incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/aaaleee/UnityScanlinesEffect
soundcloud.com/jasozz/beasts-bounty-castle-depths-01
thirdkeyofsun.tumblr.com/
clyp.it/1u0f40uy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I was playing a lot of Ancient Cave in Lufia 2.

Think this would be enough for a successful game?

>JRPG
>Job based like Final Fantasy
>Cave layout similar to Ancient Cave in Lufia, no random encounters
>Every X number of floors you get access to a new job
>Every X number of floors you have to fight a boss
>Incorporate puzzle elements on certain floors which will yield things like HP/MP restores, extra jobs, or valuable equipment
>Goal is to reach floor 100, but you can go deeper, another 100 floors

Would that be enough for people? Or would I need to incorporate a seperate "story" mode like a standard JRPG.

How are your engines going, fellow GAMEdevs?

>JLMG
noice.

Accidental vaporwave fog.
I didn't like the default fog modes in unity so I used particles to make moving fog instead, totally not what I had in my mind but the result looks interesting so I'll keep it.

>JRPG with no story

Fresh thread, semi-fresh progress. Got the hotbar and custom keybindings working. Just need to fix the keys not updating on the hotbar.

First for mad drunk and insane progress.

DD15 when?

I want to use GameMaker Studio but don't have the 100 shekels for it yet.

So... should I use Godot, Unity, or Love until then?

I'm looking for what is closest to GM Studio and/or what has the most online resources/tutorials.

Don't see any fog. Also, where did you get this CTR effect?

godot if you want to be a new software guinea pig
unity otherwise

I suggest pirating GMS or GM8 if you're decided on GM.

Godot is strictly better than GMS.

I'd vote Unity. Godot might be closer to GM I guess but Unity has way more tutorials and online resources.

Unity has the most resources but is for 3D games, not 2D games.
Godot is better than Gamemaker in nearly every way, but lacks a lot of tutorials.
Love is if you have a fetish for Lua.

*pirating GMS1

Hello, fellow neondev. I love where this is going.

My level gen tools are shaping, so I'm gonna start work on implementing some actual obstacles. Taking suggestions!

Why do people have such animosity towards Unity?

Because it's not perfect, and it's the #1 recommendation.

>no game

I don't have any animosity towards Unity, I do have animosity towards people saying it is things it's not, such as perfect, or the best engine.

because shit devs use it to make shit games which start with a "MADE IN UNITY" screen

I want to make a game that starts with a "MADE IN UNREAL" screen

Can I play it?

Justifies using their less popular engine.

Not that popular means it's good.

>Stealing my game idea

I want to make a 2D game with sprite animation. Would Godot be better?

I'm not that decided on it.

I don't have anything like a demo yet, nope. Still gotta implement a bunch of features before I can make anything like a level.

Finished simplifying the resources. There is no longer a split between offensive and defensive stock. Everything is compressed into one thing now: Moth Dust.
It can be used for Burst (heavy damage attacks) and Dust (bombing to clear the screen of enemy attacks). Each moth has her own gauge to facilitate using her unique playstyle.
Should be a bit easier to manage when you only have to keep track of your remaining hearts and your one gauge (not pictured is that the HUDs light up/change depending on how full they are).
Still balancing moth dust regeneration so that offensive action is kept fast paced but defensive ability isn't overpowered because of it. Might resort to making dust eat 2 stock but not sure yet.

Is there much demand for a game where you wear a wrist strap connected to the computer while playing, and if you play badly then it gives you an electric shock?

hows that bokube trailer going

Why do your moths have mammary glands? Real moths don't.

blog?

I haven't done any actual game dev aside from small game maker shit, is it a bad idea to go straight into MonoGame? I have a decent amount of experience with programming, but it looks a little complex compared to some other engines.

>moth girl forever ded

>looking up some books for research
what did the botnet mean by this?

I made it because I couldn't find anything I liked. I just uploaded it to a repo in case you want it.
github.com/aaaleee/UnityScanlinesEffect

Thanks user, your game looks great.

Getting some Gameboy-esque tracks put together for my Monster Jam entry

soundcloud.com/jasozz/beasts-bounty-castle-depths-01

So will there be an easier way to regenerate this shared recourse then? Because if I remember correctly Sana could regen it by attacking, but I don't think the other character (forgot her name) could, well there might have been a pick up like in touhou but I can't remember. But my point is, if it isn't easy to regen it then I'm never going to use the special attack because I don't really care about the bonus grace point thing and I feel like the dps was good enough on the regular attack for me to just stick to that.

because they havent finished any games.

it meant you need to drop several dozen kilos you whale

bonus

MonoGame isn't an engine, it's a framework. You'll need to do way more programming than you're expecting.

