www.factoryfiveracing.com

Other urls found in this thread:

factoryfive.com/
forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022154
factoryfive.com/818/818c/
youtu.be/V9aZCmghXTI
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-subaru-impreza-outback/6272920389.html
factoryfive.com/order-a-kit/818c-kit/
performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2016/08/video--watch-snap-on-tools-mount-ecoboost-2-3l-engine-in-818c.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Give me a few years. Planning on making the most everyday- and fun-use 818 out there.
>818C kit
>tubular control arms
>STI 6-speed
>Franken-engine FA20 based on the WRX block but with BRZ internals (BRZ block doesn't fit STI trans) and aftermarket exhaust with UEL headers, all I want is 230+ crank hp
>proper diff for a RWD setup in the transaxle
>mid-mounted radiator with as much airflow as possible from the roof scoof plus fans, no risk of coolant bubbling like in a front-mounted system
>dry sump
>wiper kit
>frunk kit
>sound deadening/insulation
>undecided on wheels, but whatever tire width setup will make the car predictable in correlation with suspension tuning
>some frame stiffening to fix flex issues, weight be damned
>electric A/C unit
>side scoop aftermarket body parts
>trans cooler on one side
>oil cooler on the other
>full inner fenders front and rear
>front and rear removable crash structures
>underbody for at least the front half
>small splitter
>small spoiler
>probably painted brilliant red with a mostly black interior, with a few gold accents
>3x faster window sticker for the /m/emes

Cobras are ugly as sin.

the same reason I don't do a lot of things. poverty!

LEAVE THIS PLANET RIGHT FUCKING NOW

>Guy totals your car
>Insurance gives you a 10k payout on your 59k car
Good idea senpai

He's not wrong though, be he's also not entirely correct.

I'm not rich, I don't pick my own hours. Who has the time and tools to build their own car?

>59000 dollars
Lol no. With any luck I'll be on the road for under 35 grand. Also if it's totaled, I'm dead. Kit, engine, and trans should be under $20,000 if I can get deals, under $25,000 if I buy nice stuff.

>time
When you're not at work?
>tools
What you normally have to work on your own car, and renting a hoist.

The BRZ internals are actually weaker than the WRX's. the strangth of the BRZ's FA20 is the cylinder heads, which are world's better than the WRX's

BTW< the WRX block doesn't fit the STI transmission either. The STI still uses an EJ25.

Learn more about this every day. I suppose it would be dumb of me to not use WRX internals, would just need to look into different pistons. Or maybe it's all in the heads for compression changes? More research is required.

its easier just to mod an existing platform.

Its definitely easier, but the main advantages of a kit car are performance/dollar and weight. You cannot get anything nearly as light as a cobra replica for how much it costs.

bullshit. there are half a dozen pony cars and RWD jap shitboxes that weigh in under 2k lbs that would be significantly cheaper.

mk1 Celica coupe and the Datsun B210/510 come to mind.

Does upgrading a lot of the parts of an existing shitbox count?

oh yeah. the BRZ FA20 heads outflow the WRX heads like no other.
It's a combination of heads and pistons plus stroke, combustion chamber size, bore, and head-gasket thickness that affects the final compression ratio.
Something to also take into consideration is how you're going to do the EFI system if using the BRZ heads. The BRZ uses Toyota's D4-S fuel injection system. Because D4-S is both multi-port injection and direct injection, there are 2 fuel injectors per cylinder to control. Plus there's the high-pressure fuel pump driven by the camshaft to up the pressure for the direct injection half.

My uncle bought and built a kit plane...he's a dink, so money was no issue...even had a proper 'workshop' built at the cottage to build it in ( cause Ontario winters make working outside somewhat difficult)...took him an easy 12 years to complete (few years off when he lost interest/inspiration), cost about $100K with engine, electronics and certs, not including the shop which I heard 3rd hand from another Aunt was north of 300K...
He flys around with a club...flew up to Alaska last year, flew out to visit us 2 years ago...
Nice plane, very well built, nice paint...but an incredibly expensive hobby...
Funny thing is I thought snowmobiling was expensive...I'm guess I'ma poor ass...

Are they that light with 427s in them?
I know, it's a mess for what I want. I'd really like to run it N/A but I may have to make the sacrifice and run a turbo EJ. Its still years away, with any luck I can wait to see if some mad genius beats me to it and follow his lead.

Why do kit planes take so long to build? Don't you just bolt most the parts together? I guess you don't want left over parts when your building a plane. It seems like you could get it done in a year if you had no job.

I think I'd rather have a bush plane over a $300k Ferrari that I can't really use unless I drive to a track.

>427
why would you choose that boat anchor of an engine when there are cheaper, more modern, alloy block alternatives that make more power out of the box.

