ITT: Subtle must-haves

Post subtle features you can't live without.

Pic related. If a vehicle does not have a cubby here, its interior was designed by absolute fucking morons. I take my wallet, phone, and keys (push button start) out of my pockets and put them here every time I drive. I am NOT giving up a cupholder for my phone. There are modern car designers TODAY who give you no cubby for your phone, despite infotainment systems having Android Auto/Apple Carplay which requires a wired connection.

I have blacklisted entire brands for not having this cubby. Looking at you, Volvo.

Other urls found in this thread:

mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/bsm/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Decent cloth seat option. Not a fan of leather seat.

>push button start

Manual transmission

I don't like it either but they put it on every car so I have no choice.

so buy an older car instead of getting jewed at a dealership.

My daily doesn't have push button. My wife's grocery getter does.

Either way, it doesn't negate my point. I need a cubby for my phone. Your infotainment system hooks up to my phone. If you don't give me spot for my phone that doesn't render a cupholder unusable, all of your interior designers need to be gassed. It's as if they never actually tried using their own car before shipping it.

I don't like touch screens.

Dumb as it sounds, I prefer a car with buttons that have tactile feedback for the radio, clock, all that kind of shit.

Not dumb at all.

Honda went all touch with capacitive side buttons in the 2017 Accord.

In the 2018 they realized their idiocy and brought back real button with actual volume and tuning knobs. Touch only is unsafe to operate while driving. Tesla is retarded.

exactly, I have so much trouble just changing something like the radio station on touchscreens while driving.

I was driving a rental Dodge minivan when I moved a few weeks back, no way I could've changed that radio station while driving. On the other hand, my old lexus just had a dial I turned, not some complicated-ass menu i have to go through to change the station

Music / Audio that automatically turns on when you start the car up. If I wanted it on, I'd turn it on.

I was greatly distressed when dodge came out with their current all inclusive setup.

I'm right there with ya.

>Music / Audio that automatically turns on when you start the car up. If I wanted it on, I'd turn it on.
And yet, the vast overwhelming majority of people don't want to have to enable it manually.
Just turn it off when you stop the car. It's that simple.

Features I need:
> Ergonomics.
If I have to hunt for things, I'm not buying the car.
> USB audio without needing a separate device to be plugged in every time or operated separately
Not going back from this. No more aux lead or fiddling with bluetooth.
> Ability to refresh all air in the cabin within five seconds
Rice, batter, and flatbreads don't always settle well with me. I want to get the resultant farts out the fucking car before the plastic fittings start to corrode.

The only thing I really enjoy on modern cars is the USB audio port and steering wheel controls.

The second generation Fit Sport has the best of both worlds: USB audio with steering wheel controls, but no "infotainment" touch screen bullshit and physical buttons for everything.

Arm rest. I thought it was a meme at first, but it's really comfy on a longer trip.
I am a poorfag, so I would not be able to buy newer car for a long time, but touch screens and cars don't really sound right to me, I avoid using my phone because I am not sure what I am pressing.
A good heater, I can't care less, because I get headaches, but my current car has a godlike heater (probably because it takes less coolant) and I am not giving it up.

>I can't care less about AC
I mean.

the volvo has a larger cubbyhole behind that control panel IIRC

I don't mind it. Prefer keys but my inner ten year-old enjoys pushing a big button that says POWER to start the engine.

At least some of them did.

Dumb as hell, why put that plastic panel in the way?

The glovebox flashlight, I don't know if any cars besides bmw have this but it's incredibly thoughtful and doesn't use batteries.

my god that's an ugly interior

only thing i like about it is the dashmounted ignition

Cleans up how the center console looks.

>plywood

If you want to look like you're driving Ikea furniture

>Ikea furniture
How oddly fitting.

Push button start is objectively better than keys

Oddly, bench seats

Bucket seats seem to lose a "comfy" factor for me

>minimilistic
>ergonomic
>top half of waterfall dash i pure radio/phone buttons
>lower half is climate control
>cubby behind waterfall
>still have cupholders under the sliding door
>dash mounted key switch

this picture makes it look ugly but i love it in person, very easy to get used to

In what way? If it's a car with the keyless stuff and you just need the chip in your pocket, sure, but a disturbing number of cars have a key to unlock the wheel and then push button start, which bonehead as you've moved from a single action needed for starting to two actions needed for starting for no compelling reason.

