Just bought a Phaeton

Bought a used '06 Phaeton with 110K miles on it, under $10K. 4.2 V8. Former certified pre-owned car. Love it so far but it's only been a few days. I know the W12s can be a nightmare.

What am I really in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/
yourmechanic.com/article/the-most-and-least-expensive-cars-to-maintain-by-maddy-martin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>a volkswagen

Fuck, I'll be the one to say it:
Good job, user. It's a good car.

Although even if you tap out on a repair and take it to the dealership... only certain dealerships can touch them

Dude, of course, but goddamn. Sit in one. It's like a bank vault.

Something about under the radar large German sedans give me an erection.
Good shit op, hopefully it doesn't become a nightmare

Makes me miss my b5 2.8

Yeh I know, looking forward to seeing what kind of stuff requires a dealer to interfere. I prefer my local technician because they know what they're doing and they're a small business, but I wonder just how much will be proprietary.

it shares its platform with the Bentley Continental

The VW dealer i worked for had 36 techs, ONE was certified to touch the Phaeton. Loved that car as soon as I sat in one

Thanx man, I hope it doesn't get wily. I'm one of those Buy American fags so I rarely look at VW/Merc/BMW 'cause of the naturally high maintenance costs. Now I understand why people like them.

I have been lusting after a nice Phaeton though for a year or so since depreciation hit them like a ton of bricks.

ayo. I need your assistance on the vws.
Could you answer a few questions for me? It would be mucho helpful to have someone who has worked in that setting

just get vagcom. your interior better be mint because those pieces are the most expensive to replace. engine and suspension parts were spread out between the phaeton, a8, and bentley so they're cheaper

OP here, dude in is someone else. Interior in the one I bought is pretty immaculate aside from a stuck ashtray. I think I lucked out on the car. That said, is there a good recommendation on where to get one of those vagcom things? Popped up on some forums I was reading and now I'm curious.

Yeah I was wondering who that response was about. Anyways if you can answer some questions that would be great

store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

obdeleven is another option. it's cheaper up front but can cost extra depending on how you use it. deutsche auto parts will be your friend.

The tpms system is known to fail and the air struts are known to fail. Idk which year they fixed this but if you have to replace 1 strut you have to replace both since they're linked or something like that. That's all i remember because i was planning to get one used but the maintenance prices were way too spooky

>store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

Dude, thank you! Much appreciated.

Yes but it looks plain and simple, not ostentatious at all
It always depends on the ownership. My 1998 audi a4 was meticulously maintained and suffered zero issues past 100k until the 140k when I junked it, and that was only due to a hit and run that costed more than the cost of the car, and at the time I didn't have the best insurance

are new vw jettas reliable as well as cheap to maintain? I feel like vw gets a shit rap because cars like this but I have no idea. I have heard in the past that they are expensive af to run

Uh, not really. Things are certainly better than they were from a reliability standpoint, but VW still commits the cardinal sins of outrageous parts and labor costs. You can save at least a little bit of money if you get your hands on some good diagnostic software, at least.

Yeah its so conflicting. Some people are like they are expensive others are like they were in the past but are fine now. Its fucking hysterical how crazy it is. Oddly enough I think subarus are more expensive to run

>literally Fiat-tier reliability

And that's with VW fanboys screeching that the German-built ones are actually fine and it's the Mexican-built ones that are such utter shit.

If that's true, it means any VW not built in Germany has to be one of the least-reliable cars you can buy.

And you're still looking at BMW parts cost

I've always seen Subies be no more or less reliable than anything else out there. Lots of wrench turners I know tend to hate boxer engines. No one likes doing head gaskets, especially when that work is essentially doubled.

Yep, the car can be engineered to the moon, but that doesn't mean it's engineered well.

This is the list i was referencing
yourmechanic.com/article/the-most-and-least-expensive-cars-to-maintain-by-maddy-martin

Subaru and Volkswagen are like close. Mind you this list is over 10 years

This list is stupid because it doesn't reference what car they are talking about...just automakers. Subaru is also below industry standard yet some fucking how infamous shitbox makers are in the top. GMC in the top 4? yeah fucking right

I can get the diesel one for 7k euro senpai still dont want to risk it

These things are fucking terrifying once something goes wrong.

Kek

The Jetta isn't listed separately to the golf in the TUV test reports but the golf is 25th, ahead of the Mazda 3 in 26th, Yaris in 29th, Auris in 37th, Civic 43rd and Focus 66th. (Based on a minimum of 500 vehicles inspected by the TUV.

Using JD Power, ever.

>2016
The car was made in 2006.
That being said is old volkswagens are good cars the newer ones not so much.

Their reliability took a huge nosedive during the early 2000s though, with things like the B5 Passat and mk4 Golf. Later cars sorted most of those issues out, but early mk5 Golfs and B6 Passats were riddled with problems again.
They've slowly been improving over the last 10 years or so.

>Mitsubishi cost of ownership
>that low

True Veeky Forumstist's car.
Great buy, i'm guessing you're gonna love the shit out of it.
Truly a car you buy for yourself. not to impress others.

I always thought the mk4 and the B5 passat are reliable cars in Europe at least. Early 1.8VT Engines and the 1.9 TDI are good but in the later models the 1.9 TDI had fueling and injector issues I believe and the 1.8VT was made of worse materials in the later versions

They were VW's attempt at moving upmarket, so the Passat was basically a downbadged Audi and required all the maintenance of one. That and they started adding a whole lot more electronics, which were never really their strong point to begin with.

Based on my W12, ridiculously comfortable miles, people thinking it's a Passat and a fuel bill to cripple Trump.