Being forced into package/trim options

>being forced into package/trim options

Why the fuck do car companies do this? If I want nice leather seats but manual windows I should have the option, if I want a manual transmission with the best audio system I should have the option. Instead you are forced into a system of you have to get options you dont want to get what you want. I fucking hate this.

Other urls found in this thread:

82.199.155.15/pdf/Tales From The Dealership.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

shut the fuck up

You could do that in the old days.

>t. auto maker

Make up you're god damn mind. You don't need a fucking manual in 5000lb luxury barge with roll down windows... That's fucking retarded. Buy a base model, a mid spec'd model or go all out and get a Mercedes with $100k in options. Or just learn some self control when it comes to options.

Literally the perfect vehicle for me would be a new Tahoe with a manual transmission. But guess what it doesnt fucking exist.

It's a compromise to keep the costs down. They could do it, but it would add considerable time to the manufacturing process and not nearly enough people would be happy with the jacked up price.

>t. economy of scale

>being forced into package/trim options

LMAO stop being so poor and buy the maxed out configuration

>Literally the perfect vehicle for me would be a new Tahoe with a manual transmission.
Why?
Why do you want to buy a 9001lb barge that you then have to manually shift?
Do you somehow think that manual is more convenient or practical? Because it isn't.

typically if you really want it and are willing to pay for it dealers can put in orders for you so long as its something that is actually offered (no leather manual seats when they only put leather on the automatic rails)

manufacturers do try to group as many things as possible together to minimize costs and potential shitboxes sitting on lots everywhere

I sort of get this, because I ran into this kind of shit buying a new 124

If you want the nicer audio system, with the speakers in BOTH headrests (not just the drivers) and the Bose speakers, you HAVE to get the 4-5 grand "premium" package that has the turning headlights, and headlight washers, and factory XM/Navigation, and a whole bunch of shit I didn't want

BUT, if you got that package for the audio upgrade, you couldn't get the Recreo leather/suede seats, you had to take the standard leather ones

Because it makes cars significantly cheaper to manufacture. The only companies that do individual options are high end luxury cars, because when someone is spending $150k on a car they want it exactly to their liking

I literally hate leather seats, yet in order to get the sunroof and nice navigation/sound system I have to get leather seats. What the fuck.

Because they realize that most people are going to configure their cars in one of three ways:
>base model with no options
>standard conveniences like power locks, windows, and maybe a nicer radio
>full tilt luxury
If they make you get all the "standard conveniences" if you want just one, they can charge you more money when it really doesn't cost that much more to put it in.

Or you can just, you know, buy an older car that's cooler and more customizable.

being poor : the thread

Just build your own car.

Nice gloves fagatron.

>not wearing appropriate attire for proper grand touring in an automobile

I know it's probably customary to just schlep around in sweatpants and flip-flops in Walmartistan for travel, however not everyone else in the world is as uncouth, le faggot.

not same user but driving gloves make you look like a cosplaying tool almost without exception

I was told Americans stop posting and go to bed after 2am my local time.

you were told wrong, you effete LARPing twat

Disappointing, really.

2 reasons I can see..

1. and probably the most obvious... MONEY, just like how cable companies force you to get a fuckload of useless channels just because you want sci fi, or A&E, science channel... etc.

2. Lazy car companies who simply don't want to customize a car to make a happy individual

sorry to bugger your jimjams, nigel

I know that feel.

Buying a new Chevy truck next year, only way to get the 6.0 is to buy some stupid expensive 70k trim.

I just want a base model 4x4 with body colour bumper, door handles and mirrors, locking diff and the 6.0. But no, they won't let me fucking do it.

Probably going to have to buy a year or two old if I want to afford the 6l.

>car goes down the assembly line
>it somehow costs more to put on one part than another part

Get a Civic EX, has a sunroof with a good infotainment (except the volume knob) and NO leather, and swap the speakers yourself.

It costs more to reconfigure the manufacturing equipment on the assembly line to have to add one different rocker panel to your "custom" equipped car, yes.

A transmission isn't a part, you moron, it's an assembly. That means it needs its own production line, and those lines need to be synchronized with the overall car assembly so that the line runs at best efficiency. Otherwise you get costs associated with storing parts, potential degradation, etc. About the only thing it's easy to change in a production run is paint, which is why you're usually able to get most trims in pretty much every color available. Since Automatic transmissions make up the majority of cars sold (at least in America), doing separate production runs of a variant nobody is going to buy (top end trim with a manual on a non-sports car) is just wasting the line's time, since you could just do a bigger run of automatics that actually will sell.

Fagatron doesn't even know how to properly dress, his shirts are too small

But they already sold one when it was ordered.

Buy the base then swap in the engine you want.

