/stsg/ - Starsector General

Previous Thread:
>What?
Starsector is a 2D single-player open-world RPG space combat exploration economic game thing, basically Mount & Blade but in space.
Outdated but still relevant introduction video:
youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

>Where?
Official site:
fractalsoftworks.com
Official forums:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php#1

>Current version
0.8a-RC19

>List of popular mods
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>My game keeps crashing help
Make sure you have Java 7 installed (not Java 8)
??? suggestions

>The performance is really bad what do I do?
Other than allocating more memory for the game to use, there isn't much you can do.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

Some user said there isn't a reason to install sniffers. What exactly do they do?

>The player can install a comm sniffer on a relay to receive classified information, such as early warnings of impending food shortages.
>The player must be in or near a system with a relay to receive news updates.
Basically nothing unless you're doing a mercantile playthrough.

This game is a lot more fun when you're just getting your first cruiser or destroyer.

I like playing single ship runs, but I need mods like BRDY or Appro to add the fun ones like the Desdinova. The latter has some really fun cruisers.

This thread is on life support

It'll see some traffic with each mod update or game patch.

I wanted to make some TT Brawler webms, but fuck it, it's too shitty

Well, hopefully .8.1 comes soon and with it Nexerelin, then it really will have some life put into it.

I never bother with more than a single capital nowadays. Maybe if all the nerfs in proposed.8.1 does make things more challenging I'll have a reason to pull out a second capital against 600k fleets.

Honestly, beyond being fast and overpowering frigates it's shit. I hope Alex will buff its flux stats

How do you even equip a TT Brawler? I love HVD+Mauler with the normal variant but with medium energy slots I can't think of anything the Brawler AI can handle without killing itself or contribute nothing to a fight.

Wasn't there a guy that was using AMs/tacs or something

If .8.1 doesn't come in the next few days then I doubt this thread will make it

As i've said before i wish he'd just hotfixed what was fucking Nex and other mods up and left the rest for another time.

don't die

too late

Is it true that Dassault-Mikoyan causes some kind of economy bug? I'm considering using it.

It may, due to how trade and the economy works right now. The other candidates for the cause were KT and II, and DR came out saying that he had tested them (on his version of .8.1) and it didn't cause it, so he was pretty convinced that it was Dassault. Not enough testing has been done to confirm it and some of the info doesn't really match up.

There's no real harm in using it, the economy gets fucked when the bug does happen, but honestly it only accelerates the game slightly.

what kind of fuck up is it?

Oversupply combined with the eternal war combined with potential overproduction from specific mods can lead to what basically amounts to a system wide stability drop and value depreciation.

anyone do borg runs? Never buy ships; only recover them.

In .8? It's pretty easy.

>thread ded during priem tiem

please buy my half finished game

nice try but if it was really Alex he would be asking you to buy him vodka instead.

I'm new and this is what I'm doing right now because I can't afford new ships while paying for fuel/supplies.

What damage hull mods are considered to be too severe to use? I've been scrapping ones with gimped sensor or engines, but they seem to be all too common. Is it at all possible to repair them back to like-new condition?

Do the tutorial, stick to those ships, no need to buy until you've gotten the hang of fighting off low level bounties. All (D) mods are usable to varying degrees especially in early game. When you get more money you start to decide what kinds of ships you want to buy. You can refurb a (D) ship but there's no point early on unless you score a Capital, and you're not likely to have enough money for it (in the refit screen)

fucking ded

BRDY WHEN

Don't forget that restoring is probably going to cost you more than just buying a fresh ship anyway.

While this thread is still up, what are some other good spess games /stsg/ could recommend, preferably ones that could run on a mediocre laptop? Prior to Starsector, the only ones I've played were EV Nova and Freespace 1/2, all of which I enjoyed the hell out of.

>EV Nova
Muh nigga. Endless Sky is a spiritual successor and is 100% free. The controls are improvements on the old and UI is much better (better filters for maps, fuel range, commodity price view, continue to next hyperspace waypoint with one button, etc). I was really put off by the non-isometric graphics at first but the gameplay is such that it more than makes up for it.

after 0.8.1

That's the problem: you can't. OK, you CAN make beamspam brawler, but that's not why would you get it. To be honest I don't think there's any loadout good for AI at all.
Engines are the worst, while sensors are actually the mildest ones since they only affect range, not combat ability.

They even kept the old planet view UI, which gives me all sorts of nostalgic feels whenever I look at it.

>tfw you will never experience the wonder of docking at Kane for the first time and hearing the busy station background noise

The Infinite Space series is pretty good, first 2 anyway. Haven't tried the third. Look cheap but play nice enough. Nice little roguelikes.

