What's the biggest fuckup you have done recently?

What's the biggest fuckup you have done recently?

I lost my pressurized radiator cap inside my overheated engine when I went to put water in the reserve, and I burned my thumb.

>What's the biggest fuckup

Thinking I'd amount to anything when I got older

Battery fried some of the electricals, but that shoild be more attributed to flawed design.

Biggest:
I broke the Pittman arm in my truck, and thought it would be cool to weld it back together. Then I thought it was a good idea to go on a 600 mile road trip. luckily it broke in a parking lot and not the highway.

Most recent:
I bought a new alternator because i thought the old one was broken. Turns out I hd somehow disconnected it.

i dont fuck up

>What's the biggest fuckup you have done recently?
Come back to Veeky Forums

I presume the pitman arm was made of cast iron. It's a brittle material and not so easy to weld. Did you preheat it and weld it with a stick welder as you're supposed to?

Plastidipping my roof with cans.

You WILL get overlaps no matter how you do it. So don't.

Drove with my radiator cap off. Figured I was low on coolant. Popped hood, saw cap wedged between grill and battery. Engine bay covered in coolant.

>mfw

Annnnnnnnd forgot pic

a decade as a mechanic led to me about a thousand major fuckups.

one of my better ones from a long time ago in my late teens was i had a old Datsun pickup, changed the oil and forgot to put the oil cap on somehow. timing chain on Z24 engines is right under the oil cap hole

drove about 2km, parked, couldnt figure out why there was oil coming from the grille and everywhere. nice big mess

Bought the wrong sensor because i chose the wrong model of civic when searching for it.

120$ wasted.

I thought these were frame rails on my WRX Wagon. I had the car like this for 5 days on all four jackstands without issues.

So when I jacked the front up to compress the struts and torque them down onto the hub, I took weight off the front jackstands and put all the weight of the car on the rears. This happened.

I thought a jackstand fell. I only did it like that cause it was fine doing it on my E36 M3 and doing the pinch welds on my WRX would bulge the side skirts out like they were gonna break

Seriously what's the best way of fixing it like it never happened? No metal got punctured though there's a dent under the front seats on the rear floor boards. I was gonna pull the seats then the carpet, lay a flat piece of wood down, and hit it with a hammer flat

I took off the radiator cap when my car overheated. Hot fluid everywhere ;_;

tried to remove my exhaust manifold heatshield, ended up breaking a bolt clean in half

> Car
Did an oil change, dropped the old plug into the oil pan, reached in to get it out, got oil all over my hand.

> Bike
Pulled into a car park full of other bikers, dismounted, nearly dropped the bike and only just got it back upright again.
Damn non-flat car parks...

> In general
Forgetting I wasn't allowed to work anywhere interesting because one person took a dislike to me 15 years ago, and thinking it was acceptable to admit to being autistic in a job application.

I dunno what you're talking about.
*cough*

drove through the flood in my turbo car

turbo sucked up water, my intercooler was full of water and i broke both primary wideband o2 sensors

im pretty sure it has a little more shaft play too

Lost a paper towel in the oil pan when I was changing a timing chain. It eventually found its way to the strainer. I found out about it when the oil light came on. Pulled the oil pan, removed it, checked a couple of bearings with plastiguage. They were fine, so I ran it for a couple more months and ended up spinning a bearing anyway.

Going down a gravel road 3 am grooving to some music steering left and right bald front tires. Lost control (understeer) and ended up going off road and hit blackberry bush. Could be a lot worse, I'm fine car is fine just reversed and off I went.. gosh don't be dumb
Pic related

im a mechanic so fuckups happen often.
only had sump plug finger tight, put undertray on.
went to have a break, remembered what id done and fixed it. luckily the tray was 3x12mm bolts and 2 trim clips. a co-worker told me that he went for a drive in a car without the sump plug in.

> Gravel road
> Bald tires
Your fault.

