youtube.com/watch?v=OwvY2Pl3lfA
implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky
github.com/nodejs/node/issues/12115
w3schools.com/js/js_numbers.asp
youtube.com/watch?v=fQC17aofUVE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What are you listening too, anons? Post a link and some fresh progress

The Smiths

and now the wounds tracker is complete. hopefully i dont need a tutorial to explain to players what it means when the red arrows start appearing

Listening to Junk
youtube.com/watch?v=HNW11EHLF44

Decided to try and slap something together for Monster Jam - a simple little procgen dungeon crawler where you fight monsters. That fits the theme sufficiently, hopefully.

quick, give me something to draw!

Why aren't you making a 3d game?

but i am

A big-chested woman with a lab coat holding a box

gensokyoradio.net

I blended the original locked gold hearts I asked about 2 or 3 threads back with the grey scheme an user suggested and I think I like the compromise.

This whole week has been nothing but art progress for the new character specific HUDs so I won't feel comfortable posting to the Recap and will skip it this week. I am trying to bring up my production values to something that might actually make players interested. Will recap again when I have gameplay or stage progress to show

that guy being launched from the spring in the chair exploding while holding his ass and screaming while coming at the viewer from an extreme foreshortened angle

youtube.com/watch?v=Lz0BGyq8Utw
I'm going through right now and redesigning the placeholder rooms we've been using to test the generation algorithm. Hopefully I'll be able to post the redesigned rooms tomorrow.

Rate this on a scale of one to cute

Todays progress:
-Put Blender on the taskbar
-Saw 3 minutes of a 10 minute video vaguely related to 3d modelling
-Posted on agdg

Who /successfulgamedev/ here? I cant wait to roll in the money from this successful game im going to make eventually. Not today though. Maybe tomorrow I'll open up Blender.
But trust me, I have a lot of ideas!

The problem I could see with this is that you would end up running around random people without interacting with them most of the time.
There would need to be non-player related functions that can cause negative effects if the player does the wrong thing. Like civilians in an area can't see your face, or lots of destructible terrain that can make it easy to accidently kill the wrong person.
Maybe cops that try to hunt you down and kill you if they see you shoot.

Though if there's a respawn mechanic, then it solves the problem of "Large buildup time to sudden game over" that battleground games have

this combined with the new notes system is going to give me a lot more slack for revamping the combat section

now the following things are going into what the player can do in combat:
>items
>notes
>wounds inflicted

so it should provide for some interesting setups

Bookmarked your comment so that I could read it after I'm done working for the day. Lots of stuff being done today so I may be too tired to go through it and may leave it until the morning, but I hope it's news of how good your game development is going!

I know that making a game is unlikely, so I try to build all my game parts in Unity as generic as possible, then I sell them as assets.

I'm working on #4 and make about 2.5K a year from them. Though 95% of that is from 1 asset. My next one is related to networking and making it easy, plus I'll put a game example in it, so I'm hoping that is more likely to sell.

Sometimes I feel unmotivated and don't want to work on the story of my game or dev, but then I come to /agdg/ and see anons posting progress and working hard on their games and it motivates me to work on mine as well.

Keep up the good work, I always look forward to seeing all of your progress you guys make. It's very inspirational.

I'm sick of art. I want to go back to making my game. Got three more robots I need to make after this dude, too.

Listening to
sorrey.bandcamp.com/album/thick-as-thieves

why would you lie on the internet?

I'd have no idea what that read arrow means unless it's pulsing and pointing towards the source of damage like bloody screen in call of duty

youtube.com/watch?v=OwvY2Pl3lfA

Are there ever valid reasons to use doubles of longs in gamedev Anons?

I only use long doubles

>making my final boss
>it has 5 phases
>no saving in between phases
>no healing either
>the fight lasts 30+ minutes over all
>if you die you have to start from the beginning
>mfw

For what purpose?
That's fucking badass if your game is really good and fun, and really shitty and lame if it's bad. Hopefully the former.

>For what purpose?
I was just memeing, it would add more precision, but you obviously want to code in a way precision doesn't matter that much. If possible.

Here's your 4cc VG league update of the day. It's an important one!
---
We got match times!

