/emugen/ Emulation general

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/p1pkin/demul/issues/356#issuecomment-304474933
tcrf.net/Game_Boy_Color_Bootstrap_ROM
sourceforge.net/projects/mednafen/files/?source=navbar
google.com/search?q=catherine rpcs3&tbm=vid&tbs=qdr:m
github.com/libretro/mgba/pull/61
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/5313
cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html
wccftech.com/amd-takes-meaningful-cpu-market-share-intel-first-time-3-years/
marketrealist.com/2017/05/amd-challenges-intel-market-share/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PICA200
github.com/citra-emu/citra/graphs/contributors?from=2016-05-28&to=2017-05-28&type=c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First + WHERE IS MY FUCKING TEKNOPARROT 0.5 ?

Second for SP must pay for his crimes.

Decaf is shit.
Deal with it.

Hey if I mess with the priority of an emulator in the task manager, setting it high priority or higher, will I get a boost in FPS? Because for my shitty CPU I sometimes need to do it for games running natively

Might see a minor increase if you're running a bunch of background tasks at the same time.

When will the mednafen Saturn core get save states?

How does the GBC colorize GB games? And what emulator do I need to replicate this effect?

github.com/p1pkin/demul/issues/356#issuecomment-304474933

Why does pipkin get blamed, when he's not the one against open sourcing Demul? I seen other devs flame him..

The bootstrap that runs when your turn the system on can detect certain titles and fill out the palettes.

Any decent emulator should either support it.

Also, check out this to learn more:
tcrf.net/Game_Boy_Color_Bootstrap_ROM

Likely the same way the Game Boy Color does it. Any emulator that supports running Game Boy games in GBC mode (most all of them) should allow it.

You can even use a few preset palettes using different button combos on boot. Pic related shows all of them.

So what? Don't use it, is that simple

>if you don't like someone just don't use it

Fuck you shill.

>>How does the [Game Boy Color] colorize GB games?
>Likely the same way the Game Boy Color does it
Very informative post

Read again user, I'm talking about the emulator, not the dev. Don't like it? Don't use it

>Don't like it? Don't use it
The shilling never ends.

How well does Catherine emulate on RPCS3?

Where can I see the changes in the code of Mednafen ? They use GitHub or some kind of similar service ?

I can run it perfectly on my RPi Zero, so I'd say pretty well.

Source is hosted on sourceforge:
sourceforge.net/projects/mednafen/files/?source=navbar

google.com/search?q=catherine rpcs3&tbm=vid&tbs=qdr:m

When will they release a raspberry pi with at least 2.0 GHz?

They already have, it's called the Odroid.

>linux
>direct x
u wot

RPCS3 has support to Direct3D12, OpenGL and Vulkan

Cool! Thanks

Black people aren't human.

Is there an RSS feed for cemu? Tried checking their websites sourcecode for a hidden one, but nothing came up.

Dolphin just got a new audio backend that's supposed to be better than all the other ones.

Is this for real? That thing appears to cost 25$. How can it run PS3 games?

I can barely run PS2 games. On like a real computer.

He's shitposting.

pi zero uses risc instead of cisc for pcs

That explains everything.

It's a lot smaller and lighter so the cpu doesn't have to work as hard.
All the games are on a micro-sd which is tiny which is why you get more giggityflops per terrybite.

man I really wanted to play it but I have an old cpu so I can't

>muh SSSE3

bump

Why were these games so good? It doesn't make any sense.

Camelot just knew how to make good games.

Cemu 1.8.0 no longer has flickering/graphical issues when doing certain divine beast dungeons in BotW.
You will get crashes when attempting to activate the boss terminals though. This can be avoided by mashing X and pressing + to skip the cutscene (you won't miss much, it's just for the boss appearing).

The entire game is playable now, any roadblocks you encounter have a solution or workaround.

Is there a hack or geckode for Skyward Sword to cut all the bullshit out of the game

Cheat Engine

github.com/libretro/mgba/pull/61

bounty to get link cable working on this shit when?

russkie got BTFO'd by redream anyway
let's bury demul and forget it ever existed

I still don't understand the point to making something closed source if you're not profiting from it anyway.
This.

Point-sampled N64 games look crispy as hell dudes, why did they smear blurro-vision all over their games?

Can you post some comparison screenshots, or direct us to a youtube video or something to show us.

Is redream good now?

im surprised they got the voice actors back for this.

i do enjoy niles telling me to smash open boxes

bump

I just upgraded my CPU to an AMD FX-8350. I couldn't emulate any PS2 or Gamecube games at a playable framerate with my old processor. Will that have changed now? Would any emulator even properly take advantage of all 8 cores?
If I can run them well, what PS2/GC games should I emulate?