You could probably get away with a good N/A EJ25/22/20 build if you pick and choose the parts right. For a high revving screamer, which it sounds like what you want, go for the biggest cylinder bore, and the smallest cylinder stroke. You may end up with a hybrid but the EJ engines are modular anyway.
lets see. According to Wikipedia, these are the sizes to use:
Stroke: 65.8mm (EJ15 1.5L and EJ16 1.6L, must import)
Bore: 99.5mm (EJ25. You'll be tripping over those fuckers)

This would result in a 2.0L set up for high revving. Then get propet heads and cams and internals, and it'd be gold.

>high revving EJ builds can exist
Well this solves everything. Looking through forum posts most people said turbo was the only way.

Well an EJ turbo can rev to 7k on average, so you can probably build one that you can rev the snot out of if you pick the parts carefully

>10k

Uh, kit cars have specialized insurance. Much like antiques do. You usually have to get it appraised beforehand as well.

what the hell this site doesnt exist anymore lol

OP fucked up, there's no "racing" in the URL.
Looks like NASIOC does have a sticky for N/A power. Not sure where I was looking before. Honestly looks like the power level I want can be achieved on pump gas with USDM parts, it'll just be EJ25 based, which is acceptable I guess.

factoryfive.com/
OP can't do a simple Bing search

>Bing

>just use google
>complain about google being a botnet
Make up your fucking mind. I prefer Bing. Yes, I know it's still a botnet, but I can actually get microsoft reward points and buy actual shit from doing web searches.

user I don't give a shit about any of that. I just want accurate search results.

>Looks like NASIOC does have a sticky for N/A power.
can you link it? I'm looking, but don't see it

Bing, in my experience, is pretty damned accurate. Very rarely do I have to use google for something but I do do it when that happens.

Alot of the larger capacity home builds are riveted together...then the builder gets into bodywork...and visible rivet heads are wayyyy too 50's, so everything gets grinded/sanded down so as to ready to paint...my dink by marriage uncle paid almost 7k for paint job...all prep work done by uncle...painted in uncles 'shop'...

Here ya go.
forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022154

Well I was, but I let a girl talk me into selling it pretty shortly after this pic was taken.

Word of warning, friends, think with your brain, not your dick; find a partner that supports your hobbies.

F

F

How do you even sell a car like that?

Craigslist. Got a decent price for it too, I think, about $1200 or so. Well, decent for what I *thought* I'd get. Probably spent close to $3k for the parts (lot of stuff not pictured).

F

I don't hava a garage

don't have $15k+ to build a kit car
or a garage

I also think it would be more fun to build a tube-framed, fiberglass-shelled, completely one-of-a-kind exotic-looking supercar that would turn heads and have all the ricers asking "is that a lambo?". which is my ultimate goal in the world of cars.

Just build a gtm

Is it really that cheap? Point me

>Is it really that cheap? Point me
factoryfive.com/818/818c/

An 818 CAN be built for around 15k, but to do it right would cost you around 20. And that's for a by the books bare bones one. However, that's an 1800lb car with a 220-250ish hp motor in it depending on the year of donor.

Good thing you did. Putting. a Chevy motor or whatever the fuck that slug is in a Cobra is a cardinal sin and you are clearly a moron.

Because Shelby is selling real ones for the same price.

Pretty sure that's not a cobra
youtu.be/V9aZCmghXTI

rather just put a body kit on a miata

Please try to use ITB's too, it's rare to see it since imprezas are considered heavy, but the FF would be perfect. Imagine the sound, user.

That....actually makes a lot of sense for what I'm trying to do. Fuck it, dream car, money is no object, it will get ITBs.

This does not look good.

I can't see the miata... this looks good

No

Even a complete engine, drivetrain, and suspension swap? For example, LS1, T56, IRS, and front k member swap in a turd gen?

Still dragged down by the weight of the sheet metal and mcstrut front suspension. It'll be good, but not as good as a purpose build tube frame and fibreglass deathtrap.

They do have fiberglass front clips and lexan rear windows for them, which does help a lot. Mine being an 82 Z28 also has a factory fiberglass hood, they stopped for 83½ cars when the L69 and T5 were introduced.

still not a kit car

Gay

Let some schmuck-fuck blow $80k on one, then buy it from the poor fucker for $35k on Craigslist when they put 1100 miles on it and their middle-aged menopausal wife complains about the seat and forces them to sell it at a major loss, and the lack of testosterone and knowing that a bitchy wife is hell, the poor fuck goes through with it

>high revving MR sports car you can build for under 22k and could daily drive is somehow gay
Welp. Time to buy a kit car

Its gay to plan out what I want from a build in advance?

is there a MR kit car that I can put a 1JZ in

No.
The 818 has a hard time fitting a Ford Ecoboost i4, never mind a huge I6. Remember, the 818 was designed for a Subaru flat 4

He could put it in a GTM but those are designed for LS6(?) motors. Also they're expensive as fuck.

