/mhg/ - Monster Hunter General

/mhg/ Explains: 7 dos and don'ts to creating immersive and inventive video game HUDs

>Notice
An ongoing banwave has targeted 3DS systems with custom firmware. Still no confirmed correlation between all bans at this time.

>News
Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. confirmed for 8/25 in Japan, region free.
Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=CvzTD_RYDXs
Monster Hunter Stories is coming West this fall.
XX Update 1.1 w/ Eng Patch v3: my.mixtape.moe/uixtrs.png

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

mhgen.kiranico.com/
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243
In XX, ターグット: Gathering フィールド採集 (page 1, middle right)
In Generations, Objective: Gathering
In 4U, Target: Fishing

Tags: MHXX, MHGen, MH4U, MH3U, Stories, MHO, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread

Reposting because I feel like it's worth a reminder for the thread:

We don't know yet. From the data we've seen thus far:
>S tier, weapons with strong match ups on average and frequent absurdly strong match ups, as well as uncommon poor match ups, or weapons with absurdly above-the-curve damage capacity to make up for other shortcomings
HBG, LS, Lance
>A tier, weapons with strong match ups on average and frequent absurdly strong match ups, with occasional poor match ups
GS, Hammer, DB, SA, IG, Bow
>B tier, weapons with frequent strong match ups as well as frequent poor match ups, or weapons that have below average damage capacity
SnS, LBG, CB
>C tier, weapons with infrequent strong match ups and predominantly poor match ups. These weapons generally have poor damage capacity
GL, HH
>Gutted
Prowler

The strongest determining factor for your performance with any given weapon is your own affinity with that weapon. If you are a natural born CB user, you WILL get better results with CB on average than with any other weapon. Barring extremely favoured match ups, like HBG vs Plesioth or LS vs Astalos or Lance vs Hellblade. A and B tier weapons are very similar in strength. You've got a hard road ahead of you if you want to play GL, HH or Prowler, however.

Threadly reminder to kick anyone using the female voices 11, 15, 18, 19 or 20.

Is it hard for them to just rip off DD's controller UI for HAs?

>You've got a hard road ahead of you if you want to play GL, HH or Prowler, however.
Again, you're a retard, confirmed to never have used any of those weapons. Match up isn't what makes them weaker. Stop spreading bullshit, faggot.

why are the HAs set up like that? Wasn't it a standard since the early 2000s to just have a single D-pad on screen that shows which action does what?

What is it that makes them weaker then, user?
Generally poor damage capacity?
Awkward skill set requirements?
Lack of strong endgame options?
Your input is appreciated.

Kind of hoping there's some tweakable UI options

Are you stupid? Capcom does whatever they want. You just need to buy it.

Anyone got a link to monster hunter tri?

My iso is corrupted because the spaz uploaded it in 5 different broken up pieces increasing the possibility it could corrupt while downloading

Seregios is pondering life

The life of wyvern ladies

Turns out it was just unpacked incorrectly.

T-thanks peazip.

Not to mention the horrible positioning.

Thank god I didn't buy MHXX on 3DS. I know that all they did was made the textures clear, but holy fuck I can't wait to fight shit like Glavenus on a TV.

Nobody bought MHXX either but we all finished it 2 months ago

For HH and GL, it's just poor damage output, probably because of the songs, the heat gauge and the way the weapons are balanced. They are only a hindrance on TAs where time is everything, not in regular play. You're only encouraging more tier list autism by telling people not to use them.

Also, for most weapons, match up doesn't matter, as good speed runners will always be able to reach weakspots and make the most use out of them. The only times this applies is to monsters that have shit hitzones only for one type of damage, like Dreadking.

Please look forward to hot-button boxes in the next game

It's not quite as comfy as 3U, but I'll bet you even more people are gonna have a Switch, so I do look forward to enjoying another HD title with /mhg/.

a bamboo sprout has no right being this adorable

>for most weapons, match up doesn't matter

It does sometimes, particularly now that monsters move around a lot more. That affects hammer and HH disproportionately.

Switch has sold 65 million?

Are you somehow suggesting that number came into play in March 2013?

Hopefully it'll pave way for MH5 on Switch and push further. Take all the concepts of Frenzy/Hyper, Apex, Deviant, etc and make it happen in real time. Like a Monster actually gets blighted and becomes more vicious during the hunt or a Glavenus heads to a lava part of the area and turns into the Hellblade version. Shit, maybe introduce some crazy interspecies bred monsters like it was sort of implied with Astalos and Rathian. Imagine what abomination comes out from those two. Maybe also have proper weather and bring back diving?

lmao wat?

