Cost of owning a BMW

So basically, I have the opportunity to own a 2001 325i for $1500 (including what is owed on the plates). My boyfriend has owned this car but doesn't drive it because he owed on the plates. Right now, there's nothing wrong with the car, except for the passenger window doesn't go down (which is not a huge deal to me)

I've always wanted a BMW like this one, but I do wonder how much it would cost to own. I'm only 19 and I'm by no means rich - however, I do have a job and my expenses are low.I don't mind spending money on the car in order to keep it in good condition, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into. Anything in particular to watch out for?

if something goes wrong, do you plan to wrench it yourself, or send it to the shop?

my buddy had an 01 3 series, cost him about 3k over three years. The big thing is the water pump

Electronicz really, I'd highly suggest spending a couple hours on the internet learning about the year and model you'll get a much better picture than from the posters here.
It has been in my experience bmws require lots of care, and if something does go bad it will be expensive, so if you're not good at saving up money for future repairs I'd say it's probably not worth owning for very long. Also if you plan to wrench budget tools as well as parts.

Are you pitcher or catcher?

>boyfriend
tits or gtfo.

Likely send it to the shop. However, my coworker is a mechanic - really awesome guy. I will ask him if it's something he'd be willing to work on, as I know it's good to have a mechanic friend with these sorts of cars.

Doesn't sound too bad.

So I should be wary of electric issues? I know the window regulator will probably need to be fixed.

Both

see above

325i is shit. Get a 330 or don't bother.

Learn how to do your own oil and spark plugs, the only other things are the hoses and water pump but you can get away with having a shop do it since they last a good while

I don't get why 3 series are so cheap now. I feel like it must be a trap.

It’s better than any other car I’ve owned before

I would be willing to try my hand at basic repairs, I’m guessing that this is stuff you can look up online

you literally have to change every part with rubber. And I'm saying this as a owner of one

Much like any other 15 year old car?
Wow what a concept

>coolant hoses
>every 4 years

fucking bmw and their biodegradable shit

Maybe, but I had older polo before, and every rubber part was in good condition. The worst thing in that car was rattling plastics and fucking rust

>I’m guessing that this is stuff you can look up online
Yup, get yourself a basic socket set, breaker bar, spark plug socket and a torque wrench and you'll be good to go

Ehh I know it's annoying but fuck it, they're really fun cars so it's more than worth it to me

Mostly it's the EU mandates not their fault

>I’m guessing that this is stuff you can look up online

Unlike most people who go "I don't know anything about cars, i'm helpless"

You have the right attitude. I don't see why you couldn't own it.

The basic car is better than everything you've owned but this example isn't. Any 325i for that price if going to be beat to shit and not worth owning at any price.

>My car is 15 years old this year
>had to change a radiator hose

damn youuu

nothing bmws are bulletproof

You aren't giving the other option. Is 1.5k your car budget? If so it's usually good to buy from someone like your bf that wont rip you off. I think you'd have a hell of a time finding a car that works for 1.5k.