/mhg/ - Monster Hunter General

Double crossplay edition

>Notice
A recent banwave targeted 3DS systems with custom firmware. pastebin.com/7RvW7y2i

>News
Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. confirmed for 8/25 in Japan, region free.
Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=CvzTD_RYDXs
Monster Hunter Stories is coming West this fall.
XX Update 1.1 w/ Eng Patch v3: my.mixtape.moe/uixtrs.png

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

mhgen.kiranico.com/
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243
In XX, ターグット: Gathering フィールド採集 (page 1, middle right)
In Generations, Objective: Gathering
In 4U, Target: Fishing

Tags: MHXX, MHGen, MH4U, MH3U, Stories, MHO, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPpsLLT0eXY
pastebin.com/GaKfEChk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

2nd for Guildmarm!

this kills the rathian.

Starting HR1, what HBG should I aim for? Also, is bulljaggi set also optimal like it was for blademaster or do I go for something else?

What is the meme hammer set for MHXX?
So far I'm running:

CE+2
Sharpness +2 (using gore hammer)
WE
MetaBoost

I guess I should change CE+2 for Challenger +2?

>Another degenerate removed from the playerbase
God's work, Nintendo. God's work.

>All because of save backups.

what do you mean?

Don't mind me, rolling for a MH to play that I'll actually enjoy.

>0-2
FU
>3-5
3U
>6-8
4U
>9
Keep playing games I hate (XX)

>decide to check /mhg/ after months away
>charloteposting, dead memes and weapon tier shit flinging still happens

The day Blancheposting started you should have known it would never die.

Damn boy, ya did good.

Evasion+1 is amazing in 3U. Totally worth grinding Volvidon for. Just thought you all should know.

Time for underwater!

>3U
Who do even plays that shit game.

I can't believe they still use the old models. No permission from Capcom to even borrow the MHO ones?

Starting MHMen HG1, what HBG should I aim for? Also, is bulljaggi set also optimal like it was for blademaster or do I go for something else?

What else is there to play right now?

>MHMen
What is this? Sounds hot!

>not playing most comfy game

Underwater Lance is my best memory from playing Tri. I was a young teenage faggot who just watched Gurren Lagunn, so all my shoutouts were drill quotes.

I regret nothing.

I want to give Milsy all my horn coins!
And mating press Miss Cat!

It is less about lacking permissions and more about being lazy as fuck to do the modeling. As you probably noticed, most monsters are reskins or retexture from rigs of other monsters, and they probably are too incompetent to give that rathian her new rig and texture and rely on Capcom doing for them(like brachy and deviljoe)

that isn't even the old model, the old one looks even worse.
development only goes into new assets, and HC gold rathian is pretty old i think.

Ride on!

The only thing that will be riding on you is my carving knife

>Double crossplay

Brave CB is pretty fun, but how does it compare to the other styles?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPpsLLT0eXY
>they actually fell for the meme

The world can never have enough Raths

Second best after Striker, by my estimates. I'll take fun over raw clear time.

>Striker is not fun

does /mhg/ think styles/arts are good?

i haven't been here in a while and need to know if this general is doomed

Arts are okay as a concept but need work.
Styles killed the game.

>tfw nothing can compete with mantis weapons 330 raw, infinite purple and three slots
>tfw the entire meta is nothing but mantis weapons
I HATE XX!
I HATE THIS META!
I MISS RAJANG!

I agree

Not compared to 4U, and not compared to Brave. That's my take anyway. What is so great about a stripped down moveset other than the underwhelming arts selection and getting your stagger 3 seconds earlier?

>Does /mhg/ think styles/arts are good?
/mhg/ is not a hive mind. We are a group of people with varying thoughts and opinions. For example, I am very fond of both Styles and Hunter Arts. There are many people that decry them, but I have a feeling that they are the vocal minority.

>I haven't been here in a while and need to know if this general is doomed
Have you REALLY not been here in a while, user? Because it sounds for all the world like you're just baiting.

First day on Veeky Forums?

>As you probably noticed, most monsters are reskins or retexture from rigs of other monsters
just like mainline. although you got it wrong, there are no new skeletons in frontier, just very cleverly disguised reuses.

it seems the raths look a lot worse than other gen 2 mons though, no idea why.
most of them got a pretty high quality retexture for high grade, especially plesioth

Styles are fine, arts who cares

I like you

You dont have to be part of a hive to know styles are rubbish.

I haven't been here since 3U came out.