Nexus: Jupiter Incident. It's kind of like mix of Homeworld and Starsector. You still get to control the loadouts of your fleet and fine-control individual ships tactically. The only difference is that you don't "pilot" ships with WASD like you would in Starsector. You use the traditional RTS controls to move your ships.

Oh man that's pretty nostalgic.

Thanks for these too, I'll check them out.

Why aren't there space games that depict a flat earth, you know, its real shape?

When is 8.1?

When it's done, as it always is with Alex

Postponed for a day just because you asked.

Did someone order frigates?

That makes me want to hangout around Luddic Path planets with maximum deployment points and see how many fuckers will go after me

A long time ago I played a game called Flatspace which is also top down. I don't really recommend it but I'm curious if anyone else here played it.

please mail vodka

send

not until Moras are nerfed.

Is there something that the AI has which gives them infinite fighter refits? I'm watching the carriers and they've been at 100% for over thirty minutes already

did you win

Frigates grouped up like that aren't difficult. I'd be more afraid if those were khopeshes or something. All it takes right now is 3 wings of khopeshes to take down a fleet of cruisers one at a time.

I'm using my own LP lasher against these guys now, makes for some hectic fights

Yeah I ended up zoning everything away from my carriers, getting the odd kill now and then.

After a minute or so a quarter of them retreated, and the rest ran out of CR trying to get away.

Fuck yeah, two brawlers and a lasher out of that one

I might've killed one third of them in my Shade, I wasn't counting.

this thing spawned right after I defeated previous 2 fleets, oops

How fun would it be if phased ships could hit each other

The easiest way to win against Luddic Path is to spam Talons or other capable fighters... They rarely field their own fighters and fighters are fast enough to catch them.

you could try out x3 for some space truckin'.

Tryador Safeguard Coalition, how is it?

basically repaints

Good looking, has some pretty cool freighters, most interestingly, a capital-sized salvage freighter that can sorta fight.

Also some other cool shit, including a number of vanilla refits.

I only just started it but it seems pretty neat.

good quality kitbash mod, worth using.

AAAAAALLLLEEEXX

>mfw alex is making hyperstorms even worse in the next update
gonna have to just get more fuel and chart a course around them instead of powering through them

>when you finally find that Solar Shielding upgrade and install it on all of your ships

>Sustained burn is going to be worse for plowing through storms
I already do that, I suppose now you'll have to disable sustained burn while at that.

Ain't nobody got OPs for that

Oh boy, time to see what this looks like

What if taking hull damage has a chance of permanently reducing a ship's OP? :^)

Well I have that and insulated engines on every freighter and such. I don't think it's that big of a deal to put on other ships as well, considering I usually get away with running repair unit on my capitals.

I'd rather have hull damage reduce flux stats while in combat rather than risk crippling my ships permanently. If anything, I'd rather make "wasted OPs" D-mod

2ez

What about weaponry? Anything OP to mention? Or do they use only vanilla stuff?

I don't need any PD at the front because lasers eat all annihilators

They add 2 big energy weapons and they seem ok, one is less powerful plasma cannon and second is energy HIL.
That said there's one ship with 12k HE damage missile...

FUCK

ALMOST HAD IT THAT TIME

I WILL WIN THIS

this, endless sky is pretty good. I would say that while combat in general is inferior to starsector, the rest of the game is more polished IMO, and the way new tecs and ships are given to the player is way more smooth

Industry when? Ground/station combat when?

I NEED 0.8.1

never
alex is to drunk

Maybe next patch, which should come in winter, I think. Gap between .7.2 and .8a was the biggest gap between patches.

But it's already winter...

>5 tankers
Why do you need so many? 2 phaetons are enough for my warfleet, and you have a measly patrol.

Maybe on the southern hemisphere, here I'm sitting in 30 degrees being slow cooked

Why wasn't the custom rules fix or whatever for mods not in a hotfix, was Alex actually drunk or something?

>southern hemisphere
you mean outer rim

Some modders got in-dev .8.1 and they can make mods for .8.1 already, so they should be from day 1 or come quickly.

Ah, makes sense then.

That's the salvagers reserves, I'm using 3 drams right now

Is Alex a girl?

He is a robot that converts vodka in [unethicals]

>4 bounties and 2 scan missions in a cluster

Noice

alex is a vodka to game conversion machine

Does console command mod work at the moment? The mods page says it's still on last patch.

thereĀ“s a half fix, go to its thread in the forums and in the last page there should be a link