Evo IX Restoration Part 2

I'm back
this stage of the evo project is done for now, i've pretty much touched on everything i wanted to get done before the engine gets built with a larger turbo

have some pictures

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GywdZlnee3U
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1504878742514.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This isn't your personal blog you fucking faggot

previous state of vehicle

next car after the evo

where i left off last time

Is this the one with the MISHUFIRINGU SYSTEMU

since then, the mail fairy has come

frickin titanium

yes, it is. but we'll get there

and some more stuff

Hell yeah I've been waiting for this thread.

also a tactrix cable and evoscan liscense, and a 200$ insignia windows tablet to keep in the car i forgot to take pictures of. i got a little obsessed with ROM hacking on stock evo ecu's since it showed up and i modded the stock ecu as far as i think is possible with a daily

last picture of the setup before the new changes

there's so much info available and hard work done with the stock EVO ECU it's disgusting, DISGUSTING. I started with disabling the egr and some emissions CELs on the car, and that just didn't seem like enough of a challenge. upon further research, I discovered some really smart dudes actually made a software simulator for the rear o2+heater signals that allows the monitors to still be running and available, and the monitors to pass as if nothing was wrong. you can even use the now-unused 0-5v inputs for a different, but similar purpose

Where the fuck do you live to have a left hand drive EVO? Is it a Mirage conversion?

...the United States?

before installing the ets titanium piping, i had to move the battery into the trunk. piece of cake, and made the engine bay look so much fucking cleaner

so, after i had implemented the rear 02 sim and got it to work, i found another patch that let me to just set both the availability and pass/fail on each emission monitor separately, which blew my fucking mind. i can't tell you how many times i had wished for something like this with previous modified cars of my own. i started to find out about wiring the wideband into the rear o2 sensor input which i wasn't using, which with the right scaling equation, can allow you to datalog wideband AFRs through the obd2 port with everything else, a great boon for this project as i don't have the serial cable required for the aem wideband in the car, or a serial port, or an extra usb port for a usb-serial on the surface pro i datalog with.
it actually worked, too. i couldn't believe it

I read IX as IV. My bad...

People on Veeky Forums don't own Mitsubishis. What is this wizardry?

the piping is in! the wiring is almost done, too. i love wiring. i had to redo fucking everything aftermarket on this damn car, but atleast it's all to my liking now. i go a little crazy with the zip ties, but i'm a sucker for cable management

as i was first getting into the wideband thing, i heard mentions of something called tephramod, but it seemed pretty intimidating for me, as the car had already been tuned by a famous protuner to the very limits of it's stock turbo, and tephramod wasn't just a patch like i had used before and gotten familiar with, it's a complete start-from-scratch package with it's own maps installed, and what's worse- it's feature set includes much higher resolution fuel and ignition mapping- and the new map's scaling wasn't just by 10's or 20's but changed throughout the range, making conversion a fucking nightmare. not to mention all the extra shit i hadn't needed to touch as well as new things going on that i'd have to get to match up with how it was tuned. ugh!

cant wait to see that as a project car

i didnt see the first thread so whats the deal OP with these cars?

the piping as i was installing it, obviously slightly out of order

they sat for 9 years. i enjoy nothing more in this world than involved car projects and i'm lucky enough to get a chance to do it all day for a good freind and get paid. i'm living on the guys farm for a week or 2 at a time as parts come in, i plan to lovingly restore all the cars that are here, and maybe add a few along the way. there's an 89 mr2 and a v8 miata as well

that sounds like the life man im glad youre enjoying doing what youre doing and getting paid for it

the piping is in, before the intercooler came actually. the andonizing took a while on that

so, after making the wideband thing work, i was confident enough to try to do this tephramod thing, regardless of effort involved, because of all the really fucking cool shit it lets you do with the stock ecu, on top of what i already had done, including- (too long- putting in next post)

>"restoration"
>proceeds to hack it up

>no lift to shift (that works fucking great)
>launch maps (mishfiring systemu/bang bang antilag, also works great and builds fucking 20+psi standing still, and sounds neat af, as you can see here- boost guage is the second from the bottom on the a pillar youtube.com/watch?v=GywdZlnee3U . easy enough to implement, as well, with the wideband thing and map tracing tools
>flashing Cel at differing rates upon knock conditions reaching preset limits, which i have also set up to drop boost when bad enough. safety first
>wideband can be used for fuel trim now, but i don't trust it. what i do use, though is another function that drops boost upon going lean over a certain load
>valet mode- really! can set rev limit at like 4k unless you give the secret signal before turning the car on
>psi based boost control tables within stock ecu- have not implemented this yes, as the AEM tru-boost works well enough, but i will in the future when the JDM map comes and the turbo gets upgraded. i can even use the aem 3-port solenoid off the stock ecu, which again blows my mind.
>intercooler sprayer trigger upon knock
>switching between 3 different fuel and ignition maps
>the high resolution maps i mentioned before

and even more shit i cant think of off the top of my head because i didn't implement it. this part of the project was probably the most challenging so far, as i was shitscared of bricking an ecu or going lean in a pull, or some random table i didn't know the use of advancing the timing during a pull, but it was all in my head. everything worked out great- who would ever buy a standalone for an evo when all this is possible and integrates with the factory systems as they should