>styles are rubbish
go and stay go

Please don't bully the Rajang, he used to be loved back in /mhfug/.

Honestly now, why do you like them?

Do you just prefer easier hunters? Faster hunts? Less punishing monsters? What is it that draws you to styles that make the game more casual?

>States facts
>G-go away!!!
The fragile mind of the Tritoddler.

i think styles are a neat idea but i wouldn't mind having some or all of them go away in 5

i think arts can be great but absolutes are way too useful

thank you for reading my post have a nice day

I think monsters should have styles instead

I would rather everyone be forced to have gen 1 weapons and complicated and varied monsters, than old monsters and complicated and varied weapons.

I hop they can everything but the QoL.

Guild and Striker are fine, Aerial is stupid, Bushido is a clutch
I like the idea of Brave, but the execution is all over the place
Alchemy is a wasted opportunity of making support enjoyable in multi
Arts don't make much sense, but I'd tolerate them if it weren't for Absolutes. They're boulders thrown at the game balance.

So the issue is that styles makes hunts easier? Dont arts do thst too? Whats the difference? Styles allow players to custo.ize their play experience in a more meanigful way than "special move you can do once you build a gauge" by immediately and directly impacting how you play. This gives the game depth. Any issue concerning balance seems like it would be just as easily dismissed as the issues with arts, so whats the difference?

Hey bros looking for advice, im planning a lads weekend in a few weeks for some much fucking needed time off. we all have PC, is there any way i can setup a monster hunter LAN? are there any emulators and roms i could use or are there any PC options??

please help!!

i think ppsspp is your only option

Read the OP faggot

>So the issue is that styles makes hunts easier? Dont arts do thst too? Whats the difference?
Both arts and styles are bad in my book. Styles are completely unbalanced, between themselves and between weapons. The monsters are also not designed to deal with them at all. No amount of balancing will ever fix this, there are simply too many variables to deal with now, and Capcom will never have the time/money/care to update every single monster to properly counter every single art.

>Styles allow players to custo.ize their play experience
I guess the fact here is that you want more choice, even if it makes the game casual. And others prefer the game stays simple but hard.

Its up to Capcom now to see which audience they think is better for MH.

styles should be reworked into something more akin to frontier styles.
no more removing one or two moves and replacing them with gimmicks, instead, dramatically change the entire moveset of the weapon to fit a specific playstyle.

Switch axe is a good example:
3 styles, earth is very similar to regular switch axe, for purists
heaven is a complete rework of the entire weapon, transforming is done automatically depending on the attack, charge attacks, dashing, fade slashes, totally different.
and storm is another rework of the weapon, less dramatic but perhaps the most different in terms of playstyle, you block attacks to build your sword meter, then burn the entire meter in a super sword mode that feels VERY powerful before having to build it up in axe mode again.

the problem is that some frontier styles are strictly better than others, and extreme styles coming in Z1 will be the end all be all. but with proper balance i think this could be the best way for styles to exist.

lick my taint user kun
ლ(⇀╭∩╮↼ლ)

Skills did the "choice" infinitely better but to make their shitty styles worth using they destroyed any variety in skill sets.

help me im considering playing stories with the patch instead of waiting for its western release

i fear that i'll grow lazy and not pay for a legit copy if I do so

I understand why Capcom did styles. I mean after the slight shitshow of CB and IG they realized they cant just keep making new weapons every game. So why not give the old weapons new options, that way you can keep adding new options rather than new weapons and keep giving the player something 'fresh'. But they should have realized they could never balance such a thing.

I think focusing on making the monsters better would have been a smarter choice.

Do you really want to be caught paying for a child's game?

pastebin.com/GaKfEChk

MH WAS NEVER GOOD TO BEGIN WITH AAAHH

I don't know, these two were pretty well liked, and except IG, which isn't hard to nerf, not that OP for new weapons (and not as horribly bad as SA, SA needs a total rework)

I've been playing Monster Hunter for over a decade now, why should I be afraid?

>akin to frontier styles.
Or they could stop fucking around with the weapons entirely.

I got 3U because I liked the idea of water combat and the monster mechanics
I got 4U because I liked the idea of more vertical gameplay and its new monster mechanics
I would get 5 if it had both, and monsters that could cope with it with their own new mechanics

Would you really buy 5 if it was XX, with just more styles or different styles but the exact same game otherwise? The biggest and most important difference between the weapons is the core weapon. A GS isnt like a Lance, a Lance isnt like a Hammer. Thats the big fun choice, and thats what keeps it fresh as you perfect one weapon and move to the next. Im already godlike at Lance, and im godlike at all the styles from the get go because its still the exact same thing. I wouldn't be godlike if they made it we had to fight a monster that had new features.