Wish I had an answer for you, but I have no knowledge on AMD processors.
All I can say is that my i5 2500k and GTX 1060 can emulate Wii U pretty damn fine.

I don't think youll have issues with it. I emulate PS2 and GC on a Phenom II. If you want to do some benchmark, try playing MGS3, Jak and Daxter games or even Ratchet and Clank for ps2. As for GC, the Rogue Squadron series is known for being very CPU heavy.

>AMD
You fucked up bigtime, most emulators only use one core lol

>russkie got BTFO'd by redream anyway
>let's bury demul and forget it ever existed
It's too soon to call it a victory. I looked at the source and am not impressed. It uses OpenGL and SDL, which are both garbage. I guess I would use NullDC's code if I were to ever do DC emulation development.

>I still don't understand the point to making something closed source if you're not profiting from it anyway.
I can't honestly say the reason is always justified, but sometimes I can understand why someone would want to close source their work. One may be less inclined to open source, if they never received the help they wanted. Not sure what the Demul developers' reason is for not open sourcing though. I wish it was open source, since I hear it's the most accurate and compatible DC emulator.

It was open source but no one cared. They closed it and now everyone cares.

BTW, OS fascists could improve that open source version of Demul, but no, that would means work. Open source autism.

Bump.

github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/5313
>The main idea of this PR is to get rid of PortAudio (yuck) and get a cubeb backend running (WASAPI support, PulseAudio input on Unix (if you don't like PulseAudio, bluetooth microphones?), more testing, etc).

Wasn't MAMEdev bragging about how PortAudio gave them super low latency?

>OpenGL
>garbage
lol

What issues are there with BotW at this point? I have no interest in getting a Switch at this point but I really want to play it.

I heard Pokemon Sun and Moon are running decently on Citra now.

Have I been bullshitted?

Ryzen wouldn't be that bad at all since its IPC is much higher than the FX series, close to Haswell/Broadwell, while being very light on power draw.

I expected more than we got with Ryzen. I expected intel to shit it and bring out something out of that jew vault they keep all their real strides in. But all we got was a price drop.
Why can't AMD be good again?

It's been fully playable for quite a while now.
But there's a tonne of graphical bugs, stutters and crashing.
If you're desperate it's worth a shot.

Will upgrading GPU from a 960 to a 1070 improve CEMU performance in Breath of the Wild

> I looked at the source and am not impressed.

For som reasone, I doubt you will ever got 'impressed' by someone's code beside yours...

Download the latest Bleeding Edge Build and give it a try, then come and tell us how that went.

IPC is the thing they should focus for Ryzen+ while slightly improving on everything else, if they can reach Skylake/Kaby Lake levels by the time Coffee Lake comes, considering everything, AMD will get a lot more of love than they got with Ryzen, I'm sure.

No. GPU handles the graphical aspects of the game, emulators drink of your CPU's Single Core Performance.

>I heard Pokemon Sun and Moon are running decently on Citra now.
no

>"""Fully playable"""
>Proceeds to list off tons of problems with it.

Intel is slashing prices, and in games (not emulation), the Ryzen 5 is doing better than i5 7600K, plus no stuttering, plus how it is superior in any multithreaded applications making it an overall superior CPU to a i5 7600K, high end emulation being a fringe case where ab 7600K does better. Ryzen was a pretty good surprise compared to AMD's last 5 or so attempts at making a good CPU architecture.

How goes the progress for PS3 and xbox 360 emulation?

What this guy said
What kind of CPU are you using? And do you overclock it?

unironically check back in about 10 years and we should have working emulators by then

I think you misunderstood me.
If AMD can make intel shit the bed so much, they will push forward with the tech. We know they sit on new bleeding edge stuff for years because they are lazy. Slashing prices is not enough. Look at the market share intel have. 79.60% vs 20.40% acording to this:
cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html
They have 0 reason to bring out anything other than
>15% improvment over skylake
For the rest of time till AMD pulls some back. intel have 0 reason to do anything with this much dominace over the market.
I don't care about fanboying for eather side i just by the best at that moment.

"rpcs3" and "xenia" on Youtube filtered by Upload Date.

If Gregory wasn't an Nvidia shill and used Vulkan or D3D instead of OpenGL, then PCSX2's Hardware Renderer would be more useful for non-Nvidia users.

It gets old hearing emudevs always default to blaming drivers / hardware for any problems with their OpenGL renderer. They should either get good with OpenGL programming or using a different API..

