Nightmare car purchase

How many of you have actually been "burned" when buying a car from a dealership or private party?

Share your nightmare story of the time you or a friend got zim zammed!

Or share the time you zim zammed somone else (insert evil laughter here). You sneaky little twat.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0J_uf9hyv_Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looking for first car. Im 16 dont know shit about buying/inspecting. Neither does mom. Find '90 somthing celica not too far and within the budget. Advertised as in good condition with new audio. Go to see the car. Its a nice old lady selling it. Shes all smiles. Car looks cool. Paint is fine. Im getting excited. Lets us test drive it. We drive it a few miles down the road and back. Seems good. Paid the lady and took it home. Hell fuckin yes got my first car. Few days later call friends up. Lets go to the mall in my cool celica with pop up lights and nice audio. Halfway to the mall, start hearing a loud noise from the engine bay. Wtf is that? Should prolly turn around and go home. Somthing isnt right. Noise gets louder. Then a BANG! Hear somthing metal tumbling down the road as my car coasts to a stop. Fuck fuck fuck. Call parents, get my ass chewed. But i dindu nuffin! Get back home and theres a fucking puddle of oil where the car was sitting. 3 grand down the drain because a cunty old woman sold us a car with a major oil leak and it shot a rod through engine block.

That was years ago. Still feels bad.

>Proudly announces he is underage
What are you even doing

>10 years ago
>buying first car
>love cars but know nothing about market prices
>pay 4 fucking grand on a VW Golf GTI MK3 which was worth 2k max at this time
>sell it 1 year later for 1.5k
Car was fine besides old tires but I really learned my lesson.

>That was years ago. Still feels bad.
Are you retarded and can't read his post?

Be me
>trade in slushbox econocar for $4k at mom and pop dealership
>even trade for a mustang V6 so I leave with it for nothing out of pocket
Literally every single button in my trade in doesn't work from the AC to the windows and he didn't even test them

>buy first Miata from fat Mexican for $1300
>drives well, low miles, not super pretty
>breddygud.jpg
>agree on the sale, I go to the bank to get cash
>come back, mileage is slightly higher than when I left
>whatever, maybe he took it for one last drive
>driving home
>differential is whining horribly
>it wasn't whining before
>text him about it
>"I'm not a mechanic, I wouldn't know about that"
>mfw
Also found a full hoagie roll behind the seat when I was cleaning it. The bread had been there for at least 6 months judging by condition

>16
>don't really know shit about cars even though I think I do at the time
>want something sporty
>find a 94 v6 autotragic camaro with t-tops in price range
>go look at it, test drive it, drives great with no funny noises
>pay the man and get on interstate to drive it back home
>halfway home on the interstate the engine randomly starts revving higher and we're slowing down
>just lost overdrive
>end up driving all the way back home on the interstate in 3rd gear
>ended up not being too bad of a car
I got to learn how to rebuild my first transmission, and while I was at it, and had a little extra money, I bought a cam for the thing. Had a great sounding "lope-y" idle, but sounded like a broken blender going mach 10 when you pressed the gas. Ended up selling it for 2k (which is what I bought it for). Kinda miss it. It was a dependable turd.
Sounded exactly like this:
youtu.be/0J_uf9hyv_Y

thats a noob move on their behalf.

damn what do you think he did when you noticed the miles went up?

i had a fucking salesman say the same thing when i was justifying my offer and pointing out some issues i found. "oh idk im not a mechanic." its like that teach them that phrase or somthing.

I was never jewed, but my older brother was, really fucking badly.

>he's looking for 1st car, nobody in the family is a car guy, saved up 3.8k
>the only thing we know about cars is word of mouth generalisations "toyotas have the best fuel economy and are the cheapest to maintain"-tier knowledge
>He's looking around for months
>eventually looks in private sales
>Finds a red rover, looks in good condition, I forgot what year, none of us know how to inspect a car properly
>My dad knows the most, changing oils and bad engine smells/sounds, but nothing more comprehensive than that
>Goes with my bro and mum, they do a test drive, everything seems to be in order, my brother is dead keen
>He buys it on the spot when they get back.
>Brother and dad begin to drive back home, hop on the highway
>Mum follows behind
>I'm told the car made an almighty fucking crunch and broke down
>They call up the previous owner and say they are coming back for the money and he can have his shit-pile back
>manage to start the car and it limps at 15kmh back to the other guys place
>don't know what happened next, but my parents cucked out, and agreed to only get 1.5k back and giving the faggot the car back

When it was time for buying my first car, I spent 10 months lurking Veeky Forums and learning as much as I could before I started searching officially.