Add flipping a kill switch, opening the choke and priming the carb for the real driving experience, I guess.

I've never used a Push-Start car before, how does it work? all you have to do is push the button and it starts? so theoretically you can drive around without the keys in ignition, or the car, correct?

A lot of cars have the rf chip things now. You walk up to the car, it unlocks, get in, press start. The "key" stays in your pocket. When you get out and walk away it locks.

Lot of electronic crap that can break, to me.

my car has keyless, it has the retard-proofing clutch press as well
>sit in car
>no dock for the keyfob, keep it in your pocket or one of the cubbyholes
>clutch in
>press POWER button
that's literally it.

mine doesn't lock or unlock itself, there's a little button on the door handle that you press and if the key is within about 2 feet of the car it'll unlock or lock

Power windows with an auto close function. So many cars only have auto open windows or auto close for just the drivers window

>tfw so many places for phone

also a second glove box with usb just for phone and usb drives

Most do, e.g. all the s 60s that I know of.

The space behind the dials, which has a cupholder.
And the little cubby next to the large closable paper holder. That little cubby is cooled, perfect for hot summer days to charge your phone.

Every time I step into a normal car I miss it. Never do they have enough space right there.

While I like my cream leather seats, I fucking love checker patterned cloth ones
They're so cosy looking, they make me jealous

Not exactly minor things but my requirements:
Cloth seats with bolsters, thick steering wheel because gorilla hands, safe place for phone (not a shallow tray because shit flies out mid corner) and a dash that does not reflect light in the windshield.

Also big mirrors. Fuck having to spin around like a retard just so your car can look 1% better.

Safe place for phone is called a pocket on your pants.

That's just poking you and distracts you.

On my less comfortable pants I find it gets in the way of my hip movement so I can't go ham or in general drive comfortably. Fuck shallow pockets.

>Fuck shallow pockets.
Truth, overly shallow/tight pockets are an instant dealbreaker for me.

Confirmed for shitty, easily-distracted driver.

Mercedes Sprinter
My work has 2 of these as guest shuttles... always in the shop, half the shit breaks in a few months after fixed, dashboard looks like Christmas lights year round.

But yeah that cubby behind the dials is nice.

We have the VW version.
Did 150k km no problem and we abuse them, it's basically always over 3500kg.

I regularly forget to turn my phone sound and vibrations off.
Which is no problem when it's in a cubby, but when your phone keeps vibrating in your pants it's just annoying as fuck.

it's an ash tray

I must have physical nobs for my A/C. None of that thermostat shit. I just want to be able to crank it to the temp I want and the fan setting I want. That was the perfect design, no need to "fix" it.

was in a Volvo the other day and my god was the center console the least intuitive I've ever used

I have this cubby but it's not big enough for my phone >.

To be fair phone is too big for most cubby

I like my black leather in winter time. Gross as hell during the summer though.

>minimilistic
>top half of waterfall dash i pure radio/phone buttons
>needing half a dash for your radio
>minimal

I agree. I don't like the coOmputer in car tRend either...bmw.

A good and hearty indicator/turn signal click. For some reason it just makes me feel comfy.

Again; you're a shitty, forgetful, easily-distracted phoneslave of a driver.

buy a volvo, peasant

Trust me that I haven't had that problem since my first car. Fuck Renault Lagunas. Long ass barge with side mirrors almost as big as the ones in the sun visors.

i've read your post multiple times now and i can't for the life of me translate it to english

whatever you said about french shitboxes is irrelevant, buy a volvo or you're a subhuman peasant

But volvos are expensive to maintain and I'm a jew at heart an/o/n...

oh. well then, carry on

he hasn't had a problem with blind spots (pic is a volvo blind spot detector thing) since his first car, which was a renault laguna. this car was long and had small side mirrors so visibility wasn't very good. now does not have the laguna any more so the problem is gone. need me to wipe you down as well, retard?