Any advice on turbocharging my car? Its an E30 and you probably don't know a lot about them since you seem to be into Japanese cars, but is there any wisdom you'd like to pass on? I'm thinking about just going for megasquirt since the stock ECU is pretty useless.

ok, so the intercooler is here! time to take off the cusco bumper bar and the stock ic, and get rid of the god damn rubber elbows. i hate those things, they kept blowing off with even the best of clamps, and i was sick of being ubered to twisty roads at 2am with my tools to take a god damn bumper off on the side of the road in the dark. this happened multiple times, mind you

my advice to you is to only get a megasquirt if you are willing to dedicate 200+ hours to learning everything you possibly can about it, and i also reccomend building one yourself. i did, it's how i cut my teeth on ecu tuning on a shitty project car, and the satisfaction of doing such a thing, as well as the knowledge you gain is invaluble

That's what I plan to do. One thing that I haven't been able to figure out is how do you make the megasquirt plug into your factory harness? Do you get a specific adapter, or do you have to solder the megasquirt plug in place of the original ECU connector?
I definitely plan to learn a lot about tuning it, especially because these engines can take a lot of boost, but only with a good tune.

poof! and it's gone!

so, the solution to the tephramod map scaling thing took me a while to find, but it turns out the same fuckin' genius that made the ROM in the first place also somehow made an excel spreadsheet that you can copy your old tables into, along with the scalings at the top, and it'll interpolate and spit out a new, bigger map- and it works with both fuel and ignition maps! great, just after i spent a couple hours interpolating them by hand first, and fucking it all up. it got all figured out though, and although the higher resolution isn't going to do much now, when the car goes back to be retuned when the next stage is finished it should be a lot easier to nail down drivability and part-throttle performance, as well as AFR's at higher rpm's above 7500rpm, where the stock ecu just interpolated past there before, which can be a pain to tune around. it is at this point i left the computer alone, and after fine tuning the launch maps a little more so the bangs don't start untill the very highest load the engine sees without them, so you have to sit on the limiter and build boost for a second before it starts, so it's still possible to launch normally with that little island of negative timing still there when it's needed. i then saved this version of the rom without a "beta" stamp and backed it up in 3 places and emailed it to myself. i plan on using this rom on further stock turbo evo 9's, as a service on the east coast for enthusiasts that don't have the ability themselves, and so i can interact with some more cool evos and maybe see some stuff i'd like to incorporate. got someone with an 8 coming from ny to have me do his ecu the weekend after next, he has a similar setup to this car, with a stock 9 turbo and no cats fitted, although the lack of mivec will make me have to tweak some tables. i'd like to do this with a couple different setups and be able to offer this on all evo models

oh, and here's the engine bay with the piping and everything fully connected up

we're getting there now, the intercooler is fully bolted down. upon putting on the driver's side intercooler piping with the new ic, i discovered the ACD (active center diff- the thing that the tarmac/gravel/snow selector tells what to do) pump that sits under the headlight won't let me put the piping where it needs to be. what the fuck! this was supposed to be the easy part (its located here on USDM models without the AYC active rear diff only)

somewhat fortunately, it's not the actual pump that interfered, but it's bracket, and it could be made to work with a chunk cut out of one part of it. all in due time, the acd pump is seized anyway from sitting, so it's just gonna have to come out.
the offending ACD pump is pictured, it's behind the red hella supertone horn, i used said bracket that needed to be trimmed to mount the horn too, after my origional spot on the stock bumper bracket got thrown in the box of sad stock parts out in the barn

Mirage conversions are for evo 1-6

so, bye then, for now, ACD pump. I need you on the bench so i can fix you more than i need you on the car. and maybe, if this works out, rebuild others as a service in the future as rebuilt acd pumps are like, 1200$, and the rebuild parts are like 110$, as long as the electric motor is ok and it's the pump part that's dicked, as is the usual failure mode
i moved the horn to the bracket that the acd pump's actual bracket bolts to for now, and i didn't have to extend the wiring like i expected! and you can still see the horn in the lower grille! hooray! (i like hella supertones as a design feature, i'm weird)

so, this is what an ACD pump looks like. i guess i'm gonna just pull it apart and see how bad it is?