Shorted the battery when I was putting a valve cover back on. Thank fuck nothing happened besides some sparks

Most recently I bought a pair of inner tie rods for my foxbody and proceeded to lose them. It's been over 6 months and I still havent found them. It turns out I didn't even need them anyways

Swapping a clutch recently and i managed to punch the bellhousing with all my might and righteous fury.

Yeah now try a roof that you can't remove from the car.

>go to to used car dealership
>have Mercedes for $5k
>also have Nissan for $5k
>duDE mercedes lmao
>get the mercedes
>time passes
>I need to make repairs
>look at the cost of replacing shit
SShould have gotten the fucking pathfinder

Change rear tire on motorcycle for first time. First tire change I've ever done. When reassembling rear of bike I torqued down the wheel alignment nuts a bit because I don't know shit about them. Stretched my chain but I didn't realize what I had done until I tried readjusting the wheel/chain 12 times. Now I know how to change a tire, sprockets, chain, and align the wheel to perfection at least.

I cant think of any better ideas

Snapped off a bolt putting a new water pump in. Turns out they have a pretty low torque. Still sealed fine with one less bolt though

>Should have gotten the fucking pathfinder
You really should have.

What was the merc, c-class?

>rebuild an engine
>put in car
>everything runs fine
>see a few screws left in the box that had all the screws for that engine

Well, i have tried to warn you, but you youngsters never listen to us older folks. You should buy a Toyotaah as your next car - these never break, unlike Merceedus which are made for the fat cats.

Yep, don't remember the year though.

Was 19 and didn't browse Veeky Forums at the time, wont be making a mistake like that again.

Got my friend and I stuck at my place. Had to get tractors to get us out. Friend's rig was stuck for a few days. Had to dig it out and still had to get a tractor to pull ot out. Friends bumper got fucked when trying to pull it out. Got it out, his reverse didn't work, and other issues. We both blew out axle seals. Don't drive in fields during a hurricane. Happy Labor Day.

Put transmission fluid in a spare jug of royal purple and accidentally filled up my 95 Camaro with tranny fluid instead of oil

Wew lads

Cast iron can be welded like regular steel when it's not going to be exposed to drastic heat/cool cycles.

>thinking it was acceptable to admit to being autistic in a job application
If there was ever any doubt....

That would be the best idea.
Another thing you could do it weld some 1/8 rod or something to I and pull it but then you'll need to deal with getting rid of the weld

Yesterday I was changing my shocks.
I didn't put a jack under the wheel frame.
When I undid the bottom shock bolts the built up tension in the spring blasted the frame onto my hand.
A 10mm bolt went straight through my finger.

Awwwww man the fuck up bitch

Saying I'm autistic means I get a guaranteed interview if I meet the minimum requirements for the job, however. By law, no less. To prevent discrimination against the disabled.

>Downshifted from 5th to 4th while cruise control was still active
>push in clutch to shift
>Engine revs itself to redline until i get it into 4th
oops

seems like there's never enough convenient places to place jack or jackstands under a vehicle

done this a couple times mself

>Leftover parts
spooky times

this stop being a little faggot little pussie

Are you both insecure queers? Because fuck me, you sound like you are.

1st time changing fuel filter plastic 6 point hex breaks off diesel fuel rains down

I just crashed my car, rear axle probably fucked up, my rim is RIP and suspension probably bent.
I'm a fucking moron

and yes, I know it's very dirty, I was going to clean it tomorrow

I stick welded. Then quenched it with water because one of my CV boot caught fire. I'm not even going to lie and say I was drunk or some shit. I'm just a slightly sucidal dumbass.

how did u fuck that up

I drifted too hard

the fuck is that thing? daewoo nexia?

Cross threaded the oil filter on my mr2.

Started the car and by the time I could turn it off, roughly 50-60 bux of meme purple was on the garage floor

>spray engine with water hose
>multiple misfires
>end up replacing all of my ignition coils.
Will never wash an engine on a car again in my life.

Doh!