Needed a winter beater. Found outback wagon in price range. Test drive goes okay, pay for car and pick it up a day or so later. 4 days later I'm driving to my parents place for Christmas eve and as i get there, steam pouring out of the engine bay. Blown HG... almost the purchase price again to fix it. As is, no warranty.

damnit people are absolute shit. there has to be some repercussion for pulling shit like that. people who know their car is fucked one way or another and try to sell it to some unsuspecting hard working victim like its good to go.

are there ways to hide a blown head gasket for a little bit while you try to sell the car? or was it just bad luck?

I've heard of people putting a shitload of that foam crap in to build up compression, then when you keep running the car it washes out and re-blows the motor.

>not getting the car you want to buy get checked: a cautionary tale

My dealership probably tried to fuck me over.
>2008 Scirocco, low mileage, decent paint etc
>drive car around town, don't look too much into it as the dealership has an extensive workshop
>everything fine, bought, registered etc
>first drive to gf over 40km autobahn, suddenly power loss without any notice like the check engine light
>get obd reader out: overboost condition
Apparently the wastegate of a lot of smaller vag engines kicks the bucket somewhere between 0 and 150k km.
>get it back to dealership, they want to charge 800€ for the repair
>get father involved, they back down as they don't want to lose him as a customer
>get repair for free
Don't know whether the used cars get driven around more than through the town but the wastegate got stuck everytime I hit 120+ km/h, causing the power loss. The previous owner (got to know him later on) really didn't notice that as he just pushed the car through town on sundays.

I suspect it was a scam. He nigger rigs it, sells it and pretends to be fair and offers to buy it at a reduced cost when it breaks.

Just weld the wastegate shut.

But private vehicle sales are "as is".

If I sold a vehicle to someone and it broke down, I have no idea if they drove the shit out of it and ruined it.

I've had a salesman say that shit to me, I just replied
>well if you don't know about cars maybe you shouldn't be selling them
And that shut him up

It's a little different if it broke down from internal issues not 15 minutes after buying it.

There's no legal recourse for private sales, except contacting the police to investigate people for assets/property received through deception. If there are prior instances of fraud-like practices these lowlives are pinged on the pigs might do something to harass them. Small claims are a waste of time and money.

Yeah, I'm sure when he looks at his paycheck every week, first thing that comes to his mind is "wow that user really put me in my place, I shouldn't be doing this for a living"

Kill yourself tonight

this entire website runs on the gas of lets tell stories that never happened as an anonomas user to anonomas users to fell better

Well the dealer is now out of business so I don't think he looks at that paycheck anymore

Probably drove to a shop and swapped the diff to a shitty one.

>2 years ago
>Buying first car
>fairly nice 2000 audi a4 with 78000 miles and no rust
>decide to buy for 3500
>car runs great but has a strange smell
>weeks later find first mouse nest behind glove box
>spend next few months finding nest after nest
>practically strip interior
>find more in trunk, engine bay, shifter bay, under carpet, in doors
>finally clean everything out and car still runs great to this day

>be 17
>Mother's co-worker who I house sat for is moving
>They offer their old 91 Pathfinder for 250 bucks
>Buy it because why the fuck not it's got new tires too
>Know there's an exhaust problem, snapped exhaust stud
>Me and my dad go at it
>Take the manifold off
>There wasn't even a fucking stud
>They sealed up the hole with fucking JB Weld
>Take a Dremel tool to it, thinking we can just run an oversized stud
>Turns out the past owner tried that
>They drilled too deep
>Get the weld out, coolant starts pouring out because they drilled into a water jacket in the head
Fun times

Fell for the toyota meme. I bought a hilux that wound up being a fucking basket case. Drove a good 200ish miles to get it. Got there and everything seemed in order. Drove and ran fine. Drove it back 200 miles no problem. Week after I get it it develops some weird delayed starting issue that never got tracked down. Also developed a timing chain rattle. Got underneath it one day and found out it was a lost cause. Frame was rusted clean through. Transmission also started popping out of gear in first and third. Wiring was a fucking mess.

