Whats the most amount of miles on a used car you would still consider purchasing? 130,000? 150,000? 200,000?

Whats the most amount of miles on a used car you would still consider purchasing? 130,000? 150,000? 200,000?

Keep in mind this would be your only car for a while and needs to be kept on the road.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dI0bz8klFmI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are you buying a car or are you buying a mileage number?

Do not buy Uber cars. They are worthless.

It depends on the make/model. Some older trucks I'd still buy at 200k if they were taken care of. Now, a 2005 Ford Focus? Wouldn't buy it with more than 100k

Doesn't matter because all the odo readouts are pure fiction here anyway.

Depends on how well it was maintained. I bought my scoob at 155k, it's now at 187k and is still chugging along.

Why even bother posting in the thread? Pls go so OP gets some actual help

I'm being helpful by pointing out OPs retardation.
A car can go 500kkm without an engine rebuild (and has a engine from before engineering decision were made by salespeople) if it's properly maintained and can shit itself after 50kkm if its abused.
Ignore the odo and buy the car for what it is.

This is the dumbest answer I've heard so far. Sure, it depends on the maintenance, but the odometer is the best starting point to consider when looking for vehicles. Stop acting like cars will magically last forever if basic maintenance is done.

anything after 100k miles you'll have to drop $10k to replace the tranny and most of the engine

I'd have a hard time spending over a grand on something 200k+ if it wasn't a truck. It doesn't mean they're bad cars, just higher risk for critical failure.

>100k miles
>tranny and engine are fucked
How would you even spend 10 grand on rebuilding both regardless?

>100k miles engine/tranny needing a rebuild
Is this the power of American engineering?

>$5k for new tranny
>$1k for new fluids (including radiator, brakes, etc)
>$1k for new brake pads and rotors
>$500 for new tires
>$2k for other random shit that'll pop up

>$10k
sounds more like german

Makes me laugh when Euros make fun of American cars and the only thing they have to point to is Mercedes and BMW. Everything else made over there has a 1.2L turbo that shits itself before 80k :(

>>$5k for new tranny
>>$1k for new fluids (including radiator, brakes, etc)
>>$1k for new brake pads and rotors
>>$500 for new tires
>>$2k for other random shit that'll pop up

>t. has never bought a used car with over 100k miles

Buddy you're getting ripped off if you think replacing all fluids in a car costs 1k. Same thing if you think replacing your rotors and brake pads costs 1k.

And if your brake pads and rotors cost 1k, you're going to need a lot more than $500 for the tires

>$1k for brakes
>$1k for all the fluids
What jew are you taking your car to, user?

Some of us don't have the luxury of being able to do our own car work or having a mechanic friend

That's what you get when you don't listen to Scotty

I got my truck at 195k miles. Over the course of 4 years, it took less than $1,500 out of me. And that's including shit I was too retarded to do myself.

The Subaru dealership

My dude, my dad taught me how to change brake pads and rotors the right way (torqued bolts etc not bubba'd) and it didn't take me more than 1 1/2 hours, and I was 16.

If you have the time to shitpost in a thread, you have time to do that. Besides,

>thinking changing fluids and brake pads requires a master mechanics knowledge

>regularly buy cars with 150k+
>never experience catastrophic systems failures
stop buying shit cars and actually do an inspection beforehand

I think we all fell for the bait. Kudos, OP

my mechanic quoted me 400 for breaks and rotors, the fluids were only 150

>>regularly buy cars with 150k+
>>regularly buy
>>regularly

wonder why

>you can only buy one car

>cosmetic restoration
>sell for profit
that's why

Uber

I live in an apartment in the city and don't have a place to do my own car work

Depends entirely on what it is. I've seen 100k junkers and 180k champs. I got a 99 camry years ago with 185k and I still use it for work now at 230k. Not tearing up a good car with the work run and barely anything has gone wrong (fuel pump, alternator belt).

Maybe it's luck, but I've squeezed a lot out of geriatric cars.

I just bought a 06 4Runner with 216k. It was a mom-mobile commuter with a long, consistent service history at Toyota dealerships. Runs like a champ and my go-over and inspection found nothing concerning, but I do need to get the timing belt done soon.

it's called going to your parents or friend's house.

>2k for fluids, pads, and rotors

My Isuzu has over 210k. My commute is 120mi. A day 5 days a week. Did some 4x4ing last weekend and took a 1000mi road trip last month.

200,000k if it is a Toyota/Honda or if its a pickup truck that wasn't molested by modern standards.

150,000k Hyundais,Nissans, Subarus

100,000k if its German/American

Same, 2005 Camry at 200k currently, got it at 130k. Worst thing is the battery dying so far. Push my luck with the Toyobaru

Depends on the car and the use.

I wouldn't go too high for the year on a daily driver, or weekend sports car. Even something stupid reliable like an ES350 or Mx-5, etc.

But I'd buy a Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX450/460/470 etc as a winter snow beater / off-road and outdoor activity vehicle as a second or third car without an issue right up to 200k miles as long as the owner count was less than three, and there were maintnance records.

