Drift or Speed?

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm at an impasse, and really not sure where to go from here. On one hand, I have my cheap 3k budget that I can use on a cheap FWD and then mod the shit out of to make it fast as hell. On the other hand, drifting and the fun of RWD, but going with this, I would likely have to keep it stock (at least for a while) due to the increase in price. So what do I go with Veeky Forums? Maybe times are what matters in the end but is it better to buy cheap and go all out sooner or buy something to be modded in the long run?

If your budget is 3k you can't afford the tires for drift

Stop being poor

If you've only got 3K your priority should be saving, not drift/grip debate.

Also that's a powerslide.

>whynotbothmexicangirl.jpg

>he thinks he can mod a FWD shitbox to be fast for 3k total

A worthwhile engine swap will cost 2k-4k and throwing a turbo on it is another 1k-3k depending on the specifics and not accounting for any of the labor and expensive supporting mods and tune that needs to happen.

You're not getting an actually fast car until you throw down anywhere from 5k-10k and it's infinitely easier to just purchase a fast car rather than make one fast.

Does it snow where you live? If so you probably don't want a lightweight RWD as your only car in the winter, unless this is a second vehicle.

Personally I'd go with drifting, because street racing isn't hardly a thing where I live, and I'm not that into drag racing.

It does snow, no not a second vehicle unfortunately, but in the same situation with you where street racing is nonexistent and I'm not into drag racing

>street racing isn't hardly a thing where I live
perfect chance to make it a thing and an easy opportunity to be the fastest in your area

When I say street racing isn't a thing, I mean I haven't found a random person willing to race in like a year. Being the fastest around feels surprisingly empty when it's only because no one else is willing to try.

It snows here too. I'd recommend a FWD then for the time being. A lightweight FWD can still be fun around corners imo, and if you buy winter tires it'll probably be fine in the snow still.

Yeah I live in truckerfuck land and the only person who's car savvy has a 60's Mustang I believe. Him and I keep in contact.

I've been looking for a first car, and am gonna get either fwd or awd because of the snow, and I don't want a decent rwd car I like to rust even more (or maybe be in a wreck).
You can still flick them, and slide on ice too which might even help with drifting since you can't powerslide them like rwd.

>so you probably don't want a lightweight RWD as your only car in the winter
pffft wannabe pussy ass faggot americans can only drag race and jerk over horespower but when it dorops below zero they're afraid of driving.
Dumb pussy ass bitches.
Here in europe we get 3ft of snow every other year and people daily their sw20's in the winter.
Learn to drive.

>saying here in europe like everyone gets finland winters

You can make a pretty peppy fucking car from ebay kits mang.
It's been done before
And it's been myth busted that cheap eBay turbos work fairly well for the price

Now is it gonna be as fast as a fucking track race car? Probably not but it certainly will be pretty quick at least driving around town in

But OP can get some RWD Cars for the same price like a cheap SN95 mustang
Foxbodies have risen in price but Sn95's can be found for cheap still since they're not as popular as the fox, even the GT is cheap
OP could get one and do some light performance mods or find one with a few installed and just throw on some wide fender flares to make it look nicer/cooler since the Sn95's are kinda boring and ugly stock
>But something like pic related would be cool as fuck to hoon around town in, just need to widen the wheels as well so it's flush with the fender flare

Grip is usually much faster, but a slight amount of oversteer can make you much faster than everyone else you would be competing against, that is, if you can control it.

If you are asking this question, you can't control a really narrow slip angle.

So in the end is it really that low qual RWD beats faster FWD?

Grip is also faster when your tires have to survive for a long time, which is basically all professional races ever since they're endurance races.

it's like you've never watched initial d

only 21 episodes in sorry senpai

It takes a driver like Tsuchiya to beat a much faster FWD car with a slow RWD car, such as an 86.

But unless you are a fantastic driver with at least 500 hours of performance driving experience, the faster FWD will crush the slow RWD.