>be me
>18 and owns a automatic civic
>ricerocket.jpg
>goes and looks for stick shift on cl
>1985 Celica Supra for 3k
>didnt know anything about cars yet
>asks owner to test drive because I couldnt drive stick
>didnt know how to lower price
>buys
>finds out head gasket is gone, piston rings are also leaking
>have to refill oil more than a brapper
>engine overheats constantly
>month later car suddenly turned off in middle of road
>clutch also worn out completely cant shift or even drive without car stalling out
>previous owner completely fucked up the body
>sold to spic for 500 bucks

Own a 325is now, happiest person on earth. Ive since learned propper maintence skills and the such.

This just recently happened to me. Bought an 06 camry in seemingly great condition from a dealer. Not even a week later, the steering wheel lock engaged while i was driving it, and i completely lost control of my vehicle. Luckily i didn't crash, but it was fucking nerve wracking. Now i'm reading that toyota has recalled over 400,000 cars for steering issues, and i'm fucking mad that these dealers sold me a dangerous car. What do?

>buy '02 Mitsubishi galant with the 4g64
>car was destined for scrap (po hit a curb and DESTROYED the sub-frame, control arm mounting place is cracked and flexes, causing the tire to violently change direction - the entire car was unsafe as fuck and would steer you towards oncoming traffic if you let off the throttle. applying the gas and letting off took precision just to keep a straight line

>go to MEINEKE after-hours (if you ever need illegal shit done..)
>have them lay a bead of weld on the subframe over the cracks (about 3" from the aluminum AT transmission case)
>car now maintains geometry, subframe does not flex and the car drives actually very good
>its on 17x7 STEEL WHEELS off a fucking dodge charger (this is a fwd mitsubishi)
>3" wheel poke in front and stanced rear (offsets how the fuck do they work)
>couldn't afford coils so stock ride height
>no shop will touch it so i do the alignment my self

it was a white car and i sprayed the steelies in white, actually looked pretty decent (for a cheap ricer) the body was fairly clean too.

all in I had $300 in the car. and it was pretty rice looking so i was happy with it. the wheel/tire setup added a lot of width to the track and it made it follow the road like a little racer

>then the subframe broke again
>took it back to the same shop
>had to talk them into fixing it again
>welded it up HUGE this time, car drive a bit worse
>sold it on craigslist (didn't tell them SHIT)
>Got $1,700 cash

$1400 profit and i drove it for about 6 months

>selling people literal scrap

>be me
>old 4x4 got stolen
>want some sikk 4x4 action
>find exploder
>cel on
>4x4 works perfect
>buy for 500$
>start fixing shit
>replace icm and clean maf
>cel gone
>3 days later
>waterpump starts pissing everywhere
>replace waterpump
>everythings fine
>1 month later the transfer case starts to sound like shit and shifting into reverse is a loud as fuck clunk
>replace transfer case
>4x4 is good again
>week later it literally eats a fucking hub and starts clicking when engaged giving me 3wd
>fix that with junkyard part
>couple weeks later the valve cover gasket literally disintegrates while the engine is hot
>engine is now a big ass ball of fire
>get fire put out get new valve cover
>next month
>engine has a dead miss
>engine apart twice cant find the problem
>assuming microfractures in the head
>rear diff was already going bad and im sick of fixing shit
>junk the car before i waste any more $$

>drive fucking 200 miles to get a vehicle
>don't go under it
user what the fuck

>bought a classic toyota truck without inspecting it for rust

dude man bro

>bought white trash shitbox to do white trash things in
>trash it up even further
>its broke and not enough welfare to cover parts
>scrap it for meth money

Kek

>he doesnt like goin innawoods and doing white trash shit

1300$ in parts was enough to call it quits in half a year, any reasonable person would come to that conclusion

here have a double rainbow faggot

>butthurt benchracer

>selling people literal scrap

People like you deserve to burn. Sell it to the DMV for $1000 or so and cut your losses next time.

