What is the appeal of rotary engines?

For all the downsides and reliability issues of rotary engines, what causes them to have such a strong cult following in the automotive community?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OjwwV20iZYE
youtube.com/watch?v=Q-0BjrIq0ws
youtube.com/watch?v=r4efvIx5cVU
mazdarotary.net/porting.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=KhwKS7IdCYY
youtube.com/watch?v=wTHOqSP_KAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=KkpW14Fjl2w
youtube.com/watch?v=oDr5VKRFjdA
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pu38wqm7A
youtube.com/watch?v=HtVTIp5KPhE
youtube.com/watch?v=g8Vr3vofhvk
youtube.com/watch?v=bUBhJM2An34
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=OjwwV20iZYE

Same reasons there are people that spread AIDS as a hobby.

SOMEONE POST THAT "look how hard i can waste oil" MEME PLEASE

It's a performance engine first, a street engine second. Designed to BRAAAAAAAAAAP, not make 5 minute trips to the store. People who are willing to sacrifice fuel economy and check their engine a bit more than a more normal one can reap the performance benefits of a light, rev happy motor.

Super smooth power delivery, revs like mad, special snowflake factor, braps.

Special snowflake status

>1:33

Its not wasting it, it's injecting it to cool and lubricate the rotor.

You don't realize how much vibration piston engines create until you've driven something with almost no vibration at all. The way the engine smoothly revs is a completely alien feeling when you first drive one.

newfag pls go

Drive a cummins for a month then go back to your vehicle.

smoooooooth aaaaaass buuuuuuutter

they're actually reliable
why? because you have significantly less moving parts in a wankel engine.
The apex seals, ignition coils etc are the only real issues.

>the engine needing a rebuild every 50k miles is the only real issue
wew

>have to rebuild engine twice before clutch even needs replacing
>reliable

>confirmed for having never worked on a rotary engine
you can literally hold it

>you can literally pick it up and throw it out into the trash where it belongs
ftfy

>come on bro it's like totally easy to fix

okay cool but i think i'll keep driving cars that won't shit vital engine components out the tailpipe for no reason every so often

Pussy

perhaps it's me being a mechanic who's worked on volvos and audis my entire life, but rx7s and 8s just aren't that bad to me

BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

the seals that is

Smaller size for the same amount of power, smooth revs, i believe they're a bit more fuel efficient, etc.

you can raise the rev limit for better shifting points.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-0BjrIq0ws

Novelty.

>t. Assmad GM Fangirl

Same reason people like non x86 CPUs on computers.

the average 13b short block weighs ~250lbs

>boost
>not P-porting like you should be

youtube.com/watch?v=r4efvIx5cVU

Not really true, definitely not true, and I'd eat my own fucking testicles if it was true, in that order.

>P-porting
What's that?

if your rotary does something like that it's your fault

i.e. you tried to put way too much boost through it without properly building it up first (like any piston motor)

if it's a non-retarded build, the apex seals will wear over time and you will lose compression, but it will not be some catastrophic engine explosion or anything. For non-turbo 13Bs, or well-built turbo 13Bs this can be over 100k miles if maintained.

mazdarotary.net/porting.htm

smaller size per power is roughly true (vs a 4-stroke in general), rotaries are extremely smooth, so that is true, and you're right they aren't more fuel efficient

Question time.

It's a known meme that rotaries really do not like forced induction, and because of that rotaries are significantly more fragile than piston engines. However, rotaries are much simpler in design, seeing as they can be rebuilt. So my question is, would a WRC-style misfaiaringu shisutemu be a good match for a rotary, since the engine needs to be rebuilt anyway? Or will it completely and utterly destroy the engine under stress?

Reminder GM has never ever won Lemans

The misfiring system is only relevant if you have a turbo.

>Win Le Mans
>Buttmad losers cry to officials
>Get your engine banned because they can't compete

What a bunch of babies, you can taste how salty they must've been.

Didn't Mercedes also get their flat 12 engine banned as well?

probably since they're unique because normal sane people dont want to replace apex seals. It also gives a tonne of power for a small volume since it goes boom so many times,

>LE RELIABILITY IS SHIT XDDD

youtube.com/watch?v=KhwKS7IdCYY
youtube.com/watch?v=wTHOqSP_KAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=KkpW14Fjl2w
youtube.com/watch?v=oDr5VKRFjdA
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pu38wqm7A
youtube.com/watch?v=HtVTIp5KPhE
youtube.com/watch?v=g8Vr3vofhvk
youtube.com/watch?v=bUBhJM2An34

In short, they are fucking reliable, the majority of people who use them didn't fucking look at the manual given to them by Mazda or don't do their research.

THEY'RE NOT UNRELIABLE YOU STUPID FUCKS. YOU'RE JUST NOT TAKING CARE OF IT.

IT REQUIRES SPECIAL AND MORE INTENSIVE CARE THAN A PISTON ENGINE.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>IT REQUIRES SPECIAL AND MORE INTENSIVE CARE THAN A PISTON ENGINE.

exactly why it's stupid

>exactly why it's stupid
???
>wow its different and thus requires different methods, which means its stupid cause its not like everything else
??????

how fucking idiotic can you be.

>rules changed the year prior
>aco allows '90s cars to compete so they actually have a grid
>wins by attrition
>"it was banned. 2fast!!1!"

idiot

>In the early 1990s, Mercedes-Benz built a 3.5-litre M-291 flat-12 engine for endurance racing. This engine employed a cylinder-head design with exhaust ports where the intake ports would normally be (on top of the engine, pointing upwards). The intake ports are between the intake and exhaust camshafts, just above the spark-plugs, pointing at an outward angle from the vertical. Putting the exhaust system on top, rather than underneath, allowed the engine to ride much lower in the engine-bay of the C-291 (and later C-292).
>Changes in the rules by the FIA and ACO doomed its prospects.

Seems you're right. It is so stupid that you build an event about pushing the technological envelope then penalise anyone that innovates beyond x criteria.

>rotarycucks this assmad

k e k

udnerage carthrottle fags detected

oh wow i have to change my oil every 3k miles, and not bash the limiter while engine is cold...
just like every other performance car

at least it isnt an aircooled 911 that requires valve adjustments every 6 months

some niche bonuses and uniqueness is all
literal dorito power lul

The only appeal is that its different

its literally an automotive enthusiast version of being a fucking hipster

it has virtually no redeeming factors next to a piston engine

>oh wow i have to change my oil every 3k miles, and not bash the limiter while engine is cold...
>just like every other performance car
And mix your fuel, and replace apex seals, and rebuild the engine every 50k, and fail emissions, and get awful gas mileage, and make absolutely no torque until 7k and make absolutely no power until 7k, and make a fuck ton of heat and can't turbo it reliably, and can't do literally anything with it, and if you don't red line it the carbon build up will brick your engine, and burn oil, and have to put a quart of oil in a month and need to replace spark plugs every 5k, and clean the injectors every 2k, and change the dorito every 10k and make sure you don't redline because you'll blow apex seals, and get another engine rebuild and fill up every .004k, and lose races every day, and waste a ton of money supporting this fucking awful thing, and be worse at everything that a piston can do any time of the day, and have no practical applications for anything, and only win one lemans and lose every other lemans and miss many lemons, and get dropped by mazda, and change your oil every 3k while other dailies can go upwards of 10k, and just generally suck at absolutely everything because its a meme engine only used by hipsters

you're a wankel

>they're actually reliable
>why? because you have significantly less moving parts in a wankel engine.
>The apex seals, ignition coils etc are the only real issues.
they actually aren't reliable at all

>hipster
that's EV

Outstanding

LOL