Dwarf Fortress General - /dfg/

kobold site maps edition

Old: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X0dXyY-VFsA
youtube.com/watch?v=Tfn575rvSf4
youtube.com/watch?v=dmc6KV0_UVM
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation#Terrain_Parameters
youtu.be/AEh5xCw255I?t=44m57s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

elves > dorfs

Latest log:
>05/27/2017
>Just some grinding away this week, including the weapon trap crash that has been around since the last release. The last major step is to get the kobold cave maps up to a point where they are suitable for retrieving artifacts from. I started refamiliarizing myself with the relevant cave/site code today. Aside from that, it's a bunch more random tweaking and cleaning and promises to keep, but at least the end is in sight out there.

Add 4D axis's Tarn.

what

NOOOO!!!
Calculus, my only weakness!

running away and starting a new thread is no way to deal with criticism

What do you even do in this game?

Strike the earth, mostly.

Mate I'm not that user

hit people with a two handed sword while only having one hand

I might even write a story about it

a sequel, in fact

>tfw you will never be a farmer on a comfy beach tending to your crops while giant keas terrorize others in the distance

youtube.com/watch?v=X0dXyY-VFsA

Posting the official DF theme song once again

neither am I

post dee eff music

youtube.com/watch?v=Tfn575rvSf4

What parameters can I fiddle with in worldgen to increase the chance of a flat plain butting up against a sheer cliff face 6 or 7 levels high?

youtube.com/watch?v=dmc6KV0_UVM

So I've been hearing that some sort of magic will be coming around for the next update to DF, what exactly will that entail? Is it going to be a specific set of spells, ritual stuff? Or are we going to get procedural madness like most of the game.

>Urist Macbigby casts "the whirlwind of itching", causing the goblin to explode in to kalonite.

Try the 4d3d3d3 on for size.

Magic will not be in the next update. It will be the one after the next update.

As the other user said, it's not this update. I believe it's supposedly going to be procedural

I tried that but I just see a man dancing, what am I doing wrong?

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation#Terrain_Parameters
Did this not help?

I play the game since 2009 or so. When I first started I used all the faggy utilities newbshits use like the lazy newb pack, then I upgraded to dfhack. Then DF 2012 came along and all the third party utilities weren't upgraded yet so I decided to play vanilla, going back to vpl and not using any graphic packs. I never went back and quite frankly don't even remember nor understand why do some new players are so dependent on these things to play the game.

DF hack still has its uses, but still being completely dependent of LNP and the rapist after years of playing the game is like being an adult and using pic related

Createa fortress starting with seven dwarves, figure out how to keep those dwarves and all of the others who show up alive, then start having !!fun!! once you understand the basics of the game. When you start playing you'll constantly be asking yourself "WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO AND HOW DO I DO IT" but once you figure that part out you realize that you can actually just do whatever the hell you want and it's pretty great. Fair warning, the game requires a lot of time and patience to learn along with a strong desire to minmax (unless you don't want to minmax and are content to allow things being chaotic and inefficient). But once you start playing with a good walkthrough it isn't nearly as hard to get that initial bit down as people make it out to be. Oh and screw what the purists say use the goddamn lazy newb pack or at least dwarf therapist. Managing the labors in game is a colossal pain in the ass and waste of time. Oh yeah and like the other user said there is a lot of earth striking involved.

I more or less agree with the content of your post, but I don't think hour-old bait in the previous thread really warrants a response

playing the game without therapist is a goddamn waste of time. Even toady says the ui is awful and he made the fucking thing. Why dig through 8 billion menus to tell a dwarf to stop fishing when I can use a few clicks in a gui? Not to mention mass enabling or disabling labors. . .

>tfw you will never live in a timbuk drawing.

He's replying to blatant bait but there are people who refuse to play the game until their mods like the rapist are updated, just watch with the next update.

>bait
I don't care. These people unironically exist and I see them all the time in the bay12 forums and in here. That was a daily reminder that they are inferior and should reconsider how they go about their pathetic lives.

why even live?

Those bikes are pretty comfy to ride as a grown-ass man though. I have no regrets.

Making shit up to justify your lack of will to learn isn't healthy, neither is relying on crutches.

>. Why dig through 8 billion menus to tell a dwarf to stop fishing when I can use a few clicks in a gui? Not to mention mass enabling or disabling labors
>. . .
This is quite like saying "why should I press ctrl+c/ctrl+v to copy and paste when I could easily do it with a few clicks with my mouse"? It's actually faster to use the keyboard when you memorize the commands. The UI, at least at the level something like therapist can help you, is shit because it is unintuitive to new players but otherwise it is quite functional.

