Turn on car

>turn on car
>push clutch in
>shift into reverse
>tranny grinds
>this happens every time i start it

what does my car mean by this Veeky Forums

Your reverse gear is unsynchronised. Its fairly common.

How are you releasing the clutch and hitting the throttle?
Tranny not synchro on the reverse gear?

the grinding happens when i move the stick into reverse

On my transmission, I can avoid this problem by shifting into 3 before pushing the selector into R.

Maybe try .... Push in clutch,, shift into neutral, release clutch, push in clutch, shift into reverse ?

I dunno, Maybe it won't grind.

M8 what the fuck would that do? Hes starting out in neutral. Its as i said, his reverse gear isn't synchronized.

It causes one of the shafts to rotate ever so slightly, which makes it possible to push the reverse gears together fully. After fully engaging the reverse gear, the clutch can be re-engaged without any grinding.

M8 it's your throw out bearing or fork

M8 you are talking about things you don't understand. The synchros control the speed of the input shaft. Connecting an idling engine to the input shaft and trying to shift to an unsynchronized gear with the output shaft standing still will grind the gears. You want to shift to a forward gear to stop the input shaft completely, then put it in reverse without releasing the clutch.

Also the band-aid to this situation is shift into reverse before you start the car

In fact you don't even understand how a gearbox works. They're ALL in mesh all the time, it's just the input gears not in use are freewheeling on the input shaft. The gear stick locks them into moving with the input shaft.

Have you tried not putting it in reverse?

>Starting a car in anything other than neutral

some curbs and most cars are too tall for me to drive over, sometimes i have to back up user

1st or 3rd works on my car.

Tell me why you think that would be a problem on a standard transmission

Start rolling forward
shift into neutral
bump off of curb
You are now moving in reverse

The clutch essential disengages the transmission, so start in whatever gear gets you hardest and/or moistest

but what if i'm on an incline

>get in shit of starting in gear
>it's rainy
>foot slips off clutch
>lurch into object ahead of or behind you
Its just a safety measure, there's no reason not to do it.

Where are you parking on a steep incline facing forward where you're blocked in by a curb?

>he's being serious

do you have any idea how hard you'd have to hit a curb to bounce back far enough to get out of a parking spot? you'd just fly over it at that point

This sort of happens to my fourth, except it doesn't grind, the stick just vibrates like a giant dildo maybe 60% of the time I shift into fourth.

what is it with Veeky Forumstists and all these stupid """"safety"""" measures to prevent fear monger type situations that will never happen? do you have the leg strength of a fetus? are your pedals coated in teflon?

had a turd gen trans am that did the same thing but i figured out a little trick that worked everytime, whenever i want to go in reverse id have the clutch down, quickly shift into first then go into reverse and it'd never grind, not sure why it worked but give it a try

talking about reverse grind, i have a question too. while the car is slowly rolling forward if i push the clutch in and try to go reverse it grinds. is this normal? I thought point of clutch was to disengage the engine so rolling forward shouldnt effect reverse gear should it? im just curious i stopped doing it after first time.

Subaru?

Your transmission doesn't have reverse synchronized. Jesus fucking christ. It is not hard to figure out.
It sounds dumb but it happens. When it's raining your shoes are gonna be slippery, if you just have ribbing on your pedal that won't help keep your wet shoe on it.

A lot of reverse gears are non-syncro'd or straight cut.

That is why reverse sounds so weird in them.
The damage you're doing is so minor and for such a short time it's fine and considered acceptable.

im not a car guy sorry what does that mean? its a 1 year old car

Your transmission didn't come with synchromesh on its reverse gear. Its probably straightcut and whines more when moving in reverse too. Its by design, nothing to worry about.

oh okay thank you

Try pressing on the brake pedal or engaging the hand brake/parking brake when you shift into reverse. If you're rolling forward at even the slightest speed, it's going to grind.

I'm surprised nobody has said this yet. Just hold in the clutch for a few seconds in neutral before putting it into reverse. It's like anything without a synchromesh. 5 seconds or so should do it.

My car does this about 1/10 times and I have absolutely no fucking idea why.

Clutch in, fuck it clutch out
Molly percocet

clutch in 1st then reverse, easy peasy

t. impreza owner

my first manual car had metal pedals and I was like 17 when I got it, plus it was winter

I never slipped and dumped the clutch, that's just retarded

Like everyone else is saying. Just put it in a forward gear first, usually 1, 2, 3, then try R.

op here, this seems to work

>>turn on car
>>push clutch in
I don't have this problem

>tranny grinds

well if you're into traps, it's all good bro.

>this
Ever since my father told me this iths turned into a habit.

>Drive for a while
>Come to stop
>Start again
>Push clutch fully in, shift into 2nd
>Feel grinding on the gearstick
>Go back to neutral
>Try going back to 2nd, now losing speed
>It goes in and doesn't act up again that day

It still happens every now and again. I'm starting to get concerned.

Synchros are going bad when you lose speed the engine and transmission equalize speed and it goes in easier.

fpbp
/thread

That sounds pretty spot on. It's barely outside the perfect rev matching range though...

It's a 2015 WRX. The previous owner somehow managed to scrape the fuck out of the wheels, so I'm assuming they drove like retards.

I use to have this problem, for me it was the reverse lockout. My car would still let me get like a little bit into reverse but not all the way. When you would try to move it would grind. I recommend just putting it in neutral, completely letting off the clutch and then going back into reverse. I have to do this a lot, especially after being in the forward gears just before going in reverse. I will have to go to neutral completely re-clutch and then i can go in reverse.