this in 1950 and didn't even get to see the royal ceremony for the car he commissioned to be built, despite pretty much being the father of what Holden is today.

Does this mean that all the older guys born in the 70's and earlier who get triggered by dude bros with lowered hilux's and rodeos calling their vehicles minitrucks instead of utes are actually the ones that are wrong the whole time?

Smear on a heavy coat of bitumen as a temporary fix.

Yes. they are a cab chassis.

That's correct, they would be wrong and not really know what they're talking about. Having said all of that, I'll admit I often refer to previously mentioned "cab-chassis" and "pickups" (like Hiluxs, Landcruisers and 1 Tonne Holdens) as utes, because it's a simple term that most people know what you're talking about. But I'll happily correct someone when they try to claim a Hilux is a ute and not a truck.
I guess you could say the term has evolved through misunderstanding.

>Work on building site
>Young dude bro apprentice
>I left the tool in my minitruck
(hilux with torsion bars wound down

>Older guy gets triggered
>IT'S A UTE!
>Do you live in America
>Call it a ute
>We live in Australia mate
>Young kids are becoming so American

This actually happens a lot.

I know... But then if that older bloke's dad was within earshot, he would probably clip him under the ear and tell him that a ute is a completely different thing.

I've got some paint damage to my red VZ, would also like to know how to fix the paint before the metal gets fucked.

>tfw hit a white reflective marker while driving at 12kmh on a foggy night on a twisty Mt Lofty road in the Adelaide Hills
I still cringe at the memory.

I heard it before I saw it, it was that foggy. From the looks of things it went under the wheel and then sprang back up and gouged the rear passenger side door.

Sorry about the thread falling off topic. I'd probably rub the damage with an 800g wet-dry sand paper. Spray it with a primer (or primer filler if there's metal imperfections), sand the primer with an overlap again with an 800ish paper. I'd personally go to a panel&paint shop and have them make up a spray can matched to your paint, spray it with an overlap, and finish it with an even finer 1200-1500g wet-dry paper blending it into the existing paint. Take your time and it should yield a pretty good result.

How is the falcon ute not a ute you mong

Did you actually read the post you replied to? That's why you fucking mong.

>always chuckle when I see guys on JDM FB pages want to swap their hilux monstrosities for a 15k Jap car.

This. As annoying as buy/sell 4x4 pages.
>see mint late model turbo diesel Patrol/Landcruiser
>“swaps for my 2003 VY V6 auto Commodore?"

What's this fukken autistic shit these are all utes. Nobody calls anything a cab-chassis. Truck or mini truck is just brain dead retarded American shit

>brain dead
Kind of an ironic accusation from someone typing like they're having a stroke.

cunts swap their patrols for vy ss commodores all the time though.

Maybe an imacculate SS for a Patrol that's been ragged on (every Patrol that's had at least two owners). Not a V6 acclaim with an aftermarket stereo.

Because it's a cab chassis.