/wgg/ Wargames General

>What is this?
A general for all strategic, operational, and tactical wargames that can't generate enough traffic to sustain their own generals.

>Attention Grabbing tags:
/wgg/ /sdg/ /rtt/ /rts/ /rtsg/ /tsg/ /mowg/ /mowassg/ /ctag/

>Example welcome games:
Steel Division: Normandy 44
Wargame: Red Dragon
Combat Mission
Call to Arms
Flashpoint Campaigns
Graviteam Tactics
Theatre of War
Men of War
Command: Modern Air Naval Operations
Armored Brigade
Close Combat
Steel Panthers MBT

>Introduction to Steel Division:
paradoxplaza.com/steel-division-player-guide/

>Graviteam Tactics Downloads:
pastebin.com/TwMLZQ6h (embed)
pastebin.com/cgWbuPSS (embed)

>Interesting history links:
Cold War military technology ads:
vintageadbrowser.com/military-ads-1980s
/wgg/ misc Cold War literature:
mediafire.com/download/zfm69f0k91pmf0y/wgg-lit-v1.3.rar
The Soviet Army: troops, organization & equipment
fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf
USMC intelligence North Korea handbook:
fas.org/nuke/guide/dprk/nkor.pdf
Everything there is to know about the T-62:
thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.my/2015/12/t-62.html

>Teamspeak server
ts.artificialanimation.com:7997

>Discord
discord.gg/cbbQvEP

>Legacy Wargame General pasta and game-info repository:
pastebin.com/70Nwcb5m (embed) (embed)
dropbox.com/s/lon0cgmjfqwq1oi/WargameRD_Hidden_Knowledge_Spreadsheet.xlsx?dl=0
docs.google.com/document/d/1UvBiH3lrCFzLYnRzNzF49yVtaNHYLfi7dgMpNE517RM/

First for bullying wehraboos

playing Steel Division, im fucking god awful at it/
What should i do to beat the second German mission, i cant push though the fields just before bridges, i keep getting raped and if i wait too long i seem to get over run

>IG 18
>Flak 88
>MG 42
>Nebelwerfer

These are the true wunderwaffe.

fourth for
the game sucks
it will be ded soon
op has a small dick and is probably gay aswell
just kill me please

Excellent taste.

canister rounds for the M3 when?

Men of War Assualt Squad

God fucking damn it, closest I've come to beating a v.hard AI, I did have a lot of unnecessary losses.

You missed the Pak 36 37mm

How hard does very hard cheat?

I recall hearing that they get 3x to units per card, starting points and

and income*

can you post your deck?

>phase A 129
>absolutely nothing to keep it from getting shot out of the sky

you're crazier than a coconut

Strictly emergency only, but yes that fat fucking tub takes forever to evac.

>Deutschland wants to join the five eyes but his Mutter won't let him

Use all the tools your toolbox, it's not that hard. Also don't attack the same spot if it's not working.

isn't it great that cancer starts have become divisional flavor

define cancer start

First attempt to build an infantry deck, please be gentle.

Speaking of starts - could we (mostly) fix rush tactics by starting some matches with some Phase A forces already deployed on the frontline when you the game starts? Could even be AI. They'd be nothing more than a speedbump, but you'd feel like you were reinforcing a sector of an ongoing conflict instead of every matching being a meeting engagement.

With 716 I don't even bother with the Tank tab anymore. You could get more useful stuff than those French shitboxes, especially after Phase A. Definitely want to consider some more munitions too - 716 moves real slow and asks a lot of it's support/artillery tabs.

>First time playing an infantry focussed vision
>Going for the Dante Must Die difficulty level division

absolute madman

>start 6th airborne game with mosquito and recon plane

>4 cards of French tanks

Are infantry divisions supposed to be hard are they?

This was the original idea for phases when people talked about them years ago before SD was released. An initial engagement phase where you can only deploy recon units, followed by unlocking the full roster once the meeting points are scouted.

Too bad they opted to have phase A as full on trench warfare instead.

No, the most powerful divisions in the game right now are infantry-focused divisions, it's the 716th in particular that's supposed to be hard, since IRL it was a division composed of war cripples, old men and with fuckall armour.

Eh, guess you're right. Think I gonna ditch both regualr Somua cards and instead go for two more supply Opels in A and 3 command Somuas in C - the command S35S(f) is the only leader unit I have that's not on foot, and I'm getting the impression that I really want leadership all over the place to help out the grunts and gun teams.

even if you had something to protect it, it will fall

Here's a better 716th for you if you really insist

Ended up including French tanks because there's really no replacement for 21 somuas in Phase C and you might catch your opponent unprepared

Hh6OEY+ikeGOso7Bj0GPspERjtGQkZChj9GPwZGxkiKQ8ZARkAGRkpExkgORQZFikEGRI5BRjlGOYY5xkXE=

Ranked and Quickplay share the same pool?

lmao.

>1575 points of slow moving shitboxes with shitty armor and nearly ineffectiv guns against any phase c tank

Do the campaigns get better after the American one? After the 3rd mission i'm feeling tapped out, 4th was just shite.

