Broke As Shit - Broken Exhaust

Hey guys I have a piece of exhaust pipe that broke in two places. 1) directly off the inlet side of the muffler and 2) the flexjoint. It should also be noted the aluminum wrap around the flex joint is completely gone.

Dilemma. I have gotten three quotes and they all quoted me over 600$-850$. WTF. I cant even afford 200$.

I want to do a ghetto ass red neck repair until I can get a second hand muff/tail and inlet pipe w/ flex joint from the scrap yard.

I was thinking of sticking one end back into the inlet hole of muffler and JB welding it. As far as the flexjoint side...I was thinking of buying a 15$ repair clamp and clamping the joint, and then maybe wrap heat mesh/strap arround the whole repair clamp and flex joint.

In total the materials wouod coast maybe 30-35$.

Tenporary fix.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

consumerreports.org/car-safety/nhtsa-widens-investigation-into-ford-explorer-exhaust-leaks/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is the end that broke out of muffler.

This is the other end of pipe that has flex joint. The entire broken pipe is about 3' long.

Here is where flex joint broke from. You can still see freyed aluminum mesh/wrap

You can just tiger tape a soup can on that flex part but the part where it pulled out of the muffler is pretty fucked. You can try a shitload of JB Weld but it probably won't hold

>tiger tape
This. I'm two years in.

As long a carbon monoxide isn't entering the cabin you don't need anything beyond the resonator.

What if I were to get a 3 1/2" adapter and cut one end in 6 slices and bend the tabs back as a sort of makeshift flange. Then i can drill pilot hopes through the tabs and muffler and selftap screw it t muffler. Then i can slide pipe into that makeshift flange/adapter.

Why would carbon monoxide be entering the cabin? The exhaust pipe is under the vehicle.

Good point. I'm sure your rusty shitbox is air tight. Happy idling!

Its a 2010 ford. Its the original exhaust system.

Im not trying to be insulting im actually confused and curious why carbon monoxide would enter the cabin.

It's lighter than air, so it rises. If you're idling and your exhaust syten ends beneath the car instead of behind it, that carbon monoxide can seep through any of the many holes and cracks in every car. Think panel gaps and wiring holes. No car is airtight.

>car isn't even 10 years old
>already consumed by rust

PISSING MYSELF LAUGHING

>Has never owned a shitbox with a leaky exhaust

Why are you on this board

Just use metal ducting and aluminum tape or something like exhaust wrap

heat rises. exhaust is hot.
>it's a ford
even worse
consumerreports.org/car-safety/nhtsa-widens-investigation-into-ford-explorer-exhaust-leaks/

When you live in the north you must go through harsh winter months. How does the municipalities destroy ice on roads? Salt. Salt destroys cars. Then you get the typical rainy springs.

Living in mid and south states is much more forgiving.

What third world country do you live in where a basic job like that is quoted above $400.

maybe you could cut and make notches to twist it on, then jb weld it not to spin

you could also make a notch or two to go on the outside and that might help hold it

Good idea. I might just attempt this.

Why is this a thread? Wire brush away as much fucking rust as you can, slap a sheet of 18 gauge steel on the back of the muffler. Tack it, cut a hole, then weld the pipe on the sheet. You do at least have some kind of shifty welder, right?