>I got 3U because I liked the idea of water combat
>I would get 5 if it had both

Who's making Astalos a little bitch?

I mean more they were unbalanced and too strong. Poor hammerbros getting out KOed.

If they keep releasing more weapons they just have to deal with another shitstorm of imbalance every time which they have to fix the next game and on and on.

>the homogenization of making groups of weapons be able to do these set of things just as well as each other, as well as the removal of any need to consider careful positioning (which was built into the design of the series and 90% of the content of this game) gives the game depth

You can't be serious. Fuck distinct weapons with advantages and disadvantages, I can use Brave Greatsword and be a mobile, unstoppable juggernaut who just eats attacks that would otherwise punish me! Fuck positioning too, I can just jump into every attack and get rewarded for it, instead of punished!

What are the viable prowler builds in XX?

>he's a rabid hydrophobic pleb

lmao go back to Portable 3th

Asking again:

How well does MHFU/P3rd run on PPSSPP?
I heard it has terrible input lag when I asked if it ran patapon.

>not wanting to have to jump between small land masses on different heights with water below as well
FLYING CEADEUS

FIGHTING ON A GIANT MAP WITH GIANT PILLARS YOU CLIMB AND JUMP BETWEEN AS WELL AS UNDERWATER COMBAT

FUN DESU

I'll just go back to 4 where they realized what a mistake it was and trashed it

This post is 100% cancer.

>Or they could stop fucking around with the weapons entirely.
that's just the thing, they could, but they likely wont.
i agree they should innovate on the monster front first but they have displayed an unwillingness to make fun and hard monsters, and they DEFINITELY don't want to make new types of monsters, with all of the skeleton re-use going on for all of the new monsters in X/XX

>water removed from P3rd due to being on a handheld
>water still removed from 4 due to being on a handheld

Really makes you wanna dive in and cool off the noggin'

That's only IG, really, CB's KO was only remarkable because they could get the first one instantly with a SAED, apart from that it was much less consistent than hammer, besides, the point of Hammer is not to KO, if you really think out-KO-ing Hammer is enough to invalidate you should really stop taking memes so seriously.
CB was strong because of how phials work, Element phials were insane but really fair but KO phials worked too well for something as generic, pure damage should be lower.

>water removed from 3G due to being on a handhel-
OH WAIT

But everything you said also appllies to arts as much as styles and the guys I was mostly aiming this towards said arts were fine but styles are not. The difference is not explained as far as I can tell. Why are arts okay but not styles? Its also not as simple as just having "choices". Monster hunter is a game that drains a lot of hours. Having different ways to mix that up depending on your team (playing aerial in a 4 man team without an aerial or maybe glaive) or the monster (using adept against a particularly vulnerable monster) is itself a level of strategy on top.

Styles dont detract from difficulty in a way thats detrimental inherently (i dont feel picking a style thats advantageous against a particular target is a bad way to reduce difficulty and should be encouraged, for example). They can be poorly balanced, as its been said arts have been, and the game itself can also be. But I see nothing but benefit from the style system and also the arts to a lesser extent, if only because styles immediately and more obviously impact what you are doing.

Where's the 4G HD port user? Release it please.

>trash it
>bring something a hundred times worse and more intrusive

I came to appreciate underwater combat a lot more when I realized it was MH's take on space fighting

I just wished hunters were a little more mobile/lithe

Which is why I said arts and styles are shit

>Styles dont detract from difficulty in a way thats detrimental inherently
user, I just dont see how you can say this and believe it. And if you honestly do I cant be bothered every trying to convince you otherwise.

this pad is so comfy, i'm glad i put in the effort to get it working on PC.

In an alternative timeline

>people actually give a shit about this
4U wasn't very good either

I'd rather have Newtype hunters.

Oh grandpa! The doctor says you mustn't stay up so late.

>3U got an HD version
>XX will get an HD version
>best game will die on a 240p screen with horrible rectangle ergonomy forever

WAKE ME UP

it really stings that the best MH will be trapped on 3ds forever.

Why are you calling others grandpas when you're the one hating on the newest title and wishing for an old one?

We get it grandpa, Monster Hunter as a franchise is shit and /mhg/ should have been /mh3g/ only

THIS

>hating on the newest title

I didn't at all. Grandpa take your meds.