It's priceless isn't it?

They move at a solid 70km/hr too, I would dare say that 5 of them have a chance of taking down a KT if their morale doesn't falter

>10v10
>Most of the Allies are 101st
>Most of the Axis are 21st or Lehr

I hope they go back to the EE style of free campaign updates, but then I remember Paradox

>boland

Vetoing maps in ranked when?

I sure do love losing because my opponents get a map the suits them perfectly while mine is sub-par on it.

is this a good deck,
or am i a shitter?

Anyone know how the sound files of Close Combat III can be accessed? I would like to rip the main menu theme.

Why mosquito in at least half the maps in the pool you know exactly where people are going to go.

>Playing 10v10 Destruction to see how the other half lives
>Guy called "Player" calling me a noob because I said it's shit
>He had 300 kill points, 20 minuted into the match

dont ever play destruction my friend
you will just end up regretting it

kind of like trying heroin
only that it never feels good at any moment

>play destruction
>everyone camps like faggot

You do gotta admit those numbers flying out of dead units does feel satisfying tho.

superior tank coming through

fear the unstoppable french

That's exactly what happened too

god help us

how large do you think is madmats penis?
im betting he has a very large bush and you cant even see his balls

>ranked
moba shitters go and stay go

>Play conquest
>hold 51% of the map and arty anything that moves while stacking more and more AT in my line
????

You can be a shitter in any mode.

my first experience in mp was losing like bitch to lehrs pumas
at the end I checked opponents statistics and it told me 580 hours of which 540 was in menus
is that normal?
I added more 6pdrs to my deck, zero vet cromwells and stuarts seem too slow vs puma

Yep, we all spend days upon days in the deck creation menu furiously masturbating to pareto optimal decks.

yup, this game tickles my rooster autism from tabletop wargaming.

half of my playtime is sitting in the deck creator.

Was even worse in RD with the number of units and factions, I'd just fire up a game, build a deck while theorycrafting about how it would perform, and then quit.

>Destruction shitter tries poorly to defend his bad game mode

the stats are bugged
they will probably not add up either
in wargame RD my stats read that i had spent 10000 hours in menus

>I sacrificed a whole division but we took that treeline. I'm a hell of a tactician.

Conquest is for normies that can't into risk management and get upset when they're punished for being shit. That's why it's the flagship mode in the is casualized wargoyim.

I struggle to counter AT guns

real war is about taking ground my friend
how can i rape my enemys women if i dont take his ground?

t. commisar ivan vladmirovich stanisovsky

>Having to walk to your rapes because all your assets are burning in a french field

>I can't push and remain positive so I'll play the game mode that doesn't punish me for it.

What ground based AA is best at knocking down planes? From experience 88s are great at causing morale failure but do jack shit damage. While swarms of 20-30mm cannons can sometimes do the trick, but swarms divert up the fire enough all planes get away.

I miss making cocky bombers crash and burn with a well places radar aa battery in rd.

>What ground based AA is best at knocking down planes?
None. Yes some may be sligtly better than others, but if you actually want to shoot down planes, you need fighters. AA exist to tell things to fuck off and make it easier for your fighters to control their airspace. I would never try to build enough AA to reliably shoot down planes, as I don't think you could with most decks, and the point expenditure would be enormous.

>leave a skeleton frontline so you don't lose shit to enemy arty, while artying the enemy's skeleton frontline
wow so much risk management, such strategy

The only AA worth a damn is the 88's.

Unless they're bombing a target deep behind your lines, you'll never stop them before they winchester with anything else.

Tri-Polstens are OK and so are Bofors for piling up some damage and increasing the turnaround time on the bombers but 'the bomber always gets through'

>The only AA worth a damn is the 88's.
Nah, any 1,000 range AA that doesn't have absolute shit stats is useful. AA will often decides who wins the dogfights, which is a big deal. Not saying 88s aren't one of the best, but other AA is worth picking up.

>I play like a retarded shitter
>I'm uniroincally this bad at the game
>Why doesn't anything work for me?

Dunning-Kruger

Idk American quad-50 GMC's always seem to work for, especially if in using interceptors

Are half tracks with hmg useful as improvised aa? Them and tanks (especially tanks) constantly annoy me as they effectively give away their position taking pot shots at fighters. But I've wondered if they might not discourage bombing runs or serve as half decent platforms if spaced out properly or given leadership buffs. Especially as they're a potentially much cheaper substitute for the real deal.

it's you who doesn't understand how destruction played by good players looks like, and your shittery is why you like it

>conquest babbies
PROTIP: Maybe instead of spending all your points on artillery and trying to point and click the enemy to death you should attack that "skeleton frontline".

>implying that the winner of conquest won't be 1,000 points ahead of their opponent
I think I've seen one or two 1v1 games where the winner wasn't ahead in destruction points. So the entire premise of this discussion is pretty retarded.

AA also exists to suppress the fuck out of anything within line of sight. This isn't Wargame where you're paying 80 points for a missile attached to a tractor that can only shoot things in the air, if you use your AA platforms (particularly the armored ones) as support vehicles you'll get your money's worth

Why should I attack the skeleton frontline when all that does is feed the guy points.