/agdg/ v. /civ4xg/ (Civilization/General Four X Games)
June 2nd at 18:20 UTC (2:20 PM EST)

/agdg/ v. /egg/ (Engineering Games)
June 3rd at 19:00 UTC (3:00 PM EST)

/agdg/ v. /pg/ (Persona Games)
June 4th at 18:20 UTC (2:20 PM EST)

More details on the qualifiers at implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky Forums_League_8_Qualifiers
If you don't have the time to see the actual matches don't worry, they should be archived somewhere afterwards. I'll point it out afterwards
---
Not much else to say, all the work is in, hope to see you there. Thank you so much for the support we've gotten as well as the shitposts!

have another shitpost

>doubles of longs
the fuck is a double of long?
Doubles have precision loss, Longs do not and are integers. Any integer value above 2,147,483,647 needs a long. If you need more precision than a float and are okay with memory usage, you can use a double.

You can also interpret doubles as longs in structs if you read them from the same memory location. I use this when encrypting my doubles in C#. You can do the same thing for Decimal value which has no precision loss despite being a floating point number. Good for money, and is 2 long values long.

>refunded aerannis
a bittersweet feeling
really wanted to like it

Added in wire trace particle effects I really like how it looks but cant decide on a color

doubles or* longs

I know how they work fundamentally, I'm more wondering if they have any practical uses in gamedev. I feel like in any possible use, you could get away with floats or ints by programming more cleverly, to save the memory. Money is, I guess you should account for players getting more than 2 billion dollars.

I like the orange ones

Precision. You can't store all integer numbers with doubles. This effect is especially visible with large numbers.

I guess try not to think too much about the countless dead games

I can't stand the loneliness anymore. I want to sweat with a team. Where do I go to find serious collaborators? Every time I asked here nobody actually replied except saying "nice art."

as
said
If you need more precision, or if you need more digits.

Though you don't use shorts as you would use ints because the CPU can process int's easier than shorts. I use shorts for networking since you send 2 less bytes.

WoW has an issue with gold and precision. They originally represented money with a integer, which capped gold at like 2 million per character. Youtube had to change their view count to a long because Gangnam Style reached over the limit.

i don't see no nice art

draw a squishy thing one would want to shoot into a bloody blood puddle

nice art

>Youtube had to change their view count to a long because Gangnam Style reached over the limit.

I didnt think that was possible until I just went to look at it. Jesus fucking christ.

Javascript does it lol. People say double can do exact integers up to 2**53. github.com/nodejs/node/issues/12115

post art

-what experience do you have gamedeving? tools, programs, languages, art, etc
-what kind of game do you want to make?

the biggest problem is everyone want to become a millionaire selling ideas

You can get away with a lot, but not everything, even with long doubles.

I recommend checking out competitive programming to get a good feel for that, since a good chunk of problems are based around precision.

javascript handles numbers differently than other languages.
>w3schools.com/js/js_numbers.asp
ints are 15 digits, decimals are 17 digits

3D is a fad.

How do I get out of the copy/paste tutorial phase?

Why aren't you making a VR game?

that or they're not that serious and just want to shoot the shit and tinker around.
something like tigsource would probably be better if you're really serious.

Added thumb tracking to my Elphelt VR thing!

Did you see what those things cost? 500 bucks!

Fill your brain with enough copypastes then combine those copypastes.

I'm still afraid that one day you'll just decide to keep living the rest of your life as Elphelt

I've been around these threads for years and have never heard of tigsource, so probably not a great idea.
Also I'm not accusing him
I'm asking him the questions and also stating a common reason for teams not working.

If you wanna work on a team project with little experience, then do a free open source project. Don't try to profit from it because you'll never find a way to do so with random people over the internet

Quick progress vid before bed - I only had a couple hours to work today but I decided to start on a Monster Jam game. Dungeon generation is functioning so far in terms of pathing and room connections. I also figured out a nice trick for normalizing diagonal movement that doesn't involve and partial pixel movement or jittering - whenever the player is moving diagonally, every 4 frames, they don't move it all. It's basically imperceptible unless you're looking for it, and the net movement speed is extremely close to just hor/vert movement.

There is also about 4 pixels of "corner forgiveness" that slides the player around edges instead of getting hung up on them.

What if I'm a brainlet?

>He didn't look at his tits today.
Why the fuck am I even watching those fucking webms, god fucking damnit.
Keep it coming.

I dont see the problem here

Looks cool user! What did you make it in?

Flush those anime memories out and make room for code learnings.

garbage collect

delet this picture

>tfw your game is literally a copy of 4 other games and it's obvious as fuck

Will people bully me?

