Cop checking vins?

I'm sick of paying for 3 cars insurance and registration. Also one of my cars won't ever pass emissions. 2 of my cars are literally the same. both are black e36 sedans, except one is 5 years older and exempt from emissions.

Question is, if I run the same plate for both of those cars, what are the odds a cop will ever check the vin during a routine traffic stop? Has anyone ever had their vin checked by a cop?

I'm white by the way.

Why not sell the emission needed e36?

>living in a place with emissions testing
sucks to suck.

It is a swapped drivetrain, the conversion was not done with emissions in mind. I would need to source a new harness and equip the car with all the necessary emissions items and sensors.

no shit, thats why I bought the emissions except car.

I have two of the same model year and version of my dirt bike.... I only register/run one plate between the two.

They are both 93 klx 650c s, he's not gonna know what he's looking at in the first place, much less go looking for vin's.

5 years might be pushing it.

Also, misuse of plates is actually a pretty serious ticket

Just something to consider

Half the times i get tickets, they write down the wrong vehicle

Ticket says grey dodge ram, i drive a black silverado. Unless its a major visual difference, i would think you would be fine. Worst case, "sorry officer, guess i put the wrong plates on."

>Question is, if I run the same plate for both of those cars, what are the odds a cop will ever check the vin during a routine traffic stop? Has anyone ever had their vin checked by a cop?

why the fuck are you getting pulled over? dickhead

>i'm white by the way
>file name

"Oops I accidentally mixed up the plates after cleaning them"
There ya go

unless you live in some small town where the cops have nothing to do, they have bigger fish to fry.

the only time it is going to come up is in a collision at which point your insurance will notice it's not the right car and drop you like a bad habit. you can also guarantee that now that you are an uninsured driver you will also be 100% at fault regardless of who hit who and will get raped in the ass with lawsuits and fines.

you might be ok if you swap the Vin as well but in a lot of places that is a felony

>I'm white by the way
So?

Used to get a white knuckle sweat whenever around cops or pulled over for small stuff like a tail light or something.
But eventually realize cops don't look at anything beyond basic exterior stuff where I'm at.

I bought a mint 91 Trans Am that title had been messed up and lost between 5 owners throughout history as it was originally a drag car through the 90's.
Bought it as a rolling no title chassis. No Rust, clean as hell. $1500 for a rust free turd gen with a mint interior, cage, wire truck, etc.
I bought a rotted out 91 TA and swapped VIN plate and a couple of the RDOT vin tags behind panels.

Got me a great car for pennies compared to what they go for usually.

Going on 5 years now no issues.

If Iever sell it I'll avoid risking myself and I'll just part it out and sell it as a no-title shell again.

Your VIN is on your registration, which they'll ask for unless you got a badge too

Jesus Christ, you're dumb. It takes no effort to get a title for a vehicle without one. I've done it for a rusty POS that wasn't registered in 20 years and I had lost the title to. It costs $5 at the DMV.

The only reason a cop would verify the vin on the car is if they suspect fraud or if it's stolen. There's really nothing stopping you from switching over the plates into the other car, just hope the cop that pulls you over isn't a BMW enthusiast that can spot the difference. Maybe a safer bet would be getting it tagged historic in another state under a friend's name/insurance.

there is almost 0 difference between the 2 cars. They are both black e36 sedans. The 93 has classic plates.

Never driven a BMW i see

this is my only fear. I might just switch the vin plates anyways. (hypothetically)

>my state doesnt give a shit about titles, so that automatically means your state doesnt give a shit about titles
congratulations on being autistic

I got caught sticking the registration sticker of my car from a later year when registration was due for several years, got a month in jail as a result. You'll probably get even more fucked if you get caught since you're messing with the VIN this time.

>what are the odds a cop will ever check the vin during a routine traffic stop?
Since they have to fill in the VIN space, I would say 100% unless it is just a warning. The last time I heard of "routine traffic stops" for my area was back in the 1990's. Since then, the cops never perform roadblock inspections of cars.

And nowadays, some of the cop cars have transitioned to computer scans of license plates. It looks like the city council will okay the big purchase because the cops no longer have to look at plates themselves and can just look at everything else on their patrols. Pasting a fake license update tab on the plate doesn't work anymore. The first month they trial tested the computer camera on a car, it kept on pulling cars over all day long for various violations even for unregistered sex offenders.

The best are the scofflaw pullovers. The computer scans the plate and shows there are unpaid citations over 6 months. Time to observe that car for a reason to pull it over such as a "california stop". That's because the next traffic citation results in a tow to impound.

>I got caught sticking the registration sticker of my car from a later year when registration was due for several years, got a month in jail as a result.

Oww, your jails have too much room. Over here, they are "full" so they switched to maxing out the fines instead of putting non violent offenders into a jail cell. As to how full our cells are, a black guy mugged someone coming out of downtown building. He got only 3 days jail after assaulting the victim who had a giant apple-sized lump on the head from the sucker punch hit. Apparently, some muggers are afraid of self-defense martial arts, so they sucker punch before robbing them.

>total red E30
>don't tell insurance so it still has clean vin
>buy salvage title E30 that was stolen
>swap vins
>not the same year, color or trim
>never had any problem

I'm the user with the bikes but similar story I guess

>Browsing Craigslist
>See klx 650, wtf is that
>Fug, I need this
>Drive to New York City (spring valley) and legit buy this in ten minutes from a super sketchy melatonin rich man named hasseninni oubelinni
>No key, definitely stolen he's ripping wheelies,.it's obviously not running right at all, he melts the intake to the exhaust, it wasn't even connected to the carb
>Like an idiot I buy anyway
>These things are rare as fuck, and who knew, now it needs a top end
>Starts super hard, consumes about a quarter of oil every 50 miles, but does still rip like a mother
>I have no garage, no idea what I'll find in the engine, the head and cams and who knows what else are literally unavailable
> apathetic, put it up for sale
>Find another, buy it instead and just run the same plate. Now have a shitty runner and a purty project
>My gf bought a house, now I have a garage to build the other engine this winter.

I'm going to have the biggest klx 650c collection in the northeast.

Every state has a way of getting a duplicate title because every state knows people lose titles all the time. Instead of doing something highly illegal, like a retard, get a title made for it.

you can usually pass smog .. it'll just be an extra 50 - 100 dollars. ask around homie.

he's white. not gonna happen.

nonsense. All he has to do is drive down to the DMV and give the receptionist a firm handshake while looking him in the eyes, while mentioning that he needs to get his vehicle through smog for work.

They will just pull the vin from the registration. I'm talking about physically inspecting the car to find a vin to confirm. I've never had a cop do that in the 4 times i've gotten pulled over. and twice I got tickets

Almost none.

lol they do this in NYC constantly.

Buy totaled cars at auctions then steal an identical car and register it lol