Hey Veeky Forums this is my first thread so please don't be too harsh! Currently I drive an 08 BMW 328i...

Hey Veeky Forums this is my first thread so please don't be too harsh! Currently I drive an 08 BMW 328i, I'm looking to upgrade next year I've narrowed it down to either a 440i or an M240, can you guys give me pros and cons for both and which you'd choose?

literally the dumbest question

Do you want a big car? 4 series

Do you want a small car ? 2 series

Thanks for your insight and thoughtful response user. I will take this into consideration and reflect upon my choices.

what the fuck do you expect from a Laotian milk bottle collection forum?

An informed and thoughtful response. I suppose that was wishful thinking.

It's a BMW you know what you're getting.
Do you want bigger slower more expensive
Or smaller faster less expensive?
What are you actually asking

Get a 435xi instead. It is the 440 but just before they rebadged it and then you can save a lot of money buying one that's 2-3 years old

Get the m240i, just my opinion

I'm saving to get an M2 as my daily driver until I finish medical school. Currently dailing an e60 530i which I also love but I want something more powerful with a shorter wheelbase next. The new 2 series are awesome cars. Go for a 5er if you don't want something nimble and fast.

Well, both share the same magical engine, so they both will use the same gas (more or less). but the M240i has a smaller tank. The 235i had some issues concering squeaking, I dont know if they fixed that.
It is said, the Mx35i/x40i are more or less the successors of the E46 M3, because they are more or less equal sized and also very dynamic. In fact, they are miles ahead of the E46; the 240i would be comparable to an E92 M3.
Concercing dynamics, they have fixed the 4 series with the latest facelift.An 335i F would be slower as an E92 335i around the track - which isn't a problem anymore.
Ah, and go for the automatic. BMW shifters are bad.
As to me and my pious opinion , the M240i is the better second car and the far better first car. Plus it looks just damn fine.

Really I was just asking which you'd choose and why.

I can't find many of those around here, I just did a quick search. Thanks for the insight bro.

These are great replies, thank you both for responding. I did have a small preference towards the 240 I just wanted to see what others thought. Thank you all.

Sure bro, happy to help

Sometimes we post a /bmw/ general thread here so keep an eye out for that from time to time

Nice. Just finished dental school and bought an e82 135i. Going to tune it up to ///M2 hp and daily and track it.

Love the M2 and the M235i is pretty similar.

Its small and fast. The 4 series is just too big despite it performing much better because of the extra power. I think the 2 is just the most fun.

Going to probably get a Porsche next though. ///M2 isn't different enough from my current car to consider it an upgrade

If you are planning to track it, save up for m2. Hype has some what died down on m2 and you can actually test drive it and work on a deal. I still remember they were charging crazy mark up when they first came out

Out of the choices provided OP< I'll choose the MR2

Pros:
Not made by BMW
Fun
Aesthetic

Cons:
Costs money
Requires fuel

Hey, I'm not trolling at all when I say this, but why would you even consider one of these when the WRX STI exists?

i'd have the M240 because delicious hatch

FUCK off and stop perpetuating the Veeky Forums meme car shit, it's a good car but it's not the end game of all cars, stop acting like it is cunt

>insert vape/shit interior meme

also cons:
Snap oversteer leading to your death

Nice man congrats. Yeah the 135 and 235's can be tuned to m2 power rather easily, just takes some ecu remapping, exhaust work and possibly new downpipes and manifold

I can understand why you'd rather do that than get an M2 since your ride is similar already. For me it would be a big jump from sporty sedan to full on sports car so I'm excited. On porsches, well I don't like how they look but I love them from an engineering perspective. I would love to have a gt3 but that's probably not going to happen for a long time lol.

>Pros:
>Not made by BMW

This was supposed to go under cons

Shit interior, shit exterior, really only good for rally

Fuck you for being worse than the guy you replied to and perpetuating that meme. Idiot.

Alright OP, so here is the deal. I just researched all the cars you mentioned quite thoroughly over the last year and ended up just getting a GTI because at some point in your thinking, you're forced to come to the inevitable realization that with BMW you are allocating a decent amount of money into a brand name/image component of the final price, which is something I am not really vain or wealthy enough to do, I guess. The performance is good, but it's not $50k good.

ANYWAYS, cars like the M235i and the M240i are pretty cool and in my opinion and propose a better value buy than something like the M2 when it comes to a car that is going to be used as a daily driver and maybe some light tracking. The engines are the same, albeit with a slightly different tune, and the rest of the differences can be attributed to a lack of a DCT (the ZF 8 speed is completely fine, or just go with manual) and chassis/suspension/steering feel, which are largely irrelevant unless you're a track autist, imo

the 4 series are disgusting. they are just the 4 door versions of the 2 series. don't get them

also, you want to figure out if you're gonna go with RWD or xDrive. Again, from an autistic perspective, BMWs adaptation of AWD (Xdrive) is just throwing a diff in the front. It can be argued that it throws off the feel of the car but you'd be retarded to not admit that it adds an element of practicality to those living in areas with winter climate AND to putting power on the ground. so keep those in mind. xdrive will have better resale

I personally don't give a shit for the m240i (fun fact, the m240i is literally the same as the new supra) and would pick up a 2015 or 2016 M235i with sub 15k miles for $35,000 if I could find one.

keep in mind, i don't know if you've driven one yet, but the 2 series are fucking SMALL

>this car
>remotely attractive in any way, shape, or form
LOL

I love this response. Thank you all who took the time to help me out. These replies have definitely helped me rule out the 4 series. Now my search begins for comps on both 235 and 240 models.

both of these are shit and slow as fuck compared to the 240i or 440i
Wtf are you guys thinking

>08
car's new enough.