But seriously, how does one learn. Do people just read through the documentation and experiment, or do they follow books, or what?

Thanks user

Game Maker: Studio

Once I add jiggly tit physics and grabbable hands I'll give you the webm you deserve

They always bully user

Schools! You can enter schools again, and instead of being an empty black vortex like last demo, they're actually decorated inside and have multiple levels now, gif related

Lolis are registered in a specific school (the one with the closest untaken desk right now) and have their own specific desk in a classroom. So instead of standing inside the middle of the school-vortex like in last demo, they standby their very own desk. I'll have them do an animation of them working once that's drawn later, and going to the washrooms if they have to go, etc. (which could be an opportunity for kidnapping! or just watching the cuties pee...)

just study until you have a basic understanding of a single concept you isolated, then apply it to a small project. something you can do in a sitting or two.

Have you ever learned anything in your life? You fucking do it and look up shit when necessary until you have that shit memorized and then you either look up even more complicated shit or use your building blocks to solve it on your own. Following books and courses can ostensibly help you discover which building blocks are the most fundamental or help you to learn them, but the way you learn is by doing.

MOOOOODSSSSSS!!!!!

Start with Pong, read the documentation and play around with stuff until you know the basics, then it's just a matter of googling specific problems until you have no more problems to google.

>mfw thinking "wouldn't it be cool if I could X in my game" and then code a buggy and mostly useless feature for the next 12 hours as I'm fighting against gamemaker

N- nice

He actually did it the madman.
How come the school gives free entry to molesters?

I went to college and did personal gamedev projects the entire time where I applied everything I was learning. I loved it and still do, so I do it all the time, thus have tons of practice.

Love what you're doing and do it all the time (practice). Identify patterns and improve how you build things. Puzzle and problem solving has to be enjoyable to you. Do you like programming?

What are you trying to do?

Because there's no teachers (yet) to stop hm. When I add in teachers they'll confront him (or more likely, for the time being, just report him to the cops.... who will then come over and shoot him on sight since they have no other reaction right now and can't into severity.)

I'll do a proper suspicion system later.

No rules are broken.

>Do you like programming
Some aspects. My favourite part is probably AI. I'm trying to do a turnbased RPG and creating challenging bosses is like a chess game. I just get bored with the really basic things like creating the GUI

will you ever finish this? is this your life's work?

>who will then come over and shoot him on sight since they have no other reaction right now and can't into severity.)

pedophiles should be shot on sight so I dont see a problem

a game

I'm doing a sci-fi game.

I'm trying to simulate the airflow when a spaceship window gets breached. The player and NPCs get dragged outside automatically. Once the player is outside in space, he can't walk but he can push himself back towards the spaceship by firing his gun in the opposite direction. The player can enter back the spaceship.

worked on the balance system some more.

That's some A Team shit right there

Cool idea

>12 hours
Isn't that normal for amateurs? Took me about that long to implement my lock on ability.

HOLY SHIT YOU ARE STILL ALIVE

why are we here
just to suffer

>GUI
>basic
even with all the practice I have, I hate UI with all my being. I don't consider that to be the fun part

Listening to Feuer Frei. Oddly comforting.

>man slips on ice
Classic comedy gold!

In case anyone missed the other thread, I extended the dialogue system a lot so you can inline control flow within a message block (it executes the message block interpreting thread as if it was a coroutine, so it stops at msg() then waits until the user in the main thread clicks advance dialogue, then it continues reading. same with fork, but with a choice. thus allowing you to inline minor choices without wirting entirely different scenario files.

As I've said many times before, it's slated for a 2023 release.

Yeah I was really busy with work the past half a year or so, but I'm having a bit of free time now.

free game idea: a game where you report pedosim to the canadian police and they catch him and he gets life in jail

its a metroidvania

Thanks man

I just graduated CS in college but this is a pretty old project. My main problem is that I'm not doing any planning before coding. I often have to re-write things I didn't think through and short-term solutions.

youtube.com/watch?v=fQC17aofUVE

Working on remaking my old text game to be less ambitious and more maintainable while my friend and I take a break from our main project
Still looks like garbo though I think. I'm not a good designer

>tfw people tell you that your game should suit their tastes or it's bad
>"developers" that think adding AAA features is trivial

Holy shit I want to go back to being a nobody dev

>its a metroidvania
lost