is meant for
plot twist: i am actually the secret retard of this thread

you mum

Was it actually hard to understand? Should I burn my English certificate?

smart cruise control. thought it was a gimmick at first -- but can't live without now. and i'll never buy a car again, SUV and pickup truck sight lines >>>>>>>

all you need is a disability parking pass since you're capable of understanding other autistics' dialect

I moved from an early '90s Geo Prizm to a 98 Saturn to an '04 Cavalier with 194k miles, to my new 2016 Civic EXT.
I've gotten used to all the great features in new cars, like heated seats, moonroof, working brakes, etc.
But Honda's Lanewatch camera is fucking based. There's not only a backup camera, but a camera on the passenger side mirror, which activates when you use your right turn signal or (push the button to keep in on) that shows you your blind spot (pic related).
This shit is so based, especially driving in an area with a bike lane.

no or small cupholders. I live in europe and stil it amazes me how reta/rded european interior designers a/re. I have a fucking chrysler neon, a compact car, cupholders of which can hold a large coffee/0.5l drink bottle, with the drivers cupholder holding a modern phone or a 1-1.5ll botle of a beverage. and there are fuckign 4 or 5 of them. My friend had a 2004 bmw 3 coupe and that fucker had none of those, and his moms saab had those shaky plastick cd tr/ay tier shits. I understand, we all want a little luxury in our lives, but i'd rather drink my coffee while driving/standing in the rush hour traffic than rubbing my dick over how EXPENSIVE MY INTERIOR IS.

>and keys
I never remove keys from pockets. This mandatory rule keeps me from accidentally locking them in the car.

I absolutely do not want RF automatic unlock when I am near the car. Too many muggers and car prowlers even at gas stations, parking lots, and ATM.

My current car does not let me take a nap when reclining the seats. That lumbar thing uncomfortably bulges upwards when reclining.

The newer Mazda6's have that but it doesn't show on the camera. A light just turns on in the rear view mirror. Less distracting that way imo.
mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/bsm/

I can somewhat understand that sentiment, but honestly having the camera view is really helpful when someone is being a dick and refusing to let you switch lanes or something and you have to get over and ensure you don't merge into anyone.
I've had to use it in that context twice, and it's been really helpful.

and you can turn it on and off at will, and decide whether you want it to turn on when you use the turn signal or not

You and me both, user. A satisfying indicator/windscreen wiper stalk is a lovely feeling.
Only ever encountered it on old Jap cars (my AW11 and my brother's NA MX-5) but having the indicator stalk on the right side of the steering wheel feels so much better so my left hand's free to change gears.

Variable intermittent wipers

This wiper stock is the greatest wiper stock ever to exist, and its mostly only in Ford trucks. Raining just a little? Twist it forward a couple clicks. Keep driving, windshield is starting to get a little more wet between wipes? One more click and it will immediately wipe once and shorten the interval thereafter. Off, five levels of intermittent, then continuous, then fast. All on the same selector in one switch travel range. Just push in the knob for some windshield juice.

When the wipers are on continuous in my M3 and I stop at a traffic light, they automatically change to intermittent. That's all neat and stuff, but all that technology and they can only manage one level of intermittent?

My girlfriend's LGT has some intermittent levels, but you have to pull the stock to intermittent, and then twist the knob to your interval level, and it's not even labeled which way is more or less.

Wiper controls peaked with Ford trucks in the 1990s

>tfw jeep MJ is bone stock
>want to add intermittent wipers when I build a new steering column for it
The only upside to this shitpile is that adding whatever option I want is relatively simple.

>Live in 95.87% white town
>Key never leaves ignition
>Car never gets locked

I can't imagine locking keys in a car

I think some other mopar stuff had some good intermittent wipers in the 90s

My 2003 MR2 has a similar stalk.
Up does it once and back to off. Each level down gets faster. End of the stalk turns so you can change the speed of each level down too. Pull it toward you for washer jets.
Having it all on the one stalk with wipers and indicators like the one you posted would confuse me for a while.