Please Help Veeky Forums!

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 140,000 miles. The engine runs great but the problem I'm having is that it overheats. It's not leaking and it has plenty of coolant. I've replaced the water pump and coolant temperature sensor and it's still running hot. Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas or suggestions? I really don't want the engine to get damaged.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s--5ft5YiHg
youtube.com/watch?v=E5K1D1iEQO8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What could be causing it?

How hot is it getting exactly? Like the vehicles losing power or what? And are the fans kicking on

It takes like 20 minutes after startup but then it overheats and the temperature gage goes all the way to the end. I turn it off after the warning light comes on to prevent engine damage.

Have you actually verified that the engine is overheating though? Like, with a temperature gun? Or even just putting your hand near it to feel how hot it is (don't fucking touch it, obviously)?

Could be a faulty sensor, Chrysler is notorious for using absolute shit-tier electronics, including sensors. Dodge Caravans eat O2 sensors for breakfast.

Also, could be a problem with your radiator if the sensor isn't faulty. Coolant might be full up but if it's not cycling/cooling properly, then it's not doing anything to help the engine.

Get your radiator checked out? Maybe it needs to be flushed or replaced

Friend had one that was all rusted to shit. Similar problem, though not as severe as yours

youtube.com/watch?v=s--5ft5YiHg

see how much flow you have in the radiator by taking the lower rad hose off and flushing it through, or maybe it's just the thermostat sticking closed.

>how to SUPER clean your car
>how to SUPER flush your radiator
>how to SUPER fuck your own ass with a pepsi bottle

Chris Fix is so gay.

He is pretty gay, but the video is solid info for someone with zero knowledge.

a blown headgasket can show those symptoms

check the oil filler cap for mayo, which is the residue you get when mixing coolant and oil.

>Jeep

Found your problem senpai

>that fucking camber

how unnecessary

did you get all the air out of the cooling system famili?

is your name David by any chance

Did you replace the thermostat when you replaced the water pump?

>Veeky Forums actually trying to help

wtf is going onhere

Also did you check to see if the fan is coming on?

We're shitposting in the other 98% of threads, don't worry.

OP Here.
I replaced the:
Water Pump
Coolant Temperature Senor
Thermostat
I checked for leaks and it has none. The coolant level is also full.

So drain and flush it.

check your radiator cap.

That looks like the next step.
I'm gonna get on that.

Could it be the fan?

did you bleed all the air out of after refilling figt?

4.7? If so i have great news.

YOU ARE FUCKED!!!!

The 4.7 has problems with air being trapped in the system at times, you will need to bleed the system, should be a hex screw on top of the fitting for the top coolant hose. If could also be that a head gasket is on its way out. It can work fine for a while, but will be pushing enough air into the system to cause blockages, this could also be happening at the heater core.

So why do i say you are fucked? Well once a 4.7 has run hot its garbage. Sooner or later you will drop a valve seat. The heads themselves are very very sensitive to heat and will warp pretty damn easily.

Make sure the radiator fan is running when the temp goes over 210F.

If it doesn't the fan or the relay may be the problem.

youtube.com/watch?v=E5K1D1iEQO8

mfw unbeknownst to the buyer i sold a wj with this very problem

let the seller beware

This
I have an XJ and when it was overheating it was due to the electric fan being seized, once I replaced it the thing doesn't over heat anymore

get what you pay for, due diligence, etc.
op shoulda got a 4runner.

Turn on in your driveway, let it idle. Blast your A/C, see if the fan comes on. If not, replace fan relay. If fan comes on, you still overheat, bleed coolant system. After coolant is bled and air bubbles released, go to vatozone and rent a block test and block test fluid. Follow instructions of block test to check for headgasket leak. You could also have an intake gasket leak. Check oil cap for mayo. You replaced: water pump, and coolant temp sensor, idk if you've replaced thermostat or not, replace that. Also, listen for bubbling coolant.

Check to see if you left the e-brake on.

OP Here:

It is a 4.0 Liter Inline 6 Cylinder Engine.

Have you checked the electrician on the radiator? One if then is driven by the crank, check the other one.
If it doesn't turn, I bet that's it

1999+ 4.0 notorious for the 0331 cast head cracking.

But you say you're not loosing coolant.

Make sure you've replaced your thermostat, they're cheap.

Turn the car on with the heater on and bleed the air out of the system, make sure once it gets past 210 or so the electric fan comes on.