Quick noobie question o, what does it mean if a car is described as having the "pistons at 40?" Is this good or bad...

Quick noobie question o, what does it mean if a car is described as having the "pistons at 40?" Is this good or bad? Context: looking at a 1986 Corolla

Other urls found in this thread:

newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-toyota-corolla/6278903768.html
cargurus.com/Cars/1986-Toyota-Corolla-Overview-c4171
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only thing I can think of is oversized bore
a by 0.040 inches due to cylinder honing, which probably something you'd hope has been done on a car that old anyway.

Either way that's kind of unprofessional; he should be using full terminology if he's giving tech specs in a sales listing, not using slang like he's shooting the shit about his car with his buddies.

Replaced the pistons at (2)40k miles?

well the car actually only has 165,000 on it... I'm starting to think I might have a real crazy deal here. Is this an AE86 or am I just being silly here newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-toyota-corolla/6278903768.html

The pistons are bent at 40 degrees to increase compression

286 cams? jesus.

also what engine is it if its a 1.8?

hopefully he's not talking about compression test, because isn't 40 PSI low?

This is the thing that's been bothering me. Everything else seems to line up with an AE86 except this...

Most likely a 7age (7afe block with 4age head)

Is this good or bad though?

>286 cams
Rip low end

>dat C O O L V I B R A T I O N S in the background

It's good, increases performance. Stock piston bend is 20 degrees I believe. Also with that camshaft there's going to be no low end power and you may stall at lights

So would that have been (excuse my ignorance) an entire engine swap?

>piston bend

Another likely stupid question but how much would it cost for a mechanic / how terribly difficult would it be for myself to replace the cam back to stock? Some quick research shows I'll probably blow $100 on the stock cam itself but is replacing it feasible?

The cam is right on top. Not easy like changing a spark plug but not hard either, just need to pull the valve cover and timing chain off

All in all though, is this likely an AE86? It really seems like it is to me but I'm not experienced with telling the difference between other cars

I'm not all that familiar with them but I'd guess it is because it seems like the guy's put a good bit of work into it

Just contact the seller and ask for the VIN.

I already did, he probably won't respond till morning, but it looks like the car is unregistered from the last two photos.

Definitely an AE86.

May I ask how you know for sure?

>The pistons are bent at 40 degrees to increase compression

>The pistons are bent

>pistons

>bent

Does this look not bent to you? Now take that bend and increase it. Now you've got more compression

Nothing's bent here. It's tilted because the gudgeon pin can swivel.

Not literally bent but you know what I mean

No I don't. All you have to do is use proper terminology and I'll only be a 10 second Google search away from understanding you.

Sounds fake as fuck desu famalam
But "pistons at 40" most likely means 40 thousandths of an inch (0.040") overbored, so its probably had a rebuild

>spoonfeed me mommy!!1

That's insane. You can barely bore a small block chevy that much

But why does it sound fake? It never claims to be an AE86, just an '86 Corolla

Nigga when the piston and conrod is sitting in a cylinder they align perfectly straight
If it sat exactly like it does in the picture the conrod would bust through the block

What
40 thou is nothing

>286 cams on a weak ass 4banger
>no pics of engine bay

So you make up your own names for things and then accuse anyone who doesn't know what your talking about of wanting to be spoon fed?

Mate, do yourself a favour and go for a quick walk outside, meditate for a coulle minutes, maybe get a nut off, then come back to the thread with fresh eyes and re-read our conversation. I guarantee it'll be instantly obvious how silly you're being right now.

Shady maybe, I did message the guy, hope to hear back tomorrow. If I do I'll ask for more pics but either way it's in-state so this is extremely tempting either way. Would it be worth it if the body was an AE86 regardless of how he fucked up the engine (assuming it runs)?

That's the point. More compression

Don't listen to the dickhead saying the pistons are "bent 40 degrees"

Definitely get more pics and ask him to elaborate
For $2500 it's a pretty good deal

Fuck, we fell for bait.

>hurr durr don't listen to the guy with actual mechanical knowledge talking about specifics related to your engine durr

>with actual mechanical knowledge
Watching Car Throttle doesn't make you a mechanic kid

i-is this the latest Veeky Forums engineering development? how can we make this happen?

Please don't detail our helpful, constructive advice threads. Please go to a shitpost thread or /b/ if you want to troll.

>t. assmad she fell for bait

He doesn't. He thinks 1986 means it's an 86.

>she

Oh man that is a really sick burn how rather than defaulting to the masculine grammatical gender like English normally does you chose a pronoun which implies I have cooties and no benis XD

Seriously dude, are you fucking twelve?

*while it's at top or bottom dead center*

not necessarily he might have just rebuilt the engine (which makes sense since he overbored the pistons) and replaced the head with a 7A

Nigga where is my Hurricane WHOOSH .gif when I need it.

breh we allready got dem methodz

I seriously hope you weren't trying to explain "stroking" an engine

Nah breh it's like stroking but sideways

>getting this assmad over being called a girl
Jeez dewd

Well, I'll post in here if the seller ever gets back to me, with the pics and info he gives me. Now we wait...

Is it summer holidays in America?

Okay now I can visualise the offset you're describing, however:

It would increase the distance between crank and cylinder lowering TDC and BDC, causing higher volume at TDC and therefore lower compression, and possible cause rings to catch the bottom of the cylinder at BDC. Does this mysterious process involve longer conrods?

It would require a completely redesigned block due to the changeD crank position.

Clearance between the cylinder walls and conrod TDC may not allow for an angle as steep as 40 degrees.

Only because it's kind of sexist and obnoxiously juvenile to call someone a girl as an insult.

its called the moment of inertia or some shit

>sexist and obnoxiously juvenile
There's been a lot of /pol/ spillover lately.

Its an AE88. We didn't get the 86 technically, the 86 was 120HP and the 88 was 112HP. Same year, same body, but we got shafted

If its just bored then the head wouldn't be swapped. Its much more likely that he increased the stroke by swapping the 7a block in

and the swap of a block would basically mean an entire engine change right? I mean the block is a hella big part of the engine

What do you mean by we didn't technically get it / we got shafted? Does it still handle the same for all intents and purposes?

Don't listen to him. All that's different is that the stock engine was tuned a little differently for fuel economy/emissions purposes, so it happens to get a little less horse power.

Besides, it's the chassis that was actually worthwhile in the car, and that isn't going to change.

OH THANK FUCK
I FIGURED IT OUT. IT'S CALLED

D E S A X E

CAN WE JUST USE THE RIGHT TERMINOLOGY NEXT TIME PLS?

Oh christ my sides

Yeah a block swap does mean they've swapped the whole engine

>all these (You)s
Thanks boys

>automotive board
>complaining about sexism
Stop being such a girl

Sorry for ignorance once again but how exactly can you tell that this is a crappy cam by the numbers? What do the numbers mean exactly?

Desu idk exactly what the numbers mean but i know that a 280 is a heavy cam even for a v8 so it'd be awful for a 4 banger

opening duration, 360 would be open all around, 0 closed for the entire cycle

Fucking dumbass

Hold on guys, just found an article that says the 86 Corolla could've had a 1.8 engine? So maybe it really is stock minus cam and piston position?

Depends on if it's measured at .050 or .003. Doesn't make a difference of amount of cylinders for a cam

cargurus.com/Cars/1986-Toyota-Corolla-Overview-c4171

it's because when you're 40, your prostate is enlarged so you piss tons.

40 PSI is VERY low, yes.