>implying implications

my offroader is a Suzuki Sidekick 1.6l MT 4x4

only mine runs and hasn't been scrapped for crystal

then you are just as white trash you double nigger.

fyi i scrapped it for dragon dildos

>Sell it to the DMV for $1000

this isn't a thing you autist

>cut your losses next time.

i bought it for $200 there were no losses involved. unlike the retards in this thread I actually bought it fully knowledgeable about it being unsafe to drive hence the price

I DID look under it. Motherfucker filled the holes with putty or something and painted it because the rust holes weren't there and the frame was mostly black.

>spend 5 minutes with sand paper and $1 can of spray paint
>autist hand over cash in fist

What ever happened to Brosifine and his stupid teeth truck?

>classic suzuki offroader
>white trash

>literally babbys first 4x4

knock it off cheesedick, Samurais are dope little cars

go cook another batch you incestuous mongoloid

>likes zukis and FJs

ARE YOU ME?

my first 4x4 was a '89 F150 pickup with the C6 3 spd and a 351w V8

trust me a suzuki will run circles around any full sized truck platform

>buying first car that isn't a hand me down
>its an 89 Mustang hatch
>go to look at it
>older British guy
>he teaches me how to drive stick and laments on how they don't have anything like these back in the UK
>hes selling it because he was apparently going back soon
>bought it for $4000 even though it has over 120k miles and the paint is a mess
>~6 months later
>has now started burning oil or transporting it to another dimension because the check oil light keeps coming on
>transmission makes a lot of scary noises
>not sure if crazy but hear slight whine in 4th gear
>runs like shit sometimes
>CEL for what I'm thinking is the EGR valve and an o2 sensor, dealing with shitty pre OBD2 ECU codes here

I still like it though, and its fun to drive. I'm thinking about putting a little elbow grease into the cosmetics and restoring to to something passable and then selling it.

>learns to drive manual
>fast foward 6 months
>LOL THE TRANS IS MAKING NOISE GUYS

yeah it was totally the previous owner, a British guy who probably drove standard trans his entire life. not the new driver

In my area it is a thing. Depending on your income, you can get up to $1500. My sibling just traded her decrepit jetta for that amount last week. It's probably a local thing then, considering I live in commiefornia.

>i bought it for $200 there were no losses involved
>I actually bought it fully knowledgeable about it being unsafe to drive hence the price

You sold it knowing damn well it wasn't worth what you sold it for even when it was fixed up. That in itself is low. No matter what, taking advantage of people's lack of knowledge is awful.

It's what I did to get rid of it, funny enough. Sold it for about what I bought it for. Felt like a scumbag, but hey.

Regardless, still spent WAY too much for what it is.

4 grand is becoming the norm for a rough fox

>You sold it knowing damn well it wasn't worth what you sold it for even when it was fixed up

don't buy used cars without checking them out first

whats even better is the people that bought it from me actually contacted me around a year later and told me how great the car has been to them

>commie recommending someone to actually use cash-for-clunkers

fuck you

that program is solely responsible for the destruction of millions of classic cars

it was a government scam to reduce the amount of available cheap cars to force people into prius and micras

either way
>buy cheap car with clean title in non-driving condition
>make it drivable
>flip it for profit

how to make cash like a mexican

should of bought an LS1 fbody lmao

>cheaper than shit condition fox
>actually handles better and isn't much heavier despite what Veeky Forums thinks
>its faster stock than a highly modified foxbody with a 5.0

Is reading comprehension not your strong suit?

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of them go for around there now. I'm glad that even though its still a piece of shit, its pretty clean. Minimal rust for a Kansas/Midwest car.

I was thinking about selling it but I honestly want to restore it and just keep it maintained and going. I hadn't really planned on any mods or anything other than a rear disk conversion. I'm afraid the fucker I would sell it to is going to molest it and crash or otherwise irreparably ruin it.

