Audi A4 B6 1.8T quattro vs 3.0V6 quattro

Hey all, I am not sure if many of you are driving some of these cars, but since I wont be able to get an B6 S4 in the near 2-3 years I am trying to decide between 1.8T and 3.0V6. I know that the 3.0V6 cannot be modified a lot, while 1.8T has a lot of potential. The quattro is a must, manual is preferred, but I can live with Tiptronic.. maybe. I don't want to reach some insande HP, but I was thinking 250. 1.8T will need a lot to get there, while the B6 can be get there with intake and exhaust. Any advices?

1.8t nevAr lose

>buying a what then would be a 15y/o turbocharged german car from the early 2000s

Worst of all worlds, and are likely to be driven for 100s of thousands km beforehand. Unless you have previous knowledge of the owner(s) or have a family member at an (audi) auto shop, Id probably look elsewhere. If you absolutely must have one, look around audi forums for what basic maintenance costs are, also changing major bits like timing chain, gaskets, suspension parts etc. Dont forget to add work costs unless you want to wrench on it yourself.

Dont have one, but Ive heard some wild costs from associates that bought themselves a 10y/o german "limousine" for a few grand, thinking they were hot shit. Next thing you know, the thing is sitting in front of the house because they cannot keep up with the maintenance costs when something goes to shit every few months (or more often). Better yet, they say fuck it and sell it back and it gets sold to the next unlucky fellow.

Be satisfied with 200 bhp and enjoy the 1.8t for the very robust little engine that it is with decent gas economy.

1.8t's and 1.9tdi are stellar and reasonably cheap to maintain. You're talking out of your ass just because you saw that one picture of the s4 with it's wonky timing chain.

I am a fan of 1.8T for sure. I am driving an A3 8L quattro 150hp and I am amazed of the car.. but I want Torsen. I live in Sofia, Bulgaria in the mountain neighbourhoods and I need quattro, also I love AWD.
I got a good mechanic and some discounts for parts, so maintenance is not a big deal I can also do couple of stuff by my self.
I don't care if its an old car, I like cars from the beginning of 21st century.

For the timing chain, if you buy good parts for around 600-700 euros, you wont be thinking about the chain for around 100 000km. My cousin has an A8 4.2V8 and it appears very reliable. I want to try the V, as well.

It's the guides nigga.

>who was 2000€ repair for catastrophic turbo failure

Define reasonably cheap. OP is a person that will be able to afford a 6000€ car in two-three years.

I run the 1.8T in my TT and it's more than enough power for a small car, like the A4 is. It's light on low end, off the line power but when the turbo spools up it takes off like a raped ape and it makes a lovely low growl through the range. The thing that surprises me too is the highway passing power. If you need to get around granny's Camry you just step into it, the Tiptronic drops a gear and you're gone.

I can get a k03 and k04 repaired for about 300 euros in Bulgaria.

what it's maintenance. 1.9tdi's rack up high mileage numbers like no other. There's your proof.
its the bits that end up in your engine that fuck you over

Yea, but which engine? :D I got a friend with S3 AMK 209hp and it is fast. Also even on my car, downshifting and getting the engine at around 4K rpm makes passing a pleasant thing. Doing the same on my other car - golf mk3 1.6 IS NOT :D

1.8T can get up to 300HP with just a test pipe and stage 2 tune.

My 2.0TFSI is estimated to be around 350 at the wheel with an APR stage 2, so if you're looking for cheap and comfy speed, get the turbo.

If you get to that point I agree.
About 1.9TDI - before I got the A3, I had an Ibiza 1.9TDI 110hp - 800 000km, dynamic as fuck, my engine dropped, but it was because some idiot forgot a bolt.

I dont doubt you, but try that in Austira where the minimum wage is 5 times that of Bulgaria. You would pay out the ass for work, even if you could get better price for parts. OP didnt specify location.

Ah, Bulgaria, where houses that dont have exterior paint arent considered houses and thus are exempt from tax. Lovely beaches, too.

I heard a lot of shit about the TFSI engines.. lubrication, injectors..

I am the OP and I am from Bulgaria. I earn 1000 euros a month and its pretty decent for the shit life we got here.

>1.8 TSI Leon FR went to shop for rattling turbine after half a year of ownership.

Yup, Im waiting for the next thing to fail. Hopefully within warranty.

>OP here
Since they got direct injection, changing the injectors is hell. I can do it on my engine with 2 beers and 3-4 cigarettes ,but for the TSI/TFSI etc, you need to waste a whole day and mechanics here charge 50 euros per cylinder

>OP here, but I have side incomes, as well and my family got some estate.

Is it related to the carbonisation? How long do they typically last? Looking up vids of 1.8 and 2.0TSI engines and turbos getting carbonised gives me goosebumps.

Sorry for shitting up your thread, Im the guy who posted the 2k catastropic turbo failure, Know a guy who had it happen on an A3 TDI. Car went to limp mode, got to the shop doing 20kph, didnt damage much else.

>OP here
I am looking at the 3.0V6, because it has 7sec 0-100 time and I think it will keep me smiling until I get the S4. Also I can get intake and exhaust to make it little bit faster. On the other hand I can decide to make the 1.8T a beast.