Fucking audi

>60 grand
>can't afford another inch of engine bay

You're supposed to remove the front end.

>creating hours of work when you don't have to.
Commie detected. Besides, that's only on models with a viscous fan, you can just about do it on models with electric.

The front end can be moved forward by around an inch funnily enough, buts its a fair bit of work.

That engine bay was meant for a 2.0 turbo diesel I suppose

Try designing modern car that is easy to work on and meets all safety standards. You'll end up with 5 foot long hood for I4 engine...

It's the same team of engineers that thought it was a good idea to put pic related on the back of the engine, and use cheap VAG plastic for the tensioners and chain guides.

Are you really surprised?

And it needs to be as cheap as possible and as easy to manufacture as possible, needs to survive it's first owner, and whole R&D must be as cheap as possible.

Also as low mass as possible, nice aero, and mpg and whatever alse CEO wants in his product.

(sorry for spaming it in few posts)

>having wasted space like cheap american cars

go home

Why not a basic bitch 911 style RR engine? Smart has it, the new renault twingo, which is developed together with smart, also has it

Yet, Ford, BMW, Fiat and all the Japanese brands manage to do these things.

>not wanting space to make work easier, faster, better and cheaper for everyone
Just because your life sucks does not mean the rest of ours have to, user

>modern BMW
>easy to work on

>BMW
Not even going to dignify that.
>Fiat
>The company who shoehorned their Iveco truck divisions diesel engines into their hatchbacks
They were a real pleasure to work on.
>Japs
Are ok. If they're JDM small engined petrols. The Euro typical diesels are an absolute pig to work on. The older 2.0 diesel Rav-4 is one of the worse timing belts out there.

>The older 2.0 diesel Rav-4 is one of the worse timing belts out there
Not to mention that the flywheel fails precisely every 80k km.
Apart from that mine has 200k km and I regularly use the same 20w40 engine oil that I use in my tractor

>Fiat
>They were a real pleasure to work on.
Absolutely

Changing serpentine belt on my SAAB took me 5-7 minutes from start to finish.

>70s car
>front tires way too close to cab, terrible engine overhang
>60/40 weight split
>good enough room to work on engine
>2 foot void wasted between radiator support and grille/bumper mounts

It's because of how their front transaxle is set up. And everybody shits on Subaru for using boxer 4s for some reason...

If they would have left more room, someone would be asking 'Why not cram in more engine?'

>friend bought an Audi TT MK 1
>no room in engine bay
>have to remove front end to get to oil filter
>sump gasket is fucked
>coolant hoses leaking
>can only use special coolant from VW
>power steering leaking
>transmission slipping and badly grabbing, feels like getting hit with a sledgehammer
>transmission quoted at $13,000
>fuel gauge broken
>indicator stalk wires crossed somehow and now the warning beep for overheating beeps when turning
>also overheats if going slower than 20mph
>drivers side airbags dont work
>CV joints split

So why do people buy Audi's exactly? Are they masochists?

But the short deck long fender design looked amazing.

My Audi i don't take the front off, I loosen bolts to wiggle it, gives me enough room to replace the tensioner, real tight space but i love the car so it's worth it

But But but..high performance engine. Agreed. Porsche is the same. Most anything FWD is a bitch to wrench on even basic shit. RWD and enough room for at least a whole arm with the fan shroud removed is almost a must for me. Engine bays aren't fun like they used to be.

Really though they expect you to take it to an Audi shop to fix it because they have the training

>hours of work
It's literally 15 minutes of work if you're not retarded. If it's too much for you, just don't do it and stick to something easier.

$15k timing chain replacement every 100k miles btw lol

Feels good

>an audi timing belt is literally 15 minutes
Kek I actually did it in fourteen. What are you, fucking handicapped or something? Hands too fat?

Step one of repairing any eurofag car is "remove the front of the fucking car"

Honestly, dont buy used VAG or pretty much ANY used european cars if you can not afford them new.

Just the way it is, they are much more expensive to repair. Especially if you buy the higher end models now that have severely depreciated. Any major repair essentially totals the car. Thats why the cars are so fuckin cheap.

a new trans and labor for my explorer was $1700. Buy what you can afford to repair.

I work on VAG cars for a living and don't get why its such a bad thing to remove the front end? Takes about 15 minutes once you know where all the fasteners are and gives you much better access compared to some shitbox with only 2-3" between the engine and radiator.

>have to remove front end to get to oil filter

You and your "friend" are fucking retarded, you access it from below, its a 76mm cup socket. Its literally right behind the cooling fans, black plastic cylinder housing, impossible to miss.

Also don't lie, you have no friends.

I cannot stress this enough when people are buying used, thinking they get a good deal.
Have fun sending that 10y/o 7 series every two months to an authorised shop for 500€ oil changes, 2-3k turbo repairs and a million of other things.

The upkeep on "german premium" brands is insane, especially if the previous owner saw the prices and said "fuck it" and ran the thing to the ground.

Fuggen lel, fifteen years and I still love Veeky Forums

>can only use special coolant from VW

Wrong, thats like saying you can also use oil from VW's quantum brand. All you need is coolant that meets VW's spec, which is about £12 for 5L ready mixed, or £20 for 5L of concentrate. Same with all other fluids.

>>transmission slipping and badly grabbing, feels like getting hit with a sledgehammer

That'll be the dual mass flywheel, all of them eventually go but they're easy to replace with a lift. You definitely don't need a new transmission and anyone saying so is just trying to con you.

>sump gasket is fucked

There is no sump gasket its all RTV, it'll eventually break down unfortunately. Again relatively easy fix with a lift or decent jack + stands.

Honestly i don't know who the fuck you took the car too but if they're VW approved i would report them to VW for talking absolute shit, they take stuff like that quite seriously believe it or not.

P.s "Friend"? Fucking kek don't try and cover up the fact that you've bought a shit car with problems.

I have one of these cars. It's a great car, I just fear driving it. I keep expecting it to fail and eat my engine.

Is this true, I got my belt replaced at 105K, and they wanted me to replace it again 20K later saying it had been "badly worn" despite only being a 1/5th into its supposed lifespan.

New german cars are like apple products, the moment the warranty expires is the moment they attempt to commit suicide or become widely impractical to maintain. That's why most people swap them once the warranty is up or lease them now.

Yes it's my friends car and he took it to an Audi dealer, hence where the quote I posted comes from.

I know dealerships fuck people over but Audi is the fucking king.