SUV/Truck Buying Advice

My brother needs your help, friends. He's ready to spend $35,000 for a Jeep Wrangler. I think that's a terrible value (Consumer Reports' worst value midsize SUV). Normally I wouldn't care about my brother buying something dumb, but I think he's going to regret his decision due to the fact that he makes little money and Fiat Chrysler is notorious for being unreliable. Can you help me find a car he'll love?

Qualities he'd enjoy:
Something big that makes him look manly
Em Pee Gees
Acceleration
Reliability
Traps
Cheaper than $35,000 new or used

I tried to talk him into a sports car, but he's really feeling truck vibes, and I can understand that. I want him to enjoy his new toy, but I don't know the SUV and truck market at all. And maybe I'm wrong and the Wrangler is actually awesome. Please give me your knowledge.

Couple year old Tahoe

This.

Qualities he'd enjoy:
>Something big that makes him look manly
>Em Pee Gees
>Acceleration
>Reliability
>Traps

>Traps
>Traps
>Traps

The Wrangler has almost unbelievably bad build quality. Reliability is on par with vehicles from the 1920's, and warranty service from FCA is like getting a nigger to pay child support.

There is literally no worse choice for a vehicle in this class. But if he's dead-set on getting one, he'll probably buy one despite it's myriad shortcomings. People love Jeeps, even though they're shit vehicles. It's fun and gimmicky to take the doors and top off and pretend you live in some desert wasteland.

Until the hinges start rusting and the top stops sealing out rain and the HVAC dies and your SFA tries to murder you on the freeway and you start spending $500 month on repairs as a basic normality of JEEP LYFE.

I'd say he should look at a 4Runner or an FJ, but you also said he likes traps - so a Jeep might be the perfect vehicle for him. Faggots LOVE Jeeps.

I actually threw the FJ Cruiser idea at him because he had mentioned liking them several years ago, and he still seems fairly interested. I'd like to find him something with either more power or more MPGs or more TECHNOLOGY, though.

If you want more MPGs get a crossover, any BOF SUV is going to be a pig on gas.

If you want more power, again, you will not be getting good MPGs. There is no shortcut to power, it takes fuel to make horsies.

As for """TECHNOLOGY""" I don't know what the fuck you even mean by that. I have an FJ Cruiser and it has built-in XM Radio, a USB port, a 110 volt plug in the rear, an AUX jack for your phone/iPod/etc., cruise control, ATRAC, ABS, traction control, VSC, Dual VVTi...

Are you talking about some more MECHANICALLY advanced? Or just stupid shitbrain trinkets like touch screens? Because you can throw a touchscreen head unit into any vehicle.

>buying a JK jeep
The JK stands for "Just kidding, it's not a Jeep, it's a minivan with four wheel drive." Get a YJ or TJ if you want a real Jeep.

I think you meant

>get a CJ if you want a real Jeep

As soon as Chrysler touched those vehicles they started to go downhill. I agree that the TJs/YJs are definitely better than the nuJeeps, but the interiors on those Chrysler-era Jeeps are fucking horrendously shoddy.

Know anything about the reliability of the Infinity FX37? It's pretty fast and looks great.

It looks like a sex toy with wheels.

Do you feel any acceleration g's if you get on it in your FJ? 7-second 0-60 sounds slow

It's not a racecar, but it also weighs ~4500lbs with the automatic transmission. I think the manual is slightly less.

With the 2010+ models you get 260hp from a 4.0L V6. You'll feel some hard pull in the mid range of the lower gears 1-3, and it will spin the rear end (mainly because it's got a short wheelbase and the rear is so light).

I have 275/70/R17 BFG T/A KO2s on my FJ, so it's heavier than the stock tires. When I had Michelin LTX MS2's on it, it definitely gripped and pulled faster. Now it's just decently powered, I always have enough to get past slowpokes at higher speeds.

Still slower than a Tundra with the 5.7L though.

If your brother really, truly wants something like this with lots of speed, he might try to find a used FJ with the Toyota TRD Supercharger, it bumped HP to over 300 and boosted the torque quite a bit. Most of those have a TRD exhaust/intake too. Together that will throw you back in your seat, but your traction control will come on too.

just get a Suburban/Tahoe

But those are unreliable trash vehicles.

Probably too hard to find, but my brother would love the shit out of a supercharged FJ. Thanks for the info.

if he wants any FJ he better hurry up and buy one, prices have basically stopped going down and reached a plateau at this point

what's it like being wrong

I don't know, what's it like being gay?

had a tj for years. never once broke down on me. only replaced brakes tires and the top after a freak hail storm.

>seat foam so cheap it bottoms out after a year of use
>dash plastic so brittle it cracks and splits on its own, no need to touch it
>centre console lid can literally be broken off with a hard sneeze
>door hinges make of painted steel, that rust simply from normal use, by their very design
>tailgate weatherstripping is literally GLUED to metal, which rusts off and ends up hanging from tailgate with chunks of flaked rust metal stuck to it
>literally used chipform underpadding underneath the carpet of the vehicle, which acts like a fucking sponge soaking up water and rusting out the floorpans
>seat isn't even height adjustable

Dude Chrysler really took a basic vehicle and made it a SHITTY basic vehicle. The old CJ5s didn't have lots of features, but the interiors were well-built and didn't break.

what's it like being retarded

Don't forget:

>doors are literally held on by a swatch of fabric

So shitty people have to use paracord to stop their doors from flying into the hood from a gust of wind.

see

>projecting this hard

keep it up I'll project my dick into ur ass

im convinced Veeky Forums is literally just a bunch of people (children?) who have never even sat inside a particular vehicle, but have already worked up some sort of horrendous bias against it.

and then people go as far to use terms such as "build quality" in regards to a jeep wrangler, and pretend to know what they mean.

Chrysler shill pls go

The only thing more pathetic than someone paid to shill for a shit car company is someone who does it for free.

post the title of your car worth more than 1000 dollars and i'll let you have an opinion

Sure is a lot of money for the plebes to be throwing around isn't it?

If he wants something new just to drive, a Tacoma, 4Runner, or any mid sized truck wouldn't be bad. Canyon, Colorado, etc.

If he wants one for off roading a 2 door rubicon is really good. It comes stock with locking front and rear Dana 44 axles, the aftermarket support is pretty good.

Jeepfag here ('00 XJ 4.0l, 3" lift, 30/9.50/15, custom welded roof rack/front, rear bumper)
I use mine for overlanding prepped for any most mild/semi-difficult trails.
I personally suggest getting a used truck off of Craigslist, or even used car lots and even carmax.

He could find a fairly (below) reasonable price (not that great of a deal especially compared to Craigslist) JK Rubicon.

>Yj
>Chrysler era interior
Nigga what? The YJ was 100% an AMC design. Just like the Renix XJ

>Something big that makes him look manly
>Em Pee Gees

Your brother is a poser faggot, tell him to buy a cuck-tier crossover to match his cuck-tier lifestyle

Wasn't it Chrysler built but AMC design?

>said the busrider

Chrysler bought AMC in 1987 and immediately found ways to cut costs. AMC used a lot of GM components in their vehicles, so Chrysler simply replaced these with shit-tier versions from their own supply chain.

Think I'm gonna suggest something in the Volvo XC line to him. I've read really good reviews so far. Does anyone know anything about their reliability/maintenance cost?

What components did they replace? The YJ and XJ continued with Renix electronics and GM-style ignition switches until 1992, and GM steering columns until the XJ got an airbag. The YJ always had the GM columns.