>literally says nothing other than DON'T FUCKING OPEN ME WHEN I'M HOT

>Op so fucking gay he opens rad when it's scalding hot

IDIOT.

Did you drift into a curb?

This is such an obviously bad idea. Pressure washing inside your engine bay, or even using a garden hose, is the dumbest shit ever.

>do it to both my cars multiple times
>taking care to cover certain exposed or delicate electrical shit like fuses, alternator, etc
>spray down with degreaser and water, spray with water a few minutes later
>cars always come out find and unaffected
i think you two are just stupid eh

No faggot, it's just a bad idea. You will never get it completely dry and you'll only encourage corrosion by doing that.

>use blower on air compressor hose to blow away most water
>go drive somewhere to evaporate the rest
excuse me? you're just proving my point

>I do this thing and believe rust doesn't exist in my manufactured reality
>everyone is stupid and I am the greatest
>mumma get me tendies

fuck off nigger I am so sick of you idiots

It's fucked, not much else you can do

Was that in Texas?

>removing A/C compressor from car
>undo all the mounting bolts
>still won't come off
>find what I think is another mounting bolt I missed
>PSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>huge explosion
>turns out whatever bolt I tried to remove was actually keeping the system sealed

Never been more freaked out by my car than that day.

>still haven't recharged A/C

>first time changing changing spark plugs on a customer's vehicle
>v6 in an old Nissan Pathfinder
>intake manifold removal required for access
>I get the new plugs in, and I'm putting everything back together when I notice I'm missing a 10mm bolt
>I can't find it anywhere so I decide to forget about it
>I fire up the engine, it roars to life for maybe a second and then shuts off with a loud popping sound and will not start again
>it turns out the missing bolt had fallen into an intake runner while the manifold was off, snapping a valve and destroying the inside of the cylinder. The engine is totally scrapped

That's just one of many major fuck ups I've had. I also had a wheel fall off from not tightening the lug nuts and I've done serious body work damage to three different cars one of which fell off a lift. That one cost my company $10k.

So I'm pretty much the king of fuck ups. I have no idea why I haven't been fired.

yes

1998 4.1 Chevrolet Omega

Didn't put my kickstand down all the way, busted my crankcase cover and left blinker, and scraped my fairings pretty good

Ya.

>car needs heater core
>take it to buddies garage
>buddy says I can pull the glovebox and have it done in an hour
>spend next 10 hours pulling entire dash
>put everything but the glovebox back in
>he was right

I also destroyed a plug wire re-gapping the previous owners shitty tune up job. But I saved it with a plug wire from a scrap car.

>0.36 to 0.45 plug gaps
>0.52 is spec

I was going to say hammer it out as a joke but honestly that's probably the best idea

>be parked in an empty parking lot
>waiting for something
>decide to leave
>pull a hard right turn so I can cut across the lot
>accelerate
>BAM
>what the fuck did I just hit?
>ran over a fully curbed Island
>taller than pic related, but no tree
>no noticable damage, but something is probably fucked

More recently, a work van I was driving stalled in the middle of a left turn lane of a busy intersection at 4:00PM. Not really a fuck up, though. Best I could have done was give it gas while it was sputtering.

You could have killed someone else though, It's not just your safety you're risking, man. A truck on the highway with complete loss of steering... What the fuck?

I thought I could get my 1.8t jetta shitbox to 60 and have time to stop before a speedbump, obviously I didn't and I flew over this huge fucking speed bump at like 40 mph

I sprayed down the engine on my old 03 Malibu with a garden hose for like 5 minutes straight and nothing happened

>misadjusted the clutch freeplay so the piston would not fully retract, then went to the Dragon and wondered why my clutch bite point kept moving around

>took out too much brake pedal play so the passenger side caliper drags when my leg bends the handbrake lever sideways -- probably need to hit the adjustment screw

>tried to fix a leaky soft top by cutting away the material that'd been impregnated by the previous owners repair attempt, just made a bigger hole and a bigger leak

>went to add oil one day and forgot to put the cap back on, drove all the way to work before I saw smoke roiling out from under my hood -- actually ended up bringing the oil capacity perfectly in the middle of the stick

miata life

Didn't notice a huge splat of bird shit on my car and didn't wash it, now the paints fucked up

Are you me?

