How are old preludes? This one is for sale @ $600 near me

How are old preludes? This one is for sale @ $600 near me.
>82k miles
>automatic
>hasn't been registered in 8 years
>transmission doesn't shift into 4th
The registration isn't a huge problem, I can just salvage it for like $150 to clear the back fees.

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1988-honda-prelude-si-parts/6291371530.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nI8EsRkQTpY
inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-honda-prelude-si-4ws/6287348238.html
rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3933327&cc=1275331&jsn=393
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Interior looks comfy af

Damn, if it wasn't automatic that's a really good deal.

The A/C's are over-engineered. They just fucking suck, and the replacement parts haven't been made in well over a decade. What that means is, if you get the Red Light of Death on the A/C button, you're fucked right straight in the ass.

The A/C compressor shares the same belt as the alternator. Because of this, Honda decided to put a sensor on the compressor to monitor RPM's. That way, if the compressor locks up or isn't spinning right, it won't take the alternator out with it, allowing you to still drive the car.

I guess they thought this was a good idea, because serpentine belts really weren't a thing yet, so they wanted to play it safe.

Anyway, that circuit is FUCKING FRAGILE. They ain't cheap, either. And if yours goes out, because they haven't been made since the 90's, good fucking luck. IF, and that's a big fucking IF, IF you find a NOS part, prepare your anus. And don't be surprised if that fails in a couple years, too.

But other than that? God I miss mine. I had an 89 Si with a 5 speed that was just dead fucking sexy. I sold it because it needed a clutch, and the clutch job was about what the car was worth. At the time, I didn't have the tools or even an appropriate area to do the job myself. Other than the non-functional A/C because of that stupid fucking module, it was a blast to drive. Had I gotten the 4WS version, I would have never sold it.

Good to know senpai. I like the 80's aesthetic overall and it looks like they get decent mpg as well. The transmission is the main problem. 5 speed swap is a huge hassle, and if it needs a rebuild that's another $1k easily. Or maybe it just needs new trans fluid and will be a sub-$1k comfy commuter

There's no nig-rig bypass for the A/C failure on the net somewhere? if it's that big of a problem I thought someone would have figured it out by now.

Die racist

Nope. No nigger rig. If you wire the A/C clutch directly, it'll never turn off, and your evaporator will freeze up. Now you're double fucked.

I guess someone could get creative with a 555 timer and cycle it though. Run 60 seconds, off 15, or something like that. Just look at a functional unit, see what the normal on/off cycle is.

My '89. My god she was a sexy bitch.

Damn Veeky Forums I thought I was the only one around here that liked 3rd gen preludes!

Always wanted a cheap one to turn into a shakotan prelude like pic related

kys

Seriously, anybody that does that to a B3ST GEN deserves to fucking die.

Fuck you they look great asshole

youtu.be/nI8EsRkQTpY

no they dont

ew

inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-honda-prelude-si-4ws/6287348238.html

>retrofitted ac unit
>4ws
>busted timing belt

Good deal, user?

You're ew

>salvage it for like $150
How does that work?

The 4WS is literally the only thing that car has going for it. It would make for a great parts car to retrofit a standard Si to 4WS. If I still had my 89, I'd beat the guy down to $350, and buy it to part out.

what the fuck is wrong with you

Hey man, you seem to know a fair deal about A/C. I have a 1991 Corolla shitbox with no A/C and it's horrible to drive in summer. Couldn't find any compressor units for relatively good prices.

Can one retrofit A/C units from other cars?

No such thing as can't. That's why they make torches and hammers.

But serious answer is yes, an A/C compressor is an A/C compressor. They all work pretty much exactly the same way, no matter who makes it.

Though they are pretty daunting at first, a car's A/C system is actually one of the simplest systems in an automobile. There are really only 7 parts to one:

>compressor
>high pressure line
>condensor
>orifice tube/expansion valve
>evaporator
>dryer
>low pressure line

If you are good and can retrofit a bracket and then have custom high and low pressure lines made up to adapt your Toyota to say a GM Harrison compressor, then yes, it will work fine. The only problem there is, by the time you fabricate a bracket and have the new lines made up, you could have just bought a compressor from Rockauto or whatever.

Oh, one more thing: whenever you replace a compressor, depending on how it failed, I strongly suggest pulling the condenser and running Xylene through it to clean out any shit that the failing compressor may have thrown. Also, always change the dryer and orifice tube/expansion valve. They tend to collect shit on them as well.

Please stop posting this rice shit.
You must be over 18 to post here

Dude: Rockauto for your car a full fucking kit including a compressor, expansion valve, drier and all the o rings is $165! What are you waiting for?

rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3933327&cc=1275331&jsn=393

Fuck, even if you go hole haw and replace the entire system including new lines and a new condensor, you're still only talking another $170.

You can have an entirely new A/C system on your car for $350, with the only thing not replaced being the evaporator. Luckily, evaporators will last the life of a car. I can't remember ever hearing of one going bad, not even when a Ford get the Black Death.

Well i like mine, but it's not autotragic

They look great stock. Get this bullshit out of here.

t. nigger

>shakotan
>rice

You know how I know you're a 16yr old that thinks everything is rice..

Subaru realized this and ran the A/c off of a separate belt.

Somebody in my family bought an 88 2.0Si new

Put over 450k miles on it (odometer broke) years before the car was junked.

The only major repair it required was a replacement engine around 270k miles after a mechanic lied about replacing a timing belt and it snapped. They are interference engines.