Also, this all should be measured in engine hours, rather than miles. Odos are shit given the assumption that a motor can idle for 2-3x as long and only have 50k miles on it.

>Depends on the car and the use.

This.

If it's something like a 4Runner or an FJ Cruiser, you're fine to buy one with 200,000 miles because it'll go another 200,000 before it needs a rebuild.

Anything North American? No more than 30-40,000.

What exactly goes wrong in a high-mileage car?

Are the engine components themselves so worn down after 200,000 miles that they just fall apart?

Because stupid women owners dont do maintnance unless their husband does/schedules it for them. They let shit go forever and you buy an engine all sludged up with bullshit fuckall

>Stop acting like cars will magically last forever if basic maintenance is done.

They do.

200k Is the max mileage I'd purchase. I do all my own work so buying a $1000 shitbox and maintaining it for a few years is nbd

You're fucking retarded if you spend 10k to even REPLACE eng/trans, let alone rebuild

Lots of supporting stuff has reached its end and needs replacing. Bearings, shocks, joints, pulleys/belts, motors and pumps, hoses are worn out, lines corroded, etc.

In terms of the engine - depends on the car. Usually seals like head gaskets need to be replaced, but sometimes it means piston rings as well. If the engine is totally fucked, might need new sleeves/total rebuild - and ultimately not be worth the trouble.

If you're looking at high mileage cars, look at vehicles that have under-stressed engines - usually they will be a larger displacement for their respective design (i.e. a 5.7L V8, 4.0L V6, etc.).

Diesel engines tend to last way longer than gasoline engines too, but the supporting parts on the car will wear out at the same rate.

I'd buy a car with 300k miles if it was the right car.

I'd fuck a 300lbs girl if she was the right girl.

I bought my 5 cylinder Audi with 215k on it. Have driven it another 20k with no major problems.

>I've driven it 20,000 miles with no major problems

I would've hoped you'd get 20,000 miles without any problems.

What problems were these, and why were they not major?

I assume you're not just talking about the myriad pozzed condoms you've found hidden throughout the car, as is standard for any Audi owner.

found the Mercedes owner

lol that fucking video was great

he is seriously losing his marbles

Can confirm my Lada is about up for its second rebuild per manufacturer's recommendation

Well, it is a single action revolver so as long as he doesn't cock it like this one, it'd be fine.

Hammer was cocked, round chambered, live ammo.

He is Texan through and through.

The absolute madman.

which one was this, the timing laser video or something?

They saw you coming a mile away and realized they could charge whatever they wanted.

Yeah, but he spends half the video waving around a loaded .44 with the hammer cocked and his finger on the goddamn trigger.

He is seriously unhinged.

youtube.com/watch?v=dI0bz8klFmI

A friend of mine only buys BMWs with over 200K and he does just fine. I bought an American car with 130K and I've had to replace everything but the steering wheel in the last year.

BMWs are unique in that they're one extreme or the other.

Either the previous owner was a complete nincompoop and never did any maintenance, meaning you're buying a deathtrap/moneypit...OR they were meticulous with their maintenance and had it dealer serviced routinely. Those are the ones you want to buy. Usually these are M-spec or 5-7 series cars.

Don't ever buy a used entry-level BMW.

Not cost effective maintainence... There are non-wear items that can fail on Mass produced vehicles, it's like you live in a cave and ride a bus...

>$5k for new tranny
>not $400

>$1k for new fluids (including radiator, brakes, etc)
>not $70, $150 for good shit

>$500 for new tires
for good tires, sure

>$2k for other random shit that'll pop up
like totaling the fucking thing?

How long until he puts one in the engine block of a merc?

Odometers are pretty irrelevant desu. 200,000 easy, always serviced kms will be better than 100,000 thrashed, no oil change, overheated a couple of times kms. That being said I wouldnt pay big money for anything over 200,000 and wouldn't touch anything over 300,000 unless I intented on replacing shit or just needed a $1000 piece of shit to get me to work for a little while.

More like the dome of a Mercedes tech.

These Scotty memes are killing me tho

The friend I'm talking about buys E30s and E36s for $500 off Craigslist after they've been sitting in someone's backyard for five years.

I don't know if he's lucky or what, but he keeps getting cars that are great with a little maintenance.

Any car that's been sitting that long is going to have trouble. Seals/gaskets dry out and leak, the engine/trans gets moisture build up and corrosion, hoses dry out, lubricants get crusty, etc.

That stuff can be fixed, but your friend is honestly probably driving around cars that are seconds away from fucking exploding into pieces on the roadway.

My friend had the bellhousing of his old shitbox Golf explode on the highway - scariest fucking thing to ever happen when you're doing 90kmh.

Can somebody post the one where it says "IM GOING TO MAKE COLUMBINE LOOK LIKE A FUCKING JOKE"

Please and thank you.

nvm someone posted it already

my car has 191k nigger
ive spent MAYBE 2k on refreshing worn parts