oh god damn. the corrosion, this is after an hour with a chisel, it was at this point i discovered there were 2 hidden bolts under this weird white crust. surprisingly enough, my 3/8 impact got'em out without stripping them, fucking SOMEHOW. a miracle, considering i had to grind the heads out of over half of the fasterners so far

turns out, the pump didn't fail through the normal means, where the corrosion does basically the exact same thing it did on this one, but one layer down in the assembly where the gerotor pump is, the white flaky shit gets underneath the pump plate the rotor is against, and fucks up the clearances so it just doesn't build pressure anymore, in this failure mode the pump will audibly run, but at a constant speed- where proper operation has it noticably change in pitch and stop as it reaches the pressure required. this one did neither, the corrosion got into the bearing for the shaft between the motor and the gerotor part, and siezed it completely. now, every time the car turned on after this happened, when the pump was cycled on by the computer all the current went through the windings attached to whichever brushes/commutators were touching at the point it was stuck at, and burned the absolute fuck out of a few sets of windings. funnily enough, after i got the bearing unstuck and everything to turn, i could actually get it to work and build some pressure, but 1/5 times it would stop on the burned part and not restart untill i took it apart and turned it some. i beleive it only worked because the inertia is enough when it gets moving to spin past that bad spot and keep going, as long as it doesn't try to start up at that point. thankfully, i have some experience with rewinding electric motors from my younger days modding r/c cars, so as soon as the wire i ordered comes in and the rebuild kit with new bearings and pump plate comes, this thing should be good as new, and i can offer this as a service if it works- as far as i know nobody else repairs the motor side of ACD pumps, only the pump part

so, now the pipes can go on! can't wait to see this thing with the blue ic and blue cusco bumper beam, all put together! the piping looks cool af too, i almost wish i could leave the bumper and hood off and drive it like that.

after diagnosis, and while we wait for stuff to repair it, the acd pump and all it's parts are boxed and bagged up for now, it's connectors are taped over and ziptied out of the way, and it's hydraulics are capped off. in the dry the car doesn't seem to have any traction problems without acd working whatsoever, but i hear it will effect handling in rain or on dirt, it's really not a big deal, but if i didn't do this part i couldn't truthfully say i did this car exactly how i would've if it was my own. and i meant it when i said that was what i am going to do with these cars.

god damn i really wish bumpers were optional, though. this intercooler is just too neat to cover up. i didn't like the idea when it was being ordered too much, but i reeeeally like it in person, especially with the blue spot andonizing on the piping

and there it is! this is the car as it sits now. i'm still waiting for the aluminum undertray, a bumper quick release system (not the ugly external wire tie type, brush aluminum button releases on custom brackets, pretty neato), and seat drop brackets, and i need to get lug nuts to use with the ARP extended wheel studs. unfortunately, the car is on stock wheels, and finding fancy long, open-ended lug nuts to fit the picture i'm envisioning, is impossible with the kind of base required for these stock wheels. aftermarket lugs are generally for aftermarket wheels and the seat is way different and the internet says i'll die in flames from the passenger seat if i use them. does anyone know what i can do about this without changing wheels? we like the stock wheels a lot, and JUST put tires on them like a week ago.

different angle, sorry it sucks but the others were worse. fuel trims are totally perfect without knock on the same tune with new ic and piping, the load has signifigantly increased with the added airflow all across the map, and the cooling from the bigger ic really helps with the stock turbo tapering down boost and blowing out hot air by redline. i'm using the fuel temp sensor input that was only used for emissions to log a second intake temp sensor, this one in the manifold, so i could see how well the intercooler is doing and if i needed a sprayer, and as expected the temps dropped very signifigantly. no sprayer yet, but with a larger turbo i may end up needing to, we'll see

and now, some previous pics and some unrelated pics taken during this stage

my boss took me with in his 4c to the alfa dealer with him to check out the giulia quadrofoglio. this one had carbon ceramics, was in a beautiful color, and had cool green and white stitching inside.i hope he gets it, it's pretty sounds great and is quite fast as is- and just a tune is good for 604 hp over the 505 already offered, which is nuts. apparently is the california turbo motor with 2 cyls lopped off and the boost upped

rest of the thread is gonna be pics from the last thread, i'll keep it bumped for a day if i have time. i'm back at home now just dickin' around

the mr2 that i intend to put a camry v6 into. it has a really cool 90's black and red leather custom interior with embroidery, i love it. i want to start this and the rx7 like yesterday

thats a 5.0 swapped miata with a solid rear next to it as well

and the miata. i am probably not gonna do anything with this one for various reasons, regarding the title and i just don't want to fuck with it, especially with better candidates availible

bah humbug

mr2 interior

i believe there are conversion harness adapters availible, or you could solder into your harness, what i usually end up doing is making the bulk of the harness from scratch, as i end up using almost entirely different set of sensors as what the car came with, even if it's the origional engine. i like to run speed density on non-daily cars, and always individual coils and sometimes gm 3 bar map as well

