Defender

Hey folks, I have a 1991 Defender in beat up but drivable shape that I'd like to take to California to fix up.

Problem is, it has a LT1 engine swap with no real emission equipment. Plus side (?) the current Oregon title has it registered as a 1961 vehicle. Am I screwed or can I register it?

Other urls found in this thread:

dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't think you have to pass emissions for a pre '76 but not an actual califag so my advice means nothing.

Right, sadly there's a pre-1980 super old Rover VIN (146101244), and I am not sure if I can register it wit that / if they'll check the engine, which is a Chevy from '94.

Could I sweet talk my way through the DMV without modern VIN on it?

You should be able to get it registered, but if you ever wreck it you are going to be fucked, especially if you injure someone.

Why is that? Registerable means insurable, surely?

Bump?

Sure, until you wreck it, the insurance company sees it's obviously not a 1961, sees the vehicle does not have the correct VIN, and leaves you on your own to pay all damages

It does have the correct VIN, but the whole thing is a mishmash of various parts from various years.

So far according to my research it seems it'll probably fly because it's been registered out of state for a while. So I should be able to just do the registration and they'll give me a new title, with no inspection.

Then you need to tell your insurer that and ask them to re-evaluate your policy. Best case - they update everything and maybe your premiums change a bit. Or they cancel your policy and you need to look elsewhere for insurance.

Worst case - you don't tell them and then have an accident/make a claim. They find out the car isn't at all what they thought they were insuring, and deny your claim outright. Your policy is cancelled and you lose a percentage of the premiums you've paid (usually they will refund the balance).

Now you can go apply for insurance somewhere else, and on the application they'll ask if you've ever been refused/declined/cancelled insurance in the past 5 years. Now you can answer yes, and then explain why, and then they'll see you're a liar and either not give you insurance or give you high premiums.

I am not asking about insurance, I want to know if CA will not let me register a Land Rover Defender if it's put together with various parts.

I presume they'll go by year on the title, not the various parts.

You can register just about anything if you haven't modified the original STRUCTURE of it. As long as the frame and body are original, it's pretty hard to discount yourself from registration with just a change in the guts. They're all normal street parts anyways, I assume.

Also, don't ignore the insurance thing. You can get extra fucked if you end up injuring someone and your policy is voided for misrepresentation. Have fun getting sued for literally hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars and spending the rest of your natural life paying it off.

Especially in CA, full of spics who sue you at the drop of a hat.

Yes, the frame itself is a 1961 frame. Then on top of that 1991 Defender parts, and in it a 1994 LT1 engine. So the registration sure enough states 3-door car from 1961. Oregon is simple like that.

I suspect California won't be.

The parts it has doesn't matter if its a 1961 frame. Anything pre-1976 is free game, no smog or safety inspections.

So you're super lucky OP.

dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg

>A specially constructed (SPCNS) vehicle does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

WHAT ARE ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLES?

>In California, under the year of manufacture (YOM) program, an antique vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured at least thirty-nine years ago.
>The State defines a custom-built vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using new or used parts. Custom vehicles are registered with the make as "custom-built."

Your vehicle should be fine to register under normal parameters - it's not considered custom, special, though it MAY be antique. You would honestly have to pose this info to the DMV and see which way they wanted to evaluate it. I'm sure you could get rego for it though.

Even if the VIN is on the firewall? That's the only place the VIN is.

Its a 1961. Doesn't matter. I wouldn't even mention anything. No real difference between this and a 1970 Beetle or 1972 240Z that's been retrofitted with newer parts.

>people who think the win comes from the frame
If the VIN number is on the body and it runs as 1991, tough shit. It'll have to pass smog and inspection.

The 1991 VIN is on a brake booster under the hood, the 61 VIN on the firewall.

None of your descriptions make any sense. If the frame is a 61 and the body is a 91 the firewall VIN would say 91. Why did you call the car a 91 in the OP? The only 91 part on the car is the brake booster? If you can't actually spell out what's going on with this car then there's no point asking reg questions about it.

Then you /should/ be good to go. The only VIN which matters is the one on the body.

But it all depends on who inspects the vehicle and the people at the DMV and that's a huge variable.

shut up faggot no one likes you