I have to agree with googs on this one, even flashdevs has higher success rate than unity devs

It's more akin to a true Roguelike, where you're actually engaging in turn based combat.

The updates aren't super frequent but it is not dead either. thirdkeyofsun.tumblr.com/

All regeneration is up by .2 (this is actually a lot more than it sounds) and can be regenerated via normal attacks. I am having the hardest time getting anyone to use the faster way of regenerating (if you tap, release then hold the attack button the normal shot changes color and for a few seconds regenerates resources about 2x faster. This can be kept up by holding for 3 seconds then immediately repeating the tap>hold if desired). I don't want to drop it entirely though because I know use of it can result in pretty satisfying gameplay (granted in my biased opinion) so I am looking into ways to get anyone to actually attempt it. Also since there are no longer double resources to worry about all non heart/point pickups now regenerate moth dust overall.

I feel like most people will just find it annoying to constantly be double tapping the attack button. And I think a lot of people might end up thinking "well I can't be bothered doing this all the time so I might as well just not do it at all". I think if you make it more of a situational thing then people will be willing to use it in the situation where it is useful, as long as that situation isn't really common. So like, if you were to make it so that it only increases regen if you're very low on Moth Dust, then people will want to seize the opportunity to increase their stock when they've just used up a bunch of it, and they can just ignore it the rest of the time without feeling bad about it.

>slip some Wagner into the background music for one level
>nobody notices
Why do I even bother?

redpill me on being an enginedev

it's fun but you won't finish a game
desu as a hobby that's fine

it makes girls moist

When you finish your engine, it's gonna be the most perfect, completely tuned to you engine in the universe, and it'll be able to let you create the perfect game.
When you finish it, anyway.
aka never. engies = autism

That is not a bad idea at all honestly. If regen at a 1/3 or less remaining is what benefited from it then I could see people maybe caring as well. I might have to put some kind of tell in so that it is noticeable maybe. Like either the portrait or an animation around the moth sprite. Lots to think about now. Thank you for the feedback, user!

I enjoyed trying out Unity as a novelty, even if it wasn't exactly optimised for sprite-based games, but when I found out it refused to store joypad ports consistently I stopped working with it.

people tend to give enginedevs shit because they pretty much never come up with any full games of substance, with a few notable exceptions. the rate of started to finished games here is infinitesimal already (I've posted about three separate projects here off and on in the past two years, none of which I've actually finished in any capacity)

if you wanna enginedev, fuckin' go for it man, nothing's stopping you. having the skills to code a piece of software as complex as a video game from scratch is impressive. but if you're going back and forth about being a enginedev or a dev that uses an existing engine, and productivity matters to you, maybe don't worry about writing your own engine.

you don't have to use unity's input

anyone looking for an animator please feel free to look at my portfolio, im not expensive.

exndlgames.wixsite.com/exndl

I don't have to use Unity either

what do you recommend for sprite games?

$hader$

Lisp + SDL2

>exndlgames.wixsite.com/exndl
Classy site. You might want to put your portfolio on the first page so people can just scroll through it.

Do yourself a favor and make some demo animations with a nicer looking model, a free one is fine.

I don't think it would make much sense for it to be a portrait change when the portrait already changes when you do that shot (unless you have removed that for some reason). Which portrait would take priority? Would you be able to tell when you are no longer getting that bonus? I would prefer it if it was an animation around the moth sprite like you said.

danks

what are you even trying to emulate with your broken outline

>No textures

?

I'm doing some very late reviews of demo day games since the streaming isn't going to work out very well and I do still want to play these and give feedback
it's even later than I intended because I've been very busy
because of that and because there was less than usual that I was interested in it'll only be these few games, hopefully things go better next time

House Cleaner: This still functions pretty well, except for some occasional slowdown that didn't seem intentional, these two enemies that got stuck on a corner once, and a red 0 that showed up and stayed on the right side of the screen (pic related). I didn't play a ton of it but I did finish the first level this time, and I tried the second one, and it had the same aesthetic and the same enemies, which didn't seem too promising.

COAL: Despite how basic this is, it's coming along very nicely. I got stuck at the top of a ramp in the second level, there needs to be more ammo, and this game is crying out for a sprint button, but those are all extremely fixable issues. I like the designs of the enemies, and the feeling of using the weapons is decent. The things that bothered me the most were the aim-down-sights thing that's wonky (mostly because I switched to it by accident) and the undocumented lean controls that were initially conflicting with the custom controls I set (I usually use ESDF instead of WASD).

(1/2)

Is there nothing like DearImGUI for monogame?

I never thought I would see the day I would be tooling in C++ over C#.

(2/2)

Star Children: I couldn't figure out the controls and I got crazy screen tearing. I could've gone back to it but I don't care for RPGs or turn-based games anyway. Sorry I don't have more to say.