An LS V8 is shorter than a JZ I6. There isn't enough room. The I6 is just too long. If you want an MR I6 sports car, but a BMW M1. Otherwise, go be retarded somewhere else.

I agree it's retarded, just trying to give user options.

HOLY FUCK I made this, that's my car
Thank you user :^)

Some Superlites might fit it if you use a really low profile transaxle.

That thing will not fit an I6. try again

>Captcha: 6400 MONICA!

Hey user, did you see the guy that put a Kia Soul grille rear grille on his 818c? I sold the car but it looked clean.

I have. Wasn't it actually a front grill? I'd probably cut out all of their mesh and put my own in if I went that route, but the integrated plate holder is nice.
You're not building a daily for 22k. These things don't even come with heating or AC or windshield wipers standard.

Yeah, my grammar imploded with my post; he took a front grille and made it a rear one.

I love that that design hides the trans and still leaves the originally designed airflow cutout between the lights unmolested. Could route exhaust through there or have even more airflow. big design hurdle right now is what to do with the front end. Since the plan now is still a rear or mid radiator, there is no reason to have the front mouth open at all, but trying to make some fibreglass insert to flush the front end would be hell.

Slow piece of shit. I can beat that with my civic with a few simple mods.

So I need an entire donor Subie, and this kit that starts at $13K. So I'm out at least $20K, and I need to build the goddamn thing. That is not cheap, if you're counting labor as well.

It's an actual project to undertake, yeah. But if you're already a mechanic and doing this willingly/not worrying about the time, you can get a cayman S-tier vehicle for about 30 grand. Granted, you'll be feeling that saved money because the interior will not be anything near porsche tier.

God, for that money I'd probably just get a Cayman S. Gotta be some used ones floating around in pretty good shape.

15k is the minimum budget for an S. The coupe kit is more. You'd want to buy a wrecked wrx and not a good one to save money. But that's assuming best case scenarios all around. I need to budget 35k for mine but I will be buying individual parts new and adding a ton of goodies.

Yeah. It's really for people that want to sperg about how they touched every component of the thing.

If you got one built, then went to a bespoke place for the interior, it'd run you the price of a 911.

3.5L V8

There isn't a lot to the 818's interior. It's two seats, a center console, and an instrument cluster. They give you the carpet and everything, and you can buy a higher quality dash, but it's a sports car first, you'd need to add your own luxuries. I love that you can basically make a car with a 90s interior, but it's new.

Oh yeah, I know. I meant if you wanted to compete on interior luxury with a Cayman

>You're not building a daily for 22k.
Base kit: ~$13k (0 shipping for me. I live a state away from them. Can just go pick it up myself with a truck)
N/A Impreza donor: ~$3k newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-subaru-impreza-outback/6272920389.html
wiper kit: $275
Trunk kit: $299
heating/defrost from Vintage Air: ~$350
Vintage Air A/C: ~350

Total: $17,284

Well below 20k, nevermind 22k. Assuming you have capable tools for it all.

I actually looked up the numbers.

I guess you *could* just run the engine and trans as is, most builders recommend getting them rebuilt at minimum. I could have sworn the trunk and ac were more expensive, don't have my list handy on this device. Neat if it's that cheap.

This is without the carpet or the padded vinyl interior kit, which adds another $600, but there's till plenty of buffer room

factoryfive.com/order-a-kit/818c-kit/

The Vintage Air heater/defroster and A/C kits are the same ones used by the people with the Cobra kit cars.

This is a nice thread. Let's have it live a little longer.

No hcci engines

>Why hasn't Veeky Forums built their own car

I'm about to buy a Cobra instead of build one for two reasons:
>no time to build one
>there are so many finished ones on the market in which the investment is half as much as building one

have a bump

So apparently there's an adapter for an ecoboost engine. Which means theoretically, you can swap an ecoboost engine into a wrx

performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2016/08/video--watch-snap-on-tools-mount-ecoboost-2-3l-engine-in-818c.html

>buffer room
>project car
You would EASILY need another $10k past your tally to actually get the car on the street, running, registered, and reliable.

The doorhinge panel unevenness flares my autism

Interesting, but it won't fit in an Imprezza. The engine already bolts to the transmission infront of the wheels. A flat six is only just short enough to fit.

>You'll need a rear-end
What does it mean ? Where to find an AC Cobra rear end ?

The Cobra kit cars use the rear ends of either a Foxbody/SN95 Ford Mystang, or an MN12 THunderbord/Cougar/Mark VIII