Likewise, I have no idea what you're on about.

So did the banning stoppu?
Can we go back to waste our lives pressing buttons on a TINY screen while pretending were hunting giant sauri fauna?

>For HH and GL it's just poor damage output
GL suffers a lot from a lack of ability to bring its damage to bear. Its motion values aren't awful, but you'll spend a lot of the time backhopping to close the distance where an IG user with similar motion values will already be hitting the monster.

>For most weapons, match up doesn't matter, as good speed runners will always be able to reach weakspots
Quick question here: have you actually done any TA's of your own?
The nuiances of the different weapons make a really big deal, things like how a weapon deals its damage and the opportunity cost of dealing damage with reference to the openings a monster has. There's a reason why Lance has such tremendously good clear times vs Hellblade, and it's not due to Lance simply dealing [that much] more damage.

Bans go out every Tuesday after maintenance. See you next week!

Hahahaha, it's still ongoing

where the proofs :-DDDD?

Right here

>Tried playing this game a couple times playing demos
>Always thought this was a shitty game for autists
>Play for the first time with a friend of mine
>Even doing shit like collecting mushrooms or fish is tons of fun
I feel kinda bad for always shitting in these games before

What would you feed Rathy?

>Always thought this was a shitty game for autists
It is. It really, really is.
>Collecting mushrooms or fish is tons of fun
That is the part of Monster Hunter that most of the playerbase dislikes the most.

It's nice to know that a newcomer is enjoying themselves, but it's hilarious that your experience is basically the diametric opposite of everyone else's.

Carrots so he could see better.

I want to BE meowstress!

Supposedly ongoing, but it's possible that banned systems just checking today were banned with the rest a couple of days ago.

The gathering wind-down is nice sometimes.

Don't worry, the magic wears out quickly. Nowadays only fighting monsters can make me have fun, never got as immersed in the game as I got in the first few weeks.

myself

I think he finds that funny because it's his first MH game.
But we had played several MH games. So when we start a new game is boring because is starting from the scratch again.
I mean, playing 4U unlit the first day of Generations ruined totally my experience, because I completed 4U at 100%, literally I didn't need nothing to farm anymore. So, when I start Generations was boring as fuck, because was gathering herbs and mushrooms, and hunts little shits over again.

Anyone got some of the dumbest webms of Frontier monsters doing Frontier things? I gotta show a bud some of the crazy shit from Frontier and don't have much of it.

Am I the only one who feels like GL got fucked in the ass with the heat mechanic? Sure it's more "engaging" to play or whatever but it's simply something you have to play around without getting a notable buff for doing so. At least other weapons have mechanics that actually reward you for keeping up with them.

That on top of how shitty mobility the weapon has it's just painful.

just show XX videos

I hacked my 3DS, am on 11.3, but haven't turned on my 3DS in weeks.

When will it be safe to turn it on?

I thought the heat gauge mechanic seemed really fun in theory, but in practice it just limits you miserably. Increasing the heat gauge without Full Bursting takes a lot of time, the damage buff is mediocre at red, and I've fucked up my red gauge far more frequently than I've locked it successfully.

It's WAY too difficult to manage for such a small pay off.

I think heat and Aerial/Adept/Brave are all quite biased torwards Normal-type GLs, as well.

Video unrelated?

>When you need to be even faster than Silverwind
Seriously though, what the fuck happened at the end? How did they die?

If you're messing up at managing the heat gauge, then you must be really bad at using the GL, It's really fucking easy even without artillery.

>It's WAY too difficult to manage for such a small pay off.
Indeed.

If you max out your heat in a bad spot where you'd need to get it locked but can't because the monster is being an ass about it you're just fucked. If you fuck it up you get penalized by simply having a worse GL than it would've been in a previous version of the game. If you succeed you get a meaningless buff.

It did nothing to fix the problems of the weapon and I'd even go so far as to say it amplified them.

At this point I really hope they just get fucking rid of it for MH5. It seems like they don't want to make it rewarding like the similar mechanics of other weapons.

Just another example of how badly the designers understand the weapon or alternatively how few shits they give about it.

Don't forget, they reduced motion values to make sure red bonus is balanced!

By being 2fast2furious

Being hit by from the back by narga's blade when it retracts it's arm after the slash.

