New Vs. Old

Everyone has their own tastes but why does it seem like 90% of the population buys and drives sub 20k brand new cars that are never older than 1-2 years old? I get it, not everyone is like be and wants to deal with daily driving a 20 year old car. But surely there's a good middle ground that is lacking. For example a 2002 Lexus is300 is not remotely expensive to maintain and can be had for peanuts, yet people still think a 2017 Nissan Versa is better, I just think people are stupid So posts some good cars!

It's the feeling of buying something new. Most people don't bother researching and just follow normie memes like, "brand new Corollas are reliable and sporty!!!"

Normies want warranties and to never have to open their hoods.
Also this is now an 8er thread

pretty much this, normies are notorious for neglect and abuse of cars so having a warranty helps continue their lifestyle of degeneracy.

sounds like a sad existence

why would you want some old shitbox that will break down when you can have a new car

because the new cars have shit design, useless entertainment gimmicks, or are shit mechanically like CVTs

those are just opinions

new cars are objectively better

they have objectively worse visibility.
cvts are objectively worse than conventional automatics
volume knobs are objectively better than touch sensitive areas or gestures.

but the only one of those that is objective is visibility

Marv was right, new cars look like electric shavers. I'd take this 240 over most modern cars. It's got enough room to swap almost any engine you want and it's a battering ram compared to these new plastic and composite cars.

warranties are for sure a major plus for folks, especially as newer cars are piss fucking shit to work on in a lot of cases. Like having to buy and have programmed a Smart Junction Box for my 06 Lincoln Zephyr all to fix a turn signal that doesn't work... (close to 600 from dealer)

So for a newerish vehicle, I wouldn't mind that, but Fuck if I could afford 10 grand or more for a car (taking care of your parents, and bills, never getting to actually leave the house or begin to really build a future sucks).

But the creature comforts of modern vehicles are really nice... (good heating and cooling, heated seat, sharp interior, bluetooth integration, comfy stuff) are a huge turn on combined with media and in some cases social pressure to have new, to show off what you have or can have.. etc.

I bought a two year old car 15 years back, still have it. Just bought a 12 year old car as well.

>Show off what you have.
A base trim base model shitbox is worse than buying an older car that looks more expensive.

Is it worth it to buy a 2006 Saab 9-5 for under $4000? It's got about 100k miles on it. Found it on Cargurus well under KBB value. Anybody here a big Saab fan?

Have fun with my old shitbox and replacing the everything. Not because it's broken or in terrible shape, but because I want it to be like new
Parts are cheap and easy to replace

Been having more fun with this than my 2012 Lexus IS-F lol

Maintenance isn't fun if you have to wait weeks for parts so do check how that works with Saab where you are. Outside of maintenance troubles they are nice cars.

>taking care of your parents, and bills, never getting to actually leave the house or begin to really build a future sucks

same, senpai. same.

Most late 90s mid 00s look like shit though and people do want to drive something new which is understandable.
I do like cars of that vintage because they are in many ways still quite primitive and basic to maintain, but have the basic creature comforts and safety you want from a daily driver.

I used to think the same way, and kind of still do but after owning about 8 used cars, I will be buying my first used car next July when all the sales are on. Albeit, it won't be a base model civic or anything like that.

It's nice to know that the only people to abuse it will have been Jose and Jesus who loaded it onto the truck. Also incredibly hard to find a used vehicle in immaculate shape without paying such a premium that you may as well buy new. Warranty is nice as well.

I will still have my 2 used vehicles though, and I will still buy used fun cars. I think used is great for a fun car, or a weekend driver, etc. For my daily though, buying new is nice if you can afford it. Something that is immaculate from day one, and all you have to do is maintain it, not fix the stupid shit the previous owner did.