Bokube: I gave this another chance. It seems more polished than the last time, but I had to lower the resolution and the graphical quality to make it smooth. Switching camera views could be snappier but I understand why it's a bit sluggish, it might be better that way for most players. I get that it's all supposed to be cute, but it's so fucking cute I can't stand it. I couldn't figure out how to move the red cube in the second level, so I had to stop there. This is not my kind of game at all, but I hope you do well with it, because you've clearly put a lot of effort into the aesthetics and controls and overall feel.

Legacy Code: The controls made my hands start to go numb, but I didn't try it with a controller, which I can only assume would've worked better. Because of that and because I'm not fond of roguelikes/roguelites/proc-gen, I didn't play very far. I can say that the walking, running, jumping, attacking, and ledge interactions feel good; I'm not sure about the wall-sliding because I'm not used to game that have it. I like and respect the prompt interface you have, but it's not very user-friendly, in particular I couldn't figure out what the current keybinds were.

see you next time!

>there's no story so it's a roguelike
lol

The portrait changes are unchanged. I was initially thinking something like an "emotion" animation separate from the portrait's state (like panic lines or something) but it would probably be a bit too much because there is already a new state the portrait is now also tracking (to be posted later when it is full working). So probably something unobtrusive around the moth sprite. A subtle "hey you could do a nice thing right now if you really wanted to". The tell could kick in at 1/3 or below and stay active until you pass the 2/3 full mark maybe then fade out.

Thanks user!

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Kugelblitz
Dev: user
Tools: Unreal, Blender
Web:
Progress:
+ Created a noise generation library. Only value and Perlin noise for now, Voronoi might come in eventually.
+ Also made a dynamic texture material to test the noise gen. No immediate application, but it's nice to have in the toolbox.
+ Create landscapes around the level using the noise. Looks pretty good, but I meet dead ends relatively often. Voronoi might be better for creating obstacles that you can always get around of...
- Ship handles like a barge, so I'll be working on making it a bit more fun to drive.

I think my marketing strategy is a little bugged.

But seriously, what else is there? For all I know there's a radioactive wasteland outside of these boards.

I'm getting slowdown in a level with a spline that generates child actors (Rings) at all of its points.

at begin play, the level blueprint gets all child actors and destroys them, then spawns those actors at the same transformation (this is done so that another actor can interact with them)

in the outliner, during simulated play; the Rings are numbered normally, from nothing to n-1. however, when not simulating, the child Rings that exist on the spline are numbered in increasing digits, getting to 5 figures pretty quickly.

notably, these new changes seem to cause jittering of physics objects (the player's pawn) but not a huge framerate hit. does anyone know a common mistake in this kind of operation that causes problems?

thanks

you don't have to use a programming language

>all those words are underlined
What the fuck language do you speak?

Posting some progress on twitter is nice, if you're lucky someone with a lot of followers might retweet you. If you need more characters to post progress create a blog, and tweet your blog posts.

That's about it, really. Other sites just aren't too good for marketing. And unless you have someone on your team dedicated to marketing there's no point in wasting time posting on every social site, just Twitter is enough.

twitter, tumblr, tigsource
>but tigsource is dead and for gay old dinosaurs
Devolver straight up poaches devs off of tigsource.

Wait a minute. You're telling me I can post a juicy pixel meme (you know the style) progress post and devolver will hire me

If you had a place where you could list all the links relevant to your project, which places would you like to link to?
I'd assume:
>website
>tumblr
>twitter

What else?

Today's progress

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll check these out.

your itch.io and/or steam page.

Devolver nabbed the developer of My Friend Pedro and Adult Swim Games nabbed the developers of Rain World off of tigsource. indiegames.com's feed is basically a "what's new on tigsource" blog.

Have a look at the Etrian Odyssey games.

They're dungeon crawlers with no story, although the newer ones have a story mode in addition to the classic one.

Ok, might be time to make the switch to itch.io

clyp.it/1u0f40uy
Starting on some middle eastern dungeon music.

Just remembered the Okhlos developers also got poached off of tig.

Forgot about those. Cheers.

I'd like to see that when you simplify it and make some normal maps.

How good is TIGS for people who actually want to improve their pixel animation work and not just have people say "wow cool!!"?

itch.io is for uploading a game, not version control.

1st progress post. Everything is obv placeholder.
I had a weapon swap system implemented yesterday but it was too buggy and unoptimised with too many variables. Are arrays the most efficient way to do an inventory system in GM?

So my dream of a version-controlled UE4 game is basically fucked?

What the hell

This might actually be a good business idea. Version control, like github, tailored for games.

If I make a game will people want to be my friend?

That looks so fucking bad, lmao.

Thanks brother

If you're not a cunt you can be friends with devs.

If you get big enough you'll have orbiters, even fucking gogem does. But do you want to be friends with them?