That is one sexy interior. Your friendo has great taste

its rediculous, i love it. one seat has mr2 embroidered, the other his last name, in red, of course

i almost cried when i saw this

the mr2's engine was stolen too. the rx7 was taken apart i'd assume for the same purpost but almost everything's there except for the front rotors (?) it was just scattered around fuckin everywhere in the mess

this really hurts. soon...

It's more likely than you think

most evo people seem to be in california, but if by chance any Veeky Forums people on the east coast near pa/nj want their ecu modded and/or tuned i'll hook it up for cheap

captchas getting too complex for my level of consciousness. gonna post one more and go to bed now

dirtbike repair. i don't generally do this kind of thing, but i enjoy testing the limits of my experience
i don't really like carbs

>tfw you click the street signs instead of the cars for the 10th time at 1:30am

those fucking street sign captchas kill me. Sometimes they are easy and other times you get them wrong no matter if you actually select the right squares or not.

i completely forgot to mention the tein suspension with EDFC electronic damping force adjustment actuators and controller with g sensors and shit that i put in this car as well. i'll get into it tomorrow (later today technically)

good night!(morning)

actuators

struts in

too much shit to wire! this part was kind of a fucking pain. the motor drivers connect to the controller wirelessly, but it didn't really matter, as i ended up putting all the modules in one place under the center console

how the stepper motors mount. this system kinda sounds like a printer resetting itself when the engine isn't on, when it is you can't hear it anyway. just like the annoyingly shrill walboro pump(s) in the car that i only started hearing last week after testing the pump (it always made the noise but i never noticed it with the car running until i knew what to listen for after bench testing)

front motor. i don't like the rubber condom things, but i guess they're necessary here. when i was detailing the engine bay with steam it was impossible to not get them wet

the edfc controller. can be set to preset settings on individual shocks, with 64 levels of adjustment per shock, or be set to auto and adjust itself automatically with g-sensors and speed input from ecu, and stiffen/soften specific shocks some arbitrary number of times a second in response to body roll, dive, squat, etc. seems to work well, and the instant difference between hardest and softest when jouncing the bumper with your knee is amazing

i did acually put new rotors and pads on all around, but somehow i didn't take any pictures. i must have been blazing at the time

found a seat pic

the state of this thing when i started. sitting outside since 09 after it was stolen, with the seats missing and an absurd amount of mold in the interior, mad fuckin spiders, and the doors had been closed so long there were intricade ant nests between the bottom of the doors and the sill

i uploaded a webm of the later version of the "antilag"/misfiringu systemu. notice it doesn't really come into effect until the turbo gets to around 6psi by itself

not 100% sure how to link this from a post in wsg but here goes
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1504878742514.webm

>>/wsg/1866904

i always wanted a EVO as a hoonmobile but they are so expensive now.

the battlestation

make jdm wypz great again

Fuck off nigger this is a quality thread

tx

Amazing,.. any tips for someone that would like to do this kind of work as a hobby? I have the will, the time and the money, but honestly I don't know were to start.

Soooo you're saying you don't have the will?

pick a car with a good community behind it. i would have never been able to do this ecu shit without the hard work being done by others, it just takes time to research and learn from the experience of those that have already worked through whatever problems you you had years ago. you just have to have the patience to find the answers

im sorry you spent all that money on a generation of evo with the worst interior

the seats steering wheel shifter cluster and pedals are nice enough. the dash is pretty shitty though

my initial solution to the boost piping blowing apart. it worked great in this iteration, and didn't blow off again once untill it came off in exchange for the new piping and ic

looks really comfy.

Why does that look like an Alfa to me

because it is?

Nice man. I really wish I could be doing this shit it really gets my autism going when I work on cars.

I bet you're the type of turds that complain about Veeky Forums being a shit board
fucking end your subscription to life lad this is what Veeky Forums should be go back to your corvette Vs gtr threads

why do you have so many scrap or project cars user?

thanks for reading! i will try to keep the thread up for today for the weekend crowd. expect me again, in 2-6 weeks or so. i'm gonna start hashing out which turbo, and which engine components for the REAL build, now that the platform is at a good spot to build from without being distracted by doing everything at once as well