The only useful thing about the therapist is that you can more easily search for particular skills in your dwarves without having to check for it individually.

Therapist is fine, but you shouldn't have to be dependent on it either. It merely makes things a tad less annoying.

Literally all you'd have to do is u-z v-p-l. That's exactly two menus.

not him, but therapist would be nice to quickly check how many dwarves have X job enabled and other tasks dealing with multiple dwarves.

Did therapist also tell you if your dwarves or animals were non-breeding faggots?

It's fine if you prefer therapist, but some people act like the default UI is impossibly arcane when it's really fucking not

cinnabar as an ore for mercury when

I have a very sad polar bear on my hands. He's been completely distracted with a flashing yellow downward arrow since I purchased him from the tree huggers. I know they're from glaciers and tundras, and we live in a jungle, so there's not much I can do to accomodate him. He's been trained to defend the militia commader as a warbear.

Is there anything I can do to make my bearo happy? Does he just want something to kill?

Toady coded them not to eat, so I can't please him with my variety of exotic meats.

>therapist would be nice to quickly check how many dwarves have X job enabled and other tasks dealing with multiple dwarves.
>Did therapist also tell you if your dwarves or animals were non-breeding faggots?
Yes and that's the general use for it. Still, quite unecessary unless you really anal about what kind of jobs your dwarves do.

I usually have a class of genalized peasant have most of farming jobs + hauling enabled and another of of engravers if I want to smooth my entire fortress' floors and walls. So, most important jobs like masonry, carpentry, crafting and metalworking are made by maybe around 10 specialized dwarves. This is a set up that can be done very easy on vpl and so effective I can't think of a reason to change it much.

don't get me wrong, I use v-p-l because I don't feel like alt tabbing on my surface would be worth it. Just saying that there are some things that could make therapist preferable to certain people (not just casual shitters).

What I wouldn't do from a bristly moustache kiss from a busty dwarven barmaid.

I heard animals get distracted because they can't pray in a temple kek
I recommend the manipulator plugin. It's like the rapist but ingame and for the keyboard.

*for

I am drunk and bad at df but at least I actually play this game.

Looks comfortable as fuck

>Even toady says the ui is awful and he made the fucking thing.
He's also not selling you anything, so being honest about his work doesn't hurt him financially. The UI is functional, and I wouldn't call it terrible; it just needs cleaning up a bit. It works because it's not trying to do anything but function.

youtu.be/AEh5xCw255I?t=44m57s

post your graphics/color scheme

> quite unecessary unless you really anal about what kind of jobs your dwarves do

>not being anal about the jobs your dwarves do
gg

>dark text on dark background
6/10

>>not being anal about the jobs your dwarves do
>gg
Playing the game wrong bro. There's a reason the default popcap is over 200, you're not supposed to worry about minmaxing every single profession to the point where there's 0 idlers 24/7.

This. Even Toady and Threetoe talked about how players logically would make peasant classes for unskilled labor like hauling in the last DF talk they did.

If you have enough dwarves where you'd need something like therapist to individually set up each and every individual's job, it would actually be more effective to just either start drafting the useless idlers or turn them into packmules.

I wonder if anybody has created vault 120 in dwarf fortress

Keeping animals pastured in a tavern is, in my experience, 100% successful at keeping them from becoming distracted. I've never seen a distracted animal become undistracted, though. You could try it.

Considering how they're heavy drinkers and constantly working hard, not to mention underground is usually hotter than the surface, dwarves must get super sweaty. Combine that with the vomit, stale booze, shitton of animals and various dried bloodstains, the average dwarven fortress should smell so fucking awful I can't even imagine.

Anyone know of a plugin to auto manage farm plots? like just planting whatever seeds you have, then switching to a different plant when it runs out of seeds. And auto fertilizing, etc

Cave adaptation is really all about the scent.

IRL midieval life was smelly as fuck too
Just replace vomit with shit

True, but at least humans live aboveground. Imagine walking into a dwarven dormitary with 20 unwashed dwarves and a bunch of pets. The smell being magnified by the close space would be deadly.

Ventilation and hot springs when?

I guess it's time to start modding in piss and shit contaminant responses for virtually every social interaction.

There's no way to mod in an on-sight negative thought when they see people's self-emitted substance on the floor, is there?

Speaking of, you still around, modanon?