Why would I play Destruction when it's the certified shitter game mode for people who aren't capable of thinking

They can make it pretty hard to ID your actual AA pieces.

>implying 'good' players wouldn't just roll through your lines if you spent all your points on artillery
t. someone who rolls through the front lines of people who spend all their points on artillery

And that's how you lose destruction. Yeah, good job, you have 10% more territory than the other guy, and he sniped some of your units and got a 500pt lead. Now what genius?

The only way "push him til his spawn" works is if you take the strategy I described to idiotic lengths, like interpreting "skeleton frontline" to mean "90% arty opener, 0 units in the frontline and 2 units in the back"

>Why should I attack the skeleton frontline when all that does is feed the guy points.

>I can't push and remain positive so I'll play the game mode that doesn't punish me for it.

>I'm uniroincally this bad at the game

Thanks for proving my point.

Fuck off you tit

It's EXTREMELY difficult to attack a position and remain with a positive KD. Maybe it's easy when you're playing against shitters, but I was assaulting a town held by FSJ being played by a semi-decent player, so in that it's a miracle I managed to win at all.

Next you'll be telling me that the Soviets didn't actually win WW2 because they took more losses

>t. someone who rolls through the front lines of people who spend all their points on artillery
Yup, you just confessed that you've never experienced a match against good destruction players who play to the objective.

If your opponents can't bleed you during a push, does that mean that all you play are pubstomps, or are you the peerless, best SD player ever?

is arty the only sure fire way to counter AT guns?

Except I've found putting AA in cover severely limits their ability to shoot planes, the thing theyre meant for. Putting them up against treelines fucks with their LOS. And if theyre plugging away at ground targets in an empty field theyre artillery bait. Also them shooting ground targets means they wont target the dive bombers probably aiming for them since they're now so close to the front.

Sure, if you fast move your shit and don't think about what you're doing.

Do you actually think it's impossible to assault a position without taking horrific losses. How fucking bad are you?

At least we agree that if you're bad, you get punished for it.
Explains a lot.

>Do you actually think it's impossible to assault a position without taking horrific losses. How fucking bad are you?

>At least we agree that if you're bad, you get punished for it.
>Explains a lot.

Any one else not able to get into the game?

I play like 1-2 10v10's and I'm already stressed out having to deal with all the micro. It just doesn't seem worth it. It doesn't seem fun, it seems like a fucking job managing every unit, and checking LOS constantly.

>10v10

>here we come Canada

But why would they want to destroy their own country?

>Do you actually think it's impossible to assault a position without taking horrific losses. How fucking bad are you?
I think you are inherently at a disadvantage when pushing. Your units are in the open, those of the other player are not. The other player gets the initiative in whether to shoot and what units to shoot with, as well as where to meet you [does he have more infantry? he can choose to let you cross and fight you in the forest etc]. If he is a match for you at all, he will in most cases be able to leverage that into a point advantage.

If the matchup isn't competitive then you can use a bad approach like the one you're describing and still win.

10v10's are the quickest to get into.

I still can't believe this series doesn't have a fucking proper matchmaking system.

Also most of the 3v3 and 4v4 games are fucking pub stomps.

>Join Game
>All players are Axis
>HMMM

It might not be for you unless you can get over the reality that you're gonna lose stuff in battle. Micro as best you can but learn to prioritize. Should you be focused on trying to save your 20 point infantry getting shelled by artillery/planes, or countering the threat directly through counter battery or fighters?

Its mostly a numbers trading game. If your units are killing more points than theyre worth, you're winning/doing well.

>It's EXTREMELY difficult to attack a position and remain with a positive KD.

Maybe you should try getting gud and not blindly charging infantry into machineguns across open fields?
The game is still rock-paper-scissors. You have so many tools that you can use to weight things against your opponent. How the fuck are you winning all these conquest games if you're taking such massive casualties?

>Steel Division: Normandy '44

Struck a nerve, did I?

>How the fuck are you winning all these conquest games if you're taking such massive casualties?
You can win a conquest game regardless of casualties though by taking territory.

Conquest is good because if you play like a little bitch and sit in a town outside spawn, you're punished for it.

How are you punished for playing like a shitter in destruction?

Did the Soviets get to Berlin and then it was decided in the peace talks that because Germany had killed the most men over the war that they actually won?

No I was simply making fun of how retarded your posts are

>Maybe you should try getting gud and not blindly charging infantry into machineguns across open fields?
are you one of the idiots that believe pushing is about sneakily advancing your recon for elite search and destroy missions? Or how do you think pushing is done if not by advancing exposed infantry with fire support ready to help against anything that shoots them?

>How the fuck are you winning all these conquest games if you're taking such massive casualties?
Nobody is talking about massive casualties. If you push and you lose a tank and five infantries and the other guy just loses five infantries, you're behind and have to push more to make up for that lost tank. It's a net negative move.

The difference with conquest is, when you push and lose the tank, the other guy can't sit on his extra kill. He has to push himself and suffer for losing the positional advantage.