Most mass-market cars aren't made to order (at least not the end consumer's order), so accommodating custom orders requires adding a vehicle to a production run. If you can get enough of these vehicles ordered it becomes cost effective to get the line running, but if only one or two people order it you're wasting resources on getting a very strange variant produced in small numbers. Even if that somehow guarantees you an order, you lose all of what you would have made in the extra costs associated with a small production run.

The only thing wrong with this image is the lack of real gauges.

>above the the knee shorts and the most metrosexual driving glove I have ever seen.
money cant buy taste I guess

>below the knee shorts

WUTZ GUD ESSAY!

Whatever happened to options sheets, or better yet, delete options? If auto makers still did that I'd totally go for it.

Imagine ordering a 2017 Mustang GT with cloth interior, windy windows, no AC, no radio, no windshield washer, no ABS, etc.

>top end trim with a manual on a non-sports car
I'm glad Mazda still does this

Where have you been all year? Did you ever post your stories that you couldn't post while you were still with the dealership at Christmas like you said you would?

Work. Schedule was such that my Veeky Forums time was seriously reduced for a while, but it's getting better these days now that I have all the major problems fixed

I never did, honestly just never got the time to sit down and type them out/stay on top of the a thread that will last for a couple days.

build your own car you fuckin pleb

jfc am i the only smarte percon hear

>why do you /want/ thing
>brings up practical or convenience

How is it having your head that far up your ass? Ever think people simply fucking want something because they just want it? Practicality and convenience only matter if you're buying a mindless shitbox commuter and not everyone wants one.

I put a 5 speed behind a 409 big block in my 82 1 ton dually, why? because I wanted to, so deal with it.

I like you.

I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs this morning. Why? Because I wanted to, so deal with it.

>be 6'3" with weird proportions
>There are no below the knee shorts for me, only ones that awkwardly sit at or above the knee

Fuck this gay earth.

@thread:
Why would you want manual windows? I get manual because "muh feels" but I literally cannot fathom why someone would want manual windows in 2017.

>manual windows
Why?

i want a duramax option for a full size suv
i want a RWD manual option for a RWD sedan

>literally being this poor

Supply chain managment and manufacturing.
Immagine how long it would it take and cost if every half brained spastic retard wanted leather seats and manual windows when they have to alter production of each car to meet the needs of retards like yourself.
Pls die.

Because if you are spending a vast amount of money on a brand new car you should be able to have whatever the fuck you want?

That's how it used to be up until around the mid 70's. (In America anyway)

The dealership would just have a few test floor models at the dealer, and when it was time to buy you fill out a form with the options and colors you want. Then when your car was ready you'd go to the dealer and pick it up.

To upgrade the truck to the 6.2 (which is what I originally meant, 6.0 is the old one) at the dealer is around $1500, albeit can only be had on higher trim. To do a swap myself I would have to source an engine, preferably new since it's going into a new truck, which would cost about 7k US just for the engine, by the time I get it in my hands it's probably be close to 12k CAD. Plus the time to swap it, whatever tools in missing, a new ECU which I don't even know how much it would cost.

And after all that, the warranty in my brand new truck is now gone.

Would be cheaper and a lot smarter in the long run to buy a new Denali than to swap a brand new truck with a new engine.

fucking cuck

Why can't I get a turbo option for a Nissan Versa?

That's how it still is over here in germany, at least with the big three

You're also forgetting new motor mounts, harness... List goes on
For that price you might as well supercharge or turbocharge the stock engine, run it till it goes, them swap in your 6.2 when it's cheaper...

Or just buy a brand new Denali, have a much nicer truck with the better engine and be done with it.

I'm not against swaps, doing a V8 swap on my Canyon. But to swap a new vehicle like that is a bit silly.

>want thing that is blatantly inferior and give no reason as to why
>car companies don't offer it because that's fucking retarded
>whine about not getting it
deal with it you fucking retards

I want a bigger engine but don't want to pay $40,000 extra for it.

Yes the one that's $40,000 more is objectively better, but I don't have 40k extra to spend on an already 40k vehicle.

not my problem kid.

>(You)

Why are people saying it's a poor fag problem? Money aside there are some configurations you simply can't get in cars because the manufacturer forces you to get X options when you upgrade trims meaning you can't get options from different levels of trim.

>buying a new car

why do people do this

If only there were people who can use a trade of some sort to give you the finest leather seats you can imagine.

t . Fevered ramblings of an autistic man's nightmare

In the case of a truck, you can often get new for the same price as a used that's a few years old.

I was originally looking to buy a 2014-2015 truck used. If you wait for their crazy incentives they have every year though, you can easily get a brand new one for the same price, or maybe just 1-2k more. You can also get 0% or .99% interest rate, which is a lot harder to get on a used vehicle.

And no, I don't have 50k in my bank to pay in cash, so yes that means financing.