Not a fan of any of them except the late trans am. I'm not a big muscle car guy either, I'm much happier with the Toyota Matrix XRS I have now.

ive got one from today actually

>get a new hire at work
>black kid, ghetto as hell, neck tats, mumbled ebonics, "rapper" and laughs like lil wayne but overall a decent dude
>hes 24 and doesnt have a car
>try to guide him into buying a cheap used car since hes broke as fuck and only has 500 to put down
>tell him things to look for and listen for, dont buy some money pit luxury car etc
>says hes going to look at cars over lunch since a dealer has sort of approved him
>tell him good luck
>2 1/2 hours later i see my coworkers under the hood of a car
>i walk up to see a fucking early 2000s Caddy that he bought
>dont even know what it is, the badges are gone along with all the chrome trim
>some kind of black gummy goo covers the car
>under the hood looks pretty clean, the v8 runs pretty quiet
>"okay maybe not so bad"
>coworkers were under the hood because the A/C doesnt run (live in the south)
>take a look inside
>looks like a war happened inside, panels missing, electric seat panels gone, loose wires exposed, everthing is stained and ripped to shit
>none of the electronics work and everything is electric
>"what year is it"
>"i dunno mane"
>"uh okay what kind of mileage?"
>"i dunno mane"
wish i was fucking joking
>"alright lets check it out
>hop in drivers seat
>turn it over, starts okay-ish
>the screen on the instrument cluster starts listing about 8-10 different issues, engine light on
>wont even fucking display the odo, still dont know the mileage
>go back under hood
>ZERO motor mounts, have no fucking clue how this thing even made it from the dealership
>"so how much did you end up paying?"
>"8"
>"$800 isnt too bad i suppose, will need some serious work but at least it runs"
>"8 g's mane"
>"holy fuck bring this piece of garbage back right now"

I feel bad for him, yeah its his fault for jumping the gun on some "ballin-mobile" but fuck, is it even legal to sell a car without mounts? Only 30 more months payment though...

>don't buy used cars without checking them out first
No shit
>whats even better is the people that bought it from me actually contacted me around a year later and told me how great the car has been to them
You're lying.

>commie
First of all, eat shit and rot. I'm not happy about living in one of the worst states possible.
>fuck you
And up yours too. To think that I don't appreciate older cars, what with browsing Veeky Forums.
>that program is solely responsible for the destruction of millions of classic cars
>buy '02 Mitsubishi galant with the 4g64
>car was destined for scrap
>go to MEINEKE after-hours (if you ever need illegal shit done..)
Kek, you even admit to it being garbage in the beginning of your first post. And as if a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant is even a "classic"/a car worth a damn.
>my sibling's Jetta
Not a classic either.

>either way
>buy cheap car with clean title in non-driving condition
>make it drivable
>flip it for profit
>how to make cash like a mexican

You even equating yourself to wetbacks. Jesus, you're justifying every pathetic thing you can think of.

Just fuck off already.

bought BMW 135i. Spent literally 3.7k on it in first 3 months of ownership. Just had the fucking window motor go out and the window is stuck open.

Considering trading it. What do
?

Who the fuck buys a 15 year old audi for a first car?
It clearly worked out for you but that seems like a dumb decision to make.

>buy $5000 ute
>drive home
>go to the shops for milk
>runs great
>rev v8 to try to impress sluts walking past
>not impressed
>buy milk
>get in car
>won't start
>sluts laugh
>call bloke i brought it from
>"lol, dunno bye"
>tow truck home for $100
>fuck around trying to fix it for a week
>give up
>get auto electrician in
>fucked ignition module and switch thingy on the gearbox
>$1500 repair

Congrats, you're retarded.
Lurk /dat/ next time. There are commonwhore and falcon enthusiasts that know every intimate detail of every model of hoonmobile.

>testing for an electrical component that's about to shit itself
Just lol, brainlet

only actual retards use the term "brainlet" unironically

I believe he means after the fact, i.e, don't call a sparky, ask the cunts that worship the commodes and fee-aytes.

>using the term "unironically" unironically
Ok, I'm retarded.

>Apologizing on Veeky Forums

Onya mate.

You're as smart as a camery owner.

>tfw never got scammed when buying a econobox because I took it to inspection first
feels gud

>Shoved car key up ass before selling

Not a car, but I bought a piece of shit Kawasaki GPZ500 once for way too much money. The owner said he had overhauled the engine, but it was a lie. After just 500km the engine shat itself and nobody had ever rebuilt it. Wasn't into wrenching back then so a friend of my dad's repaired the engine; parts were very expensive.
Then when I got it running again it worked for about 1000km until it burned a valve. To fix that I replaced the cylinder head with a used one from another bike, but then the bike lost oil pressure so I just gave up and sold it as parts for a ridiculously low price.