>get hotsprings by keeping magma a few tiles away from water
>if there's too much nearby the water will start to boil
>tfw you will never shoot scalding hot water and steam at goblins

Fuck if you could designate a location for public baths, like a tavern or library, and let dwarves wash away their cares that'd be great.

>He felt pleasure after soaking in hot springs
>He feels invigorated after sitting in a sauna

If they have a water source like a river or pool, they'll take baths and be satisfied.

I think there actually is a happy thought associated with dwarves getting cleaned by water. They just rarely do it voluntarily...

2 AM is real memeing hours

>Not having all keycombinations memorized

I use the pack still, it's nice to be able to control fortress population and some other variables at startup. The sounds are nice to break up the tedium. Other than that only DFHack is actually important. Autolabor works pretty well, so I can focus on manager task loops and satisfying noble demands, which tend to be excessive as it is. Autobutcher is a godsend when managing animal populations, you can keep say ten breeding stock and the excess goes straight into the leather industry without having to continuously check up on the size of the herd, neglect of which can cause lag death.

I could really give a fuck about who does most tasks to be honest. If I ever need specialization I can just use workshop profiles or burrows. Search is also extremely beneficial in the menus that don't have it natively yet.

Gentle, tender loving?

delet

No. Magma and steel will solve any elf related problems
>Captcha: POUR Sunbeam
>mfw even Google knows what must be done to elves

What determines the backlog of announcements/reports? Is there anyway to edit it?

a tiny addition you should have made

You did a thing there (thumps up)

If I build walls or floors out of glass blocks can dwarves see through them?

There's no functional difference between glass walls/floors and any other wall/floor

lame

whats the DFHack fix for when things don't unfreeze during the summer?

>tfw you have a dream where you're a dwarf going through the fort doing dwarf things
wew

go into your init files and activate temperature again.

it doesn't even fix lag, and it causes weird shit like what you describe

where did ninedots go ;-;

I wish I knew

no, thats not it

its spring and reading 10000 urists, which I think is suspicious because it is the exact tempature at which water freezes.

Fucking Masterwork is a mess.

I guess I can play the old Masterwork.

Its so weird without the trees though.

Threadly reminder

FTFY

Modanon here, posting all of my stuff as usua-oh wait they are in OP now, Thanks!

Im still around, havent been posting with my name too much though but chances are if you've asked any modding related question ive given you an answer.

Masterwork is really really buggy and the files are super messy. Im not sure if any of the stuff has been fixed (judging by the posts here the answer seems to be no) but back when i played it in 2015 or so it had alot of weird fuckery going on.

>''Creatures are now randomly turning into scarecrows, water seems to be appearing out of nowhere, my dwarves have their bodyparts randomly swell up, rot etc... dead creatures are coming back alive as undead and my dwarves are randomly berserking. What is going on?!??''

I still have no clue exactly what was going on but my bet would be that a necromancer attacked by fort and because of the fucky way masterwork handles secrets he also happened to know every single other type of magic there is so he would be flinging every possible spell there is in masterwork while being completely invisible to me and all of my dwarves even if they got right ontop of him because magic.

Also had an embark once where every single tile would flash between every possible material in the game from vomit to adamantine to wood to magma even when unpaused. I unfortunately no longer have the gif of that but it was really nauseating to watch every single tile in your embark flash in different colors at the speed of light.

I'm immigrating to Sweden---

Which city?

that's not a happy story drew

It was quick. A flash of red to be more accurate.

Requesting plump helmet man memes

Holy fuck anons.

I just had the strangest fucking case of that "sparring teleport" bug ever.

So first, I noticed that one of my marksdorfs was in the hospital, right?

So I checked in the combat log. Pic related.

This is the entire combat log for that. When I checked the location, it brought me to thebottom of my central shaft, which is about 20 levels deep.

But that's not all.

Just before that combat log, you see this sparring log.

The two of them didn't actually spar. Instead, the marksdorf happened to get in the way when the speardorf charged at another soldier.

The weird shit comes in when you check the different locations for each event.

Before I show you anything else: here's where they are sparring.

The area should be totally safe. I occationally see them teleport into the hollow walls, but that's it.

Now let's go through that sparring log, shall we?

During the initial "leaps at" message, they are still where they should be.

However, when I go to the location of the "looks surprised" mesage, the game takes me here.

The food stockpile. For your information, this area is 5 z-levels below the barrack, and almost 20 tiles north of where they were sparring.

During the "collides with" message, they were still in the same spot as in the "surprised" message.

However, when I go to the location of the "tumbles backward" message, the game takes me here.

To the middle of the fucking central shaft, yet again almost 20 tiles nort of the last place.