That's a pretty cool gimmick.

>once you play tonfa or heaven swaxe all other weapons become unplayable because they can't dash
brb gonna put myself in hypersleep until z1 comes out in TW

Sure, like everything in this game you can just git gud.

Doesn't change how small the benefit is on managing heat properly versus the effort required to do so. And the fact that if you fuck up you get penalized for a huge chunk of time. The effort/risk and reward don't add up.

>in the event your SD card has a hiccup when booting, you will be prompted with a single option to reformat all save data with "yes" being the default choice
>in a fucking game where you have to mash the A button to skip all the fucking splash screens at startup
>lost 300 hour save file instantly

I've always hated these games. I really, really have. The gameplay mechanics were never intrresting or sensible. I only ever tried to play MH to feel connected with other people.

the games have crashed, the system programming always felt mind numbingly retarded, but this? for a spec of dust on a contact of the card to, by literally retarded design, automatically assume I would like all save data to be deleted...

i'm out. fuck Monster Hunter forever.

>I've always hated these games. I really, really have.
>300 hour save file

hows that double think treating you

I cannot deny, I am not good at using GL. Even so, managing red gauge is difficult enough that I usually don't even bother trying to lock it, and instead simply never use Wyernfire.

>doesn't back up his saves
>Doesn't back up his entire Nintendo 3DS folder periodically

Seriously, MAKE BACKUPS

>he doesn't make save backups

No excuse.

>only 300 hours

Did nobody learn anything from GoD

>I've always hated these games
Gotta be honest, I won't miss you. I'd rather you simply leave and not shit up the thread any further.

This

>GoD
?

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable: The Gears of Destiny

I'm more interested in that fuckhuege cannon blast the other guy did tbqh.

T/A,Time attack
Can probably get sub 6 or even sub 5 if I didn't fucked up or didn't spawn in area 5.I'm satisfied anyhow.
>If you are a natural born CB user, you WILL get better results with CB on average than with any other weapon.
Can confirm.I'm a literal garbage when I use other weapons other than CB.The only weapon other than CB that I can use properly is DB.I also have a friend that turns into noob when he is using a non-blunt weapon. I can see why a lot of REAL good players will always say that you stick with your favorite weapon.

A guy who had 1000+ hours on Freedom Unite that ended up going down the drain.

what happened to the chinese MHO

Still going strong, apparently.

something happened to it?

Terrible ping, terrible daily limits, and Freedom Unite style play made Western interest mostly taper off. Pretty much the only place to keep up with it is that one MHO Discord.

i will never understand the decision to make monsters server-side
lagging monsters makes it LITERALLY unplayable

>Freedom Unite style play
It's not a bad thing to build upon the best game

I wonder why Capcom wouldn't grant them newer properties.

Pariapuria!

Gotta have a good meal

except they ruined the feel of all of the weapons with floaty animations and no feedback for hitting monsters except for damage numbers.
MHO has graphics and nothing else. you can really tell it was made by those hunter blade faggots.

>monsters server-side

What the fuck, is this for real?

Yes, imagine Lagrex times ten

There a program for converting my Generations save to X so I can use it in XX or will it work just copying and importing it into X?
I remember back when Generations came out there was a tool that needed to be used to let X saves work.

Whatever you do, don't check the pastebin.

Oh god damn it
I'm a slut.

Bow looks like it's easy mode on PC

>get rid of mh's archaic controls and the game becomes easy
Huh, who'd a thunk it?

Gunner in general becomes easy mode in general on PC, which is the reason why mainline(especially numbered) will never be on PC. Restrictions in Freedom, my boy.

i dunno
i guess i started 4U when MHO was at its peak popularity in /mhg/ and there were posts and webbums about it all the time and now there's nothing

>Sub 6
I believe in you!
>Sub 5
Whew, that'd be pretty spicy. WR is 4:07.

WR for HBG is 3:06, this is my first run using the Daora set up. I only had 18 Pierce 1 left which means I was aiming pretty poorly. Next run I'll be testing out a Total Absolution/Mountainous Roar set up.

pariapuria gets fucked by gunners regardless, it is literally "dont get too close or get shitboxed" the monster, kind of like a miniature 4th gen akantor, really.
they killed off the english patch, since MHO is laced with chinese MMO bullshit, i imagine it became too difficult for gweilos to cope with

We all know kb+m is the ultimate control scheme to play mh with.

Why can't they put model shading in frontier?