That was 10 years ago but I haven't owned a Kawasaki ever since and probably never will.

Check /r/personalfinance if you want some real horror stories. People paying 50k for a 25k car after taking terrible finance deals and low monthly payments

keep an eye out for class action lawsuit against toyota and see if you cant take it back to the dealers? I hate to say it but chances of you winning anything legal against the dealers is slim to none (they lobby like hell and no one stops them. laws now favor dealers). Write a bad yelp review, too

family member got a subaru
>head gasket
>ringland failure
>turbo blown
previous owners ran a very bad tune

>1700 dorrar
I hope that's exactly how much you lost in repairs and the purchase price, because if you tried to make an actual profit then you're destined for hell just like all those mexicans.

When is /dat/ happening? Veeky Forums newfag checking in

>BMW owner

Who the fuck buys a 15 year old car??

It's a bit of a grey area to be honest. If the car breaks down on the drive home I would be pretty pissed too. On the other hand, my parents once sold their own minivan to a family that took it on a cross-country road trip and then brought it back demanding a full refund. There were no problems with the minivan they just wanted a free rental

/dat/ basically died, people got sick of bumping the thread, and sometimes the mods would just delete it for no reason.

It's easy to summon the aussies though.

Daily reminder that these people need to be purged from society. Had 3 acquaintances literally die when their botched frame weld came apart at 75mph

(OP)
My brother bought a BMW from some Indian guy who was cheap as fuck and didn't do any maintenance on the car

First month or driving, issues with alternator, than interior pieces started falling out, than battery died, than tires flat, used tires, and other side flat again within a few weeks

>Told my brother not to fall for the BMW meme, but he was really happy to just have a BMW
>I told him the guy hasn't been doing maintenance on the car, and has probably been farting in the car for years

He still bought it but now has to deal with it and it wont be easy getting rid of it/selling it

If whomever bought it from you dies from it breaking again and slamming them into a oncoming traffic that death is on your head.

The type of scumbags who do this shit and try to turn a profit are sociopaths. They won't care unless they are legally culpable for the death.

>I'm 16
MOOODS

Stuff like that is easily fixed yourself. Get the parts from scrapyards/crashed donor cars and watch a video on how to install them. Its just a window motor and nothing critical like your brake system.

this is why black people will be poor forever

>Subaru owner

>being THIS assblasted
holy shit cry more

>t. Asshurt used car salesman

The irony of you telling anyone to kill themselves

Yep, there's not much i can do. The recalls were for avalons. Also, the problem occurs at random and i can't recreate it, therefore its basically my word against theirs. I've been researching the issue and i'm thinking the ignition lock cylinder is going bad.

> be 17 y/o me, knowing nothing about cars
> find $1.3k camry on craigslist
> 140k on the odo, drives fine, even has 2 10" subs
> looksgood.jpg
> buy car from nice mexican fellow
> first problem was trying to get on my dads insurance, it was a salvage title
> odo rolled back
> 4 mismatched tires
> friend notices rear wheels are unusually close to rear fender
> massive frame damage thats been jose'd
> suspension so bad it literally floats up and down on the freeway
> 3 weeks later drive over a speed bump and steering column cracks

but it's not over yet..

> about 2 months later get a bill from some tow yard about a car I don't own
> find out there is 3 shit boxes registered to my name now
> somehow clear it all up with a phone call to someone at the DMV
> fucking jose

You know you lost faggot. Kill yourself.

>buy a gutted, track prepped 944 off a guy in jersey
>test drove it, it seems fine, guy was honest about an oil leak, threw in another set of wheels, a number of spares, etc for 2,300 dollars
I have had a lot of fun both dd'ing and tracking this car over the past 2 years now, but the first week...
>attempt to change wheels, jack the car up
>attempt to put it on 4 stands
>realize that it's not contacting the front right stand
>"huh, i thought they were all at the same height"
>take another look at the car from dead-on
>realize that the stands are at the same height but the chasis is twisted to fuck

How do you take the bus everyday if you can't even read the routes?

BEANED