>My computer can't run it so it's the developers' fault!
t. AMD loyalist

I don't think Ryzen is doing that badly
wccftech.com/amd-takes-meaningful-cpu-market-share-intel-first-time-3-years/
marketrealist.com/2017/05/amd-challenges-intel-market-share/
Intel was already doing some moves to counteract Ryzen before it even hit the market, like the i3 7350K and giving hyperthreading capability to the Pentium line of CPUs.

Ryzen approaching Intel's best stuff in IPC is a huge step forward, in comparison the FX 8350 and similar were power hogs that had very weak cores, now they have 65W chips that are doing much better in single threaded applications, the gain of IPC was around 50%.

>>I don't think Ryzen is doing that badly
True but it is not the intel killer we wanted right?
Oh and a 2.30% rise is good, But i don't think intel are quaking in their boots at all about it. Intel have a habbit of letting there share rise a small amount and then crushing them another 15% as a show of force.
If anti-trust laws did not exist Intel would have been the only way to get CPUs at all.

I try to play Advance Wars 2 with VBA link 1.80 over Tunngle with another dude; everytime we try to connect, we either can't find each other or the game slows down to 12%. A few years ago it worked flawlessy, am I a retard or did I do something wrong?

Since the pcsx2 wiki is down, here is a note for posterity for SMT Nocturne
The game needs hardware depth enabled and blending set to high for proper effects. This pretty much means that the DX11 renderer is not worth using for it as the depth hack has been removed from it.

I've been having a bar of screen tearing near the top of my screen on PPSSPP, anybody else experience something like this? None of the settings I've tested seem to affect it at all, and it happens on every game. It seems to come and go too, and the only thing I could seem to do to make it go away was restart my PC, and then it was back when I opened it up a couple hours later. I feel like I'm going nuts because I can't pin down what's causing it.

He does have a point though, wouldn't Vulkan be more convenient for everyone? For Dolphin their Vulkan Renderer even boosts performance, supposedly.

But user then they would lose their scapegoat,for why their emulator is shit.

how is opengl a scapegoat for pcsx2?

When in doubt blame AMD.

trying to update my retroarch 1.2.2 to 1.5.0 and having problems. everything looks good, directories check out, i have bios files. but when i try to load a core it doesn't work. it wont work if i use my old version of the cores or if i download the newest version i always get "failed to load libretro core".

>Citra still running off only one core
Quality devs

You can't expect people to just drop everything and re-write the graphical code for emulators overnight. Vulkan came out very recently and got decent support by vendors even more recently.

Amiibo don't work properly, some graphical glitches, some audio glitches and some crashing amongst shadercache generation stutter.
Completely playable, but worth waiting until it gets more stable.

Maybe if you weren't so bad at using emulators you could make it run on more than one core

Without shitposting, can someone explain how the Cemu devs got a more graphically demanding, newer console running near perfectly for many games, when the considerably older, more simplistically graphically 3DS Citra team can barely manage to make games run above 12 FPS

Is there a good, justifiable reason? Or is it just a case of superior devs?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PICA200

> I don't know how tech works and still post on tech threads...
Get out, educate yourself, and come back to post something useful

I asked if there was a reason.
Posted that reason.

Now I understand.

Golly gee, user. It's almost like your post was pointless, late and not useful at all.

Had a bad day?

>...

Reddit leave

if it runs fine on nvidia who else could it be?

Bad coding from devs who talk a lot of shit but don't have the skills to back it up.

yeah amd devs lmao

CEmu makes gobbiddytots of money on Patreon, so let's assume they have 2 people working on it full-time. That's 40 hours/week * 2 people = 80 man-hours/week.

Citra contributor stats for the last 1 year: github.com/citra-emu/citra/graphs/contributors?from=2016-05-28&to=2017-05-28&type=c

There are a few somewhat active contributors, but they're quite sporadic in activity with some entire months without even touching it. Let's average that as count that as 15 hours/week for the top 2 and 5 hours/week for the next 4: 50 hours/week.

That aside: The 3DS isn't any less complex than the Wii U in terms of system software. They're both custom-designed OSes different from anything else. The 3DS in fact tends to use more custom formats by Nintendo than the WiiU does.

Add to that that the 3DS GPU, while very weak, has a lot of built-in features not really found in any standard GPU, which have to be reverse engineered and implemented with their own quirks.

But hey I'm sure if citra stole SDK docs like cemu does then they'd also be running at 999 fps with 100% compatibility right now :^)

If we made Reddit leave then this general would have nothing to talk about as we just post Reddit threads all the time.
Would this general give up all that jucy byuu and SP drama don't think so.
Plus half the links in the Emugen wiki are links to reddit as well.
So reddit get's to stay. Deal with it.