Recently? Grind gears while trying to float gears. Overall? Ignored a failing u-joint until it exploded and made me have to get my driveshaft rebuilt, pic related

I burned up a fuel pump in my '91 5.0 Mustang because I was a cheapskate and a retard and ran it near empty on fuel all the time. That was a $600 mistake that I'll never make again.

>What's the biggest fuckup you have done recently?

Cheated on my girlfriend and ruined everything with her. She was the only good think I had in my life, Veeky Forums. And I threw it all away.
Really struggling to find a reason not to kill myself.

My girlfriend and I are going through a really rough spot right now and we've come really close to breaking up. I feel you man.
We're all in this together.
At least you still have your car, I don't.

lol same shit here anons, im losing interest in mine but she hasnt for me but i think im gonna break up with her. we've been together for 10 months

its like putting down a puppy at this point

>its like putting down a puppy at this point
I know what you mean. We had a really long talk a couple nights ago and she started crying really hard and I just couldn't do it. We argue all the time though. She is overly sensitive and gets pissed over stupid shit. I told I didn't like her new iPhone and she pretty much refused to talk to me for the rest of the day.

are you me? ill make stupid jokes about shit in life because im an edgy faggot and she'd laugh but now shes a sensitive cunt to everything and the whole situation turns sad then the day is gone yet again

>be me
>be today
>my mother wants me to have a drive with her to practice for my test in 2 weeks
>reluctantly say yes because she yells at me to do everything she says but whenever i do something myself (like downshifting) i get yelled at again because she didnt tell me to do it
>keep in mind this is my car that i saved up for over a year to get
>keeps on accusing me on not going wide enough for corners even though im driving normally with a very reasonable speed
>driving down laneless road around a corner
>LET GO OF THE WHEEL FOR A SECOND user NOW
>sweating out spaghetti
>ok... fine
>Fucking swerves to the right
>fucking eyes pop out on how far she suddenly swerves
>oncoming cars on the opposite side
>split second reaction take the wheel and swerve back into the left side of the road
>screamed out at her WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?! YOU NEARLY KILLED US!
>"i was showing you how to how to turn wide!"
>BY FUCKING KILLING US?!
>mum screams out PULL OVER PULL OVER NOW!
>i look for a place to park (it was a long bike lane)
>demands to hand over the fucking keys
>i fucking shout fucking no! im not letting you have my keys!
>cries and calls my stepfather while half crying that i refused to let her out and for him to bash me up
>for fucks sake fine take the keys
>drives like a retard
>mistake was letting her help me for my test
>cant get anyone else to help with my test since friends have better shit to do, stepfather is too fucking fat to get in and mother is thinking that i attempted to kidnap her and driving instructors are fucking expensive
>mfw im probably going to fail my test and pretty much be a busfag

nice fucking job asshole. please do kill yourself

The jack i have is too bulky to jack my car up from the front, and the jack points on the sides it fits but takes up too much space to put them on the part of my cars pinch welds that are made for jackstands. So through all the repairs i have done i have had to put the stands on the pinchwelds and they are bent now. Just a rusty shitbox but still feels bad and totally my fault.

probably your shocks

I failed my driving test the first time user

So did /ourguy/

A government worker will administer the test. They give no fucks if you pass or fail. You're clogging up their day regardless because government

What the fuck did I do?

apparently where i live (AusFag) they fail you the first time anyways for the stupidest shit possible like "not seeing you look both way" which you have to make it super obvious

That's exactly how I feel. I've even said to her, "a year ago you'd have laughed at that, now you just get upset"
We also haven't had sex in like 3 months because she has a huge fear of pregnancy. I've always been cooperative with her about it and I've always tried to understand, but it's hard to maintain a healthy relationship without anything physical.