Poorfag

because only budget brands have trim levels,
with luxury cars you can just select whatever you prefer

Lel
Isn't that the picture from when Scotty went mad over someone reving their engine in front of his house in the middle of the night?

I look at like this. A car that has options X and Y, but not Z, will be harder to sell to your average consumer. That means you would have to make multiple configurations of said vehicle like so in order to cater to all individuals

X
Y
Z
XY
XZ
YZ
XYZ

Now that's a very simple example, but would get progressively more complicated and monetarily crippling if an automaker can't sell those specialized models. It's much simpler to keep it at a " low, mid, high" structure that gives you none, some, and all options.

>only way to get better engine, should be ruining your car with gay ass wood and leather interior and features nobody actually wants
let me guess you are one these people who also advocate $6,000 entertainment and navigation package, while average 2din unit would be 5x more responsive and 8 times cheaper

There are no luxury trucks though

thank you for a serious and logical answer. Sad to see that so many people don't know that. It's sad to see that all engines cant be avialable in all trim levels though. My family ordered 2 new cars the last 6 years (2 times the same model, lel) and bought a half year old car with 5.000 kms. We could pick everything we wanted, first car is an underpowered 90 hp N/A 1.4 and second one is facelift model with same 1.4 strapped to a turbo (140 horses). Both cars have been super nice with no major faults. Is it becoming a thing in America now that you can't order x trim with x engine?

are special orders on cars still a thing? my dad got one on a dakota in the 90s

maybe you should take that as a sign that trucks are work vehicles
and that it's utterly retarded to buy one for personal transportation

>would get progressively more complicated and monetarily crippling if an automaker can't sell those specialized models
the true reason for that is the impatience of the american consumer
europe treats new cars generally as a made to order item
thanks to digitalized assembly lines it is no problem for the manufacturer to offer any possible combination of options
in fact they prefer it because every car has been sold before production even starts, minimizing financial risks
the only downside is that you gotta wait three months or so for your shiny new car
pic related are the color options for the golf, the definition of a boring econobox

Although it is worth discussing that package options do make personalization harder, It is an easier way for the stealership to upsell the car.

this.

I dont get why auto companies like cadillac sell trucks as luxury(as close to luxury as caddi can get) when trucks are literally supposed to be beaters.

That's not his point, his point is that he can't custom order a truck with the options he wants.

So if you want the big engine in your work truck, you're stuck shelling out 80k for the "Luxury" version.

don't forget the fake HDR

because you don't need a big engine in a work truck
so the manufacturer has rightfully categorized it as the unnecessary luxury it is

post more bls

Wrong
Okay

>You don't need a manual

Maybe he wants a manual because autos are maddening to drive for some people? Luxury cars are for the people being driven, and if you can provide a smooth ride there's no issue.

It isn't less convenient or practical either. Automakers are just kikes that like to skip out on effort and money at every opportunity.

>our target demographic (women, who affect the majority of sales) dont give a fuck about this so we wont put the effort in to offer it fuck you

Auto company "the market (research department) speaks louder than the customer" jewery is why engine swaps need to exist.

>no you cant have a simple sports lightweight car with four seats and an actual trunk that's just not how it is you see the british roadsters back in the 20th century...
>if we're gonna do that it's going to be a luxury sedan as well so more people will buy it, nobody wants to break tradition except for you. or it will be FWD because only you dumb kids don't want to do it how you're supposed to do it.
>potential customer: *LS swaps volvo 240 instead of buying a new car*

>a couple of days
82.199.155.15/pdf/Tales From The Dealership.pdf

Immortal senpai

it's also why sports car sales are dying

guess people just dont care about drivi....
>miata sales stable
oh.

Haha in the US golfs are at least not as ubiquitous or have as much of a shit interior as civics and corollas

t. Golf owner

Well, I got a big discount at my local car dealer because I threw a shitfit about that issue.
Ended up getting the maxed out infotainment shit with rear camera and a bunch of other shit I don't use for FREE, just because I wanted some options only the highest trim had.

After two hours of shitfit I just said "I'm going, fuck this shit", and the madmen said yes.
Funnily, I wasn't even bluffing.

At or above is the only way people who aren't trash wear shorts... Now covering the knee yeah that's fine, but below it? Wtf that's just trashy

>don't need a big engine to haul my cattle trailer

I'd like to know what else I can buy that'll tow 20,000 pounds.

Just buy a base model v6 white work truck goy.

If you need more than that, we have a Denali you could buy!

Just buy the car and pay someone to do it the way you want or just do it yourself.

Im also going to call you a poor taste pleb for wanting leather and crank windows. Well i dd a 94 2wd cherokee with no options except the auto trans.

Oh yeah definitely. here You can basically order what the manufacturer makes and that's about it. The only exceptions are the rare make/model that lets you customize online and then order from there but that's very few and far in between.